Debate and Discussion

Does the American Empire exists?
subcultured at 10:29PM, March 29, 2007
(online)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_empire

-There are those that says America is expanding as an Empire and some say that there is no American Empire.
-Is America a new type of empire that doesn't play by the old empire rules? such as the roman/english/spanish/ empire that used mostly force and slavery to subjegate its colonies.
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
Aurora Moon at 11:06PM, March 29, 2007
(offline)
I wouldn't be surpised if the current gorvenment the way it is was trying to forge itself as an “empire”….

but somehow it just seems so unlikely. at least I hope it is.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
kingofsnake at 9:00AM, March 30, 2007
(online)
I dunno, how are American laws applied to american territories like Guam? If they have a say in which laws apply to them, then no America is in no way an empire. In order for it to be an empire it has to a) be a monarchy, and b)goveren over independant city/states or cultrual countries.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
ozoneocean at 9:50AM, March 30, 2007
(online)
kingofsnake
a) be a monarchy, and b)goveren over independant city/states or cultrual countries.
Not quite true Kingo ^_^

Monarchies don't have to come into it, nor the rest… In fact “empire” is a pretty fluid term. If you were to use it strictly, neither Japan, nor China would ever be considered “empires”. Broadly the term applies to a state that has the power to directly influence others through its control. I suppose that fits the US. There are all those little territories… But then there's the newer ones that a client states in all but name; Afghanistan and Iraq. There are several other countries that are beholden for various reasons such as Columbia, Israel, Ethiopia, and hundreds of others.

Then we have “cultural Imperialism”, something dismissed outright in the US because US citizens have virtually zero experience or understanding of it, but it's something felt quite heavily around the world.

There is NO formal US empire, but you could say that there is an informal one.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
lothar at 7:01PM, March 30, 2007
(online)
this is realy interesting . i just finished reading a book titled “After the Empire” it was originally written by some French dude and prolly didn't go over to well in the states , but in it the guy argues that a sort of voluntary empire existed in the latter half of the 20th century with other countries looking to the US as the defender of the free world and sort of submiting to it's policies to gain this benefit. But since the collapse of soviet Russia there is less need for such protection and the US is playing Less of the role of Protecter while simultaniously trying harder and harder to project the image of itself as an empire around the world . In part this is a neccesary action for the US because of it's failing industrial production and rising trade deficit.
Economically the US is a sort of New-Breed of empire; they are sucking up capitol from around the world to feed their expanding need for imported goods (similar to imperial Rome) BUT , they are not ,in most cases, doing this through military conquest. they are relying on the general idea around the world that the US is the #1 country , that in turn leads to foriegn investment , wich in turn allows the deficit to be propped up a little longer . conflicts like Iraq and Afganistan and the targeting of countries like Cuba and North Korea , are mostly for show ! as the rest of the world is working towards a more peacfull future (relatively) ,the US is trying hard to create the idea that the world is descending into chaos. a Chaos that in many instances is directly caused by US intervention.
So i would say NO, the USA is deffinetly not an Empire. more likely a wanna be empire along the lines of the USSR on the eve of it's slide into marginalization.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
HooHa_Man at 8:40PM, April 2, 2007
(offline)
Standing from my utterly imperialistic pov's, that would be nice. But having an “Empire” of America would never pass as being politically correct legitimization in the world of today. Wikipedia does have a slight point, all things considered, empire's are generally spawned from stronger countries going on an imperialistic raid across certain regions of the earth and claiming what-not and other such for themselves. Different from colonialzation (in terms of economic management) but close at the same time.

Technically Hawaii is an American example of Imperialism. Although defending a “free” world has always been done with a forked tong in American's case.

God bless the U.S.A., and our right to function as any other nation should.

For good, or for worse.
Sprite Comics aren't all crap. >_> <_<
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
kyupol at 8:53PM, April 2, 2007
(online)
In a span of between 50-100 years, the American Empire will collapse on itself.

America is destroying itself while majority of its population continue to fiddle and pour gas on the fire while Rome (er… America) burns. Unfortunately, its not PC to further discuss how the mighty US Empire is collapsing on itself (juz google it and the answers might show up depending on what you search on).

Meanwhile… in a cave far far away… Osama bin laden thinks Allah is answering his prayers to make America fall down. And the more this lunatic is gonna think he is the one true prophet of the one true religion. :(

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
Ronson at 4:21AM, April 3, 2007
(online)
It isn't the building of an empire, it's the expanding of a corporatocracy. National borders mean less and less all the time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:10PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved