Debate and Discussion

Do Americans actually care about the Brits?
Faliat at 6:49AM, March 12, 2009
(online)
Orin J Master
Faliat
I mean, you guys get our TV show ideas while we get your shows. And that's only because when we try to adapt your TV for our audiences we always do a bad job of it. So it's fair game to the USA.

no, our shows were just bad to begin with. i still say America's next top model is going to get banned abroad for causing retardation someday.
Too late. There's now a Britain's next top model. Even if ANTM went, we'd still have that.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Product Placement at 11:49AM, March 12, 2009
(online)
Soo…. was the German school shooting reported in America?
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
Hawk at 12:34PM, March 12, 2009
(online)
Yes. I saw news of it, and I haven't been exposing myself to news much lately. I think I saw it on CNN.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Faliat at 3:03AM, March 13, 2009
(online)
I only heard of it once. But that was only because the only time I got to sit down and watch the news was interrupted by my sister's hatered of it. She wanted to watch the seemingly endless repeats of The Simpsons and Futurama. I dunno how many times I've heard “See My Vest” this past month.

And like every time I hear these things have happened I keep hoping that the guy played board games, listened to classical music and watched Ying Yang Yo.

Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
Hakoshen at 7:27AM, March 13, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement

Although I'm sure it was on the news, I can't say that I heard about it. When did it happen? It may have been overshadowed by the recent Alabama shooting spree we had.

On another note, I did have a friend who watched the British newscasts whenever they were on, and he would make me watch them with him, but since then I've fallen out of touch with world events. It saddens me to say this, but most Americans can hardly name 10 of our own presidents, much less the current rulers of anyone else.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
imshard at 8:54AM, March 13, 2009
(offline)
I'm an avid fan of BBC America, and prefer to get my world news from BBC world daily on my radio while driving to work. I have family in Britain, friends in Germany, and interests in Spain. Issues in Europe concern me both generally and personally. I know I'm not typical but I for one care about the Brits.

(besides, Dr. Who would suck if anybody else tried to do it).
Don't be a stick in the mud traditionalist! Support global warming!

Tech Support: The Comic!! Updates Somedays!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:58PM
Product Placement at 12:35PM, March 13, 2009
(online)
Hakoshen
Product Placement
Although I'm sure it was on the news, I can't say that I heard about it. When did it happen? It may have been overshadowed by the recent Alabama shooting spree we had.

It happened couple of days ago. An ex-student came to a school in a small German town and started shooting everyone. He killed 10 students and 3 teachers, then ran off and kidnapped someone in a car and told him to drive off. He was stopped by the police few miles away at a car sale where a shootout started. The gunner was killed but not before he killed two bystanders. Thus the final kill count was 15 plus the killer.

This news got huge coverage where I live. I also heard of the Alabama shooting but it didn't get as much coverage because the German shooting was considered more important. I know that around 10 people died and that it was near the boarder of Florida but that's about it.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Hakoshen at 12:40PM, March 13, 2009
(offline)
There are some articles on CNN.com, now that I'm looking for them, as there's a subheading for hot topics, the number one being “shootings.” You know, I probably would have heard about it if I watched the news more often.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
Orin J Master at 8:04PM, March 13, 2009
(online)
maybe not. shooting and murders have a tendancy to go underreported unless there's something they can use as a hook. i mean, there was a issue where they found a half-dozen bodies or so in the walls of an apartment complex near here, and it only made the news for two days before being yanked from the media eyes.

killings and things like that, unless they're really big or have an angle that's new just don't get reported because 1:they can inspire copycats and more importantly 2:people aren't interested in a depressing program, news or not.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
Faliat at 9:00PM, March 13, 2009
(online)
Well, usually some of the more sick stuff is under reported.

Well, before we moved it looked like that was changing in Scotland, but maybe it was just because it wa topical with other children dying in the UK… But a little boy was dying, at the same time his mum was with a client (she was a prostitute) smoking heroin. She ended up cleared but the evidence piled up against her that she absolutely hated her child. INcluding alleged shouts she made at him telling him she didn't love him and stuff like that.

Anyway, there was a news story about a year ago of a guy that killed a guy, filmed it on his phone, then had sex with his girlfriend in the bath that was filled with his victim's blood. It wasn't put on TV very much but it stuck in my head for a while. It's no wonder I have to go steps further than that to create brutal deaths when that's the kinda country I lived in. The attitude to it is basically “Yeah, it happened. It's bad, but it's not THAT bad.”
Even though that same month there was another murder in that block of flats.

And where I lived guys could masturbate in broad daylight near the town centre and people just ignored it.

Hell, one of my primary school music teachers ended up revealed as a paedophile. And despite what the other kids thought, it WASN'T the guy with part of his finger missing. He was sound (Lol, pun).
Always look out for the teachers with the dead smiles. Don't matter if they're conventionally good looking, avoid them folk like the PLAGUE if they have a habit of putting their arm around you and giving you the dead-eyes smile.

Despite all that, Parkhall shops getting blown up was reported more on the news. Nobody got killed. Nobody got HURT. But it was at first rumored to be a terrorist thing. And when you remember Parkhall shops, the whole IDEA of them being a terrorist target is stupid to the point of absolute hilarity.

The place were the Serve and Save, tanning salon, hairdressers and Post Office used to be is now a blank lot. And in true Bankie style… Only the Chinese takeaway survived.

In the end, it was thought to have been sabotaged because of gang warfare. But nobody's ever been caught for it.

And even when it seemed more serious than it ended up, it only got mentioned on the Scottish news. Rest of the UK didn't get a look in.

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
Tundra at 8:23PM, April 16, 2009
(offline)
We get English news, in Australia. And many other countries. I enjoy it. I think it's sad when a country has an extremely insular view.
http://www.notebookinhand.com Forum for artists, writers, and other creative types.
http://www.drunkduck.com/Notebook
http://www.notnegativenews.com Get positive news here! Improve your day. Share your links.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
Product Placement at 4:57AM, April 17, 2009
(online)
How much coverage did the Italian earthquake get in America?
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
imshard at 7:53AM, April 17, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
How much coverage did the Italian earthquake get in America?

Not much surprisingly, considering the death toll. A cursory search brings plenty of information but outlets didn't offer anything. In fact the much smaller Afghanistan earthquakes (related ironically) got front page coverage instead.
Don't be a stick in the mud traditionalist! Support global warming!

Tech Support: The Comic!! Updates Somedays!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:58PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 4:34PM, April 18, 2009
(offline)
@the title of this thread,

We in Canada only care about what happens in that God-awful country to the south of us because they are our biggest trading partner. If the president were a commie and was elected, Canada would die. If our Prime Minister was a commie the same would happen in the US.

Otherwise, we would desert them. I'm talkin' miniguns at boarder crossings just to keep 'em out.

We Canadians also give no crap of what happens with the brits. We may have originated from there but we are a seperate country and we wish to fully excercise that.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
Loud_G at 4:40AM, April 23, 2009
(online)
I am a Yank, but would love to move to England if I ever got the chance (if I could find a job there)

I watch tons of BBC shows. I grew up on British humor (much better stuff than American humor let me tell you). My ancestry is also like 80% British.

So, yes, I care about the Brits.
Find out what George is up to:

Go! Visit George or he may have to eat you!*
*Disclaimer: George may or may not eat violators depending on hunger level and scarcity of better tasting prey.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:46PM
bravo1102 at 8:16AM, April 24, 2009
(online)
Puff_Of_Smoke
@the title of this thread,

Otherwise, we would desert them. I'm talkin' miniguns at boarder crossings just to keep 'em out.

The three guys in the Canadian Armed forces would have a tough time manning them all. ;)
Really though, Canadians were some of the best tankers I ever met and they have female tank crewmen. Now that's something I could get used to. I also liked the regs on facial hair. Long handlebar mustaches.

As for how English a Yank is: 50% but I'm as close to being a native American as you can get and still be of all European stock. My family got here in 1610. Though I still fly the English flag in front of my house (The Cross of St George, not the Union flag with the Cross of St Andrew added for Scotland.)

Having fought two wars against the British and then two wars with them and depending on the Royal Navy for the first 120 years of the USA's existence we Americans never quite lost our interest in the Brits. I love reading about the rabid American Anglophobia of the late 18th and 19th centuries. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
LadyThru at 10:48AM, April 25, 2009
(offline)
I feel rather offeneded by the title.
Americans probably do care, even if it is for selfish reasons, but it's not as if we make the news.
I personally love the British. In a fangirl kind-of-way. :3
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
harkovast at 7:28PM, May 2, 2009
(online)
As someone British that lived in America for a couple of years I can honestly say….

No, not at all.
Britain is just a blip on the radar to Americans.
The idea of a special relationship is a meaningless buzz word British politicians thought up to make us feel important.
If we do what America wants they like us, if we dont they dont like us.
Just like every other country in the world.

They don't wish us ill especially, but they wouldn't get worked up or sad if anything bad happened over here, any more then they would get upset if something bad happened in any other part of the world (other then maybe Ireland, they do seem to love those Irish) It would just be foreign news that got little attention unless it directly affected them (such as terrorism).

When I was in Utah the local paper(The standard examiner…or substandard exaggerator as it was widely known) ran a comic strip the day of the London bombings making a joke about them. Wow! Feel the solidarity there! Makes me wish we had sent even MORE troops to Iraq.
Okay thats an unfair example, the vast majority of americans are not such insensitive pricks as the people who work for that newspaper. But I think it shows the tone. London Bombings were jsut something happening in the rest of the world. THe fact it was terrorism made it relavent enough to talk about, but thats about it.

Britain does not rank any higher in Americas estimation then any other country. It is just one amongst many. We have a few things they find amusing and they can understand us speaking (which is always a plus) but that's about it as far as a deep bond goes.

Sorry if that sounds rather cynical!
I don't mean it to sound like I am having a go at America, because I am really not (though I was having a go at that stupid Utah newspaper) but I think it is a bit self deluding for British people to think our relationship with America is of any serious importance to Americans.

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:43PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 11:14PM, May 5, 2009
(online)
we love your accents, but otherwise… no.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:23PM
Hakoshen at 5:21AM, May 8, 2009
(offline)
harkovast
Britain is just a blip on the radar to Americans.
The idea of a special relationship is a meaningless buzz word British politicians thought up to make us feel important.
If we do what America wants they like us, if we dont they dont like us.
Just like every other country in the world.

I think it has a lot to do with geography and history. Geographically speaking we don't have the solidarity that Europe does because we only have two real neighbors by way of Mexico and Canada. Whereas Europe has thousands of years of history with their neighboring relationships, America is hardly a few hundred years old and our neighboring countries are essentially the same (in their national identities anyways). Plus, considering how America got this powerful this fast it's easy to see how we would have developed such a highly self-important view on things.

I pretty much have to agree with everything Hark said in the fourth line of the quote there. I don't think America would become any more crippled economically speaking if we lost any single nation as a trading partner, including Canada. Because, as an American I can say the only real appeal Canada has is free health care, and that's only because most Americans don't know how many countries in Europe have the same thing.

I'll be honest with you, I like England more so than the majority of Europe due to cultural similarities, but I don't think that anything short of impending cultural/physical annihilation would make me all that concerned.
-Harkovast

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved