Media Megaforum

Dragonball movie
SarahN at 5:20PM, Jan. 25, 2008
(online)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1098327/

It doesn't matter if you love, don't care about, or hate Dragonball. In the end, this is just really sad.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
Wills42 at 5:27PM, Jan. 25, 2008
(online)
I won't see it.
A: Dragon Ball (Not Z, or GT) is like, from 20 years ago.
B: They don't have Samuel Jackson playing as Piccalo.
C: It isn't new (They are just making a live action movie on a few episodes.
D: The guy that is playing as Goku has said “I hope I can do a good Goku”.
No.. You must KNOW that you can do a good Goku…

No…
Nooooo….
Noo..
(Maybe…)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
7384395948urhfdjfrueruieieueue at 5:37PM, Jan. 25, 2008
(offline)
Wills42

Do either of those really have to do with anything?
i will also like to know you the more
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:06AM
Custard Trout at 5:50PM, Jan. 25, 2008
(offline)
I won't see it because this is the stupidest goddamn thing I've ever heard in my entire live. As if Dragonbollocks (oh I am witty) wasn't shite enough already.
Hey buddy, you should be a Russian Cosmonaut, and here's why.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:00PM
Chernobog at 6:57PM, Jan. 25, 2008
(offline)
No Oolong? Heresy.
/pass

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
isukun at 7:08PM, Jan. 25, 2008
(online)
The cast doesn't make any sense. Lets' make everyone asian except for the three major characters, one of which was originally Japanese and another of which is based on a legendary Chinese character. I also wouldn't be surprised if this film is just there to act as a springboard into two more movies based entirely on Dragonball Z. From the looks of things, they may be more interested in making an action film than sticking with the elements that made Dragonball more enjoyable than DBZ.

Then again, it's based on an anime. Was anyone really expecting this movie to be good?
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Ziffy88 at 8:16PM, Jan. 25, 2008
(offline)
really I think this would be awesome…..ly horrible.

Can't people accept that certain things work for their own media. The Watchmen is a great Comic book. DBZ works as an anime or manga. Avatar works as a TV animated show. Underdog belongs in 6 minutes cartoons. Mr. Bean does not need a feature film…
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
jalford at 2:25AM, Jan. 26, 2008
(online)
You think that's bad, these are from the original HK Dragonball live-action movie:
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
mechanical_lullaby at 5:14AM, Jan. 26, 2008
(online)
Please let them have the sense to NOT do it live action.
Please.

Also that kid from War of the Worlds? What?
I mean, I LOVE Dragonball. Akira Toriyama is my only favorite manga artist, but please let them have the sense to NOT do it live action.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:57PM
Inkmonkey at 7:43AM, Jan. 26, 2008
(offline)
I'm not going to say this is good or bad yet, since I'm not jaded enough to think that something like this can't be done. But I will say that what little I've seen of this seems to show to me that, if nothing else, this is looking better than what I first expected when I heard about it. Not that I've seen enough to give any kind of real critique, I'm just saying that it's a little childish to call it horrible already without at least seeing a trailer.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
isukun at 8:25AM, Jan. 26, 2008
(online)
Well let's see. The movie is supposedly hitting theaters this Summer, yet not even a teaser has been released to the public (generally big SFX/action films get the hype machine rolling at least during the holiday season before the release). The director and writer is responsible for such classics as Final Destination and the One. It looks like half the cast doesn't even speak fluent English and the other half seems totally inappropriate for the parts they play. Stephen Chow turned down the opportunity to direct the film (and I don't buy the whole “I won't direct films I didn't write” BS, he's done it before). They are adding in characters who were never in the original and dropping any and all animal characters. Most of the film is being filmed in Mexico and apparently the setting may be changed somewhat to reflect that. Characters will be made up to look like the anime characters, complete with stupid hair styles and colored wigs. The only good things I've heard in relation to the film are that 87Eleven and Ariel Shaw are involved, so at least we might get decent stunt work and visual effects.

Considering everything working against the movie, I don't think it's childish at all to go in with low expectations.
Ziffy88 at 9:15AM, Jan. 26, 2008
(offline)
really low expectations I'm not even a fan but this sounds like a really bad idea. Also I liked the first Final Destination. It was stupid but it had it's moments
Wills42 at 9:40AM, Jan. 26, 2008
(online)
Atom Apple
Wills42

Do either of those really have to do with anything?

No, but it was a debate my friends and I had about who should play as whom.
Samuel Jackson as Piccalo. Makes perfect sense to me.

I used to be a fan, but if this is bad, I will no longer take the movie industry seriously (Thank goodness for Video Games)
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
SarahN at 9:50AM, Jan. 26, 2008
(online)
Wills42
Samuel Jackson is about equally as stupid an idea, if not moreso, as James Marsters is.
“I'm tired of these motherfucking monkey men on this motherfucking planet!”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
Warpedwenger at 9:58AM, Jan. 26, 2008
(online)
Issukun I have to say that if Stephen Chow had directed this I would so be there! Dragonball is extremely loosely based on Journey to the West but still he already made a movie about that. So for one thing Id say he wouldnt want to do it again.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:46PM
Merrywhite Jenkins at 10:37AM, Jan. 26, 2008
(offline)
SarahN
Wills42
Samuel Jackson is about equally as stupid an idea, if not moreso, as James Marsters is.
“I'm tired of these motherfucking monkey men on this motherfucking planet!”
You can't tell me that you wouldn't watch it if it had that line in it. ;D
deviantArt. Osu!
K.A.L.A.-dan! Mascot! OSU!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM
lastcall at 11:08AM, Jan. 26, 2008
(offline)
I can't believe they got Chow Yun-Fat to do a voice for this piece of crap….

(does a double-take)

….wait, his name is Yun Fat Chow???

….Fat Chow? FAT CHOW????

HAH!!! That's hi-larious!!! lol!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
mlai at 2:18PM, Jan. 26, 2008
(online)
No, actually his name is Zhōu Rùnfā. Which sounds like Tzo-Ren-Fah.

I don't know what the heck “Chow Yun-Fat” is supposed to be. I guess it's Cantonese poorly translated into English. It's the Chinese ppl's bad luck that they're characterized around the world by (1)the Cantonese dialect and (2)the Xing Dynasty's ridiculously ugly hair/dress code. Neither of which represent the Chinese as a whole or as a majority.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
Ziffy88 at 2:36PM, Jan. 26, 2008
(offline)
Does anyone know of a movie where there is a scene of these guys getting chased by henchmen and the guys picked up some dbz comics and the scene turns to them dressed up as dbz characters and they beat up the bad guys i think it was a steven chow movie but i'm not sure
Eunice P at 5:59PM, Jan. 26, 2008
(offline)
isukun
Stephen Chow turned down the opportunity to direct the film (and I don't buy the whole “I won't direct films I didn't write” BS, he's done it before).

When did he turn down? I thought he actually accepted directing this movie because he considered DB as the type of comedy that he is free to express.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
SpANG at 7:31PM, Jan. 26, 2008
(online)
It's no JOUST movie, I'll tell ya that.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM
isukun at 8:24PM, Jan. 26, 2008
(online)
When did he turn down? I thought he actually accepted directing this movie because he considered DB as the type of comedy that he is free to express.

When it was offered to him. He said it should be directed by James Wong since Wong wrote the screenplay. Basically, Chow came up with a BS lame excuse that he only directs films he writes, which isn't true. I get the feeling he probably made that statement because he didn't like the script that Wong produced and would only agree to direct if he could write the script himself.
Ziffy88 at 8:49PM, Jan. 26, 2008
(offline)
Really out of all the directors in all the nations of the world only Stephen Chow could possibly make a good live action movie of DB
Lokidoll at 12:25AM, Jan. 27, 2008
(offline)
XD; I'm scared but I'll still give it a chance before I give it shit…..
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
Eunice P at 1:54AM, Jan. 28, 2008
(offline)
isukun

When it was offered to him. He said it should be directed by James Wong since Wong wrote the screenplay. Basically, Chow came up with a BS lame excuse that he only directs films he writes, which isn't true. I get the feeling he probably made that statement because he didn't like the script that Wong produced and would only agree to direct if he could write the script himself.

Aw… that's too bad.

Well, I searched from the website and found some interesting facts about the characters in the movie. Seems like the major characters have deviated a lot from the original.

18 years old, Goku is considered uncool and unpopular at school, but he is in fact an extremely talented martial arts fighter who gets rigorous training from his grandfather, Gohan. After the death of his grandfather by the evil Lord Piccolo, Goku finds his destiny in his grandfather's dying request that he find Master Roshi and gather all seven Dragon Balls (of which he has one) in order to prevent Piccolo from succeeding in his desire to use the dragonballs to take over the world. Trained by Master Roshi, aided by Bulma and Yamcha, friends he meets along the way, Goku proves himself a formidable, almost undefeatable fighter. On many dangerous adventures to find the remaining Dragon Balls and thus save the world, Goku conquers physical and emotional challenges, ultimately saving the world but clearly impelled to spend his life searching for the Dragon Balls with his trusty companions…LEAD

20s, female, pretty, with great intelligence behind her gleaming eyes, Bulma is a determined, competitive young woman whose father's five star Dragon Ball was stolen by Lord Piccolo, and who believes that she can harness their unlimited energy and change the world like Edison or Einstein. Bulma, who has a DBE (a Dragon Ball locator device), teams up with Goku, and with him meets up with Master Roshi and Yamcha as they attempt to collect the missing Dragon Balls before Piccolo can destroy the world. A resourceful and courageous young woman who's also a weapons expert, she overcomes many obstacles with her colleagues, only to find the seven Dragon Balls ultimately snatched from their grasp–but it's clear she's going to continue searching for them with Goku and Yamcha…LEAD

20s, “the bad boy who has no trouble attracting women,” he taunts Goku, Bulma and Master Yoshi, who are trapped in a sand cave, rather than helping them with his rope ladder. However, after overhearing Master Roshi's tale of Piccolo once nearly destroyed the Earth and are preparing to do so again, Yamcha has a change of heart and not only helps the three in the desert, but becomes a valuable part of the team. An ingenious young man whose utililty truck is the Swiss Army Knife of trucks–every tool and gear imaginable sprouts from its body–Yamcha joins Goku, Bulma (with whom he becomes romantically involved) and Master Yoshi on their quest to find the seven Dragon Balls before Piccolo…LEAD

This older man is a good friend of Goku's grandfather, Gohan, and Goku comes to enlist his help after his grandfather is killed. Although he looks like a beggar, Roshi is one of the world’s most fearsome fighters. Master Roshi begins Goku's rigorous training to prepare him for the adventure of finding and fighting for the seven Dragon Balls to save the world from Piccolo's destructive plan. A wise, somewhat wry man who knows as much about human nature as he does about martial arts, Master Roshi is impressed with Goku's fighting but reminds him of his failings as well. Ultimately, Master Roshi sacrifices his own life in order to destroy Piccolo…LEAD

Late 20s, female, her features exotic, sexy but deadly, dressed in gleaming black, with weapons strapped all over her body, she's a martial arts expert and Lord Piccolo's chief enforcer. Crafty and quick thinking, Mai uses her ability to shapeshift near the climax of the movie and takes on the form of Chi Chi, a young martial arts expert who's romantically involved with Goku and later saves Piccolo from Master Roshi's curse; once she is revealed she ends up in the fight of her life.

An ancient being who despite his humanoid appearance, is from an alien race determined to take over the world. Piccolo is the cursed ruler of a demonic race who nearly destroyed Earth 2000 years ago, and with the coming of the eclipse and the possession of all seven Dragon Balls, he's prepared to free himself and do the job right this time. Crafty and smart, Piccolo has some disturbing news for Goku, namely that the boy is actually a Saiyan who's destined to join Piccolo as his right hand in destroying and enslaving the planet…LEAD

Goku’s lifelong love interest, Chi Chi is an attractive, tom boy-ish young woman who has grown up with Goku. She has studied martial arts and has always suspected that Goku possesses talents that are unusual and extraordinary. After Goku embarks on his journey to redeem his grandfather’s death, Chi Chi meets up with Goku and his crew at a tournament of champions where their mutual attraction finally heats up during a training session.

Goku's kindly, wise grandfather, he looks like he's in his 70s but moves like Jet Li. An accomplished martial artist who trains Goku on the bow staff, he loves his grandson and is happy to prepare a special feast for him on his 18th birthday, as well as a special gift: a 3 star Dragon Ball. Tragically, Gohan is struck down by the high ninjas of the Namek-Jins, and as he dies he sends his grandson out to do face his destiny and do battle against them…

And this picture made me chuckle.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
ozoneocean at 4:24AM, Jan. 28, 2008
(online)
A dorky highschool boy that saves the world? Awww… I liked him as the little monekyboy with amazing strength who knew nothing about the world. :(
And Bulma is meant to be the pantishot queen… :(

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
Inkmonkey at 4:51AM, Jan. 28, 2008
(offline)
There's two changes in there that have me worried: Goku is a regular High Schooler, and Piccolo apparently looks human. The rest of the changes seem to exist simply to streamline the story, but I'm not sure why anyone would decide that Goku needs to be a more or less normal person. It's his naivety that makes him an interesting character, and it was easy to justify when he lived alone in the woods with his grandfather.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
kingofsnake at 7:44AM, Jan. 28, 2008
(online)
Steven Chow is producing

I don't paticularily care about Dragonball, but I DO like Steven Chow.

My position on this film is thus: If it sucks, I don't care, because I'm not a huge Dragonball fan. If its awesome, thats because of Steven Chow being awesome, and hooray. And if it's mediocre (most likely scenario) then I'll enjoy it because I like dragonball, but I don't like it so much that I need the movie to appeal to me on a fan-boy level.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
ozoneocean at 8:19AM, Jan. 28, 2008
(online)
I'd only see it if it was true to the real story. Not because I'm a fanboy (Z and the rest are STUPID, and I really haven't seen enough of the original, never read the manga…), but because the original story actually appealed to me.

Eh, the fish out of water thing can be pretty good, even better when tied with liberal doses of pervy humour, funky mecha devices, and magic.

The story as it's described here is… well, same old same old kids action movie that we've all seen a gazillion times. you could force ANY anime/manga/comic/story franchise into that form: Sausage making. blarg, another pointless money making franchise milking exercise.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
Cthulhu at 5:07PM, Jan. 28, 2008
(online)
Eunice P
I think I remember that from the old DBZ game commercials for the Game Boy.

If it's from the movie, then God save us all.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:58AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved