MAFIA... and other forum games

Discussion about Mafia
Hakoshen at 4:03PM, March 28, 2009
(offline)
crocty
:P If you put the word game anywhere Hak won't be able to go on it

And yeah, game 2 was a distant memory, so I got rid of the mustachio and hat

Painfully true, however this is only true from 8:00A to 4:30P central, and I have been managing with my blackberry lately. The OS upgrade gives me some flexibility, but it's still no where near as good as a computer. I can't complain though, it's still something. Most of my replies from the other day were actually posted while I was driving on the highway.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
Aghammer at 6:05PM, March 28, 2009
(offline)
I hate that man.. I miss you during the day.. haha. I'm lucky that Nokia doesn't have those blocks and I can read /update while I'm waiting for files to upload or my code to compile or whatever. Of course some days are 8 hours of meetings… oh well, life always gets in the way ;)

Hakoshen
crocty
:P If you put the word game anywhere Hak won't be able to go on it

And yeah, game 2 was a distant memory, so I got rid of the mustachio and hat

Painfully true, however this is only true from 8:00A to 4:30P central, and I have been managing with my blackberry lately. The OS upgrade gives me some flexibility, but it's still no where near as good as a computer. I can't complain though, it's still something. Most of my replies from the other day were actually posted while I was driving on the highway.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:47AM
the2ndredbaron at 12:19PM, March 29, 2009
(online)
whoever is going to run the next game should post a signup thread.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:16PM
Hakoshen at 2:17PM, March 29, 2009
(offline)
Wasn't there some such about an election?
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
Niccea at 2:20PM, March 29, 2009
(offline)
Yes but red doesn't bother to pay attention to these things evidently.

Many people seem to be in favor of holding an election to determine the next GM. If that is the case, I would gladly hold the election. Might take a few days to get all those interested to post, and a few more to get votes taken care of.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:13PM
the2ndredbaron at 2:22PM, March 29, 2009
(online)
Shut your mouth Niccea! I just heard the talk, I didn't see a thread for it of anything. I figured we weren't doing it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:16PM
Hakoshen at 2:43PM, March 29, 2009
(offline)
the2ndredbaron
Shut your mouth Niccea! I just heard the talk, I didn't see a thread for it of anything. I figured we weren't doing it.

Hey, can you put it in the narrative a line where I'm yelling at Ozone with my last breath “I trusted you!” before he blows us up?
-Harkovast
Niccea at 2:54PM, March 29, 2009
(offline)
So, the options are. Do we hold the election in this thread or a new thread.

If it in a new thread, do we want it in forum games?

Will election choices be private? (I think it is a good idea)

Everything else is already planned out.
waff at 3:41PM, March 29, 2009
(online)
I'm for the election in this thread. and private choices.

'there is no “overkill” there is only “open fire” and “time to reload” rule #37
the things on my box are a dead squirell, a medal and a paper bag hat.
ow! I have shards of the fourth wall in my eye!
WAFF-MAN!! as of mafia VI
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:44PM
Product Placement at 4:09PM, March 29, 2009
(online)
Are we gonna pester the admins to create/petition a creation for a new category for the Mafia game?

The election should take place on a new topic. In fact I think that from now on, the progress of each cycle should be something like this.

An election thread. A topic to figure out who's the next GM. Created by the previous GM.

A sign up thread. A topic to recruit volunteers. Created by the newly elected GM.

The main game thread. A topic where the game takes place. Created by the new GM

A discussion thread. Topics that don't belong to the game but are related are discussed here. Created by the new GM.

Obviously this is the exactly the same procedure that took place during this cycle except that I added the election part.

Any objections?

P.S. For the election I think that the rules I previously mentioned should be in effect in addition to this one.

*If the elected GM fails to create an election topic within a set amount of time(don't know how long that is), he forfeits his title and it is given to the runner up.

This rule is important so we don't need a re-election in case the new GM turns out to be a no-show.
Previously mentioned rules.
I
*Anyone running has to be dedicated to the game and monitor it frequently since he is the final judge when it comes to confusions to the rules.

*He has to follow the schedule that he sets up.

*Anyone running has to submit an example of their narrative so that people can decide which one they like best.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
Niccea at 9:20PM, March 29, 2009
(offline)
Well I was volunteering to run the election since I won't be participating in the next game anyways (neutral party).
Product Placement at 9:22PM, March 29, 2009
(online)
That also works. But I figured that the rules would be nice to prevent any confusion during later cycles.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
gullas at 1:10AM, March 30, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
Are we gonna pester the admins to create/petition a creation for a new category for the Mafia game?

The election should take place on a new topic. In fact I think that from now on, the progress of each cycle should be something like this.

An election thread. A topic to figure out who's the next GM. Created by the previous GM.

A sign up thread. A topic to recruit volunteers. Created by the newly elected GM.

The main game thread. A topic where the game takes place. Created by the new GM

A discussion thread. Topics that don't belong to the game but are related are discussed here. Created by the new GM.

Obviously this is the exactly the same procedure that took place during this cycle except that I added the election part.

Any objections?

P.S. For the election I think that the rules I previously mentioned should be in effect in addition to this one.

*If the elected GM fails to create an election topic within a set amount of time(don't know how long that is), he forfeits his title and it is given to the runner up.

This rule is important so we don't need a re-election in case the new GM turns out to be a no-show.
Previously mentioned rules.
I
*Anyone running has to be dedicated to the game and monitor it frequently since he is the final judge when it comes to confusions to the rules.

*He has to follow the schedule that he sets up.

*Anyone running has to submit an example of their narrative so that people can decide which one they like best.
I seccond what he said….
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:39PM
Ozoneocean at 1:24AM, March 30, 2009
(online)
Hakoshen
Hey, can you put it in the narrative a line where I'm yelling at Ozone with my last breath “I trusted you!” before he blows us up?
You had a bomb strapped to your back all along… :)
But I didn't really want you to die, that's why you had the bomb on: so the other mafia wouldn't kill you and waste the bomb.
In fact I asked the other mafia NOT to kill you, Agammer, or Niccea… -that was after the second night when the mafia did their first kills.

—————–
—————–

I was talking to Skool about maybe having a mafia game in General Discussion, just as a special thing.
The sign-up would be in there too. What do you think?
That'd have to be a game with straight forward, simple rules so it'd be easy for new people. Like our first game was.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
gullas at 4:49AM, March 30, 2009
(offline)
That actually is a good idea, but the game would have to be like 20-30+ game to get more n00bZoRz to play some mafia :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:39PM
Hakoshen at 5:15AM, March 30, 2009
(offline)
ozoneocean
I used you like a tool and then threw you away.

lol!

Well played. Well played.
-Harkovast
Niccea at 6:13AM, March 30, 2009
(offline)
ozoneocean
I was talking to Skool about maybe having a mafia game in General Discussion, just as a special thing.
That'd have to be a game with straight forward, simple rules so it'd be easy for new people. Like our first game was.

That would be nice. That means we have to get someone to actually go with the original design. Ok. I guess we better start picking. Should I put the election here or on a new thread? Just so you know, these are the rules I have for being elected and being a GM so far.

I might have missed a few because I have been simply going around and finding as many rules as I can and merging them together.

GM Rules
1. You can not run a game twice in a row.
2. In order to be a GM, you must have actively played in at least two previous mafia game.
3. The times must be posted in Greenich Mean Time. You must also adhere to the schedule that you put up. If you can't follow it, don't do it. And give forwarning if the narrative will be early/late.
4. If you change a role drastically, you should rename that role to avoid confusion. (If we are going back to basics, it won't be a problem.)
5. You put a sample narrative up on your sign up sheet so that people will know early on what to expect from your clues.

Recommended: You tell the mafia to submit their name to you. (Really highly recommended, I have a long list of sissy names for them now.)

Election Rules
1. The elections are probably be run by the previous GM
2. There will be a few days for sign ups. In your sign up you state why you think you would be a good GM and a basic outline of what you intend to do.
3. There will be a couple of days of voting. The votes will be PQed to the election head and will be annonymous.
4. The elected GM will have a day or so to make sign ups. If they do not make them in a reasonable time, the runner up is the next GM and so on and so on.

That is all I got so far…
Hakoshen at 6:56AM, March 30, 2009
(offline)
So would the narrative part of the election go like “Gullas kills Niccea” and those running post their narratives for it?
-Harkovast
Aghammer at 7:01AM, March 30, 2009
(offline)
In my head, you sound just like the adults on the Charlie Brown specials….

just kidding… great work :D I look forward to the elections.

Niccea
ozoneocean

That would be nice. That means we have to get someone to actually go with the original design. Ok. I guess we better start picking. Should I put the election here or on a new thread? Just so you know, these are the rules I have for being elected and being a GM so far.

I might have missed a few because I have been simply going around and finding as many rules as I can and merging them together.

GM Rules
1. You can not run a game twice in a row.
2. In order to be a GM, you must have actively played in at least two previous mafia game.
3. The times must be posted in Greenich Mean Time. You must also adhere to the schedule that you put up. If you can't follow it, don't do it. And give forwarning if the narrative will be early/late.
4. If you change a role drastically, you should rename that role to avoid confusion. (If we are going back to basics, it won't be a problem.)
5. You put a sample narrative up on your sign up sheet so that people will know early on what to expect from your clues.

Recommended: You tell the mafia to submit their name to you. (Really highly recommended, I have a long list of sissy names for them now.)

Election Rules
1. The elections are probably be run by the previous GM
2. There will be a few days for sign ups. In your sign up you state why you think you would be a good GM and a basic outline of what you intend to do.
3. There will be a couple of days of voting. The votes will be PQed to the election head and will be annonymous.
4. The elected GM will have a day or so to make sign ups. If they do not make them in a reasonable time, the runner up is the next GM and so on and so on.

That is all I got so far…
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:47AM
Niccea at 7:34AM, March 30, 2009
(offline)
Hakoshen
So would the narrative part of the election go like “Gullas kills Niccea” and those running post their narratives for it?
Correct. Or the GM kills Someone. (that way they won't be tempted to recycled clues).
Product Placement at 8:12AM, March 30, 2009
(online)
Yeah. It's a good idea that the sample narrative is about themselves killing whoever is running the election. That way people can compare the clues with the person who writes them. It has to be elusive, yet somehow point at him.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Niccea at 8:44AM, March 30, 2009
(offline)
Yep yep. That is what I was thinking.
Product Placement at 6:21PM, April 29, 2009
(online)
During the course of the current game (Mafia VI) we ended up with a particular problem where a regular gamer wanted to join a game that was already undergoing (Harkovast). Since we were still on our election face (Day 1), I decided to let him in but since the roles had already been dished out I was forced to give him a townie role, making him a 100% guarantied innocent.

An interesting question popped up in my head as I was reading through the comments of the game. How about introducing an official “innocent” role to the game. 1-3 people in the game could receive the role of “Innocent Townie”, “Good Samaritan”, “Law biding Citizen” or something similar. They'd have the role description of a Law biding townie that's so die hard pro town that it's considered impossible for them to break the law. They'd basically start the game with 100% immunity against lynching. Such individual would be prime candidates for the election phase since everyone can trust that they're not mafia, however their title makes them a prime target for mob hits since it would only be in the interest of the mafia to get rid of them.

So what do you guys think about creating innocents for future installments for Mafia?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 10:53PM, April 29, 2009
(online)
I'm for it. I mean if they don't work out we can always take them out next time :D

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:17PM
Prank at 1:51AM, April 30, 2009
(online)
It would make election based on luck rather than focus. What if we get someone who is not used to the game or busy at the moment as a pro innocent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
Product Placement at 1:56AM, April 30, 2009
(online)
Prank
It would make election based on luck rather than focus. What if we get someone who is not used to the game or busy at the moment as a pro innocent.

He'll probably not run since he a)won't know that he can since he's a noob or b) won't be around to campaign since he's so busy.

The major problem with that role as I previously mentioned is that they're sure to be targeted early by the mafia. However since they get such a huge advantage campaigning against non-innocents, I'd say it weighs up.

If elected they'll be protected.

Hey I'm a poet and I don't know it.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Prank at 2:04AM, April 30, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
Prank

He'll probably not run since he a)won't know that he can since he's a noob or b) won't be around to campaign since he's so busy.

The mayor problem with that role as I previously mentioned is that they're sure to be targeted early by the mafia. However since they get such a huge advantage campaigning against non-innocents, I'd say it weighs up.

If elected they'll be protected.

Hey I'm a poet and I don't know it.

Is their innocence announced officially? The protection balances it, since although the mafia is determined to kill them, they can't right away and will be forced to kill others. I'm sure a newbie or someone somewhat busy could find the way or time to run, but do it rather badly due to their circumstances.
Product Placement at 2:12AM, April 30, 2009
(online)
Prank
Is their innocence announced officially? The protection balances it, since although the mafia is determined to kill them, they can't right away and will be forced to kill others. I'm sure a newbie or someone somewhat busy could find the way or time to run, but do it rather badly due to their circumstances.
Yes, I suppose they'd have to be announced officially. Otherwise there's no point in their role. The idea is that these people are the townsfolk that are behind all the town rallies, that strong widowed wife that fought evil corporations polluting our water, the ex-commissioners that closed down that drug ring, that honest lawyer that promised to clean up the town. Men that people rally behind.

Being publicly announced as NOT MAFIA will give them huge advantage when running for office but they may not run. People also might decide to vote for someone else and take the risk that he might be mafia. Introducing roles like these would make it much harder for the mafia to run for office.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Prank at 2:14AM, April 30, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
Prank
Yes, I suppose they'd have to be announced officially. Otherwise there's no point in their role. The idea is that these people are the townsfolk that are behind all the town rallies, that strong widowed wife that fought evil corporations polluting our water, ex-commissioners, that honest lawyer that promised to clean up the town. Men that people rally behind.

Being publicly announced as NOT MAFIA will give them huge advantage when running for office but they may not. People also might decide to vote for someone else and take the risk that he might be mafia. Introducing roles like these would make it much harder for the mafia to run for office.

True, I think it's becoming a serious issue. I would reinforce the idea that just because you have it, does not mean you NEED TO RUN since some people might feel that way.
Product Placement at 2:22AM, April 30, 2009
(online)
Prank
True, I think it's becoming a serious issue. I would reinforce the idea that just because you have it, does not mean you NEED TO RUN since some people might feel that way.
Agreed. The title does not include an “auto run for office”. They'll have to actually commit themselves to the campaign.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon