Media Megaforum

Documentaries and such...
TheMidge28 at 10:57AM, March 18, 2008
(online)
I have never been a big fan of documentaries. Maybe its the subject matter… who am I kidding. The majority of the time its the subject material which doesn't appeal to me. Over the weekend I just watched a documentary which I really enjoyed; The King Of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters. I was lost in the nostalgia and laughing at the seriousness of these champions of classic arcade games like Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, etc. I had never had so much fun watching a documentary. The main story follows the reigning champion whose score has never been beaten and a newcomer challenging and beating his score. Sounds simple, boring and stupid but how the film maker tells the story plus these amazingly unbelievable people it had me drawn in and by the end of it I wanted more.

So it got me thinking about documentaries…
Are the ones you have enjoyed like I enjoyed this one?
Why did you like it so much?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:24PM
Frostflowers at 12:01PM, March 18, 2008
(online)
Unlike you, I've always been a fan of documentaries - especially ones with old black-and-white footage.

The one documentary that stands out in my mind, though, is a Swedish one. Back at the turn of the century, it was common practise to institutionalise “difficult” children - the definition of “difficult” varied - and this particular documentary (which I can't remember the name of) focused on the lifestory of one of those children. She had been taken from her mother and brought to the poorhouse, and then passed on to the mental ward because she was very energetic and had an over-active imagination, and liked to express herself (often and loudly, which was a big no-no for young girls).

So she had spent the better part of her life institutionalised, and had been released sometime in her sixties. It was utterly fascinating just listening to her talk - even though she was well over eighty at the time the documentary was made, she was perfectly clearheaded, and amazingly not bitter at all about what had happened to her.
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Exzachly at 2:20AM, March 19, 2008
(online)
The Up series is pretty fascinating if you have the patience for it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
ozoneocean at 2:31AM, March 19, 2008
(online)
Everything by David Attenboroug, especially the early stuff. The books he wrote to go along with those series are just as good too.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:30PM
TheMidge28 at 9:13AM, March 19, 2008
(online)
Ozone and Exzachly, could tell me or anybody else interested more about those series of Documentaries? What what are they about and what was so fascinating about them for you?

just inquiring. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:24PM
Frostflowers at 1:21PM, March 19, 2008
(online)
Seconding ozone on the David Attenborough documentaries - I've never been so fascinated with nature as when I'm watching his documentaries. His show on birds of paradise is absolutely wonderful, and I heard he's just recently finished his “Life” series (The Life of Birds, The Life of Mammals, Life in Cold Blood, etc., etc. - there's more details on Wikipedia).

Seriously one of the best nature documentary presenters/writers out there.
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved