Debate and Discussion

Double Standards
DOUK at 7:37PM, June 26, 2009
(online)
I think you all know what I'm talking about? Of course not, otherwise why am I making this thread. Because I haven't posted in a long time, I'm out of touch man. So hello again DDers, this time - I promise - I'm here to stay active.

The topic on hand has to do with boys and girls. And the gender inequalities of each. Everyone knows the joke about if a guy gets raped by a girl, he wouldn't tell the cops, he'd tell his friends. But if it was a traumatic experience the guy is screwed because the girl can just as easily accuse HIM of raping HER. flipping the whole story around. In many cases, its the women who are at fault. Not necessarily feminists, but women who want ‘gender equality’ except the bad stuff. This is like those women who are only looking for trouble with sexism. A real world example is that a few girls at my school complained to a gym teacher because he didn't let the girls climb the boys rope (there is a boys rope and a girls rope up to the ceiling, but the girls one is 3/4 the length of the boy's and is thicker and easier to grip). They were probably inspired after watching Dr. Martin Luther King's speech, and went on about how its sexist, and even had all the female teachers sign a paper in support. Well, they got what they darn wanted and not one of them could climb the rope, even after a whole month of equal access.

Is it wrong for me to think that women who take advantage of gender inequalities or want more rights than man are for lack of a better word “bad” women? I'm not the kind of guy who'll hit a women but if her intention is to hurt me, I'll do what I can to hold her down in submission. Only if she has a weapon that is dangerous would I ever punch her hard in the face.

Anyone agree with me? Otherwise why not? Sorry for the long post I'm making up for all the time I missed.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM
HippieVan at 7:50PM, June 26, 2009
(online)
Well, for the rope-climbing story, of course the girls should be allowed to climb the same rope as the guys. Who cares if they can't do it? It should just be a fun thing. There's really no point in restricting access to it.
And it's not right to limit people that way. If you only let people climb the easy rope, they'll only ever be ABLE to climb the easier rope.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Custard Trout at 8:05PM, June 26, 2009
(offline)
I'm not a girl as far as I know, and I wouldn't be able to climb either of them.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
DOUK at 8:06PM, June 26, 2009
(online)
Hippie Van
Well, for the rope-climbing story, of course the girls should be allowed to climb the same rope as the guys. Who cares if they can't do it? It should just be a fun thing. There's really no point in restricting access to it.
And it's not right to limit people that way. If you only let people climb the easy rope, they'll only ever be ABLE to climb the easier rope.

I understand what you're getting at but we use the ropes every day to test our Daily ability. We get tested on how fast we can get to the top, so the only competition here is against your previous time. The girls get an easier rope but its the same effort put in because they're doing it everyday to beat their old record. To keep thing interesting and to blur the line between the two ropes's difficulty we usually have to do some exercise before climbing the rope. Like 3 laps around the gym, or 10 pushups. It really slows you down afterwards.
Aurora Moon at 8:07PM, June 26, 2009
(offline)
Hippie Van

Agreed. I had a similar thing at my school when I was younger… at first I couldn't climb what was originally the “boy's rope”,but over time I managed to get better at it. I even almost got very close to the ceiling once.

It's really just all about skill, not which gender is suited to it.

And I do agree on the whole “hitting a girl” thing. It's bad to hit ANYBODY, period. And Yes, if a woman is threatening to kill a guy, holding a weapon, etc… then that man has the right to knock her out or restrain her using psychical violence. After all, he's defending his own life here! Refusing to hit a woman even when she's holding a knife to your throat isn't chivalrous, it's just plain stupidity.

and Yes, I agree that there are so many unfair double standards for both genders. a 13 year old girl can't stay out late, but a 13 year old boy can? Have parents completely forgotten that there are many pedophiles out there who are equal offenders when it comes to both genders? oh wait, they're under the mistaken assumption that a 13-year-old boy would be able to fight off older adults or other teenagers just because he's a BOY. of course this sort of flawed logic would only put those boys at risk.

Instead, if the parents feel that they are still unable to fend for themselves at certain hours, then they shouldn't be able to go out, regardless of the gender. wait until both the girl and boy is 16 at least. :p

and this sort of logic also applies to the court systems… especially when parents are divorcing. They more than often will automically award the mother custody regardless of whenever the evidence shows her being a bad mother or whatever. She could be a druggie, and some of the judges wouldn't even care… because hey, she's a MOTHER… children are always better off with their mothers right? :p

this of course shafts the poor father who wanted to take his kids out of potential abusive situations too.
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:10AM
DOUK at 8:15PM, June 26, 2009
(online)
Aurora Moon
and this sort of logic also applies to the court systems… especially when parents are divorcing. They more than often will automically award the mother custody regardless of whenever the evidence shows her being a bad mother or whatever. She could be a druggie, and some of the judges wouldn't even care… because hey, she's a MOTHER… children are always better off with their mothers right? :p

this of course shafts the poor father who wanted to take his kids out of potential abusive situations too.

This reminds me of a story I read online about a father who didn't want to buy his two teenaged daughters iPhones (or some expensive gizmo) because they were misbehaving on a previous occasion. The girls wouldn't have that, so they concocted a story about how their Father has been seeing someone else for quite a while and told their mother, who immediately divorced him and took the kids away. Poor guy.

Don't think of one of the ropes as ‘easy’, our school is accustomed to calling it a ‘girls exception’. The girls (except for the ones in the story)consider it a privileged to have a slightly simpler rope. but as I said in a previous post the conditions when climbing really only compliment physical differences in makes and females.
HippieVan at 8:20PM, June 26, 2009
(online)
DOUK
Aurora Moon

This reminds me of a story I read online about a father who didn't want to buy his two teenaged daughters iPhones (or some expensive gizmo) because they were misbehaving on a previous occasion. The girls wouldn't have that, so they concocted a story about how their Father has been seeing someone else for quite a while and told their mother, who immediately divorced him and took the kids away. Poor guy.

Don't think of one of the ropes as ‘easy’, our school is accustomed to calling it a ‘girls exception’. The girls (except for the ones in the story)consider it a privileged to have a slightly simpler rope. but as I said in a previous post the conditions when climbing really only compliment physical differences in makes and females.

It makes sense to have one easier rope and one harder one. Not only for girls and boys, but for people who are weaker and stronger in general. But it should be the choice of that person, knowing their physical strength and limits, which rope they climb. There is no reason to regulate that for them…these people are perfectly capable of making their own decisions for things like that.
Duchess of Friday Newsposts and the holy Top Ten
Have a comic milestone, a community project or some comic-related news you’d like to see in
a newspost? Send it to me via PQ or at hippievannews(at)gmail.com!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:49PM
Aurora Moon at 5:58AM, June 27, 2009
(offline)
DOUK
Aurora Moon

how does that relate? that isn't really gender inequality, just a bunch of kids acting like a stupid asshole just because they didn't get what they wanted.

and I'm sure they're going to regret it big time later on as adults. at least, I hope so. I wonder what the mother's reaction would be if the girls confessed to her that they really did lie about that?
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
DOUK at 11:33AM, June 27, 2009
(online)
Aurora Moon
DOUK
Aurora Moon

how does that relate? that isn't really gender inequality, just a bunch of kids acting like a stupid asshole just because they didn't get what they wanted.

and I'm sure they're going to regret it big time later on as adults. at least, I hope so. I wonder what the mother's reaction would be if the girls confessed to her that they really did lie about that?

I always forget to draw my connections XD The story is similar because it goes on to say about how he pleaded that the girls made it up. The judge believed this until they found out that the daughters didn't like the dad. Instead of putting two and two together the judge thought that since the parents were fighting, the mother should get the kids. There was no mention of the iPhone in court, and the whole room was on the mother's side because that's what the judge thought would be better for the kids. Keep in mind that the daughters asked the dad for the iPhone because he was the breadwinner of the house. The wife was a stay-at-home.

The idea that "moms are better than dads' ties into this discussion a bit, and although it is true most of the time. There are exceptions.
ozoneocean at 1:04AM, June 28, 2009
(online)
The thing about the ropes was double standards. The initial situation that was. How stupid to have a girls rope and a boys rope.

I agree with Aurora and Hippie. It'd be better to have the easy rope for the use of the less fit kids as their practice rope. Kids of either sex.
That makes more sense. To have a one rope for either sex is a moronic idea and your school must be run by idiots.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
megan_rose at 6:15PM, June 28, 2009
(online)
In my day, we had one rope, and we liked it that way! None of us could get to the top, so we all felt equally wimpy.

DOUK
s it wrong for me to think that women who take advantage of gender inequalities or want more rights than man are for lack of a better word “bad” women?

I'd say women who want more rights than men are… misguided. I wouldn't call them bad.

When you've been at such a disadvantage for pretty much all of history, you do tend to wonder what the world would be like if you got to rule it for a change. And some women may take that speculation and try to make it into reality. It's not my cup of tea, but I can see where they're coming from.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
Hawk at 8:59PM, June 28, 2009
(online)
My favorite week in gym class was dodgeball week. I loved dodgeball. Naturally, there were some people who didn't. However, there was a new rule today… no hitting girls in the face. From what I remember, the rule came about from some less athletic girls voicing their concern before things began. But to me it didn't make much of an impact. I liked to aim for peoples' legs anyway, because that makes it harder to catch the ball.

Not long into the game a girl got beaned in the face, probably not intentionally, but it knocked her glasses off and she started crying (I don't blame her, she did get hit kind of hard). However, from this point on, no boy could hit any girl at all, under penalty of getting sent out. Right here, dodgeball was ruined. Boys started hiding behind girls. Some girls took advantage of the situation and flung themselves in front of the ball after a boy threw it. By the end of the game, nobody was having fun because of the restrictions that had been put in place.

This isn't a tale of girls ruining dodgeball. It's a story about a gym teacher seeing a rift in the genders and reacting the wrong way. Just like how my gym teacher ruined dodgeball, some people see a gender-based inequality and apply a solution that is just as sexist as the problem. You can't empower women by treating them like they are weak and vulnerable. And it's worth looking for a solution where men don't feel they they've had unfair limits placed on them.

In the case of dodgeball, either the ball needed to be softer, or everyone's face is off limits. And some people need to realize that they WILL get hit by a dodgeball… If they have a problem with that, they can jog laps instead, which is what we all did for the rest of the week instead of dodgeball. What a crummy week.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
megan_rose at 9:36PM, June 28, 2009
(online)
Hawk
You can't empower women by treating them like they are weak and vulnerable.

Ah, someone who gets it!
I hate hearing guys who say “I won't hit a girl.” That just implies that women are soooooooo weak we'd break like porcelain if a man touched us.

Guys hit each other all the time. And so do I. And I always expect to receive what I dish out. My guy friends are good enough to punch me back just as hard. Does it hurt? Yeah, but I'm fine. I'm not broken, even when the guy hitting me back is twice my weight. Heck, I've been punched right in the face by a man four times my size, but I got right back up. If they didn't hit me back, I'd feel cut off from them. They'd be treating me different, and I don't want that.

Now, I'm not advocating domestic violence, of course. And speaking of DV, women can and do abuse men in these situations, but the whole “I don't hit girls” thing just turns men into victims in a DV situation. If a woman hits you, send it on back.

In a perfect world, nobody would be hitting each other, but since we do hit each other, we should give everybody their fair share.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
ozoneocean at 11:33PM, June 28, 2009
(online)
Hawk
everyone's face is off limits.
That would make more sense.

The moral of this story isthat gym teachers are generally idiots, which is why they do that particular job. This is universal and eteranl. I remember reading Roald Dahl's autobiography “boy” about his idiot gym teacher…

I'm sure there are many exceptions, but the general tendency is that they're dangerously stupid people.
megan_rose
Hawk
Ah, someone who gets it!
This is true too, but I think the generalised hitting example goes a bit far. :)

I think women should be allowed full equality in serving in combat roles in the military. They don't yet. In some instances they do, but they're still generally assigned support roles.

Custard Trout at 11:46PM, June 28, 2009
(offline)
ozoneocean
I'm sure there are many exceptions, but the general tendency is that they're dangerously stupid people.

They also have a tendency to look like gorillas.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
Aurora Moon at 1:43AM, June 29, 2009
(offline)
megan_rose
Hawk

Ah, someone who gets it!
I hate hearing guys who say “I won't hit a girl.” That just implies that women are soooooooo weak we'd break like porcelain if a man touched us.

Guys hit each other all the time. And so do I. And I always expect to receive what I dish out. My guy friends are good enough to punch me back just as hard. Does it hurt? Yeah, but I'm fine. I'm not broken, even when the guy hitting me back is twice my weight. Heck, I've been punched right in the face by a man four times my size, but I got right back up. If they didn't hit me back, I'd feel cut off from them. They'd be treating me different, and I don't want that.

Now, I'm not advocating domestic violence, of course. And speaking of DV, women can and do abuse men in these situations, but the whole “I don't hit girls” thing just turns men into victims in a DV situation. If a woman hits you, send it on back.

In a perfect world, nobody would be hitting each other, but since we do hit each other, we should give everybody their fair share.

Agreed!!

on a slightly unrelated note– you wouldn't had believed my description of my old gym teacher unless you saw him for yourself. he was like a living caricature of all Gym teachers everywhere– huge like a gorilla, had a uni-brow, was stupid and talked like an drill sergeant.
ozoneocean at 2:43AM, June 29, 2009
(online)
Custard Trout
They also have a tendency to look like gorillas.
Can't argue with that.
Aurora Moon
you wouldn't had believed my description of my old gym teacher unless you saw him for yourself.
Oh, I believe it.

Bringing that back to the subject of the thread:
Given that gym teachers tend towards the shallow end of the gene pool (not all, but most), it's not surprising that they're on the tail end of the gender revolution in these cases.
That's giving them too much credit; they're actually retrograde, going backwards.

So they're an extreme example of the whole “double standards” thing. It's alarming that people like that are still in a position of authority over children.

—-
But this brings on an interesting side track:
Why do physical education teachers tend to be cretins? ((Not all are)

I would say that it's because they're normally drawn from a sporting or some other kind of physical background. It just doesn't require a lot of intelligence.
There have always been very bright people who enjoy and specialise in sports and even some physical education teachers that come from a more academic background, but obviously being a gym teacher isn't usually demanding enough for them to hang around doing that for long.

So you could say that it's a teaching position that conservative thinkers are drawn towards, which is why we have situations like this/ :)
NOT that conservative thinkers are stupid, just that people who are stupid don't really think about wider implications and that makes them conservative. (not necessarily politically conservative. That's a different thing.)

Hyena H_ll at 5:42AM, June 29, 2009
(online)
I'll admit freely to totally taking advantage of my “girl parts” during my mandatory high school gym class. I totally “had cramps” every class. It would embarrass my football coach gym teacher so badly when I'd start talking about my period, that he'd mutter something about having daughters, and tell me to go sit on the bleachers. And I'd just draw.

This is especially ironic since- despite being a weirdo punkrock kid- I was on both the soccer team and the softball team. In addition to bein' the least girly girl that I knew. And since when is menstruation perpetual? Really. It was quite humorous.

So is that taking advantage of “double standards”? Yeah, I think so; no males were ever exempt from gym activities. But does that mean I get my “member of the official league of bitchy feminazis and advocates for the elimination of tradition gender identities” card taken away? I don't know.

I tend not to do this now, though. I think it works against women's equality in the long run, and perpetuates misconceptions about gender. I'm not anti-feminity; but irritates me that some women get by on the bat the eyelashes and flip the hair scam. Because in a lot of ways, I have to work so much harder to command respect or prove myself to be as competant in some areas.

Like iron-pouring. It's so obnoxious that other (male) sculptors think I don't know what I'm doing, or can't lift my share of a 300lb. ladle, or whatever because I'm female. Or another one- I have to be a lot more aggressive when I'm teaching male students, or they just dismiss me- if I'm in any way accommodating, they don't treat me like an authority figure. Don't get me wrong- once they realise I know my stuff, it's okay. But the first impression is annoying biased.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
DOUK at 11:34PM, July 1, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
The thing about the ropes was double standards. The initial situation that was. How stupid to have a girls rope and a boys rope.

I agree with Aurora and Hippie. It'd be better to have the easy rope for the use of the less fit kids as their practice rope. Kids of either sex.
That makes more sense. To have a one rope for either sex is a moronic idea and your school must be run by idiots.

I get what you're saying but it wasn't an oppression of women. It was just a ‘school rule’ and noone cared. Much like chivalry, the boys used to be EXPECTED to take the hard one, and ‘reserve’ the easy one for the girls. If a boy was taking his time on the easy one, and the girls were all waiting, he'd be viewed as a rude person. Over the years it stuck, much like how other customs int he real world are made.
ozoneocean at 1:21AM, July 2, 2009
(online)
DOUK
Over the years it stuck, much like how other customs int he real world are made.
Fair enough, but once someone points out that they are in fact bad or stupid customs, they're often changed :)

Faliat at 8:15AM, July 5, 2009
(online)
Personally I think that nowadays women are digging their own sexist graves. If they make ludicrous demands based on what they think is sexist or take advantage of such a situation men will start watching what they say and do around women and treat them differently in case they get offended.

Good thing I'm a mould breaker.

I was crap at sports but that's mainly because I'm short and B12 deficiency made me anaemic and tire out easily. And that wasn't even found out until after I had my first blood test at 18. And it took nearly another year before I mentioned it to another doctor and she was shocked as to why I wasn't told how serious it was.

People thought that what I was going through was because I was fat. But I was getting fat because I wasn't able to exercise for long enough. It's possibly also why I'm short.
Now I'm getting my quarter-yearly intramuscular injections I'm a lot better.

The only sport I ever really stuck to was swimming. Earned lots of certificates for it. In one year I'd gone up about 4 or 5 levels. But I developed a skin sensitivity to the chlorine and I had to give up one of the best things I ever worked hard at. I was able to beat all of the boys in my primary school class at it and everything.

Gym teachers for me were never gorillas. The first one I got looked like she'd jumped out of the 80s with the turquoise and purple jumpsuits and a greying short perm, the same one moved to my other school for a while before our regular teachers took over, then the ones I had in high school, one looked like a cross between Jamie Hyneman, Paul Teutul and Freddie Mercury and the other one looked like a mix between J-lo, Sandra Bullock and Penelope Cruz. For a short while in Primary school we also had a rugby coach teaching us and he looked a bit like David Boreanaz and Antony Costa.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Aurora Moon at 10:05AM, July 5, 2009
(offline)
Faliat
Personally I think that nowadays women are digging their own sexist graves. If they make ludicrous demands based on what they think is sexist or take advantage of such a situation men will start watching what they say and do around women and treat them differently in case they get offended.

Good thing I'm a mould breaker.

I agree. sometimes I feel sorry for those kind of women… they've became so brainwashed to think that all men are out to get them by the older generations who went though some difficult times.

Yes, sexist men still exist but that doesn't mean that every single men are sexist or are out to get you.

by starting to think like that and treating men like crap, you eventually find yourself being the sexist one as an woman.

it's the same thing with racism, really.

If I overheard something or were told something that sounded sexist to me I tend to try to get the other person to clarify what they meant by their statements/actions before I lose my cool over it.

Most of the time, it's usually just some misunderstanding to start with anyway.
isukun at 10:04PM, July 5, 2009
(online)
It's bad to hit ANYBODY, period.

Although a different argument, entirely, I have to say I completely disagree with this. I know from personal experience that some problems simply can't be solved without some show of physical force. I still wouldn't hit a woman, but that isn't because I think they deserve it less, it's because society places a stigma on men hitting women. I notice there is no such stigma against women hitting men (in fact, it is often applauded).

Have parents completely forgotten that there are many pedophiles out there who are equal offenders when it comes to both genders?

Boys have a tendency to be more intimidating. Rapists and molesters who target people they don't personally know have a tendency to target people who they perceive will pose a minimal risk. This means extremely young children and girls, for the most part. Once again, this is social stigma. In today's society, most of those boys are all talk.

The one that gets to me a bit, though, is the recent trend of barring males from child care. We've somehow elevated the stigma from all men are pigs to all men are pedophile child molestors.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Aurora Moon at 5:13PM, July 6, 2009
(offline)
show me any actual situations where people applaud women hitting men for no good reason at all? Because seriously I've never seen that happen.

Girls can be targeted more because of that viewpoint, yes. But that doesn't mean that boys are never kidnapped just because they stayed out late. In fact I can easily show you a VERY LONG list of missing teenage boys who were kidnapped by sickos, just because their parents thought they would be safer compared to teenage girls staying out late.

Just because one gender is targeted more over the other, doesn't mean that the other gender is safe completely.

wouldn't it be better to just say that you wouldn't rather take chances at all with your own children, period… regardless of their gender?

I agree with you on the childcare thing though. By focusing on men as the sole offenders, they're making it too easy for female pedophiles to get into that kind of business without any questions at all. “Oh, I'm a woman… so you don't have to worry about leaving me alone with your kids! Just trust me… I'll take REALLY GOOD care of your kids.. *snickers*”

talk about creepy.
DOUK at 9:42PM, July 6, 2009
(online)
Aurora Moon
show me any actual situations where people applaud women hitting men for no good reason at all? Because seriously I've never seen that happen.

Girls can be targeted more because of that viewpoint, yes. But that doesn't mean that boys are never kidnapped just because they stayed out late. In fact I can easily show you a VERY LONG list of missing teenage boys who were kidnapped by sickos, just because their parents thought they would be safer compared to teenage girls staying out late.

Just because one gender is targeted more over the other, doesn't mean that the other gender is safe completely.

wouldn't it be better to just say that you wouldn't rather take chances at all with your own children, period… regardless of their gender?

I agree with you on the childcare thing though. By focusing on men as the sole offenders, they're making it too easy for female pedophiles to get into that kind of business without any questions at all. “Oh, I'm a woman… so you don't have to worry about leaving me alone with your kids! Just trust me… I'll take REALLY GOOD care of your kids.. *snickers*”

talk about creepy.

I think its because of the mindset that if you're a teen kidnapped (and eventually raped) by your teacher, then the teacher had some sort of mental condition or other reason to do this against her apparent behavioral. “Oh its not her fault she's just _____”. Lots of guys think that a girl raping a man is non existent, and its called “a freebie”. But there are different kinds of rape.

It gets scary when the girl who kidnapped you is holding a broomstick D8
Aurora Moon at 8:17AM, July 7, 2009
(offline)
DOUK
I think its because of the mindset that if you're a teen kidnapped (and eventually raped) by your teacher, then the teacher had some sort of mental condition or other reason to do this against her apparent behavioral. “Oh its not her fault she's just _____”. Lots of guys think that a girl raping a man is non existent, and its called “a freebie”. But there are different kinds of rape.

It gets scary when the girl who kidnapped you is holding a broomstick D8

That's the thing though…. male pedophiles are known to have plenty of mental illness too. They were sexually abused as children half of the time too, etc….

So why should we excuse the female pedophiles for having the same exact of mental illnesses as the males, when we don't give the males any leeway for having dangerous mental illnesses?

I just don't get people's logic in that regards. =\ It's just better to lock up all of them and not try to justify/explain their behavior based on gender.

you're right though about the different kinds of rape. It's a pity that not many people are fully informed about that kind of thing.
Product Placement at 1:59PM, July 7, 2009
(online)
I remember a similar discussion few months ago. I mentioned something about the stereotypes that's managed to rub onto me as I grew up. One of the most prominent one is the notion that the average woman is physically weaker then males.

Going through physical ed, you'll notice that the teacher always go easier on the girls, especially during tests. I read that the reason it's easier for men to build up muscle is because of their high testosterone levels. Looking through world records in sports you'll almost always see that men do better.

I suppose the gym teacher in the rope story had only the interest of the girls in mind by giving them an easier rope but his method was wrong by forbidding them from trying the other one. But I bet he forbade the boys from climbing the girl rope as well. Or at least he probably told them that they wouldn't be graded on the attempt and that they were sissies for even considering it.

When it comes to stories and shows, I hate sexists themes. No matter which side is being bashed. Usually, whenever you see a show like that, men are placed as the villains and suffer a crushing defeat at the hands of the girls either through team effort or occasionally by a stroke of luck. Most often the men are portrayed as immature jerks who take it easy as the girls prepare for the upcoming conflict. It's just the dam tale of the Turtle and the Hare except someone said: “Do you know what would be a good idea? What if we took that classical tale and added SEXISM to it?”. I suppose it's a clever concept. But that doesn't make me like it.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
ozoneocean at 10:31PM, July 7, 2009
(online)
Bravo on your post! Especially about the tortoise and hare analogy. :)
Product Placement
Looking through world records in sports you'll almost always see that men do better.
I don't know if this is an good a guide as it seems. Over time these records change for both men and women. Looking at them you could say that the men are always better, but both men and women in the present are always better than men and women from the past.
But you could also say that women from the present are better than a significant number of the men from the past. So that would mean that the present women are always a certain number of years behind the men, rather than not being as good.

- Then there is the factor that the numbers in records get better slower: speed improvements decrease etc, there's not such a huge jump forward each time. SO do the female records slow down in improvement too much that they won't reach the values of the male ones in a reasonable amount of time? I don't know.

But the point is that the numbers don't necessarily show which sex is better (at those sports), only which sex is better at a certain point in time.

Product Placement at 1:47PM, July 8, 2009
(online)
Thank you for the compliment and you make a good point as well. Still, looking through world records did help solidify this stereotype into my mind.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:51PM
isukun at 7:57PM, July 8, 2009
(online)

That was never my argument. I never said anything about being applauded for hitting a guy for no reason. The double standard is that if a guy hits a girl, even if he has a good reason, it's considered bad. Women fighting back is encouraged, men fighting bad is discouraged.

But that doesn't mean that boys are never kidnapped just because they stayed out late.

And just because you weren't hit by a truck yesterday that doesn't mean it won't happen today. Does that mean you'll stay in your house from now on? Nothing is life is 100% safe, but the odds of a teenage boy getting carted away are still significantly less than a teenage girl. Adults can be kidnapped too, maybe they should stay locked up in their homes at all hours, as well. Hell, mandatory curfews for everyone.

In fact, just a quick look at the statistics seems to suggest that only a minority of kidnapping cases are perpetrated by strangers. Of those cases, 75% are kids under the age of 11, and of the rest the vast majority are female. As the numbers dwindle, it looks more like male teens are less likely to be kidnapped than an adult. After all, most kidnappings of male teens aren't done for sexual reasons, unlike more kidnappings of female teens. Male teens tend to get kidnapped more for money than anything else. If that's the incentive, you're better off mugging someone who looks like they have a job.

You seem to be heading in the opposite direction I would take, anyway. I tend to prefer to give kids some freedom rather than take it away equally.

But the point is that the numbers don't necessarily show which sex is better (at those sports), only which sex is better at a certain point in time.

I think that is kind of a weak argument. Men and women have gotten the same advantages and improvements over the years. As our understanding of diet, genetics, and the human body gets better, humanity evolves ever so slightly and improves. These changes do not occur exclusively to one gender or the other or even occur faster in one gender than the other. Both are getting the same benefits from the changes in our society at the same rate, which is why both have a tendnecy to continue improving over the years. Women have a tendncy to show slower growth in this regard simply because their potential is lower.

What people really should be asking in this day and age, though, is does this really matter? In a practical sense, it doesn't. Most jobs don't require physical strength, and those that do frequently have no need to discriminate. If they get more men in those jobs, it's because more men WANT those jobs. But with corporate America being far more office-oriented, physical strength doesn't really do you much good once you get out of school. People try to stay in shape, but how many actually feel the need to push their bodies to the limit? It's not like we need to hunt down a mammoth every time we get hungry, anymore. The only physical difference that really plays into modern society is the ability to bear a child, everything else is social.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved