Debate and Discussion

Does transparency in politics have a chance?
bobhhh at 10:43AM, Sept. 19, 2007
(offline)
After my gloomy post in the end of the world thread, I got to thinking that in the short run, we actually have a chance to improve democracy here in America.

I know that politicians are mostly a slithery ilk with a self motivated agenda, but I feel there is a new wave of accountability, aided by the internet, that is successfully holding lots of feet to the fire.

So my question is, does naked honesty and transparency in politics, aided and rewarded by the internet, have a chance of purifying our government, or am I just kidding myself?
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
mlai at 11:12AM, Sept. 19, 2007
(online)
http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?tid=34011&cid=241

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
bobhhh at 12:20PM, Sept. 19, 2007
(offline)
mlai
http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?tid=34011&cid=241

Yes, yes while related, I feel your post here serves to invalidate or supercede my question. If we take the viral nature of the internet as a given, then could you offer a constructive comment?
StaceyMontgomery at 12:40PM, Sept. 19, 2007
(offline)
As Gracchus says in the movie Spartacus - “Politics is a practical Profession”

I dont think politics is ever clean or pure - in fact, the idea sounds kind of scary. It's like when they say that the food was “untouched by humans hands” - good food is made in messy kitchens by people with messy hands.

Messy, mind you, but not dirty.

I do believe that the information age has the potential to make our politics a lot better. Democracy grows best in fresh air and sunlight. The internet is a series of tubes that are perfectly positioned to deliver the needed light and air.

Which is not a prediction, not by a long shot.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
DAJB at 12:06AM, Sept. 20, 2007
(online)
I doubt it. People in power have always acted in ways that serve their own interests. It's part of what gets them to the top in the first place. Nice, moral, ethical people, are weeded out/cut down by the process, long before they reach a position with any real power. Certainly here in the UK, every new government makes it part of its election promises to be less “sleazy” than the one before and every one ends up being just as guilty as its predecessor.

I don't see the internet or any other form of mass communication changing that. It's too deeply ingrained a part of human nature. If anything, the ability of the internet and the like to subject politicians' actions to public scrutiny is more likely to be used as yet another tool the less scrupulous can use to smear their opponents.

Ultimately, I suspect the choice we're faced with come election time will always be “which is the lesser of the evils”. But then, I'm just a grumpy old cynic!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
kyupol at 6:54PM, Sept. 20, 2007
(online)
Stalin is right… as far as politics are concerned.

Gratitude is a sickness suffered by dogs.

The people who cast the votes don't decide an election, the people who count the votes do.

A sincere diplomat is like dry water or wooden iron.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
DAJB at 12:35AM, Sept. 21, 2007
(online)
kyupol
Stalin is right… as far as politics are concerned.

Gratitude is a sickness suffered by dogs.

The people who cast the votes don't decide an election, the people who count the votes do.

A sincere diplomat is like dry water or wooden iron.

Hmmm … this Stalin guy clearly knows his stuff. Think I might vote for him next time round!
;D
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
kyupol at 8:06AM, Sept. 21, 2007
(online)
Hmmm … this Stalin guy clearly knows his stuff. Think I might vote for him next time round!

Too bad he's dead.

Here's your closest bet though. :)

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
bobhhh at 8:56AM, Sept. 21, 2007
(offline)
kyupol

Too bad he's dead.

Here's your closest bet though. :)

Jeez and I thought I was gloomy!
Evil Emperor Nick at 10:55AM, Sept. 21, 2007
(offline)
Yes & No at the same time.

Look at Ex-President Jimmy Carter. The man was, as far as politicians go, pretty close to the real deal. He was clean, mostly transparent and as far as most observers can tell well meaning which is credited as to why he won the presidency. However this didn't make him a very effective president.

So while you can be transparent you also need to be effective which often involves compromise or a sort of devious cleverness.

Additionally perception is a big factor. I'm sure many politicians consider themselves very candid & honest but are not viewed that way by the public. After all many times people don't want to belive the truth, particularly if it is damaging to them or coming from an individual they either don't like or strongly disagree with.

So on the one hand I think you can be transparent and become a powerful political figure but it is a rare combination to have someone who is both honest enough for our likeing, clever enough to both play and win at politics and belivable enough to have people appreciate these traits.

From the conserative viewpoint probably the only person to come close in recent times would be Ronald Reagan (I am not saying he was or was not but only reporting the perception) which is why he is so idolized by that mindset.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
bobhhh at 11:15AM, Sept. 21, 2007
(offline)
Evil Emperor Nick
Yes & No at the same time.

Look at Ex-President Jimmy Carter. The man was, as far as politicians go, pretty close to the real deal. He was clean, mostly transparent and as far as most observers can tell well meaning which is credited as to why he won the presidency. However this didn't make him a very effective president.

So while you can be transparent you also need to be effective which often involves compromise or a sort of devious cleverness.

Additionally perception is a big factor. I'm sure many politicians consider themselves very candid & honest but are not viewed that way by the public. After all many times people don't want to belive the truth, particularly if it is damaging to them or coming from an individual they either don't like or strongly disagree with.

So on the one hand I think you can be transparent and become a powerful political figure but it is a rare combination to have someone who is both honest enough for our likeing, clever enough to both play and win at politics and belivable enough to have people appreciate these traits.

From the conserative viewpoint probably the only person to come close in recent times would be Ronald Reagan (I am not saying he was or was not but only reporting the perception) which is why he is so idolized by that mindset.

Very effective and insightful argument, I too thought Carter was very honest although he sinned the sin of arrogance, feeling he was above the fray of dirty washington politics.

Perhaps if he had shone a brighter light on the nature of government, and was a more effective, affable communitcator, Like Reagan proved to be, he could have elevated the process.

But point taken, just being honest doesn't mean you are wise enough to govern, although I maintain it wouldn't hurt either.
legendkiller13 at 9:24PM, Sept. 21, 2007
(online)
why yes it does, edwin edwards, pretty damn much said here i am and im a crook, i work damn hard, but ima crook, and it worked for him…well not so much lately, but hey cant win em all can ya! lol
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved