Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Do you remember the 90s?
lba at 1:19PM, Nov. 11, 2009
(online)
All my cousins were much older than me ( ie: 30+ with kids of their own now, while I'm 20, halfway through college. ). So I grew up with Nirvana and Pearl Jam, watching the high school kids ( They seemed huge to me at the time. ) going to school in old hoodies, jeans torn at the knees, black backpacks always carried on one shoulder. My dad showed me and my sister PeeWee's playhouse in it's later days along with Wild and Crazy Kids and the other Nickolodeon stuff. I still remember when Nickolodeon had that old Orange Splat as their logo all over tv, and how screaming into a microphone HAD to involve a mohawk and/or flannel to be cool. I remember playing Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3 at my local church's youth room and how skateboarding was the coolest thing since Iggy Pop came out of Ann Arbor.

I basically grew up with a bunch of punks and cartoon nerds now i think of it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:29PM
Aurora Borealis at 7:09PM, Nov. 11, 2009
(online)
There were tons of good bands/artists in the 90s. Except most of them failed to receive any promotion from the major labels so you had to SEARCH for this stuff.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Pandafilando at 7:25PM, Nov. 11, 2009
(online)
yup i remember the 90's in fact i'm technically a 90's person but since all my other siblings were at least 10 years older than me, i grew around those things nostalgic to them (nostalgic as of now, just old those times) i practically am an 80's guy heck i even feel nostalgic for some of the 70's culture, i feel lost in time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
bravo1102 at 11:20PM, Nov. 11, 2009
(offline)
Draven_Xero
AzuJOD
I miss cargo pants. I liked the extra pockets. Not like now with these tight jeans where you can't put anything in your pockets and sit comfortably!
Hell, I still wear cargoes all the time, but mostly for the utility of the added pockets. I carry aLOT of stuff at any given time. They're also baggy, but that's mostly for function too…that and tight pants are NOT flattering on me.

I had “cargo” pants thrust upon me by a supply sergeant in Fort Knox Kentucky in 1988. Long before they were “cargo” pants they were battle dress uniform pants and parachute pants. Once in the army I found solid colored versions and wore them everywhere. It was twenty years before I started wearing jeans again.

My sister had a car phone and then a “shoe” phone in the 1980's. But in the 1990s people with beepers and then the first clunky cell phones actually were important enough to need them as opposed to every twit with an opposable thumb.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Ozoneocean at 12:13AM, Nov. 12, 2009
(online)
bravo1102
But in the 1990s people with beepers and then the first clunky cell phones actually were important enough to need them as opposed to every twit with an opposable thumb.
The U.S. was a bit slower with mobile phones than Australia in many ways. I think the whole thing with all the hundreds of different phone companies being extremely feudal with the networks was the problem. There are instances where competition can actually hinder progress. -_-

We had less competition here and many types of good mobile phones, lots of choice and good prices. They were GSM too so they were compatible with most of the networks around the world, while U.S. phone were mostly CDMA I think and so that limited things. I remember a good friend of mine (American) being so excited that she could now SMS her friends on other networks and also change her network plan to other networks and sill keep the same number… Which bemused me since we'd never had an issue SMSing across different networks and changing phones and phone numbers across networks was something that happened very early on here.
Your U.S. Telecommunication companies were pretty bad that way- keeping stuff walled off and locked up.

Now if Australia just had the cheap internet that the U.S. has… :(
lba
I still remember when Nickelodeon had that old Orange Splat as their logo all over tv
I remember that :(
and I loved the first couple of series of Pokemon. It was just a nice, simple anime cartoon that was unpretentious and very straight forward. -With sexy Nurse Joy and officer what's-her-face… ^_^
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
Hakoshen at 5:05AM, Nov. 12, 2009
(offline)
Niccea
I got the perfect list for you from facebook.

Scroll down to recent news to see a full list.

Oh wow… so much nostalgia
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
Erad at 5:11AM, Nov. 12, 2009
(online)
Maybe you've seen this on the internets…

This pic is often accompanied by the phrase, “This pic sums up the 90's pretty nicely.”

I agree completely!

Also, I just want to mention that being born in the 90's just means that the first few years of your life, where you don't remember anything, are spent there. If anything, you should consider the time in which you reach adult hood to be “your time.” For me, that's when everything changes, including my thought style and attitudes. All other ages were ephemeral, adulthood seems pretty stable and long lasting.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
worldwillshout at 8:17AM, Nov. 12, 2009
(offline)
I was Born in 1990 so my childhood was pretty much mid to late 90's. Having to older brothers really made me understand what all of you are talking about. I had so many damn hand me down pogs it was insane!!!

I also miss liquid television.
Cupcakes are the Devil!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
ERasER at 8:20AM, Nov. 12, 2009
(online)
I remember the 90's seeing as I lived through it for the first 10 years of my life ^^
BackSeat Gamers
worldwillshout at 8:24AM, Nov. 12, 2009
(offline)
ERasER
I remember the 90's seeing as I lived through it for the first 10 years of my life ^^

Get out the rusty knives cause were gonna be blood brothers!!!. :nervous:
Cupcakes are the Devil!
ERasER at 8:52AM, Nov. 12, 2009
(online)
worldwillshout
ERasER

I already had mine out!
BackSeat Gamers
worldwillshout at 9:23AM, Nov. 12, 2009
(offline)
ERasER
worldwillshout
ERasER

I already had mine out!

8D BRING IT ON!!!!!
Cupcakes are the Devil!
ERasER at 9:30AM, Nov. 12, 2009
(online)
OH YEAH!
BackSeat Gamers
Aurora Borealis at 10:55AM, Nov. 12, 2009
(online)
All I have is a rusty spoon…

…that's more 00s than 90s, right?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
ERasER at 7:03AM, Nov. 13, 2009
(online)
Aurora Borealis
All I have is a rusty spoon…

…that's more 00s than 90s, right?

That'll do fine, we should combine ours together and create a rusty Spife
BackSeat Gamers
worldwillshout at 7:22AM, Nov. 13, 2009
(offline)
OH GOD IT HURTS SO GOOD!
Cupcakes are the Devil!
Ozoneocean at 7:22AM, Nov. 13, 2009
(online)
ERasER
Or a knoon?

They made better CD players back in the 90s -_-
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
ERasER at 7:36AM, Nov. 13, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
ERasER
Or a knoon?

A rusty knoon ^^
BackSeat Gamers
seventy2 at 10:05AM, Nov. 13, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
ERasER
Or a knoon?

they still make them?

I got my first CD player for christmas '01. It was my only gift that entire year. i still have it, and use it for surround sound to this day.
facara
Running Anew an exercise blog.
I'm gonna love you till the money comes, half of it's gonna be mine someday.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:30PM
LowResAtari at 10:08AM, Nov. 13, 2009
(offline)
I miss 90's Sci-Fi Action flicks. Demolition Man, The 5th Element, Time Cop, Total Recall? You just don't see movies like those anymore.
99% of people would've finished this sente
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM
patrickdevine at 11:38AM, Nov. 13, 2009
(online)
Ah, yes the 90's. I remember that between the Spice Girls, Boyz 2 Men, Hootie and the Blowfish and the like there was a few years where I just assumed that I didn't like music. I didn't discover good music until about 1995. I like to tell people that the first album I bought was Dookie by Green Day but it was really So Much For the Afterglow by Everclear. Later I actually discovered Nirvana and Pearljam and thought they were pretty cool, (yeah, I didn't find out about Nirvana until after Kurt shot himself. How lame is that?)
I also remember kids at school made fun of how tight my pants were– not that they were really all that tight, just not baggy. They were also invariably full of holes, not a fashion statement, they were just old ratty jeans.
I also had a Super Nintendo. Those things were just great, I was never all that good at many of the games but they were still really fun.
I wish they still had cartoons like they had in the 90's. Like Animaniacs, Batman the Animated Series, man I loved those shows.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
Lonnehart at 4:48PM, Nov. 13, 2009
(online)
I was told that if you wanted to do that blood brothers thing you had to use a jagged blunt rusty old knife. Don't know why, though…

Ugh… the last thing I remember from the 90s was my mother's death… from her third massive heart attack. Left only 15% of her heart still functional, which wasn't enough to keep her alive, I think. She passed away in 1999, just two months shy from her 60th birthday. :(

I guess that family curse is going to hit me next… no one on my mother's side of the family has ever made it past 60. :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
Queen Simia at 6:40PM, Nov. 13, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean

Now they don't have to, what with all them newfangled iPodamajiggers the kids are running around with these days.

This thread makes me feel old. :P

But yeah, as someone else mentioned, the ‘90s was the last decade when Saturday morning cartoons were any good. Broadcast networks were still showing cartoons, dangit! Reality TV was restricted primarily to game shows and MTV’s navel-gazing pioneer, The Real World, which I avoided in favor of Daria and Aeon Flux.

Also, anime on SciFi (before they decided to name themselves after slang for a venereal disease, huzzah!).

I'll actually go against popular opinion here and say I rather liked the influx of house and other electronica on the radio, but then again most people would agree my taste in music is terrible. It beats the “I Am Totally More Sensitive Than You, and By the Way, Who Stole My Eyeliner?” I keep seeing, at any rate.

Mario and Sonic were bitter enemies, killing each other in humorously inept fan art as Sega and Nintendo fanboys kept on keepin' on (I had a Genesis, though I still played the NES from time to time). Mode 7 was The New Hotness. The N64 debuted after several fits and starts, partially related to indecision over whether it should use cartridges or CDs, and the Sony PlayStation arrived in all its 32-bit polygonal glory. Along with the Sega Saturn, these all heralded the end of discussing gaming consoles in terms of bits, and dusty cartridges were replaced with scratched CDs as the bane of gamers. Ah, nostalgia.

I didn't go out much during the '90s.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:57PM
sakebento at 1:26PM, Nov. 14, 2009
(offline)
Wow, nostalgia ahoy! I didn't get out much as a kid, but I recall boy bands, Next Generation (I know it started in the 80's, but still), walkmans, Windows before there was a “start menu” (3.x, baby!), and those snappy bracelets that would give you welts after awhile.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:17PM
Legend Comics at 8:29AM, Nov. 24, 2009
(online)
The 90's? Where to start? First off I don't remember large chunks of the 90's. I spent a lot of time in college which meant, back then anyway, smoking way too much weed and drinking way too much beer. In my town, at the turn of the decade, people still wore tight acid wash jeans and bright neon ski jackets to compliment their huge mullets. Then suddenly everyone had torn jeans and flannel. It was like the 60's all over again but with way better pot and a way worse attitude. Raves were all the rave and being held in abandoned warehouses. I was driving cab on the midnight shift when I heard about the sixth Cobain related suicide and I was thinking, “I hate that guy for giving so many weak minding fools an excuse to follow their idol to the grave.” I remember the flannel culminated with jocks buying designer plaid from the Gap, not just to wear but to tie around their waste… I'm talking two plaid shirts on one body! That killed that! Suddenly everyone became a rap star and spent their day furiously working to keep their pants from falling down around their ankles (which wasn't a far drop). This was the same time I stopped working in DOS and finally bought into the whole Windows thing. Suddenly my endless string of DOS commands were no longer cool ice breakers at parties! But I didn't care, I still had the Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Stone Temple Pilots, Janes Addiction etc (not yet knowing that they were all being quickly replace by Back Door Boys and Spice Girls). As I finally grew up (I'm a late bloomer) and started taking life more seriously the kids growing up behind me were suddenly calling meth recreational and it all started to look a bit scary. Maybe it was and maybe I was just too old to understand. I ended the 90's with a career and a wife. Now I have a son and I'm working on buying income property while I try to figure out how the hell to make a comic. I miss the 90's but I'm glad I got that all out of my system and can live a normal life in the 2000's.

The end.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
Heavy Veapons Guy at 7:27AM, Nov. 26, 2009
(offline)
I remember I hated the music and people.

But doesn't that apply to today?

You bet it does.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 4:39PM, Nov. 26, 2009
(offline)
I was born in it and love the music from it but otherwise I'm a n00b to the 90's.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:53PM
Neurotarkus at 9:10PM, Nov. 28, 2009
(offline)
I was born mid-90's, all I really remember is that I was happier back then, being a little kid and all :)
what's a Neurotarkus? Look it up, minus the “neuro”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:12PM
KademonsterX at 11:52PM, Nov. 28, 2009
(online)
Ah… The ‘90s. Bad teen movies, butt-rock made a sad re debut, and DBZ was a regular on Cartoon Network. Last one wasn’t so bad. Ozoneocean said there was crappy music, yes, indeed, but look at all the great bands that debut in the early ‘90s, KoRn, Pearl Jam, Rage Against the Machine, lots and lots of really awesome bands came out of the ’90s. Kurt Cobain dies in ‘94, sad. Marylin Manson finally picks up in the ’90s, good. Okay, enough music, lets talk movies. Tarantino debuts Reservoir Dogs in the beginning of the decade, follows it with Pulp Fiction. Two classics right there. He also brought out Jackie Brown, which was also very great. Natural Born Killers, Clerks, Mallrats. Indeed. But then again, there were some pretty crappy movies. (Cough) Titanic (cough). There were good and bad things going on in the ‘90s. They were better than the ’80s, though (HAIR BANDS EVERYWHERE!!)

Why don't we all just watch “I love the '90s” on VH1????
Cease this, honkus!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
Dr W at 9:29AM, Jan. 5, 2010
(offline)
ozoneocean
[I remember that :(
and I loved the first couple of series of Pokemon. It was just a nice, simple anime cartoon that was unpretentious and very straight forward. -With sexy Nurse Joy and officer what's-her-face… ^_^

Officer Jenny, is who your talking about. Yes the first season of Pokemon was indeed the best out of the bunch. Unfortunately now a days Pokemon has become a repetitive stale anime series. It's the same every episode: Ash and friends meet a new Pokemon or Ash goes for his next gym badge, Team Rocket captures Pikachu, Ash gets Pikachu back and sends Team Rocket blasting off again. The first season of Pokemon had the decency of putting Ash and friends in different situation that kept the story alive and kicking. Now it has just become the norm.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:14PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon