Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

doing comics at the same time
flyingwind66 at 9:59AM, Sept. 29, 2007
(offline)
Hi, I was thinking about starting up a new comic, I was wondering if people who do have 2 comics going simultaneously (or have in the past) would like to shed some light on the matter. Do you find that you neglect one comic in favor of the other? Does it FEEL like double the workload? Are you able to update both regularly? Would I be digging myself into a hole since I'm starting college in a week (I'm in the 2nd class, they wanted to stagger it)

Thanks!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:30PM
legendkiller13 at 10:01AM, Sept. 29, 2007
(online)
if you have a busy life, id get several pages in the hole before i launched a new comic online. i have found i ended up neglecting them and that isnt fair to the readers.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
kyupol at 3:19PM, Sept. 29, 2007
(online)
I have 2 unfinished comics.

I've updated Shadow Nemesis from 2005-about august 2007.

Now I'm doing MAG-ISA… and ill see how it goes.

The trick tho is to UPDATE WHATEVER COMIC YOU FEEL. Unless of course… you're getting paid for this or something.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
flyingwind66 at 4:00PM, Sept. 29, 2007
(offline)
ah, ok thanks you guys… guess I'll just work ahead of schedule when I have the time, so I can still put up pages when I'm busy. I think I'll wait until after I start school first, to see how my schedule goes XD
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:30PM
Darwin at 11:01AM, Oct. 1, 2007
(online)
I currently have three comics in the works. There are times when I concentrate more on one than the other two…but of late I have been in a pretty good routine where I get two of three pages done over the weekend and then at my leisure work the Friday comic in.

I am about to launch a fourth on Oct 14th, but it is only 17 pages long and will end on Halloween. I am building pages for that as I get spare time and I hope to have them all complete by the launch date.

I have a comic that I am creating with a friend for a cross over story, but that is just in the planning and art stages and I have no definite plan on when to launch that one.

There is another that I am also working, but it will be hand drawn only (If I can help it) with only framing and word bubbles CG'd in. That again is going to wait until I get probably FFW finished up (I have probably ten pages left to do on it.)

So yeah, I'm nuts…

Did I mention I have a full time job too?

So long as you discipline yourself to consistenly post the pages, and it remains fun for you, a second comic shouldn't be a detriment!

Have fun and good luck!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
JillyFoo at 7:45PM, Oct. 1, 2007
(online)
I have two. I think it can be pretty hard to maintain them both at once. Especially since one of them(Demon Eater) is much easier to make pages for. I keep getting caught up in updating one of them everyday that I forget to up date the other one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
Megawacky_Max at 4:40PM, Oct. 5, 2007
(online)
I am currently working on two comics, and have ideas and plots for another two.

The trick is to avoid falling in the common “omygoshIgottaupdate!!” urge. Relax, this is a fun hobby, not an extreme responsibility!

Also, you shouldn't keep people waiting for too long. A nice idea is to alternate updates. First one comic, then the other one, then the first comic again, etc.

Space your updates, and more important, relax: This is a fun hobby! ^_^

There's more to do in the Net of Nets!
(Megawacky Max)

Other comics by me: Nagaly | Pixie Pals | NOOBS | Metal Skeleton
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
deletedbyrequest03 at 9:13PM, Oct. 5, 2007
(offline)
I'm working on many comics. Although, I'm only updating one. I have recently became too busy to draw comics like I used to…

This year, school's full of BS!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
junoblairb at 4:41PM, Oct. 7, 2007
(online)
God I did it once and probably never again. Two color comics just can't be done by me without help. I have three comics altogether currently but I only vow to update one regularly.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
nibbi at 1:11PM, Oct. 14, 2007
(online)
Yeah I tried and couldn't do it. Focus on one. That's my advice.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:12PM
okamimako at 8:41PM, Oct. 18, 2007
(offline)
*giggles hysterically and clogs herself in a corner with all her notebooks*

Well, actually, at the moment, I can't really say anything, since one of my comics is for my Creative Writing project for school and a reasonable chunk of it is due at semester–so guess which one I'm doing!

But, I would suggest that if you begin a second comic, don't try to keep up with the same updating schedule that you had before. For example, if you update MWF, there's probably no way that you can keep that up with a second comic. Once semester ends, I was thinking of updating my one comic twice a week and the second one once a week. The former is quite a bit shorter (will probably top out at approx 150 pages), so I want to knock that one out of the way first.

If you can't make up your mind, go with what you currently have ideas for at the time. Like someone said before, unless you're on a deadline, this isn't something someone's holding you at gunpoint for. This is just a hobby. Don't kill yourself over it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
Frostflowers at 10:07AM, Oct. 19, 2007
(online)
Splitting your time/attention between two comics might result in both of them suffering - both in updating-schedule and content. However, if you feel like it, go for it. I'd recommend building up a bit of a buffer of comics, so that you can keep the updating schedule at least somewhat consistent and regular.

Hiatuses (is that a word?) can be endlessly irritating.
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved