Media Megaforum

Dragonball Evolution = i cant think my own OCs
herio at 2:42AM, April 9, 2009
(online)
you can give that old film leverage case it never calmed to be part of the hole story it was stand alone and in that why i commend it

look what i dug up

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
NickGuy at 1:03PM, April 11, 2009
(online)
I just want to add….since akira toriyama is the one who wrote this movie, does that make him have a “fall from grace” with the likes of loeb and miller? I mean, he signed off on this movie…he wrote it…the script is his. Has his talent diminished in your eyes, much in the way people have viewed other creators who have done stuff like this?

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
isukun at 12:56AM, April 12, 2009
(online)
No, he didn't. Akira Toriyama was originally signed on as a producer, but was paid off when he had too many objections to what was being done to his franchise. The only credit he'll be getting in the movie is for the original concept. The screenplay is written by Ben Ramsey (better known for, ummm, well, nothing, really), Akira Toriyama had nothing to do with it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 9:39PM, April 12, 2009
(online)
I saw this movie yesterday. (The theatre was empty, save a dad and two kids.)

I went in expecting terrible lols, but I was secretly hoping I could at least fangirl a LITTLE. I mean, back in sixth/seventh grade, when I was at the true height of my nerdiness, I just about lived in the DBZ/DB world (as well as Neo-Crystal Tokyo, and Viridian City. Just about anywhere but Connecticut…). Unfortunately, nothing but the names and the concept of seven dragonballs=1 wish. Sad.
I wanted to see some super-saiyan action! or SOMETHING. Isn't Goku a little kid in original DB, anyway? Whatever. I had rock-bottom standards, and even those weren't met.

It was kind of funny, in that breathless, “I just spent ten bucks on this” kinda way.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
timethief at 9:13AM, April 13, 2009
(offline)
Actually, the original script included at least one talking animal and much more of the craziness of the original Dragonball world. But they didn't have enough money, so they started cutting stuff until they ended up basically stuck with a franchise they knew they couldn't properly reflect.
Oh, and there are no Saiyans or Freezer or anything like that because this is supposed to be based on Dragonball, not Dragonball Z (which is a sequel). In Dragonball there are very few aliens save Piccolo, and Goku's real origin is still unknown.
the producers are hoping this movie gets them enough money to do a sequel with a fatter budget where they can actually do “the Dragonball movie we dream of”, but this one certainly isn't.
Typical example of too many people trying to jump on the same bandwagon, they chose a not-so well-known property, couldn't get enough money from the studio to do it properly, and ended up with something like, say, a Catwoman movie that takes her out of the context of the Batman mythos. That would suck, right?
Oh, my! They actually did one already!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
Kristen Gudsnuk at 12:04AM, April 14, 2009
(online)
timethief
Oh, and there are no Saiyans or Freezer or anything like that because this is supposed to be based on Dragonball, not Dragonball Z (which is a sequel). In Dragonball there are very few aliens save Piccolo, and Goku's real origin is still unknown.
I could've sworn he has a little monkey tail, and turns into a big monkey during full moons… plus he was DEFinitely a little kid.

the producers are hoping this movie gets them enough money to do a sequel with a fatter budget where they can actually do “the Dragonball movie we dream of”, but this one certainly isn't.
I agree. they should have more pride in their work. Low budget doesn't have to mean bad acting. If you look at some of the most popular low-budget sleeper hits, they don't waste all their money on a horrible CGI monkey, they use cinematic techniques to hide their poverty. For instance, to paraphrase an article about low budget horror films: the move SAW (I never “saw” it.. lol pun) takes place all in one place, in some sort of basement or something? and the struggle is psychological, not dependent on super-duper special effects. The same with the Blair Witch Project.
They could have gotten a no-name to play Bulma, rather than frickin' Emmy Rossum, who couldn't deliver a line if her life depended on it. That would've saved some money. (the same for every other major character.)
And the writing– they could have splurged on getting an actual writer to work on the script.
Etc, etc.
The Host, which doesn't have very good CGI for the monster, is still one of my favorite movies, just because the rest of the movie is so good.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
timethief at 7:54AM, April 14, 2009
(offline)
Does anybody remember the Masters of the Universe movie? It sucked, right?
Well, it breaks down like this: they didn't have enough money to build a full Eternia set, so they set more than half the movie on Earth. And what they really wanted to do was a New Gods movie, so they just took a script they had written for a New Gods flick, changed the names and some scenes and voila, a He-Man movie. That's why there are Boom Tubes in the He-Man movie.

My point here is that they should have waited until they got enough money to do the movie the way they wanted, instead of doing a half-assed interpretation and announcing a future movie that will be done right. A studio can do a pretty good movie on a shoestring budget (The Full Monty, anyone?) but for something like Dragonball it just doesn't work. Doing it wrong the first time kills the possibility of doing it right on a sequel.

And, while I agree that the movie Goku is very young, that's nowhere near as the anime, where he is almost a toddler. And he did turn into a giant monkey as early as the original Dragonball, only no one knew why and the Saiyan connection wasn't revealed until DBZ.
Hawk at 9:50AM, April 14, 2009
(online)
Wow, that's interesting information on the He-Man movie. I haven't seen that since I was a kid, but even then I knew something wasn't right.

In case nobody heard, Dragonball Evolution pretty much flopped. It didn't even make 5 million on its opening week. Looks like a lot of mistakes were made for this movie.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
isukun at 6:40PM, April 14, 2009
(online)
The biggest being that they pissed off the fairly large existing fan base the series has. Something like Dragonball isn't as likely to pull in a lot of newcomers because of the name recognition. Too many people already know what it is and either love it or hate it. Those that love it want a faithful interpretation and those that hate it expect any interpretation to be just as bad, if not worse, than the original. Maybe if they had waited 20 years since the series went off the air in this country, like with the Transformers movie, before making an adaptation, it could have attracted a new crowd. As it is, the franchise is too fresh in people's minds. There isn't a new generation to draw in.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
NickGuy at 2:13PM, April 15, 2009
(online)
im sure ill get flamed for this, but heres my take on the dragonball movie after watching it…

it had potential. but here are the things that ruined it for me..

- Goku opens chi chis locker for her using chi *or they call it ki in this movie, which ive always hated). He walks away, and she goes you opened my locker using your ki. goku goes you know about ki? and chi chi goes yeah…just because my names chi chi doesnt make me a total idiot.

lame joke aside, they then cut to another scene….what? You just had a chance to explain chi and what this whole thing is primarily based on, and you waste it. It couldve taken a couple seconds to explain it or whatever. i wouldnt have known what they were talking about if not for being a dragonball fan.

- The bullies apparently know kung fu, AND are willing to gang beat up goku at the party? wtf? high school is NOT this bad, kids may be cruel to each other but shit like that doesnt happen. that was the most unbelievable part to me, when they surround him and are going to beat the crap out of him just for trying to come to a party. and also their “leader” grabbing some sort of pipe to smash goku with? again, unbelievable to me.

-Master Roshi talking about airbending. wtf, is this even the right show im watching?

-Piccolo knowing so much about goku. piccolo was just handled very poorly in this movie.

“Kung Fu Komix IS…hardcore martial art action all the way. 8/10” -Harkovast
“Kung Fu Komix is that rare comic that is made with heart and love of the medium, and it delivers” -Zenstrive
“Kung Fu Komix is…so awesome” -threeeyeswurm
“Kung Fu Komix is..told with all the stupid exuberance of the genre it parodies” -The Real Macabre
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:15PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 2:21PM, April 15, 2009
(online)
Me and some friends are going to go MST this movie tomorrow. Then, perhaps we shall prepare a review of it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
Warpedwenger at 2:59PM, April 21, 2009
(online)
We all just set by as our beloved friend was raped right before our eyes and we did nothing!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:47PM
Puff_Of_Smoke at 12:34PM, April 22, 2009
(offline)
Oh. My. GOSH.

That sucked.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
PIT_FACE at 2:52PM, April 22, 2009
(online)
herio
you can give that old film leverage case it never calmed to be part of the hole story it was stand alone and in that why i commend it

look what i dug up

just watched all 9 parts man. had some differences from the original Dragon Ball, but just as quirky which is part of why i loved it so much in the first place.haha, so, so weird.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
jalford at 2:13AM, April 28, 2009
(online)
Be sure to check out…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
timethief at 12:48PM, April 30, 2009
(offline)
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Yeah, that's what they would do. I would say, however, American anime movies should never be made, at all. Leave them to the Japanese.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved