Debate and Discussion

Do Americans actually care about the Brits?
The Author at 3:36AM, March 4, 2009
(online)
While Americas presidental campaign was happening, it was a big thing on our news.
When Obama won, and was inagranated, again it was a big thing on our news.
9/11, again, a big thing in our news.
Anything that seems to happen in America is a big thing for some reason.

Now I myself don't really care about the presidents, and all the crap (minus 9/11 of course), but what I want to know is…

Does anything that happen in Britain, actually get on the news in America?
Did the Prime Minister campaign get on the American news?
How big was the new broadcast about the bombings that happened in London on American news?
Does America really care about what happens over here the same way we do over there?
Aw crap, there goes my confidence again!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
Aurora Moon at 5:32AM, March 4, 2009
(offline)
Good question.

well, The bombings certainly did make the news here… I remember reading about the event in my newspaper. But I think it was mainly because it was an terrorist-related incident more than anything else.

You see, the news media here seems to love playing up any terrorist-related or even bombing-related incidents whenever it takes place and air that sort of news to death too… they'll even broadcast it like five times over the span of the whole day.

Just as to say– “See? The terrorists are EVERYWHERE! That's why you should feel scared! This is why America needs to go to other countries to curb the terrorists!”

Otherwise, they don't really publicly air any news about Britain…. at least, not ever since Princess Diana died. She used to be big here.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
Skullbie at 5:54AM, March 4, 2009
(online)
Hah oh lord no. The biggest thing recently on our news about Britain was those London bombings, and even that was just rigged to freak everyone out about our iraq problem (really the news spent nearly 3 weeks bawking about that stupid plane that went down because geese got in the engine :gem: no i don't mean 9/11) I don't recall hearing anything about your prime minister, there are people here that think the queen rules.

We DO keep tabs on posh/beckam and that promiscuous prince on E, but the only people that watch that channel are 13 year olds seeking masturbation fodder and my mom.

Does Britian report on other countries besides us to the same extent? It's like we're like some patriotic toilet with jewel encrusted turds that's spotlight to the world, or maybe that's what the media WANTS us to think B)

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:47PM
DAJB at 7:36AM, March 4, 2009
(online)
Skullbie
there are people here that think the queen rules.
She does. God bless 'er! ;-)

Skullbie
the only people that watch that channel are 13 year olds seeking masturbation fodder and my mom.
That is a really disturbing demographic!

Skullbie
Does Britian report on other countries besides us to the same extent?
Nope. The US gets coverage because it's big and, generally speaking, if something bad is happening there, it's likely to happen here within a year or two. There's usually a little coverage of Presidential elections in France and Germany but not much and practically none for other countries.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
The Author at 8:36AM, March 4, 2009
(online)
DAJB
Skullbie
Does Britian report on other countries besides us to the same extent?
Nope. The US gets coverage because it's big and, generally speaking, if something bad is happening there, it's likely to happen here within a year or two. There's usually a little coverage of Presidential elections in France and Germany but not much and practically none for other countries.

Actually yeah…
The bush fires in Aussieland were on the news practically everyday.
There's Red Nose Day, which is all about children in Africa!
There's that presidential thing happening in some 3rd world country that keeps popping up in the news too!

But most of the news is about America. For some reason we (and I don't mean me) love the Americans.
Even the Super Bowl was advertised and televised even though it was on at 1 freakin' am.
DAJB at 8:46AM, March 4, 2009
(online)
The Author
Actually yeah…
There's that presidential thing happening in some 3rd world country that keeps popping up in the news too!
But those things are only covered because of the disaster factor. We'd get very little news about an Australian election, for example … and certainly not enough for anyone here to be able to name the candidates!
Hawk at 9:05AM, March 4, 2009
(online)
I care about the Brits!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
The Author at 11:17AM, March 4, 2009
(online)
DAJB
The Author
Actually yeah…
But those things are only covered because of the disaster factor. We'd get very little news about an Australian election, for example … and certainly not enough for anyone here to be able to name the candidates!
Ehhh, good point I suppose!

Hawk
I care about the Brits!
Proove it!
Hyena H_ll at 1:11PM, March 4, 2009
(online)
In general? Nope. I bet most Americans couldn't even name the Prime Minister.

Personally I… well, kinda do. I listen to the BBC International News Hour daily on NPR, if that counts. I like getting a non-American perspective on world news.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
megan_rose at 6:34PM, March 4, 2009
(online)
As much as I enjoy British culture, I am ashamed to admit I know next to nothing about your politics. All I know is that your prime minister looks like Terry Jones from Monty Python. *cries from shame*
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
Orin J Master at 7:40PM, March 4, 2009
(online)
C-Span (a channel that more or less shows government information and meetings) shows british parliment(is it a parliment, or am i thinking of the russian ones) stuff for a small portion of it's programming. we also get a few of your news shows, but mostly they just want you sitcoms and other silliness.

there was a lot of reporting on the london bombings….on the channels noone really watches except for me. nice job on that, by the way. around here there would have been mass lynchings.

as for the last question: really, have you noticed how the bulk of this country, after sitting through four years of the worst, most distructive and impolotic democraticly elected world leader in history opted to give him another four when they had the chance because the other guy was too boring? most Americans don't care what happen outside of their egos.

and we're the guys with more nukes than everyone else combined.

please make with the funny sitcoms before they get pissy. and Doctor Who, that show's brilliant. you have some really good Sci-Fi writers over there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
machinehead at 8:48PM, March 4, 2009
(online)
I like British people for the most part. I mean come on, James Bond kicks ass. Do I know much about British politics? Nope, but I don't really know much about ours either. I don't really have anything against any country, except the French. They just piss me off.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
BffSatan at 11:07PM, March 4, 2009
(online)
I would assume not, It's probably even worse for Australia. The Australian media focused a lot of atention to the presidential race, I would assume 99% of Americans wouldn't even know who the prime minister of Australia is. (not that that's their fault)

I guess since America is the economic capital of the western world the winner makes a difference everywhere, so it's not just Britain and Australia who would feel a little like America doesn't care, it's just about every country in the world. And I don't blame them, who wants to here about the elections in Costa Rica?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
DAJB at 11:39PM, March 4, 2009
(online)
megan_rose
As much as I enjoy British culture, I am ashamed to admit I know next to nothing about your politics. All I know is that your prime minister looks like Terry Jones from Monty Python. *cries from shame*
Hmmm - there is something quite Pythonesque about the current state of our government policies. I think you might be onto something there!
ozoneocean at 12:57AM, March 5, 2009
(online)
I listen to British news a lot. It's interesting. The most interesting thing is the innate, inbuilt revulsion the mainstream seem to have for their political incumbents: right or left wing, it doesn't matter, they're all automatically incompetent, F***ing moron, cretinous imbeciles… apparently.

It's no wonder politics in the U.K. has a certain amount of trouble with things. Those poor guys are expected to take the blame for every short term little issue and compete for news space with moronic celebrities of every sort (music stars, reality stars, film stars, sports stars), who's ideas and opinions are given equal weight to those of the politicians.

…And they still have their residual class culture and love hate relationship with it. My goodness, I'd rather listen to the opinion of some inbred 30th generation chinless wonder than the current crop of wanker celebs.

The celeb focus harms Britain's politics. It's shameful to see Gordon Brown trying to appeal to that demographic, and everything David Cameron does is designed to somehow fit in with the current media/youth/celeb zeitgeist. That bland nothing of a man twists and turns and angles himself constantly trying to find a way to best appeal, meanwhile he has no real positions or ideas worth talking about.

And heaven help the lib democrats! The only viable alternative to labor or the Tories and they're despised by all.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
bravo1102 at 3:27AM, March 5, 2009
(online)
It's that common language. British politics and news is more accessible to American audiences. I also catch the BBC news at times. And I've been watching British TV shows on PBS and A&E since 1974.

But the great majority of Americans? Some of them think that Britain (and Canada) are states! Didn't the USA annex them after WWII?

I'd prefer a switch back to the rabid Anglophobia of the 19th Century. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Product Placement at 9:45AM, March 5, 2009
(online)
I listen to BBC world occasionally. They give you the gist of what's happening in many places in the world. The political situation in Zimbabwe, the Australian bushfire, the Hindu violence against Christians in India, opium farming in Afghanistan. And of course they pay much attention to American and Britain.

Icelandic news medium is twofold. We classify them as local news and foreign. Most news mediums and broadcasts, separate them, first covering what's happening at home and then proceed to tell us what's happening abroad. The importance of which country we pay attention to tends to be related how close they are, both politically and geologically. We follow what's happening in Scandinavia, Britain, rest of Europe and of course, the States. If the news is interesting enough elsewhere, it get's some cover, but usually not much. However, there's one thing that always get's the attention of the media here. If our country is ever mentioned, in anything, anywhere, no matter how insignificant it is. It's always among the headlines. Iceland scored high in some sort of human standards of living list? Headlines! An Icelandic athlete won an award while participating in games in Greece? Headlines! A Chinese based business hires Icelandic consultant to study the viability of creating geothermal plants in China? Headlines! A foreign tourist gave a negative remark about Iceland in his blog? Headlines? Yes! Headlines!
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
dcole at 10:59AM, March 5, 2009
(online)
We care about Britain! Otherwise, where would all our Doctor Who episodes come from.

Though I guess we'd just remake it like we did with Life on Mars, the Office, No Heroics, Whose Line is it Anyway, etc. Though it would probably have Kevin Sorbo and Starbuck from Battlestar, and the Tardis would be a Scion TC.
Daniel Cole
Writer/Artist, Carbon and Space
Magazine Editor, The Frontiersman
www.brokenfrontier.com
Twitter: @CarbonandSpace

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
DAJB at 11:10AM, March 5, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
If our country is ever mentioned, in anything, anywhere, no matter how insignificant it is. It's always among the headlines. Iceland scored high in some sort of human standards of living list? Headlines! An Icelandic athlete won an award while participating in games in Greece? Headlines! A Chinese based business hires Icelandic consultant to study the viability of creating geothermal plants in China? Headlines! A foreign tourist gave a negative remark about Iceland in his blog? Headlines? Yes! Headlines!
You missed out the Icelandic savings banks spearheading the rush into financial crisis … Headlines?
;-)
Product Placement at 9:51PM, March 5, 2009
(online)
DAJB
You missed out the Icelandic savings banks spearheading the rush into financial crisis … Headlines?
;-)

Most definitely a Headline.

Yes. I remembered that they gave Iceland a pretty big cover during that time. Still working on resolving that as a matter of fact. We toppled our government while it happened. Working on a new constitution at the moment.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
ozoneocean at 4:02AM, March 6, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
Headlines!
It'd be a short-cut to popularity to make your webcomic about Iceland…

If there were more people there :(
————-

I don't know what local Australian news focuses on really, I don't absorb much of it. The only Australian news service I listen to a lot of is “news Radio” which has rebroadcasts from the BBC, Deutsch Welle, NPR, Radio Canada, Netherlands radio… Even the news I look at online is the international kind. From the snippets of more local stuff I do see it seems like everywhere else: obsessed with the home country (in this case Australia)- what the citizens are doing overseas, how others see us, how many awards our actors win… International Disasters are reported for shock value but not made a big deal of unless an Australian was involved. The rest is meaningless, ephemeral, repetitive stuff like what such and such politician said in a sound-byte yesterday, how sports teams are going, how shares are going.

The main thing that turned me off the more common every day news for good was when celeb news crept in. I wouldn't mind hearing that Brittany spears had been in a princess Die style car smash but I don't give two F**ks whether she's a good mother or not.

-Plus, when you listen only to international news reported by your own country, or from any country (if you only listen to the one service), then you get a VERY skewed view of the world. ALL news services are biased to some extent to their own country's perspective and will always set some people up as villains and some as the good guys, it's sickening when you see it from a more outside perspective.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
Product Placement at 1:08PM, March 6, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Product Placement
Headlines!
Heck! I'm amazed this discussion hasn't made the news yet.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
The Author at 12:19AM, March 7, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
ozoneocean
Product Placement
Headlines!
Heck! I'm amazed this discussion hasn't made the news yet.

And on tonights news at 9.57…
A fat British guy has started a major debate concerning the British and Americans. No-ones sure why he did this, but the assassination team are on their way!
lothar at 10:53AM, March 7, 2009
(online)
Don't feel bad , America ignores all other countries equally
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Hawk at 10:54AM, March 7, 2009
(online)
lothar
Don't feel bad , America ignores all other countries equally

Oh boy, here we go again. :/
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
dueeast at 1:35PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
I keep an eye on British culture and news because the size acceptance org I formed has a representative in the UK. I keep an eye on the news, including entertainment and fashion news, and somewhat on politics.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
The Author at 3:04PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
dueeast
including entertainment and fashion news

Entertainment? There's other things other than our supposidly awsome Doctor Who episodes?
And we have a fashion now?
dueeast at 3:07PM, March 7, 2009
(online)
The Author
dueeast
including entertainment and fashion news

Entertainment? There's other things other than our supposidly awsome Doctor Who episodes?

Well, no, but someone thinks so.

The Author
And we have a fashion now?

After a fashion… ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM
Faliat at 8:00AM, March 11, 2009
(online)
Thinking the special relationship is dead is conservative propaganda. I mean, you guys get our TV show ideas while we get your shows. And that's only because when we try to adapt your TV for our audiences we always do a bad job of it. So it's fair game to the USA.

And on the more serious topic of news stories, it's not exactly a BAD thing that the US don't get all of our news. Hell. I don't wanna hear about a car crash that happened in Miami and three people got killed when there's been a bus crash in Runcorn and only two people got killed. Local news is more important. Your next door neighbors, a friend, relative or a relative of a relative could've been on that bus. The probability of it affecting your life is higher. So it takes higher priority in your mind and in the minds of the public.
There's also more Brits and immediate descendants of Brits in the US than Americans and immediate descendants of Americans in the UK. So incidents in America will also be more likely to afect British people too. And things happening in the UK are less likely to affect Americans.

I've only ever met about three Americans. One moved to Scotland when he was a kid then went back to America as a teenager, another one was a guy in his 40s that moved from America to Scotland and had been there ten years and settled down with a family, and the last one was the girlfriend of a friend that I only met once when she was over to visit him.

Actually, when I was little a couple of American tourists gave my mum a dollar. They gave her it because they thought I was a beautiful baby… According to her.
We still have that dollar somewhere. I hope it wasn't lost in the move.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Orin J Master at 8:56PM, March 11, 2009
(online)
Faliat
I mean, you guys get our TV show ideas while we get your shows. And that's only because when we try to adapt your TV for our audiences we always do a bad job of it. So it's fair game to the USA.

no, our shows were just bad to begin with. i still say America's next top model is going to get banned abroad for causing retardation someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved