Debate and Discussion

Do strange fears make you crazy or does the crazy make you have strange fears?
machinehead at 7:59PM, March 15, 2011
(online)
I'm not really afraid that many things, but I'm terrified of puppets. They may look cute and innocent when a man has his hand shoved up their ass, but when that hand comes out they just sit there staring at you with those beady lifeless eyes, judging you. Then when you look away for one second that's when they strike and stab you in the jugular.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
El Cid at 8:40PM, March 15, 2011
(online)
Those “Puppet Master” movies must have scared the bejeezus out of you then!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
machinehead at 3:56PM, March 16, 2011
(online)
I never really watched puppet master until I was older, it's more cheesy than it is scary. I do remember being terrified of Child's play. I had one of those my buddy dolls and that twisted little smirk on his face did fool me for one minute. I knew one day he would spring to life and kill me, so I put him in my brother's room. LOL!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
Chernobog at 4:21PM, March 16, 2011
(offline)
Not so much a fear, but I get weirdly unsettled in the presence of certain illustrated happy faces in advertising. It's hard to explain as a lot of them won't cause the anxious reaction. Specifically, the ‘helpful, happy, and the world is innocent’ expression makes me feel like a vampire approaching a crucifix for some reason. Been like this since I was just past a toddler and I don't know why.

They just put some in the building I tend with a smiling woman pointing up with the caption to ‘remember to turn off the lights’. It doesn't repel me but it makes me feel vaguely unsettled inside.

But then again, I'm a spider fanatic so I'm pretty sure I'm on some opposite wavelength to begin with.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
OnlyFoolsAndVikings at 11:05PM, April 23, 2011
(offline)
I wouldn't consider myself an easily frightened person, I'm never freaked out by horror movies and I'm pretty good with most “Frightening” situations.

Except the dark.

I have an overwhelming fear of the dark and I'm 17, so much for “growing out of it”. I can stand it if I'm not alone, if I'm with someone else in the dark, that's fine, but when I'm alone in the dark, dear jeebus, I turn into a raving lunatic. It comes with living out in the middle of nowhere in an old house that makes creepy noises at night.
of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.
EXCUSE ME WHILE I STROKE MY MOUSTACHE IN A SUGGESTIVE MANNER!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:21PM
bravo1102 at 5:31AM, April 25, 2011
(online)
I'm afraid of everything so I live in a constant state of fear. Social Phobia. So I've learned to adjust and function with the fear.

I was never afraid of the dark, so much as getting lost in the dark. I got over the lost in dark in the Army by wandering around for hours in the dark looking for where I was supposed to be. I discovered that being afraid of a situation was much, much worse than actually experiencing the situation.

I used to have a HUGE fear of abandonment because I was abandoned twice in stores as a child. So I make sure to always know exactly where I'm parked and to have my own set of keys.

Somehow the experience of regaining consciousness in a rolled car surrounded with broken glass and my own blood put all the other fears into perspective.

Or that fall down into the pit at the bottom of a elevator shaft. It was dark down there.

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
kyupol at 4:00PM, April 25, 2011
(offline)
Do self-hypnosis.

Alternate the feared object with the happiest place you can think of. rinse and repeat until fear is gone. It causes your mind to disassociate from the fear and trivialize it.

But then again these simple instructions may be hard to do as it requires practice. Go see a hypnotherapist if its hard to follow those instructions. They have higher success rates.

Cheers.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
theorah at 5:43AM, May 4, 2011
(online)
Its definately ‘crazy’ first and ‘odd fear’ later! I have a phobia of being ill and OCD that comes with it, and I used to think I had OCD because I had my phobia, but I think its more that my phobia is reinforced every time I go through an action of my OCD.

And going all psychological, apparently our only natural in-built fears are that of falling down and loud noises.
In our very, very early unconscious years, if something traumatic happens to us then we automatically learn a new coping method or basically learn that life is something to fear rather then to embrace. And its with these in built perceptions of life that we interpret situations, and therefore gain bizzare fears =3
As such, if someone didnt have any traumas as a child, but then had a trauma later on in life, it will be much easier for them (apparently) to get over an event compared to a person who has learned to react in a different way to an event. *Psychology geek*
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
Corruption at 5:38AM, June 11, 2011
(offline)
I can understand why Cherobog and some other people would feel unsettled by illustrated images of overly cheerful faces. Whenever I see someone who looks overly cheerful and innocent, I want to smash their face in, chock them, and p*** all over their corpse. Expressly in the mornings!

I do not suffer phobias. The only thing I am even close to being afraid of is the possibility of being stuck with total sensory deprevation for the rest of a long time time. i don't even fear overly much for my life (but then again, I do not value it a lot either.)

Being crazy and having strange fears are both states of mind. When dealing with peoples minds you have to realize something, they are fucked up anyway, so don't worry about madness. It's the fears that you need help with if they cause you problems.
We are all corrupt in our own ways
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
ATBL at 5:31PM, Nov. 16, 2012
(online)
Oh gosh, I have lots of weird phobias. Fear of vomiting, fear of porcupines, fear of clusters of things…the list goes on. These are aside from the “usual” fears, such as heights, spiders, clowns. But..I'm working on it! I think the fear makes you have strange fears, not the crazies. I'm more often than not more scared of something when I'm thinking of it than when I'm actually experiencing it. The whole nothing to fear but fear itself thing…

scri66leKitty at 12:29PM, Nov. 28, 2012
(offline)
I'm scared of the sound of jingling keys
but i think that might be because i'm also scared of dogs the jingling of a dogs collar does sound similar.
irrevenant at 9:04PM, April 12, 2013
(online)

machinehead
wrote:
I'm not really afraid that many things, but I'm terrified of puppets. They may look cute and innocent when a man has his hand shoved up their ass, but when that hand comes out they just sit there staring at you with those beady lifeless eyes, judging you. Then when you look away for one second that's when they strike and stab you in the jugular.
That's not a crazy fear.  Puppets are in that ‘uncanny valley’ space where they look almost - but not quite - human.  They creep out a lot of people…

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved