Media Megaforum

Doctor Who
BlueFlame_Studios at 11:48AM, Dec. 28, 2007
(offline)
This show has been running for decades. Over in the UK it's an obsession, here in America it's a guilty pleasure.

Doctor Who is one of the greatest sci-fi shows ever broad casted on tv(in my opinion).

It was revamped back in 2005 after it's long hiatus and has been gaining new fans around the world.

You can buy Series 1, 2, and 3 from Amazon or find it in a store somewhere.

The show's Christmas Special titled The Voyage of the Damned was completely spectacular and I loved every bit of it. The only problem I had with it was Kylie Minogue's acting, ech, she was sub par to me.

So any other Doctor Who fans out there? Come on in and let's discuss.

A Comic by Habilis_Orian

Autumn Blood Forums

My deviantArt Page
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:28AM
Inkmonkey at 4:14PM, Dec. 28, 2007
(online)
I've been a big Doctor Who fan for the past two years. I was familiar with the series, in passing, for a number of years, but it wasn't until my roommate ordered the first season of the new series from Netflix that I really got into it. Right now I'm really enjoying David Tennant as The Doctor. Eccleston did a good job, but he didn't really have the same kind of energy that Tennant brings to the role.

I have, however, taken the time to check out some of the older Who series', and I'm not surprised that Tom Baker is still The Doctor to a lot of people. I'm pretty certain that Tennant draws most of his inspiration from Baker for the role.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
Ziffy88 at 5:30PM, Dec. 28, 2007
(offline)
Love the revamp series the only thing of the older series I have seen so far is some of the Peter Davidson episodes and those were pretty good. Hey I'm not only a Dr. Who fan but a Torchwood fan first. I saw Torchwood enjoyed it started watching as much of the Dr. Who series then
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:01PM
BlueFlame_Studios at 6:45PM, Dec. 28, 2007
(offline)
Inkmonkey
Eccleston did a good job, but he didn't really have the same kind of energy that Tennant brings to the role.

I have, however, taken the time to check out some of the older Who series', and I'm not surprised that Tom Baker is still The Doctor to a lot of people. I'm pretty certain that Tennant draws most of his inspiration from Baker for the role.

Exactly, Eccleston wasn't really into the role. That's why he left to go do other shows such as Heroes. Tennant he has just the right personality for it, zany, cooky, and extremely energetic. It's really how the Doctor should be.

The older series was great too and Tom Baker really did deliver as the 4th Doctor.

Ziffy88
Love the revamp series the only thing of the older series I have seen so far is some of the Peter Davidson episodes and those were pretty good. Hey I'm not only a Dr. Who fan but a Torchwood fan first. I saw Torchwood enjoyed it started watching as much of the Dr. Who series then

Yeah, Peter Davidson marked the first of the ‘younger’ Doctors. He really hit a (I suppose you can say) hallmark because of that.

Torchwood is alright to me, I'm not a big Torchwood fan. Though some of the episodes were really great. It's a more darker, edgier cousin to Doctor Who. Unfortunately it's been rumored that Torchwood would be watered-down for children in it's 2nd Season, that would suck if it actually happens.

A Comic by Habilis_Orian

Autumn Blood Forums

My deviantArt Page
Ziffy88 at 8:28PM, Dec. 28, 2007
(offline)
after the first couple of episodes its gotten a little slow it then started to get better.
subcultured at 9:47PM, Dec. 28, 2007
(online)
stopped watching when eccelson left.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
ozoneocean at 10:28PM, Dec. 28, 2007
(online)
Herio posted an excerpt where Davidson's Doctor met Tennant's. And I can see why people like Tennant; he IS quite energetic, not all serious and dour like Eccy… what turns me off about him is the young hipsterishness that they make him exude with the haircut, poses he strikes, the shoes etc.
That sort of thing's annoying in any case and it's not “WHO” like in my eyes, but even Tennant is acting a lot younger than himself in that regard… he's no teen or 20 something teen-wannabe.

BUT, he's not bad.

Baker is a sort of “heroic” extreme… The mythological doctor lol!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
Ziffy88 at 10:44PM, Dec. 28, 2007
(offline)
I liked both they kind of match their stories. Christopher is much more serious because his story starts off kind of tragic, he just burned down his homeworld. David acts happy but we understand he acts this way because well he is very sad.

Also I just saw the Christmas awesome. Good humor, but basically the plot is the Posieden with aliens, killer robots and spaceships
BlueFlame_Studios at 11:00PM, Dec. 28, 2007
(offline)
subcultured
stopped watching when eccelson left.

lol, I remember that video.

ozoneocean
what turns me off about him is the young hipsterishness that they make him exude with the haircut, poses he strikes, the shoes etc.

That's why I like him, because that's what makes him..well him. It's almost like what he said in Time Crash..''In the beginning I wanted to be all old and important.'' I figured since The 5 Incarnation he wanted to be younger and zany he'd end up like he is now.

I hope Tennant continues after 2009 with Series 5.

And I really can't believe no one has made a Doctor Who topic.

A Comic by Habilis_Orian

Autumn Blood Forums

My deviantArt Page
ozoneocean at 11:16PM, Dec. 28, 2007
(online)
It's not “younger” though, it's the current pop-culture conception of it… As if rather than doing his own thing like he used to, for some reason the Doctor has turned into a product of 21stC consumer culture. lol!

“I will act ”cool“ like the kids in the playground, the bands they like and the actors on those cool TV shows”

Whatever…

BUT, there have been a few WHO threads but they're over. Much nicer to start afresh I think :)

BlueFlame_Studios at 11:22PM, Dec. 28, 2007
(offline)
You know Ozone, you're absolutely right. I guess the figured they'd attract a younger audience if they make The Doctor look like today's new fad.

But regardless of how he looks, it's how he portrays the character that counts. And I have to say he's doing a (as he would say) brilliant job at it.

A Comic by Habilis_Orian

Autumn Blood Forums

My deviantArt Page
ozoneocean at 11:30PM, Dec. 28, 2007
(online)
I don't actually like being right… :(
But thanks for saying so :)

Yeah, I'm just bitchy, but I did mostly like what I saw. He's a very good actor and I like what he brings to the role (in the little I've seen of it). It may yet convince me to try out his series yet!

BlueFlame_Studios at 11:43PM, Dec. 28, 2007
(offline)
There are talks about a Doctor Who game and Billie Piper's return as Rose.

A Comic by Habilis_Orian

Autumn Blood Forums

My deviantArt Page
DAJB at 3:15AM, Dec. 29, 2007
(online)
I suspect I'm probably the only person on here who still has vague (very vague, I hasten to add!) recollections of William Hartnell's Doctor in grainy B&W 60s TV. The Doctor I associate most with the role however is Jon Pertwee. It's a generational thing here in the UK - the Doctor you grew up with will always be the Doctor and every subsequent Doctor will always be a pale imitation.

Of the two Doctors they've had since the series was revived, Eccleston was okay but he was chosen mainly because he had serious acting credentials, not because he wanted the part. And I think it shows - he really hams it up at times. A few of his episodes are good but that first series is still aimed squarely at children and I watched it for reasons of nostalgia, more than anything else.

David Tennant, on the other hand, has been excellent! It's rumoured that he was always Russell Davis' preferred choice for the role and I can see why. He really brings something fresh and new to the role. Whether the scripts have got smarter too or whether Tennant just makes it seem like they have, I don't know, but for the first time in decades we have a Doctor Who that can be enjoyed by adults and children!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
isukun at 5:58AM, Dec. 29, 2007
(online)
I suspect I'm probably the only person on here who still has vague (very vague, I hasten to add!) recollections of William Hartnell's Doctor in grainy B&W 60s TV.

I've been watching a number of the old episodes to get a better feeling for the mythos. William Hartnell's episodes can be found in one form or another (unfortunately, a good number have been lost to time and only exist as audio) and do have some pretty good writing is a bit heavy on the educational side (a lot of historical episodes vs the scifi we're used to these days). I kind of wish the BBC had kept better archives of their older shows, then we could be graced with some decent box sets of old Doctor Who episodes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
BlueFlame_Studios at 6:52AM, Dec. 29, 2007
(offline)
DAJB
for the first time in decades we have a Doctor Who that can be enjoyed by adults and children!

Spot on. I was watching Doctor Who Confidential for Time Crash and Peter Davison was saying that even his children are into Doctor Who for Tennant.

isukun
I've been watching a number of the old episodes to get a better feeling for the mythos. William Hartnell's episodes can be found in one form or another (unfortunately, a good number have been lost to time and only exist as audio) and do have some pretty good writing is a bit heavy on the educational side (a lot of historical episodes vs the scifi we're used to these days). I kind of wish the BBC had kept better archives of their older shows, then we could be graced with some decent box sets of old Doctor Who episodes.

They've remade some of those in cartoon form and there actually are DvDs out from the old serials, check Amazon. Also some are even on YouTube and other video sites like Stage 6 and Veoh.

A Comic by Habilis_Orian

Autumn Blood Forums

My deviantArt Page
Ziffy88 at 1:31PM, Dec. 29, 2007
(offline)
It's not the same
isukun at 2:36PM, Dec. 29, 2007
(online)
I know SOME exist, but a good number of them are lost, especially from later seasons (season one is mostly in tact, while everything after that has a lot of episodes missing). You can get DVDs for most of the episodes that are still in the archives and they remade two episodes as animations (and never got funding for any more), but there is a considerable amount of material missing. Like I said, they have the soundtracks for all of the episodes and detailed production notes and even still images (they have “reconstructed” versions of all of the missing episodes using still images and the original soundtracks, but it is hardly the same). It might be interesting to see some animation studio create detailed 3D models of all the characters and remake the old seasons as CG animated episodes using the original soundtracks, but updating special effects and such, but I doubt that will happen any time soon. It would probably be the best possible use for photorealism in CG I can think of.
ozoneocean at 6:16PM, Dec. 29, 2007
(online)
They showed a few on TV here a couple of years ago, including the very first one of course. It was go to see. Hartnel played him as such a grouch and I like how you think the gal could be his niece or granddaughter or something.

They really were very well acted in the style of the time and stylishly written. It was a good, solid show, without much flash, unlike Star-Trek and Lost in Space, with a much more interesting premise.

But I still enjoy those other shows as well ^_^

isukun at 9:20PM, Dec. 29, 2007
(online)
I find Hartnel's Doctor changes over time. He goes from the grumpy old man to more of an eccentric. In later episodes they start to just throw stuff in there like making him a martial arts master for no particular reason. He gets a bit more sociable over time and even starts to enjoy having companions. He also has a bit of a childish streak to him and can be a bit stubborn (and definitely thinks way too highly of himself).

As for Susan, I don't think they ever give the impression that she is anything but his granddaughter. The BBC still claims she's a Time Lord.

One of the things I like most with the older episodes is that the writers seem to treat it more seriously than the later stuff. The Doctor has flaws and frequently makes mistakes that get the whole party into trouble just to appease his curiosity (he can be a real dick sometimes, too). I also like some of the little details the creators of the show went with which set it apart from other movies and shows of the time. Like having the cavemen in the first story arc speak normally and show an almost modern thought process, but still lack an understanding of the physical world.
BlueFlame_Studios at 8:09PM, June 7, 2008
(offline)
Has anyone seen Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead yet?
I have to say it's one of the best serials of the season. It was the best I've ever seen since ‘'Blink’' from Series 2.

Steven Moffat is a genius, I'm glad he's taking over for Series 5.

A Comic by Habilis_Orian

Autumn Blood Forums

My deviantArt Page
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
subcultured at 4:38PM, June 8, 2008
(online)
the only dr who for me is eccleson…when he left i stopped watching
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:03PM
SpANG at 5:54PM, June 8, 2008
(online)
I've been a fan since the Tom Baker series came to the states (the 80's). The re-vamp is fantastic, I loved Eccleston as the Doctor, but you can tell Tennant was a true fan of the show. He plays the role with such passion! Anyways, I love the show. The only revamped show I didn't like funnily enough, was the first one called “Rose”. And I know lots of people like Rose, but I like Martha and Donna so much more than I liked Rose. It's more interesting without the romance. At least, it's more “Doctor Whoish” for me. ;)

BlueFlame_Studios
Spot on. I was watching Doctor Who Confidential for Time Crash and Peter Davison was saying that even his children are into Doctor Who for Tennant.
Truer than you may think. Did you know the woman that played “The Doctor's Daughter” (Georgia Moffett) is actually Peter Davidson's daughter?

She's pretty hot, too. I hope she doesn't inherit her dad's hairline. ;P

“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
BlueFlame_Studios at 7:57PM, June 8, 2008
(offline)
SpANG
The only revamped show I didn't like funnily enough, was the first one called “Rose”. And I know lots of people like Rose, but I like Martha and Donna so much more than I liked Rose. It's more interesting without the romance. At least, it's more “Doctor Whoish” for me. ;)

Rose, I liked Rose because there was a romantic bond between her and The Doctor. Something you really don't get to see often out of him.

Martha was like a best friend to him.

Donna is more like his older sister. Keeping him in line, telling him to shut up. I love it.

SpANG
Truer than you may think. Did you know the woman that played “The Doctor's Daughter” (Georgia Moffett) is actually Peter Davidson's daughter?

She's pretty hot, too. I hope she doesn't inherit her dad's hairline. ;P

Yeah, now that you mention it, I do remember hearing about her in an interview with Peter Davison. That totally slipped my mind.

She did pretty good in that episode, I sure hope we get to see her again soon. And I sure hope she doesn't get that dreadful hairline either. lol.

Oh! Did you know that Steven Moffat is taking control of the show for Series 5. That's going to be great. No more wibbely-wobbely episodes. Just straight up good stuff.

And you've got to see Silence in the Library/The Forest of the Dead. But I think America is about an episode or two behind us. I think The Doctor's Daughter just aired last week over there.

A Comic by Habilis_Orian

Autumn Blood Forums

My deviantArt Page
SpANG at 9:23PM, June 8, 2008
(online)
BlueFlame_Studios
And you've got to see Silence in the Library/The Forest of the Dead. But I think America is about an episode or two behind us. I think The Doctor's Daughter just aired last week over there.
Just saw it on Sci Fi channel Friday ;)

My fav episode ever of the new series is “Blink”. That was fantastic. I like timey wimey stuff. :D
ozoneocean at 10:17PM, June 8, 2008
(online)
BlueFlame_Studios
Rose, I liked Rose because there was a romantic bond between her and The Doctor. Something you really don't get to see often out of him.
Ewwwwww! I disliked that most. Rose is such a vapid, fish lipped, fatheaded, big faced twit. But aside from that her character was played so young and stupid, like a child.
And the doctor being so amazingly old, and even just taking Eccy at face value, he didn't play the doctor as being particularly young at heart like Tennant or Davidson.

SO the thing was: CREEEEEEEPPY.

yeah, all ew and wrong. She looked and acted 16, he looked and acted 47. Regardless of their real ages, that's what it looked like.
—————-

Back with Tom Baker, you could see flickers between him and Romana, and that looked right, she was pretty much his equal in most ways. And unlike Rose, when she thought she was being smart, she really was being smart: intelligent.
Davidson and Tegan also seemed to spark, and again, unlike Rose Tegan was an able, motivated and accomplished person. Plus, Davidson behaved younger.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
DAJB at 12:41AM, June 9, 2008
(online)
BlueFlame_Studios
Donna is more like his older sister. Keeping him in line, telling him to shut up. I love it.
Donna is great. I have never been a fan of Catherine Tate, hated her comedy series, loathed her trite little catch-phrases, but … She was made to play the part of Donna!

After the hint of a romantic connection between Rose and the Doctor, and Martha's unrequited fascination with him, the series needed a jolt to ensure that all his future assistants weren't going to be similarly smitten … Donna certainly provides that jolt!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
BlueFlame_Studios at 3:14AM, June 9, 2008
(offline)
ozoneocean
And the doctor being so amazingly old, and even just taking Eccy at face value, he didn't play the doctor as being particularly young at heart like Tennant or Davidson.

SO the thing was: CREEEEEEEPPY.

yeah, all ew and wrong. She looked and acted 16, he looked and acted 47. Regardless of their real ages, that's what it looked like.
—————-

Back with Tom Baker, you could see flickers between him and Romana, and that looked right, she was pretty much his equal in most ways. And unlike Rose, when she thought she was being smart, she really was being smart: intelligent.
Davidson and Tegan also seemed to spark, and again, unlike Rose Tegan was an able, motivated and accomplished person. Plus, Davidson behaved younger.

Oh no no no no. Not with Chris Ecc, I meant to say the connection when David started portraying The Doctor. Eww, Eccy is a loser. He didn't want to do the show anymore so he left it for Heroes.

——–

Oh yeah! I remember Romana. She didn't die didn't she?
Tegan was cool and now thinking back, I see similarities in attitude between her and Donna.

DAJB
Donna is great. I have never been a fan of Catherine Tate, hated her comedy series, loathed her trite little catch-phrases, but … She was made to play the part of Donna!

After the hint of a romantic connection between Rose and the Doctor, and Martha's unrequited fascination with him, the series needed a jolt to ensure that all his future assistants weren't going to be similarly smitten … Donna certainly provides that jolt!

I totally agree with you. The only thing I liked from her show was the sketch she did with David (where he was the new teacher).

Donna is a really funny character. Especially in ‘'The Unicorn and the Wasp’'.

A Comic by Habilis_Orian

Autumn Blood Forums

My deviantArt Page
ozoneocean at 3:37AM, June 9, 2008
(online)
I heard a radio play a while ago on BBC7… Romana was the leader of the timelords or whatever they call it. Shada or something.
Can't remember the actor's real name, but she was married to Douglas Adams, who happened to write that particular episode.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:31PM
SpANG at 2:42PM, June 9, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
I heard a radio play a while ago on BBC7… Romana was the leader of the timelords or whatever they call it. Shada or something.
Can't remember the actor's real name, but she was married to Douglas Adams, who happened to write that particular episode.
Lalla Ward? No, I don't think her and Adams were married, although they were very good friends. He actually introduced her to her husband, Richard Dawkins.

Tom Baker was also married to Lalla Ward for a time.

But I was a Mary Tamm fan myself. ;)

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved