Media Megaforum

Do you think webcomics could get their own movies?
Vdude at 6:53PM, Nov. 12, 2007
(offline)
I got a question for you, ever wondered that webcomics should make it as movies? I would think so. I think all webcomics should make it as movies. All the creator of webcomics would have to do is write and direct, or send the screenplay to minor movie studios. You Damn Kid, Vindibudd, Superfogeys, even Spider-Hag can make it as movies, but why not our own webcomics? We already have print comics as movies, but isn't it about time for webcomics to do the same? I think so.
Legacyhero and i are doing a Kid Intense/Hero Force crosover which will be a blast. Also, we are teaming up for a Kid Intense movie. Tell me what you think of the crossover and the movie we are teaming up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:39PM
crazyninny at 7:29PM, Nov. 12, 2007
(online)
I know a couple of comics that would make KICK ASS tv shows, but as for movies, I can think of maybe 5 that would make KICK ASS movies.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Sidwarrious at 8:07PM, Nov. 12, 2007
(online)
I'd like to hope mine could be done as a movie. But don't we all really?
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:36PM
marine at 9:17PM, Nov. 12, 2007
(offline)
I made a movie based off my old web comic. I've destroyed every copy of it, I hope. But I was the first to do a complete film version of a webcomic and actually screen it. The film, in my opinion, was a disaster. The people I showed it to gave mixed reactions. I copied a move from movie executives and did small focus groups on a big screen TV and gave out questionnaire cards after the movie. Ultimately, I didn't like what I made. So one day, I'll do better. Until then, no one else can see it unless a copy is still floating around. I'd say maybe anywhere from 400-500 people saw it. It was a combination art film/string of dick jokes movie. It was done on DV that we made to look black and white. Again, I hope no copies exist. It just wasn't what I wanted. I wish never to speak of it again. There was absolutely no budget involved, so it was really cheap looking. That was my main gripe. The actors/actresses were either people I knew or people who the only people who showed up to our audition at a local community college theater. I think we spent a good two weeks shooting and editing. I really thought about releasing it in some way, but I just wasn't happy with it. At the end of the day it was my project, based on my stories that I used for comics. It was a very personal story too, so if I'd rather have it done right than done like it was. If I remember correctly, we didn't get to shoot everything either. I had to leave some scenes out due to budgetary reasons. Still, I was the first as far as I know of. I got as far as finding a distributor or publisher (troma) for the film. It was a long time ago, in a different world. I might try again someday and go straight to you tube with it.

I believe an anime webcomic was turned into a movie? I think it was called angel something?

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
Sidwarrious at 10:27PM, Nov. 12, 2007
(online)
Amgel Burst I believe was being made into a movie. Something with the terminator guy and angels, but i don't remember the title.

And did you make Clerks? I think you made Clerks.
blakechen at 12:43AM, Nov. 13, 2007
(online)
Comics > TV > Movies

imho.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM
Sidwarrious at 7:11AM, Nov. 13, 2007
(online)
What? TV ain't greater then movies jes longer!

not the place for that though.

ozoneocean at 7:27AM, Nov. 13, 2007
(online)
…The original Clerks movie, to me, looked like a crappier version of what British TV sitcoms have done for DECADES. And not as funny.
-I just had to say that. Sorry. Bits of it were good though, it was a good idea, and the Jay and Silent bob characters were stand outs. :)

I wanted to see Marine's movie, I really, really did. :(

Yeah, webcomics could make it as movies.Vindibud was a bad example though, that'd work GREAT as a sitcom, even if they weren't heroes… in fact, it's the writing that makes it good, not really the situation, which puts you in mind of The Tick, so Williams could just do well using his skills writing great sitcoms. :)

Yeah, a lot of web comic could work on film. Some on TV. Pinky TA would make a decent film if I trimmed of all the fat and rewrote it. It'd make terrible TV though, even as an animated series it'd suck. TV is MUCH better than film in my opinion, and an idea has to be much stronger to survive on TV than film.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
Crazy Dutchman at 10:39AM, Nov. 13, 2007
(offline)
If ‘So Bored’ would be made into a movie, it would hit directly for the IMDB Bottom 100 :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Tantz Aerine at 11:29AM, Nov. 13, 2007
(online)
I think Wolf would make a nice little thriller movie :) Don't you?

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:07PM
usedbooks at 11:54AM, Nov. 13, 2007
(online)
I don't think movies are “better” than TV or vice versa. Movies have more glamor/fame and usually better production value. TV… It depends on the show. Most prime time hour-long stuff has very good writing and production quality. The dime a dozen original animated series aren't so great, but you find a few winners among them. (There are plenty of crap movies too, but if a movie is crappy enough, then it's sorta “good” for different reasons. ;) ) The most impressive things to me are mini-series. They are like something between a really long movie and a short high quality series. I'm a major TV junkie myself.

I think most of my favorite DD comics would be awesome in some sort of moving media. Movies are just too short for me. I'd like to see mini-series. A few strips I read could have those 15 minute cartoon shows (old school :) ). Not many I read would fall into the typical TV show 30 to 60 minute episode category unless it was one of those always to-be-continued formats (dreaded soapoperaness!). I'm not a fan of those. To be a good TV series for me, a comic would need short but complete story arcs and enough interesting ideas for unique plotlines to create a couple seasons. I don't read many comics that are like that, but I'm guessing there are probably some out there. (In fairness, I don't read many webcomics.) – Or a series could be created based on a webcomic – more like a spin-off than a direct translation.

Now that my rambling is done… Used Books couldn't be a movie. There's way too much stuff going on, and almost none of it could be cut out or reformatted.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM
Knuckles at 12:15PM, Nov. 13, 2007
(offline)
I would love to see some of my comics and ideas get turned into an anime. Sometimes I have dreams of anime about my stories. It's so weird. When I was younger I made a pitiful attempt at trying to draw a complete 1-minute animated short all by myself, but failed halfway after realizing it was much harder than it looked on those old Disney films that talked about the animation process >_>
I didn't even have a lightbox LOL…

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
Sidwarrious at 1:02PM, Nov. 13, 2007
(online)
I tried staying on topic, even said it aloud, and Ozone came in and went way off. I think that's funny ^__^.

But I'd love to see a comic TV show as well, but it'd have to be animated. I don't want Mercs to get “Blade”d.
SarahN at 3:45PM, Nov. 13, 2007
(online)
Hey, people have gotten actors/actresses off of Youtube. Crazier things have happened. I wouldn't be surprised if Gunnerkrigg Court or Xylia became a movie.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
marine at 4:03PM, Nov. 13, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
I wanted to see Marine's movie, I really, really did. :(

I thought about looking for a copy of it to watch, but I just can't. Especially now. The real life stuff its based on has lost the romanticism that it once had. It was basically a love letter, albeit an insane one, to a person I really cared about that I can't now. A character based on someone who was special to me is pretty much the center of everything. Also the actual appears in the film in some of the more memorable surrealist sequences, the sort of cut aways to insanity like Natural Born Killers or House of a Thousand Corpses. I tried to make a film that was great, but it wasn't. I'll try again someday. I have notes on how to improve the next time, but I doubt I want to make it. The story was such a personal thing to me, I really just wanted the experience of making a movie.

I don't want to watch it or talk about it, but here I am talking about it. Its like hearing Tom Hanks talk about that aids movie he was in. Knowing what happens after the film takes place for everybody involved is terrible. Plus a lot of people who were my close friends, ain't so close with me anymore. I don't want to respond, but would you like to know more?

Sidwarrious
And did you make Clerks? I think you made Clerks.

It was a pastiche of clerks and early 90s generation x indy films, like Reality Bites and a couple other movies like that. In my movie the character arcs aren't as positive or glazed over as they are in these so called edgey movies. Also if you'll watch his movies, Kevin Smith doesn't really know how to direct. Its like he never tried to learn film theory at all. He knows how to make a movie with a bunch of his friends, and he's made some funny movies and one great movie. But don't compare my stuff to clerks. The comparison is only superficial. Is it a stylistic influence or narrative influence? Yes. I got ideas from how he made clerks, but using some newer technology to do it. The color thing was a stylistic choice not done because of budget reasons like on Clerks. It was my choice to wash out the colors. Would Sin City have been as good in full color? I had considered doing several objects in color, but we never got that far in post, the product we had mostly finished was screenable.

A lot of people did not like it. But the people that did loved it. Same thing with all my work. Some people got it and thought it was great, others hated it and didn't understand anything, some people just really liked the dick and fart jokes. For me, it was about making a personal film to show to someone that meant something to me. That I was able to just hand to them and say “I'd like to hope you understand.I made this about you.” I always had a weird relationship with her anyway, but it was one of the main contributing factors to her deciding that I wasn't just some guy.

Hows that for an impressive pick up line guys? “I made you a movie.” If I made that movie now, it would mean something completely different to me. It would be almost a tribute or a cautionary tale. “I made this about someone special to me. Laugh at me.”

Sort of like how Howard Stern made the movie about how much he loves his wife, then he ended up getting divorced and now the film doesn't mean the same thing. Just that his film was a huge success that he was proud of and worked hard on (not that I didn't) and mine was something I downright loathed. One day, I'll do it again. Better. But until then, my next movie project would be Big Angry Black Guy or Werewolf. Something that theres an established audience for. Something that doesn't bring back memories of someone I try to forget.
Sidwarrious at 10:05PM, Nov. 13, 2007
(online)
Me were joking. me know you make clerks not. wordsies hurty head. tuna fish glaze.
Inkmonkey at 2:52PM, Nov. 14, 2007
(online)
The original premise for Elijah and Azuu was a screenplay my brother was working on; I basically just stole the characters from him. Anyway, as it is now, it'd be a terrible movie. But I feel that the premise has a chance as a film, though there'd be a lot of characters cut and some sort of real story would have to be plugged in.

And really, I think that's how most webcomics could be turned into a movie. Really, I think almost any webcomic could make a decent movie with just a few tweaks here and there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
bongotezz at 7:32PM, Nov. 14, 2007
(offline)
my comic might work for adult swim but not much else.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
DAJB at 1:58AM, Nov. 16, 2007
(online)
It's a long time since I looked into Platinum's mission statement, but I seem to remember that they are specifically interested in comic properties that have the potential to become movie/TV spin-offs.

That, coupled with their involvement in DD seems to make it almost certain that a webcomic will at some stage see life on screen.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
freefall_drift at 7:02AM, Nov. 16, 2007
(online)
A interesting well written webcomic should be considered for a movie.
A interesting well written story from any source should be considered for a movie.
A interesting well written movie should be considered for a Web comic.
Freefall Drift - A sci fi space opera of a starship's mission of stopping the Endless Kings.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
marine at 2:47AM, Nov. 17, 2007
(offline)
freefall_drift
A interesting well written webcomic should be considered for a movie.
A interesting well written story from any source should be considered for a movie.
A interesting well written movie should be considered for a Web comic.

http://www.drunkduck.com/SNAKES_ON_A_PLANE_THE_COMIC/
Sidwarrious at 1:13PM, Nov. 17, 2007
(online)
Ew…SOAP.
subcultured at 1:26PM, Nov. 17, 2007
(online)
“bilaran wars” was made into a movie in my comic “dreams in Synergy” :P
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
Sidwarrious at 2:29PM, Nov. 17, 2007
(online)
But isn't that cheating? Awesome though. If I had movie theatres in Galinor I'd SO put up some of my fave comics in the cinemas.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved