Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Do Comments, Replies = Love?
smkinoshita at 10:07AM, May 16, 2008
(online)
It's something that struck me yesterday, while still wonky from my 24-hour flu (OK, just a bit over 24 hrs) as I read “The Super Fogeys” (http://www.drunkduck.com/The_SuperFogeys/) yesterday on its regular Thursday update.

I didn't comment on the new update. I comment on it fairly regularly ever since I started reading it, but this time I didn't.

I comment regularly because for one thing, Brock's (http://user.drunkduck.com/Brock) got skills, but a key one is he replies to comments. All of them.

It got me to thinking why I didn't comment on the particular strip. Because I'm still getting over a 24-hr flu at the moment, I chalked it up to “feeling crappy”, but I think if the comic grabbed me enough I'd say something.

Then I got to thinking: Do comments = Love? (I mean non-troll comments, obviously).
Do you comment more, the more you love the comic?

For me, I really only want to comment when I have something to say, but because Brock replies to everyone individually I comment more than I do for other comics that I enjoy equally.

And that leads to my next question:
How do you reply to comments?

To me, Brock shows he appreciates his readers more because he replies to each one individually. Thankfully for Brock and his fans, he doesn't have EVERYONE who reads his comic commenting on it or we'd never get updates. It's something I want to emulate for my own comic, not to boost its popularity but because I want to show the same level of appreciation for my readers as Brock does for his. The time he takes to reply makes me feel good, and I want to show the same love for my readers. I might not always do it, but it's something I want to make a habit.

And finally…

Are you more loyal to comics where the creator(s) are more accessible?
I hit my favs regular, but Brock's I'll hit more than once a day. In a way, his responses to comments actually counts as more content and updates in my eyes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:49PM
mattchee at 10:53AM, May 16, 2008
(online)
I just replied to a comment for the first time today… now i've read this…. i think will do it more often or always. I totally want to be accessible to readers!

Also, I like Super Fogeys!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
seventy2 at 11:59AM, May 16, 2008
(online)
yes, i comment more the more i love the comic.

i reply on the next pages updates, in the authors comment section.

and no, two of the comics that i ensure at least get a five (even if i have to read thru 2-3 pages to be caught up) the authors dont always reply to anyone. they're just very talented.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:28PM
kyupol at 1:14PM, May 16, 2008
(online)
The more I comment, the more I love the comic. At least most of the time because I dont really have the time to go through all those comics so I miss out on some.

As for replying to comments, I do reply to every comment I get. At least I try my best to.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
Steely Gaze at 1:17PM, May 16, 2008
(offline)
I always reply to my favorite comics because I feel that the authors put so much work into them, and I enjoy them so much that it would practically be criminal not to assure them I"m still reading along, loving every page (or nearly every).

I also reply to every comment on my page. I just feel that those who choose to leave a comment deserve to be replied to. I mean, they're my fans, ignoring them would imply that I don't care about them or my comic, which I do.

There are some comics I read where not only does the author not reply to comments (which is fine by me; it can be time consuming) but they don't even leave an author's note. I always feel slightly miffed when they do that, as though they don't care. I'm sure they do care, very much, it's just that I would like them to be more than a faceless creator hiding in the shadows.

Wizard of Oz syndrome I guess. :)
A Roll of the Dice now with full-size pages!

John Clyde now with ten times the tacky Hawaiian shirts!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:58PM
worstcase at 1:30PM, May 16, 2008
(online)
I always reply to every comment, I think its really nice when people take the time to leave some thoughts on your comic!

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
crazyninny at 1:43PM, May 16, 2008
(online)
At times, I feel like the authors don't really care if they get comments or not. But I still try to comment on comics as much as I can. Just to show that I support their comic, and that I'm not some one that just glances, and leaves.

For creators that are more with their fans, and the community, I will read and check out their comic more than creators that don't seem to be with the fans.

As for replying, I try to as much as possible. I reply to each new commentor to thank them for checking me out, and to comments with questions, or that I feel like they diserve a reply too. Becuase I want to show my fans that I do care about their input to my comic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:49AM
mlai at 2:06PM, May 16, 2008
(online)
If the author replies to comments, then I will comment if I either (1)like the comic a lot, or (2)have something to say.

If the author doesn't reply to comments, then I will comment only if I have something I want to say.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
mattchee at 2:28PM, May 16, 2008
(online)
as far as LEAVING comments… anything I'm reading I'll, at the very least, rate… and I try to say something if I think of anything.

Why?

As a creator, I like to see the comments… yeah i can look at my stats and see that people are looking at my comic, but its nice to have that personal feed back, even just a blank comment and a rating letting me know you've been there. I appreciate that.

In the end though, as long as people are reading it… I'm happy!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
SWexY at 3:22PM, May 16, 2008
(online)
I like it when people comment on my comic just to show how happy i am i always comment back XD plus i think it shows that im grateful for people looking at my comic and that i like to talk to my readers and people who just wanted to take a look at my comic ^o^
I always comment on people's comics so they know i looked at it and what i liked about their comic
HEE I LIKE SUGAR X3

YAYYY 4 SUGAR!
MY COMIC
http://www.drunkduck.com/Elemental_Guardians
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
JustNoPoint at 3:40PM, May 16, 2008
(online)
I try to respond to every person that comments. Obviously some I'll tend to respond to a bit more lengthy, there's only so many ways I can reply to ‘nice page’ you know =p

But I appreciate the crap out of some commenters. Even if it's just a rating showing they are following along with the story.

I also like it when authors reply back. I can learn a lot by talking to other authors. They can have much insight on all sorts of things. Or they could just be thanking me for reading their comic.

“No problem friend, thank you for sharing” <- read that with the Geico Gecko voice =p

I'd say 75% of my improvements in my comic have came as a result of talking to everyone that comments. You never know whom may respond or what the individual may point out to you.

I have to try and shut myself up on many occasions, I've been known to try and turn my comment area to a chat board at times XS

I attempt to comment on all the comics/updates. But I read a lot of comics now and some days I have to bar myself from the internet to make sure I can work on my own comic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Webreever at 5:49PM, May 16, 2008
(offline)
I think that when people reply to a comic, it's usually in support, in whatever way. Either a compliment or a constructive critique response, yes in some ways, means they like you or the comic.

I take whatever comments I get personally. Because anything I create usually is an extension of my mind, of how I relate to the world around me, so it makes me feel good to hear people say good things, or advising me.
http://www.perfect-grey.com

I suck at Code, so CTL+C and CTRL+V this into your browser.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
usedbooks at 6:50PM, May 16, 2008
(online)
I really love comments, any comments. I must confess that it wasn't always the case. When I joined, I felt self conscious. I had no regular readers and the comments I received were all really depressing. I wished there were no such thing as comments then. (My art has always been terrible, so I didn't feel any of it was unfair or undeserved, but it was depressing. I uploaded my pages solely to show my dad and a few friends.)

Anyway, now I really like getting any comments. I'm more confident, and many of my improvements (and actually that confidence) was the result of a couple people actually taking an interest and giving me helpful suggestions. I always reply to comments. Interesting commenters tend to make me gravitate to reading and commenting on their work too. (Including a couple comics I haven't found time to dive into yet.)

For leaving comments, I try to do so with every update of my faves if the author responds to comments. If they don't, then sometimes I comment to show support (especially if they don't get many) but usually nothing especially helpful or detailed – since I have no way of knowing if they really care what anyone has to say or if they dislike suggestions or something (because some do). When I go into archives, I often leave a comment here and there. (I have such fun when others do it with my comic. ;) )

Steely Gaze
There are some comics I read where not only does the author not reply to comments (which is fine by me; it can be time consuming) but they don't even leave an author's note. I always feel slightly miffed when they do that, as though they don't care. I'm sure they do care, very much, it's just that I would like them to be more than a faceless creator hiding in the shadows.
I feel like that too. Although I comment on the comic, I think I do so more to support the creator than the comic itself. I am far more likely to comment on a rough comic with an open and interactive creator than a fantastic comic with a seemingly absentee (or absurdly self-absorbed) creator.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
Terminal at 9:40PM, May 16, 2008
(online)
I only comment when I have something to say, otherwise it feels so… forced.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:13PM
Custard Trout at 12:06AM, May 17, 2008
(offline)
I always feel like I'm lying if I comment without something to say.

I always replied to comments though.

When I still had a comic for people to comment on anyway.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:00PM
Frostflowers at 12:40AM, May 17, 2008
(online)
I comment only when I feel I have something to say - beyond “good page!” that is, because that kind of comment feels… sort of bland. And it's not a case of more comments = more love. Sometimes, I avoid commenting on comics I really love, because it's getting a large amount of comments anyway - but this is usually a symptom of my first reason; if I really, really love the comic, and am overwhelmed by it, the best I can usually manage is “this is great!”. >.>

I reply to comments when the commenters ask questions, usually by PQ to avoid cluttering up my comment-column. Otherwise, I try to thank them in the Author's Notes the following week (speaking of which, I should get better at that, too.)

My loyalty to comics…? I regularly check my favourites, and I do like it when the creator is accessible, but that doesn't really influence the number of times I come back to check it. So… no?

The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
DAJB at 1:02AM, May 17, 2008
(online)

I comment on most comics I read, because I know how much I appreciate feedback on my own. It's the old "Do as you would be done by" principle.

I reply to everyone. If there's a question, I answer it. If someone says they like a particular aspect of the page in question, I try to give them some additional background info about that aspect (assuming there is any!) If they make a joke, I reply. Even if they just “five”, I'll acknowledge it with a thanks.

Not necessarily. I understand that the creator of a comic which receives dozens of comments may not have the time to reply to them all.

There are some, however, which give the impression that the creator has uploaded a few dozen pages in advance and never visited DD since. In those cases - where the creator never responds to any comments - you start to wonder whether the comments are even being read. After a while you start to think, if they're not being read, why leave them?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
n_y_japlander at 1:31AM, May 17, 2008
(offline)
(OO) WOW this was a good read… I never thought too much about it! I enjoy reading comments that were made on my comics, as I hope people enjoy reading my comments on their's (Not many now…. viewing problems)

I have little time to reply to comments made, but this thread made me think!!

Those that read/comment on my comics, give me the drive to do more. Therefor to “show” just how much each comment/reader means to me, I will start replying on the next comics.

(^U^) Corey

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:19PM
anonymousposterchild at 2:52AM, May 17, 2008
(offline)
I like how the OP implies that any comment that doesn't lavish praise on the comment is a troll.
Official DrunkDuck curmudgeon
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:53AM
kyupol at 3:48AM, May 17, 2008
(online)

I do love comments be it praise or critical.

If you wanna be critical though, I dont appreciate it if its laden with profanities and/or ad-hominem attacks. (ex: FUCK YOU YOU STUPID WASTE OF INTERNET BANDWITH!!! YOUR COMIC SUCKS!!! I HOPE YOU GO KILL YOURSELF YOU STUPID DUMFUCK!!!)

Ozoneocean at 9:47AM, May 17, 2008
(online)
Coments are great.
I used to reply to every single one of them. But it got to the stage where I'd have to copy and paste them into a text file so I could do them all… The thing would go for a few pages each time. It took fricken AGES. I began to dread the weekly task of doing it :(

Sorry to say, I just didn't want to do it any longer. It's a nice, lovely, wonderful thing to do, but you need stamina. The more you get, the harder it is.

Yeah, comments = love, to me. They're good to get. I love every single one of them. :)

In other cases, Craving Control for instance… I don't know what goes on there. Those people treat it like some kind of bizarro forum. It's freaky.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
Bocaj at 2:36PM, May 17, 2008
(online)
In a way… The more I like it the more I have to say. Same goes for disliking too, although I tend to be too nice.

I respond when someone asks a specific question, or says something that really makes me want to reply.

Yes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:31AM
crocty at 2:45PM, May 17, 2008
(offline)
Not for me.
I usually don't comment if
A. I'm not in a good mood
B. I can't think of anything to say.

I don't really just leave comments where it's says nothing but a 5 rating, because when I see I have a new comment, I'm like “=D!” but then when I see it's just a rating, I'm like “D=<!”

I'm not really around much anymore, but here's my Tumblr, Twitter, and Deviantart. Also if you remember me from back when I was around, I'm sorry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:52AM
JustNoPoint at 6:30PM, May 17, 2008
(online)
Some members always leave a blank 5. It's funny because you come to expect it. Sometimes I won't get that blank 5 and I'm all like wondering where they went. Then they come back late or something and I'm all “cool, there they are”

Also when they actually do take the time to say something it really tickles me. I don't know. It's just neat seeing certain “faces”/avatars on each update.

Even if they don't say anything I am reminded why I love uploading my comic. For people like that whom really merely wish to read and enjoy it each day they can. And for any others that may be too busy to drop a 5 or comment.

I don't know, it's just amazing that people like my story. I can't describe how good that feels after working so many years on it. And I love sharing that feeling with other authors in their comment sections.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
kyupol at 9:15PM, May 17, 2008
(online)
Blank 5s are interpreted as

“Hey buddy, I like what you're doing. Just droppin by to check out your comic. See ya!”

Aussie_kid at 10:57PM, May 17, 2008
(online)
If the author says something in their rant that I feel compelled to respond to, then I normally do, along with a five because they're doing a comic I like and I want to encourage them to keep going.

Other times, I usually just say a ‘Good job’ or ‘love your work’ or Very nice'.

Of course, these days I'm lucky to get one comment when I update, but oh well, the hits still show people reading the pages, so I know my comic's still loved. On the update days, I got back to the previous page and then reply in one comment to everyone who commented. But sometimes, I forget or I just can't think of anything to say
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
spacehamster at 5:04AM, May 18, 2008
(online)

Generally, if I think something is truly great, I'll at least leave a blank 5 comment if I really don't have anything to say. I don't write up comments just for the sake of commenting if I can't think of anything interesting to post, but sometimes I just want to let the author know I was there and liked it.

I generally try to respond to every comment individually, although if I have 5-6 comments where four are a general compliment and two ask a question or critique something, I'll sometimes respond by saying “thanks guys” and only address those two directly or put the four complimenters' names in a row like @user a/user b/user c and just write “thanks”. There isn't much to say in that situation, but I don't want people to feel like I don't appreciate compliments because I really, really do.

Honestly, no. It makes me like the creators more personally, but at the end of the day, I'm loyal to good comics. I actually feel bad when someone's a really nice person and I just can't get into their comic, but I'm not going to read something just because the creator's a nice guy. Only 24 hours in a day and all that, y'know.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
Aussie_kid at 7:01AM, May 18, 2008
(online)
spacehamster
I'm not going to read something just because the creator's a nice guy. Only 24 hours in a day and all that, y'know.

I think that this is how a lot of people in the drunkduck community get their readers. They like the author, so they feel that they need to comment all the time on their work.

Hell, even I have been guilty of this (A friend of mine started a comic and I kept commenting on it, even though I didn't like the actual comic. I just left blank fives and didn't say anything). For a while, I was the only fan. Then he dropped the comic and it really just felt like I'd lost one more chore than the usual disappointment I feel when a comic I read ends.

Oh well, it's good to know that not everyone does this and that people do appreciate good webcomics that deserve the praise

Until next time
The Aussie Kid
Insanity Complex: We may not be insane, but we like to think we are
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:11AM
DarkChibiShadow at 10:38AM, May 18, 2008
(offline)

Defianatly. Sometimes I comment on every page.

(Can't believe I kept forgeting to put that nom. up…)

K.A.L.A-dan! Shipper!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
kyupol at 10:45AM, May 18, 2008
(online)
Honestly, no. It makes me like the creators more personally, but at the end of the day, I'm loyal to good comics. I actually feel bad when someone's a really nice person and I just can't get into their comic, but I'm not going to read something just because the creator's a nice guy. Only 24 hours in a day and all that, y'know.

It affects me in a way. If you're a nice person and/or a fan of my comics, I DO try my best to give your stuff a look.

I do the same thing Aussie does sometimes. Even if I dont like the comic but think the person is cool, I still comment and leave 5s.

That also leads me in the other direction though. What if I find a person an asshole?

I still check out their stuff. But I look at it more like to help better understand how the brain of that other person functions.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon