MAFIA... and other forum games

Discussion about Mafia
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 6:18PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
I've dicided agianst it cause I'll probably not get that role and it'd be impossible for me to get pardoner three times in a row without it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:17PM
Niccea at 7:41PM, April 30, 2009
(offline)
How bout we start talking themes too? Spice it up a little.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:13PM
Product Placement at 9:21PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
Yeah… some people are entertaining a reverse mafia game where everyone is mafia except for few undercover agents. Heck you even could start a survivor island theme where some of you are cannibals eating the other people. I've never been thrilled about the idea because it's essentially the same game only with different names. I guess a creative GM could make it fun though.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
Niccea at 9:24PM, April 30, 2009
(offline)
Just thought it would add spice. Maybe there are some roles that are only specific to that game/theme. I was just putting out ideas cause using themes has been brought up several times before.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 11:08PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
I like the theme idea. The reverse mafia sounds fun.

Niccea at 8:30AM, May 1, 2009
(offline)
TheFlyingGreenMonkey
Thank you.
Aghammer at 9:39AM, May 1, 2009
(offline)
Me too.. it can be reverse-mafia, or zombie mafia, Alien invasion (where the aliens are pod-people… scary!)

I wonder if it would be possible to spread the roles around a little? It would be fun if every townie has some ability rather than sitting and waiting or voting on a lynch. For example, the power of the detective can be broken up a little and the vig role can be shared in some way (one person can do hits at night, the one can do something similar to the “horsehead in bed” thing), etc. Would be a lot more for the GM to keep up with but might keep people more engaged (or simply cause more problems when the people don't play).

Just throwing it out there for comments…

Niccea
TheFlyingGreenMonkey
Thank you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:47AM
the2ndredbaron at 12:11PM, May 1, 2009
(online)
I wasn't aware the rules had changed so much this game, could a mad hatter always die from putting a bomb on the paranoid.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:16PM
Niccea at 1:05PM, May 1, 2009
(offline)
the2ndredbaron
I wasn't aware the rules had changed so much this game, could a mad hatter always die from putting a bomb on the paranoid.
No.
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 10:16PM, May 1, 2009
(online)
Yeah mafia went from really powerful in MafiaV to very weak this time around. If goody goody two shoes role is ever made real Mafia will have to be powered up. I'm thinking 3 killing roles Mad hatter and the Godfather with the same powers as in this game.

the2ndredbaron at 10:50PM, May 1, 2009
(online)
We would have been fine if it wasn't for the bomber dies/paranoid thing. I didn't think anyone expected that to happen. This was the first game that it has happen and PP (who has done me a huge favor this game so no complaints) caught us by surpise on that one.
Product Placement at 1:40AM, May 2, 2009
(online)
Niccea
the2ndredbaron
No.

I admit that the rules didn't specify that scenario but I decided that if the paranoid would work he'd have to kill ANYONE who interacted with him during a night phase. Whether it's a bodyguard, paramedic, mafia or a hatter. Ironically it was Crocty himself who made me think about it. He was very diligent in sending questions, asking for clarification about this and that situation. I informed him that the paranoid would in fact kill him if he'd attempted a bomb implantation on him few days ago so he was aware of the risk.

I tried to make all of my rules no nonsense. Maybe the mafia was underpowered in this cycle but that was a result of them appearing way to strong in the previous two games. We're playing with allot of factors in order to balance the game play for both sides.

The idea of introducing innocents would weaken them even further since it would be harder for them to get elected.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Product Placement at 1:50AM, May 2, 2009
(online)
Aghammer
Me too.. it can be reverse-mafia, or zombie mafia, Alien invasion (where the aliens are pod-people… scary!)
Pod-people you say?

Actually that doesn't sound like a bad idea. You could start a game with 1 infected. Every night he'd infect 1 person who gains the power to infect others as well. They spread would be exponential since their numbers would swell at the rate of 1-2-4-8 etc. In order to counter it we'd need to figure out some sort of mechanism for the townies to use to fight them.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
the2ndredbaron at 1:53AM, May 2, 2009
(online)
Having to kill all the townies is a little insane. Out number them is one thing but all of them? I know with two people this game is going to be a war of attrition but I would like to keep the rule that in future games you just have to out number them.
Product Placement at 2:07AM, May 2, 2009
(online)
the2ndredbaron
Having to kill all the townies is a little insane. Out number them is one thing but all of them? I know with two people this game is going to be a war of attrition but I would like to keep the rule that in future games you just have to out number them.

Yeah. When the mafia outnumbers the townies, it's given that they've won.

I'm assuming this is a response to my views on “should mafia be allowed to recruit” so let me ad. If the townies want to give victory to the mafia by “joining them” then I'll give it my blessings.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Niccea at 10:42AM, May 2, 2009
(offline)
Which i don't think should work personally. Early in this thread we threw out the idea if the converted townie role. It was just to problematic when dealing with the numbers. I wouldn't think it would constitute as a true win. Just kinda a cheap trick.

But yeah. In the first game it didn't matter in regards to the paranoid. I left a horsehead in the paranoid's bed then.
Product Placement at 5:08PM, May 2, 2009
(online)
I made a rather long winded revision to the GM election rules. Trying to include all factors I could think of. Do you think it should be shorter and/or do you feel like something is missing or should be changed.

Veteran players only. The GM needs to posses a fair understanding on how the game runs. Therefore we require that the applicant has played the game at least twice.

No encore performance As the current GM, it is up to me to pass the title to someone new. Once you're done running a game, you will also be expected to give someone else a chance. Don't start a new game. Instead you will run an election like this one where we pick a new GM. Also, you cant be a candidate yourself. This will ensure that we get new blood into the game and that the rules are regularly picked at from a different perspective. GMs from previous games are free to run again and are encouraged to do so. Who knows? If they were good enough, people will flock to play their game again.

Explain your goal. What do you plan to do as the new GM? Do you plan to run a standard Mafia game? If so are you gonna change the rules/roles and/or introduce new ones? Are you perhaps gonna play a game with a different theme? Reverse Mafia perhaps or maybe zombie apocalypse? If so explain the new structure of the game. Changing the formula is OK. It happens in every game. Just be careful not to introduce a change so radical that could scare people away from voting you. You can discuss rule changes and different themes here to see if people would like it.

Pick a schedule and stick with it It is important that the GM is punctual in maintaining the game. Do you plan to post narrations every 24 hours at a specific hour? Make sure that you'll be here to on time to do so. If something comes up that would force you to be early or late, post a warning to let people know with an explanation. It's encouraged that you run the game using GMT timezone schedule since the players hail from all over the world spanning different time zones and a GMT conversion table is the easiest one for everyone to access. If you plan on using a different time zone schedule like an American one, Make sure you advertise it well and post an appropriate conversion table for everyone to access.
An example of a GMT conversion table:

Show us your stuff The GM is expected to write narrations to explain what's going on throughout the game. A good writer can make the game come alive and encourage players to come back to read what's going on. Show us your stuff and create a scenario where YOU(the applicant) kill ME (Product Placement). In this narration it is important that you do not directly tell us that it was you who committed the crime but instead leave a clue that's based on your name, avatar, signature, profile, comic(if you have any), something that can link you to the murder. Try making a link to you that can be figured out with some research while at the same time not blatantly obvious. You can throw in red herrings but please refer from directly connecting the herrings to innocents. Make them instead vague things that could point at many people. Finally, be creative, funny, dramatic, brutal, serious, descriptive, vague, long winded or short and to the point. Pick the style you feel comfortable with and like to use. Impress us with what you can do.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Niccea at 5:15PM, May 2, 2009
(offline)
Looks good.
Product Placement at 5:19PM, May 2, 2009
(online)
I'm curious though. Should we stick with two played games in order to apply for a GM or should we say that one is enough. My understanding of Mafia was pretty solid by the time I was done playing once.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Aghammer at 5:59PM, May 2, 2009
(offline)
Excellent post Product. My take on your question is that one game is enough…. since we are voting for them anyway. Hopefully the voters can determine if the GM-to-be has the knowledge level to make it work. And, maybe, changing it to one game will expand out pool of people that actually want to GM a game. :)

Product Placement
I'm curious though. Should we stick with two played games in order to apply for a GM or should we say that one is enough. My understanding of Mafia was pretty solid by the time I was done playing once.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:47AM
Product Placement at 6:14PM, May 2, 2009
(online)
Hmm… Yes. I think I'll shrink the game requirement down to one. I have faith that the voters will pick a good DM.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Niccea at 9:15PM, May 2, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
This is actually the rules on another site that runs regualar mafia games. This is also one that Skool insisted on.

Also, sure the basics will be understood in a game, but this is a breathing game. THings change every time.
Product Placement at 11:04PM, May 2, 2009
(online)
Niccea
Also, sure the basics will be understood in a game, but this is a breathing game. THings change every time.
A valid point. But as things may change the fundamentals normally stay the same. Unless someone introduces a vastly different system and I don't think a relatively new player will risk messing with the formula that much.

Anyone around who wants to try and play test a new theme can apply to become a GM.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Niccea at 9:52PM, May 3, 2009
(offline)
First game is to understand the rules.
Second game is to show dedication to the game.
Product Placement at 12:20AM, May 4, 2009
(online)
Well, since the only two people, who have applied for the GM position thus far, are veteran players with more then two games under their belts, I suppose there's no harm, no foul.

Anyways, I'm gonna give other prospect candidates til the end of the day before I stop taking in applications and open for votes.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
waff at 5:13PM, May 5, 2009
(online)
narratives have really…'niggled' at me when it comes to mafia. although I only have 6 games under my belt I have really enjoyed those with well written narratives (BK's, Humorman's and pp's) although I feel that say about an hour (maybe 1 and 1/2) from the closing dates of the day/night cycles (when the votes/actions would be official) those who are due to die could be contacted by whomever the GM is at the time and get a chance to add thier own mark on the narratives (defiant last stand, litrature quote or a joke no one should know the answer too for example).('course I'm not really sure as to what would as allowed for this so I'm asking for your views on what I just said and how far should the ‘barriers’ extend).

'there is no “overkill” there is only “open fire” and “time to reload” rule #37
the things on my box are a dead squirell, a medal and a paper bag hat.
ow! I have shards of the fourth wall in my eye!
WAFF-MAN!! as of mafia VI
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:44PM
Product Placement at 5:26PM, May 5, 2009
(online)
I used that policy to a certain degree. I informed Humorman of his upcoming instalynch in order to ask him if he wanted to depart some final words. Instead he posted his famous goodbye on the forum. Prank and Green Monkey wasn't online when it became apparent to me that they were due to be lynched. The only guy who ended up having a control of his speeches and ending was Baron. All speeches that he made throughout the game were written by himself. Ochitsukanai also relayed in a request to go down fighting in case she was ever hit. Her reasoning was that since she had bodyguard training she should know how to defend herself. Thus I decided to make all the bodyguard related deaths more action packed. Unfortunately, Baron also made a request that he wanted Ochi's death to be brutal so I had to twin those two factors together. Also Greenmonkeys lynch was heavily influenced by suggestions made on the forum.

All in all I hope that people enjoyed themselves.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Product Placement at 1:35PM, May 27, 2009
(online)
Still promoting the idea of “innocent” titles in order to level the playing field against the mafia. I wrote this during the last GM election and decided to re post it here so that it wouldn't be lost in the sea of old topics.

Me, myself
I suggested the idea of introducing “the innocent one” or “a model citizen” or “local champion” to the game. 1-3 people are given this title and it becomes publicly know to all that they're not mafia. These people are free to run for mayor or pardoner and people are free to vote for them or not. Naturally, these people will get a huge advantage if they do decide to run but the natural drawback is that they'd undoubtedly end up being priority targets for the mafia.

The character description would be that these are the people who become the public figures behind town rallies. They fight for the people, against corruption. They're your local Martin Luther King, Erin Brockovich and Nelson Mandela. It's considered impossible that these people have any criminal connections and thus are fully trusted by all.

By introducing individuals like these it would become harder for mafia to infiltrate the election due to the huge advantage that these people would get. This doesn't mean that these people are guarantied to win, if they run for election at all. Someone who people like and trust who doesn't carry that title may still win after all.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
crocty at 1:42PM, May 27, 2009
(offline)
Actually it would be impossible for the bad guys to win, as long as it's used well.

The innocent role could just tell everyone to tell them their roles, and seeing as though you'd know they're good guys, everyone would, except the four bad guys, who would then be lynched, seeing as though they're evil~
I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:53AM
Product Placement at 1:59PM, May 27, 2009
(online)
If we start with, say… one innocent, to see how it would work we could see if this role, makes or breaks the mafia.

The whole idea of introducing this character is to create a character that everyone can comfortably reveal their role to. He'd get a natural advantage if he runs for mayor and at the same time becomes a prime target for the mafia.

I personally think that the mafia has a little to much of an advantage when it comes to the election. It's way to easy for them to get a seat in the town leadership. It should be harder for them to do so in my opinion.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon