Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Does anyone know a site w/ a template that has a name I can show my 9 year old?
theleftangle at 6:26AM, June 6, 2007
(offline)
I like what DD offers, ie the template, and CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! I had my comic on Comic Genisis for a year and got very little help. I work for a living so I don't have an unlimited amt of time for researching the fourms for help. That is for art, and kids an-oh yeh!-the wife! So I like DD, but I don't want to show it to my daughter, so is there any hosting sites out there with the same type of services and a name I don't have to be embarassed about? Hell-ZOMBIE DUCK would have been better!
No dissin' intended.
Marty
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:20PM
josif at 8:55AM, June 6, 2007
(offline)
Heheh..
Your Reading Skills Have Increased By Two Points.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
silentkitty at 9:07AM, June 6, 2007
(offline)
How young is your daughter that the word “drunk” would be considered offensive? You can see worse than that on the cover of a magazine on the grocery shelf. :/

Edit: Nevermind, I just noticed your title says she's 9. Although my point still stands.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:37PM
Ozoneocean at 9:42AM, June 6, 2007
(online)
The name of the site makes you too embarrassed? :)
It's a popular recipe for cooking a Duck…

Ok, apart from Comic Genesis, two competitors I can think up of the top of my head are Smack Jeeves and Comic Dish.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
maritalbliss at 12:51PM, June 6, 2007
(online)
I taught fourth grade for a number of years (and 7th and 8th and even three college courses. But, since she's nine, I'm thinkin' 4/5) If you like I can write a mini-lesson with vocabulary and definations–Inference can be a “toughie” especially with the concepts of denotative and connotative meanings breathing down a throat; and then you might feel okay with the name? After all…What's in a name?

She will eventually learn the term…Better on your terms…No?

By the By…I am quite the cookbook collector, so here's 'ya a recipe:

Drunk Duck

~ 6 - 8 duck breasts, boneless & skinless
~ 1 can cream of mushroom soup
~ 1 can cream of chicken soup
~ 1 canister chicken stove top stuffing or cornbread stuffing
~ blush wine

Mix the soups together. Pour half of it into a baking dish.

Place the duck on top of the soup mixture.

Cover the duck with the rest of the soup mixture.

Cover the duck with about 1 inch of the stuffing mix. You can use more or less, just make sure the soup mixture is covered well.

Saturate the stuffing with the wine. Saturate well or the stuffing will burn.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 - 60 minutes or until duck is done.

If the stuffing is browning to quickly, loosely cover with aluminum foil.

Serve & Enjoy!

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 5:24PM, June 6, 2007
(online)
Wait. She's 9 and you think she shouldn't see the word “drunk”?

Most people I know have been aware of what that word meant since like Kindergarten.

Exactly how sheltered is this child?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
Ozoneocean at 5:44PM, June 6, 2007
(online)
Hey Lizzy, I know it's a bit of a strange request, but it doesn't help to pick on him or is daughter. Ok? :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
Terminal at 5:58PM, June 6, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
Comic Dish.

Comic Dish is a fantastic bet. It's just starting, but there's a whole lot of features and the site is very family friendly. (I'mma mod over there too, soooo~~!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:11PM
Red Slayer at 8:52PM, June 6, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean

Ok, apart from Comic Genesis, two competitors I can think up of the top of my head are Smack Jeeves and Comic Dish.
You know what's funny? I clicked one of those links expecting to find something different and unrelated to DD, and the first thin i find is this:http://emd.comicdish.com/
Glarg and Rich…
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:02PM
maritalbliss at 9:03PM, June 6, 2007
(online)
Red Slayer
ozoneocean

You know what's funny? I clicked one of those links expecting to find something different and unrelated to DD, and the first thin i find is this:http://emd.comicdish.com/
Glarg and Rich…

That's freakin' funny. I just clicked on it…thinking…“What could it possibly be…” Yep! Last thing I was expecting! But, a chuckler nonetheless.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
killersteak at 11:24PM, June 6, 2007
(online)
I'd be more worried about the typos. That ‘F’ is right next to the ‘D’ ya know.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
marine at 12:16AM, June 7, 2007
(offline)
I'd suggest making her a drunk duck account, and setting the age to 9. That way all the inappropriate comics (like mine!), will all be filtered out.

Really though, the internet is NOT a place for children. Bad people like me are the nicest people you'll find here. If you'd like a list of websites NOT to show your daughter, I have a list of those.

Some “kid friendly” places are truly the WORST cesspools the internet has to offer. Two fine examples are Gaiaonline and Gamefaqs. Truly, both are some of the highest concentrations of morons I've ever encountered.

Drunk Duck may let assholes like me fester around, but generally it has rules and guidelines in place to keep stuff like penis out of the reach of children.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
Eirikr at 7:47AM, June 7, 2007
(online)
I resent that people as friendly as me can't exist on the internet. However, I will say that finding friendly, non-crazies online is very rare.

But yeah, they have a filter when you sign up for kids under 13, so they can't view bad comics.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:19PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 9:12AM, June 7, 2007
(online)
ozoneocean
Hey Lizzy, I know it's a bit of a strange request, but it doesn't help to pick on him or is daughter. Ok? :)

What? I really want to know how sheltered the kid is. I'm curious! :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
Sam_Charette at 9:15AM, June 7, 2007
(offline)
As the owner and proprietor of Comic Dish I can say with large bias that it's a good site, and we would be glad to have you over there :)

That said, I can also say with much less bias that Drunk Duck is a very good host, and you would be remiss if you didn't at least give it a go. The word drunk isn't a bad word at all, at least no more than death, illness, taxes, etc. The state of being drunk is one you wish your daughter to avoid, but there's no reason why she can't learn what it is now. Children have to learn about these things at some point, and it's best that they do so from a parent who can teach them not only what it is, but why they should avoid it.

Besides, if she's allowed to surf the internet on her own at all, she's bound to have found something much worse :D

Seriously, though, I think you should inform her of what it is, why it's not a good thing to do, why this particular usage is actually the name of a duck recipe and not of the act of being drunk, and bring her on over. DD has one of, if not the best community around, and I urge you to not let the word “drunk” keep you from it.

As to what people have found there, well yeah. Since we're small we really don't have any Comic Dish only comics. Hell, even mine are mirrored here and on SmackJeeves :) Even if the day comes when someone wants a dish-only comic, I'd still recommend mirroring elsewhere, simply because you get more exposure, and more helpful advice.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
mechanical_lullaby at 3:13PM, June 7, 2007
(online)
If she doesn't already know what drunk means, tell her that it means something else other than inebriated.
Or put a sticky note on the computer where the duck usually appears.
I dunno.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
theleftangle at 3:56PM, June 7, 2007
(offline)
WOW! Thank you all so much for responding! I truly did not expect to be noticed.
First off, my daughter does NOT surf the web by herself, but she likes to see my comix, so I show them to her when they post.
I used to be on COMIC GENISIS, (still am I guess) but I took a short break (for about a year) and had trouble getting into my page. So I looked around and found DD and gave it a go. The thing I like the most about DD is the template, I never could get my CG site to look like I wanted it to. Now all I need to figure out is how to put links to other sites onto my page. (I'm HTML-LEXIC)
I have to say that I feel pretty good about the community here. Thanks again for the feedback.

Marty
SpANG at 4:14PM, June 7, 2007
(online)
Actually the original concept was that the duck's actual name was “Drunk”. Or at least a later concept. ;)
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 6:42PM, June 7, 2007
(offline)
The original was the whole drawing story. Dylan's duck died, his friend drew it dead, he thought it looked drunk, bam. Drunk Duck. I think the recipe's pure coincidence.
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:03AM
matt_fatt at 6:27AM, July 10, 2007
(online)
theleftangle
I like what DD offers, ie the template, and CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! I had my comic on Comic Genisis for a year and got very little help. I work for a living so I don't have an unlimited amt of time for researching the fourms for help. That is for art, and kids an-oh yeh!-the wife! So I like DD, but I don't want to show it to my daughter, so is there any hosting sites out there with the same type of services and a name I don't have to be embarassed about? Hell-ZOMBIE DUCK would have been better!
No dissin' intended.
Marty

you could always try not to censor anything around your daughter, especially if shes 9 i was saying fuck regularly by the time i was 9 and i turned out just fine, even if i am a fat dropout 17 year old punk. thats beside the point howver which is that censorship in anyform even if it is in her best interest (i understand i have a 9 year old sis i help look after) is still wrong.

no flaming meant

matt fatt
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 7:51AM, July 10, 2007
(offline)
Why do you use “hell” then?
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:04AM
Bekefel at 8:40AM, July 10, 2007
(offline)
Maybe we should have called the site Sober Swan! lol!

(Thats my idea, no stealing. Makes me cry.)
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:16AM
Vindibudd at 10:46AM, July 10, 2007
(online)
Bekefel
Maybe we should have called the site Sober Swan! lol!

(Thats my idea, no stealing. Makes me cry.)

Or Tea-Totaler Turkey!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
Vindibudd at 10:54AM, July 10, 2007
(online)
theleftangle
No dissin' intended.
Marty

Okay, okay, I just really can't keep my mouth shut here. I was raised Southern Baptist and that means no drinking, for the uninitiated. I am not one to tell people how to raise their kids, but honest to goodness, you are afraid for her to see the word “drunk”? What else are you afraid for her to read? Poop? Disease? Nasty? Icky?

The English language is a varied and beautiful thing and you should encourage her to explore literature and it will help her in the future. By keeping regular non-profane words from her, you are handicapping her against the world. I am deadly serious, as someone who has lived and known many people like that. You are setting things up for a huge blow up later. And the ones that shelter and control the most are the ones that suffer the most later on. Just my advice.

Oh and also, you better not let your daughter read the Bible, lots of rape, murder, torture, genocide, and drunk people!

Other people have answered your question about hosting though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
TheMidge28 at 11:41AM, July 10, 2007
(online)
maybe reading brail might be an option…
no seriously, because if this site and its monicker appear offensive to you and you feel it will be harmful to your 9 year old daughter, believe me the world is filled with so much more and she might be better off being blind…

I don't know by what framework or ideology your are making your decisions, I don't mean to be offensive but if it is religious in any aspect; be it Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, Jewish, Christian, etc… in each and others the mind is important and should be developed as in an act of worship. This is not to say dogmatic blinders placed upon the brokeback horse, but a mind developed to make decisions for themselves as they live and pursue that divinity.

It would appear you like this site to some extent, or you wouldn't have posted this question. You're honestly looking for help or advise. My advise would be not to hide this site to your family but share it and be there to explain if they have questions. Guide them as you should, but not tether them like a dog on the front porch.

:) :) :)

usedbooks at 1:33PM, July 10, 2007
(online)
Who keeps digging up these old threads? This guy hasn't been around for over a month… You're ranting to a wall.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
TheMidge28 at 4:28PM, July 10, 2007
(online)
usedbooks
Who keeps digging up these old threads? This guy hasn't been around for over a month… You're ranting to a wall.

My apologies…
:( :( :( :( :( :(

I wasn't observant enough to check that.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon