Media Megaforum

Drag Me To Hell
SarahN at 10:58AM, May 8, 2009
(online)
Anyone seen the previews for this? And from what I've read it sounds like classic Sam Raimi Evil Dead/Army of Darkness type stuff. =D I don't mind the corny plot if the rest is fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/KRi1A7-4–M

I hear it's gory, but the PG-13 rating worries me (Why freakin' do that with a monster movie?! Come ON.)…and I hope Raimi hasn't grown abusive of cgi effects from working with Spider-Man.

I have a feeling this'll either be really good or really bad.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
Exzachly at 10:06PM, May 9, 2009
(online)
Definitely looking forward to this. It's too bad it'll be completely overlooked with all the huge movies coming out this summer.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
machinehead at 7:14PM, May 11, 2009
(online)
I can not wait for this one. I just hope after his huge Spiderman sucess, Sam Raimi can still go back and give us a good horror movie. The evil dead movies are classic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:49PM
BffSatan at 3:26AM, May 12, 2009
(online)
This trailer stopped being scary when I realised Mac Guy was in it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
ozoneocean at 6:44AM, May 12, 2009
(online)
Mac guy… I wonder if his pants actually fit this time. They never seem to in the ads. :)
————————
Honestly, I've had un-scary dreams that have been scarier than this looks.

I think you can do scary horror and all the rest at PG13 though. You don't need blood, guts, stabbing in the empty eye-sockets and boobs to make something scary. :)

But bugs in the mouth, false teeth and contact lenses have never been very convincing for scary effects. And curses… The trouble is that they're telling you too much of the scenario, and if they tell you that much in the preview, imagine how obvious it'll be in the actual film!
I think a fairly important part of making people scared is not really telling them why they should feel that way. The shadow of the monster was probably the scariest part of that clip.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
Hawk at 9:19AM, May 13, 2009
(online)
You know, I'd love for this to be a good scary movie, because I haven't seen a good scary movie in a LONG time. The fact that I might be able to see the Mac Guy die in a horrible manner just makes it all the more tempting…

…but it looks kind of lame. It feels like cheap scares and cliches. I hope I'm wrong, though. I love scary movies.

ozoneocean
I think you can do scary horror and all the rest at PG13 though. You don't need blood, guts, stabbing in the empty eye-sockets and boobs to make something scary. :)

I totally agree with that. The movies that scared me most were more psychological. And PG-13. See enough scary movies and you can tell when the writers are using blood and gore as a substitute for truly scary writing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Exzachly at 5:59AM, May 25, 2009
(online)
I've heard its more comedy than horror, like Evil Dead II. They've just been advertising it as a straight horror movie cause they don't know how else to advertise it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
mlai at 6:15AM, May 25, 2009
(online)
This trailer doesn't make this movie look bad, or “more comedy than horror.” I personally think it looks pretty good.

But no, it's not scary-looking. I think modern horror movies can be divided into 2 camps, excluding the slasher/psycho films:

(1) Good-yarn horror.
(2) Scary psychological horror.

This movie looks like #1.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
ozoneocean at 6:39AM, May 25, 2009
(online)
mlai
This movie looks like #1.
I dunno man… It seems to be basing itself off of those crude morality tales the Germans and Slavs loved so much: “you didn't do me a good turn so I'LL KILL YOU!! That'll learn ya to be nice to old ladies…”

Those sorts of tales only frighten kids, not adults because they're too illogical and simple. For us they're just dark faery stories… Which is fine and lovely, but not scary.

SarahN at 9:26AM, May 25, 2009
(online)
The first Evil Dead movies didn't have much of a plot either, and they were great. Some people read from a demonic book they shouldn't have and released a horde of demons that possess people and cause chaos. That's about it. XD

And in Drag Me To Hell's case it's just a girl pisses off some weird witch and gets cursed by her. So now some demon(s) are trying to take her to Hell.

Basically, I'm hoping it's all about the stuff in between.

And hey, apparently it just opened and it's still doing VERY well so far at rottentomatoes -
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/drag_me_to_hell/
That definitely shocked me. I don't always trust them, but about over half the time I end up agreeing with them. I hope this is one of those times. Even if it's half comedy, I'd LOVE a new great monster flick just as much as a great creepy, psychological horror (which I'm starting to think are extinct *sigh*).

Also, usually when the violence isn't held back by a rating for these kinds of horror movies…ehh, I think it just works better, which is why I complained about the PG-13 rating. But hey, if he made it work without excessive amounts of gore/violence then more power to him. XD
Product Placement at 11:01AM, May 25, 2009
(online)
SarahN

You have to be kidding me. 100% fresh?

You're telling me that there isn't a single rotten tomato reviewer out there who doesn't like this film? Well… so far it's only received 15 reviews but that's quite surprising.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
mlai at 5:18PM, May 25, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Those sorts of tales only frighten kids, not adults because they're too illogical and simple. For us they're just dark faery stories… Which is fine and lovely, but not scary.
Dark fairy tale is what I meant by “good-yarn horror.” Don't horror movies usually include some sort of twisted morality lesson?

“You're a sex-crazed HS cheerleader therefore you deserve to die.”
“You pick up a hitchhiker in the middle of the night therefore you deserve to die.”
“You check in at a seedy-looking hotel therefore you deserve to die.”
“You spend the night at a haunted house on a dare therefore you deserve to die.”
“You waste 10 minutes of your life watching a stupid video tape therefore you deserve to die.”

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Hawk at 5:40PM, May 25, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
SarahN

You have to be kidding me. 100% fresh?

You're telling me that there isn't a single rotten tomato reviewer out there who doesn't like this film? Well… so far it's only received 15 reviews but that's quite surprising.

Wolverine Origins was at 100% two weeks before its debut. When you see early reviews they're almost always good, because the creators have invited reviewers who are almost sure to like the movie. Give it another week and watch to see what the general reviewers think about it, because that's when you'll see the dissenters.
ParkerFarker at 6:11PM, May 27, 2009
(online)
I'm sorry but this looks like its gonna be a bad movie.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
Hawk at 11:13AM, May 28, 2009
(online)
You know, it's a day from opening and Rotten Tomatoes still has the movie pegged at 93%. Maybe it'll be good. I don't take Rotten Tomatoes numbers for rote, but they give a good general idea.
lefarce at 12:24PM, May 28, 2009
(offline)
I wanted to hate this so badly, but from what I hear and what I've seen it really is a return to form for Sam.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
json at 10:36PM, May 28, 2009
(online)
i love sam's work….for all of it's campy-ness. i want to go see this for just to look for the delta 88, the bruce and ted cameos, and whatever genre homages he adds in……

but PG-13?!?!?!? when i first heard that in the theater, i literally exclaimed, “what the f**k!?” granted he worked a lot on herc/xena and that was PG at worst, but i feel cheated without BUCKETS and BUCKETS of blood just pouring all over the place. i mean, “Army of Darkness” was rated R and i saw that film 14 times in the theater (it was only in my town at the theater for 2 weeks, and i saw it everyday it was showing and i was 16).

i don't understand why hollywood producers think they are going to sell more tickets to a movie based around a teenage protagonist if they dumb down the horror, scares, gore, tits, and violence. when i was a kid….we FOUND ways to see the freddy and friday 13th movies. we all saw robocop and die hards in the theater. we've all heard f bombs before in real life….so making a sanitary horror film devoid of the things that defined the genre just seems like sam has finally sold out. and that makes me sadder than trying to watch darkman.

R.I.P. sam raimi. you changed the face of horror cinematography, but sold your soul to hollywood. i'll hold my breath for an unrated director's cut of Drag Me To Hell with more blood and more violence…..but i think i'll pass out before you can redeem yourself from this.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
jalford at 2:38AM, May 29, 2009
(online)
The spankerchief from Hell! Raimi finally brought the “spookiness” back to movies. I really liked this. Best horror movie I've seen this decade!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
ozoneocean at 3:34AM, May 29, 2009
(online)
json
…i mean, “Army of Darkness” was rated R and i saw that film 14 times in the theater (it was only in my town at the theater for 2 weeks, and i saw it everyday it was showing and i was 16).
I can't remember when I saw Army of Darkness, but it certainly wasn't rated R here. I think ratings are quite different in Australia… It was M here, which meant that kids under 15 had to have someone older with them.

It didn't seem like such a violent or bloody film to me. I've seen it since, a couple of times, and it still doesn't. It was just a hilarious, cool movie :)

I still don't see a horror film as needing blood and guts. When I was a kid i was quite scared by The Omen and there's not much blood in that. heh, I was scared by the original episodes of doctor who and there NOTHING in that at all lol!

CharleyHorse at 6:16AM, May 29, 2009
(offline)
I dunno people. Paying good money just to get frightened? Couldn't you do that for free by playing chicken on the highway?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :spin:

From what I can tell from the trailers this movie couldn't frighten the average citizen even as much as the prospect of a tax audit. If you are going to spend as much as the average movie now costs for a good old fashioned fright night event then at some point you SHOULD be able to feel the hairs on the back of your neck lift. Perhaps these horror directors should be forced to spend time reviewing all of the classic Alfred Hitchcock movies and writings on the subject just to receive a fundamental grounding on the horror concept.

Anyway here's hoping that the movie itself turns out to be a hair raising horror fest.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
ParkerFarker at 11:33AM, May 30, 2009
(online)
I
I'm sorry but this looks like its gonna be a bad movie.

I take it back. I saw it with my friend yesterday and it was a pretty decent movie. I enjoyed it. I got pretty freaked out at times and often whispered to myself “shit shit shit shit shit fuck fuck shit shit shit” and at other times, it was pretty funny. The ads for this did it no justice, it was enjoyable.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
LIZARD_B1TE at 6:27PM, May 30, 2009
(online)
I'm thinking of going to see this after my exams this Tuesday. Would any of you recommend it? Or bad idea?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
ParkerFarker at 7:58PM, May 30, 2009
(online)
LIZARD_B1TE
I'm thinking of going to see this after my exams this Tuesday. Would any of you recommend it? Or bad idea?

yeah, I would recommend it. look at my post above yours

PIT_FACE at 6:46AM, May 31, 2009
(online)
REALLY REALLY wanna see this sonovabitch now! a good friend of mine who's always been pretty reliable with movie opinions and a fellow Evil Dead fanatic had nothing but good things to say about this and was suprised it actually slipped by with the pg-13 rating.

he said it's like Evil Dead 3 1/2,reffering to the content of the movie. which is EXECTLY what i need!DEAD BY DAWN! DEAD BY DAWN!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
SarahN at 2:27PM, May 31, 2009
(online)
I just got back from the movie, and I enjoyed it immensely. :) There IS a decent amount of cgi effects…but it is used in a clever, sometimes silly way that didn't really bother me too much this time around. And there is plenty of make-up and….puke to even things out. XD

Other than that I DO think the PG-13 rating held back the movie a tad. It was still gross and entertaining, but if Raimi didn't have to worry about limits it would've made the movie that much more perfect. I felt incomplete when it ended and wanted the insanity to continue! 8D I definitely hope they release a director's cut.

It is definitely for Evil Dead fans. The ads were very decieving, so don't go there expecting a deep, serious horror flick. XD
LIZARD_B1TE at 1:52PM, June 8, 2009
(online)
Damn. I just got back from the theater, and it was awesome. Any movie that features a goat cussing someone out is brilliant in my book.

My only qualm is that I saw the twist at the end coming a mile away– though I'm not sure if I should blame the movie for that, or the hours of my life that I have invested in TV Tropes.

Also, best line ever:

Lamia-possessed-Goat: “You triiicked me, yooou whoooooore. You biiiiiiiiitch!”
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved