Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Does the way a person act in the forum make you not want to read their comics?
mechanical_lullaby at 11:27AM, Aug. 14, 2007
(online)
With me? Yes. I'm vindictive and hateful and spiteful and seeing the way some people treat others here makes me stop reading their comics.
I'm sure some of you have thought the same of me.
The worst it ever got for me hating was during that clever april fools prank and some people took it seriously and pretty much ruined themselves.

The old DD had separate forum and comic accounts which made it hard for me to do this. Kind of makes me feel like a bad person, but oh well.

(lol, I just caught my poor grammar)

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
Bekefel at 11:31AM, Aug. 14, 2007
(offline)
I haven't got any comics anymore, and I am constantly mean on the forums. So it has no bearing on me.

It could explain lefarces lack of comments, since most people don't like him so much.

Not me though, not me.

If I see people posting alot on the forums, it generally tempts me to click their name more often. I don't really care what they have to say.
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:17AM
Neilsama at 11:44AM, Aug. 14, 2007
(offline)
With the exception of two people… ever… I've never met anyone on a forum that behaved so badly that it made me not want to read their comic. You really have to be one hell of a son of a bitch on a forum to get me to actually hate you. And I'm a total scold sometimes. You've seen me get opinionated and furious with people, but I never carry a grudge with anyone.

People really have to go out of their way to make me hate them to such a degree that I will intentionally avoid their site.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
fern at 12:22PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(online)
I'm with Neil'. You would have to be a real jackass for me to completely stop reading your comics, but in reality… that has never happened. Plus, the people who do behave like complete assholes usually get what's coming to them.

So no worries at my end, I loves yah all.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
vgman at 12:39PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(offline)
People who are asses draw me to there comic. I just have to see what these people do in there spare time. They intrigue me so.
RIP TD :cry2:
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:41PM
TheMidge28 at 12:40PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(online)
well check out some this fun thread…

http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?tid=32929&cid=234

this guy doesn't have a comic…but I already have a bad taste in my mouth.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:21PM
warren at 1:14PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(offline)
No, if I was already liking their comic them revealing themselves as an asshole won't change that.

I'd be more likely to avoid reading their posts, if anything.
Warren

On the Duck:
Title -updating! ~30 strips!
PAC -New! >10 strips.

Others:
Spare Change -updating! ~2000 strips!
Mass Production -hiatus. ~300 strips.

This guy does Piss Mario, Stick, and Filler!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:48PM
usedbooks at 1:18PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(online)
I don't think I've ever felt too put off by people to look at a comic. I will give most comics a chance. I only comment on comics if I think the creator would appreciate it, though. Plus, usually people I wouldn't get along with in life create the type of stuff I'm not really interested in reading. (But I'll check it out anyway.)

I am more likely to read comics of people who seem to have the kind of personality or sense of humor that clicks with my own because I will probably enjoy the type of story lines or jokes that those minds generate.

If I'm already reading the comic of a jerk, I won't stop reading or enjoying it. I usually stop reading their forum posts altogether.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:36PM
kingofsnake at 2:51PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(online)
Forum etiquette has very little to do with whether I read someone's comic or not.

Although if someone is really really good at being a jerk, I might give them a cursory glance. But they have to be like masterful at being a jerk. Like it's their job.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
mapaghimagsik at 3:02PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(offline)
Of course it does. But its only an influencer, not the entire thing. There are plenty of comics that are well drawn and have engaging storylines where I disagree with the artist and whatnot.

However, the idea that talent can completely overshadow personality works only when there's *a lot* of talent there, which, in the case of my comic…well, lets just say I try to stay nice :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
skoolmunkee at 3:13PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(offline)
TheMidge28

He's keeping his vitriol in an appropriate place. He's also not going around to other places in the forums looking for opportunity to badmouth others (hint)

:)
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM
deleted-byrequest-03 at 3:59PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(offline)
That's actually a pretty good question.

If I see a total asshole in the forums (which I seriously haven't seen yet in DrunkDuck), I usually want to see their comic. Why? Curiosity. I want to see if their comic reflects on their personality. I'm not saying that I'd laugh at it if it was complete crap. I'd just want to see if he had any love for his comic whatsoever, or if he was a good artist, maybe if his comic was offensive (just like his replies in forums). Usually, they don't have their own comic. The real assholes just get an account to piss people off in the forums.

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
Rori at 4:43PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(online)
If I see someone who's really smart or funny (or seems so)I always check out their page for comics (same way with comments). Some people are so boring I don't bother, but I've never stopped reading a comic because someone was assy in the forums.

EDIT: I make myself sound too nice. I do refuse to read a certain person's comic (to begin with) because of their constant idiocy in the forums, call it a boycott, whatever.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:11PM
TheMidge28 at 4:59PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(online)
skoolmunkee
TheMidge28

He's keeping his vitriol in an appropriate place. He's also not going around to other places in the forums looking for opportunity to badmouth others (hint)

:)

touche`

the thread was there… and it was the timing… and…my bad.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:21PM
Phantom Penguin at 7:09PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(offline)
For me yes.
If someone is attacking people personally on the forums and being a total jackass I really wont be able to put that out of my mind while reading their work.

Same as if say one of my favorite creators killed his wife and kids I wouldn't keep reading his stuff.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
kitty17 at 8:15PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(offline)
For me no. I mean if I enjoy reading their comics I won't stop just cause they're horrible people. I would just try to avoid any of their posts on the forum. If they ended up making everything about them offensive, including possibly adding hurtful or offensive remarks, or images on their comics based on actual people around here, then I'd have to think about.

K.A.L.A.-dan! Moe Maid ;3
Pastel and Kitty :3
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:17PM
notlikelytocare at 8:39PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(online)
I tend to look at the comics of whoever strikes me as an interesting person, asshole or not. I guess being boring just indicates the same for the comic, in my head. And also, i think thats MY problem… I tend to be an asshole, and it seems my comic is dropping in hits.
My avatar is tiny because I'm compensating.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:17PM
marine at 9:23PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(offline)
I never let forum posters influence me at all, most of them are unfunny and lame.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
Aurora Moon at 9:56PM, Aug. 14, 2007
(offline)
DancingChaos
That's actually a pretty good question.

If I see a total asshole in the forums (which I seriously haven't seen yet in DrunkDuck), I usually want to see their comic. Why? Curiosity. I want to see if their comic reflects on their personality. I'm not saying that I'd laugh at it if it was complete crap. I'd just want to see if he had any love for his comic whatsoever, or if he was a good artist, maybe if his comic was offensive (just like his replies in forums). Usually, they don't have their own comic. The real assholes just get an account to piss people off in the forums.

Im the same way. and the funny thing is, the people that gets on my nerves badly ends up having a webcomic that's not really good at all.

sometimes the art is good, but thier humor sucks (if they were going for humor-based comic). And if it's supposed to be a serious story, it doesn't seem like it.

or it's the way around. some of the humor and stuff is good, but the artwork is SO awful.

some people were just meant to be just a writer, not an artist. or a artist only instead of being a writer.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
spellchild at 8:06AM, Aug. 15, 2007
(offline)
Definately. I hate assholes online. I've had to deal with that at my other community. Most people build a wall to shield themselves from that but some other people can't stand it too long and leave. I wouldn't want to read their comic or anything. I don't like giving people like that my valuable time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM
shaneronzio at 11:21AM, Aug. 15, 2007
(online)
No, most of the greatest artists I have known have been Complete assholes, It has not altered My opinion of thier creative works.
Maybe the talent they bear is a Double edged sword and it is hard to be Pleasant all the time when they have Such creations waiting to channel through them.

Artists are like a freaky natural recource, like a Volcano, or a tornado.
Current Project:CROSS WORLDS NEXUS
Updates Monday, Wenzday & FRIDAY
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
Inkmonkey at 1:16PM, Aug. 15, 2007
(offline)
Definitely, the way a person presents themselves in the forums affects whether or not I'll read their comic. That's not to say that if someone's a jerk I'll not read their comic (it doesn't help them, though), but let's say if someone has a really bad sense of humor or uses really pointless run on sentences. Generally if I get the impression that a poster is a bad writer from what they put in the forums, I'll leave their comic well alone. I'll also be more inclined to look at someone's comic if they have an avatar or banner that's drawn very well, sometimes despite horrid grammar.

And, like many people, if someone is terrible enough at everything, sometimes I'll check out their comic just to see what the Hell is wrong with them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
CorruptComics at 1:20PM, Aug. 15, 2007
(online)
I know how to distinguish art from artist.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
mlai at 3:17PM, Aug. 15, 2007
(online)
There is only one person in this forum whose banner I will never ever click on -not even once- due to my perception of that person's forum behavior.

And it's not because that person has a poor personality. In fact, I think that he often makes observant and sedate comments just like all of us.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
Vindibudd at 4:18PM, Aug. 15, 2007
(online)
CorruptComics

I subscribe to this.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:42PM
Rori at 4:25PM, Aug. 15, 2007
(online)
CorruptComics

I don't think it's about that (maybe for some).

EDIT: Remember, even if you think an artist can be completely divorced from their art (which I don't), it's still their product, no matter, and they still benefit (even if only slightly) from your patronage.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:11PM
MagickLorelai at 6:05PM, Aug. 15, 2007
(offline)
I think the short answer is yes. If someone represents their sense of humor a certain way in the forums, then I'll either glimpse the comic to see if it reflects that, or just avoid talking with them. Typically, if someone is an asshole directly to me, I'm not going to return that favor by reading their comic, unless it's a REALLY GOOD COMIC.

But for the most part, you have to be a pretty blatant asshole. Sometimes in those cases, I'll even check out the comic to see if the person has a comic that makes ‘em think they’re so hot. :3 Most often, that's not the case, I've found. At least to me.

I think your public conduct DOES affect your career. Tom Cruise acted crazy everywhere, and now I don't know anyone who takes him seriously. Same for Michael Jackson. Then, look at the people who carry themselves with grace and civility in the public eye (They can STILL be reamed for stupid reasons, but regardless…).
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
FanGurlZ at 2:44PM, Aug. 16, 2007
(offline)
I'm not sure what to say. If I enjoyed a artist comic before seeing his comments on forums I probably would stick to reading is comic. As long as he kept his comments away from his web comic. But usually I read a person comic if they:

1. Have a interesting and colorful banner.
2. Posted something funny/random/intelligent in the forums
3. Is very active on DD

Homophobia: The irrational fear that gays will break in and re-arrange your furniture against your will.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
joe_vee at 3:11PM, Aug. 16, 2007
(offline)
Yar it does affect me, but so far I have only encountered one meanie on here so it hasn't made much of a difference.
~ You Are What You Love, Not What Loves You ~
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
worstcase at 4:43PM, Aug. 16, 2007
(online)
It affects me a ton. If the person is a total asshole then i will refuse to read their comic. Its only a problem if i liked their comic, and then i see them acting up on the forums and Im just like…great. I guess there are a few exceptions, but Its true in most cases
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon