Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Drawing Ears
SarahN at 4:07PM, Jan. 28, 2008
(online)
Seriously, how do you draw ears? I mean the inside of them mainly. I have been drawing them in whatever way for years and have tried to emulate other styles for them, but they never come out looking quite right with me. As someone once said, they look more like tortellini.

If one of you could show a little step-by-step of how you draw your ears, I'd doubly appreciate it. It doesn't have to be the extremely realistic kind, but I want them to look like ears. XP
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:23PM
Blackmoon at 8:52AM, Jan. 29, 2008
(online)
Uh… well, I draw them in a semi-Jhonen Vasquez style, out of flair and laziness.
My method is usually:
1) Draw an ear shape (usually it just looks like a stylized number 3)
2) Draw an upside-down L, with the corner pointing towards to upper outside edge of the ear and the vertical line somewhere in the middle
3) Add a little inward-curving arc between the ends of the L and fill it in.

Possibly one of the least realistic ears you can make, heh.
If you wanna be ACCURATE about it (pffffft), you can use either of this tutorials:
http://www.drawingcoach.com/drawing-realistic-ears.html

Hope it helps!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:23AM
albone at 12:04PM, Jan. 29, 2008
(online)
The drawingcoach link is pretty good, but I don't think you need a step by step. Just get some reference or someone to stand still and draw what you see.
You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
Eunice P at 4:51PM, Jan. 29, 2008
(offline)
Actually, different people have different shapes of ears. No one's ear is identical to one another. If you want a simple ear, here's some I found online: http://www.mangarevolution.com/tutorial_display.php?tutorial_id=25
http://www.lostonwallace.com/ear.jpg

Just think of the shape of “y” for the inside and you can twist and turn the shape in anyway you like.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
kingofsnake at 1:38PM, Jan. 30, 2008
(online)
When you're stuck drawing ANYTHING, you can do what I do. Find another artist who draws things in a way that you would like your art to look, and then flat out copy it.

My drawings are usually an amalgamation of other more talented artists
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Lokidoll at 10:53PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(offline)
It really depends on your style….Sometimes the ears can look too detailed and other times not detailed enough. The way one person draws ears may be different then the ears that work for your style. I would look at some of your favorite artists for inspiration and try copying to get it down and work on making the ear “yours” after that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
usedbooks at 11:16PM, Feb. 9, 2008
(online)
What helps me “develop” my own way to draw anything is start by drawing a few really detailed sketches from photos or life to get a feel for all of the details (especially things like ears, which have a lot of folds and details). Then try to draw a couple from memory without any references. The folds and details that are most significant will be the ones you draw from memory. That will help you simplify things in a way that feels most natural. (You can simplify things further from there.)

Also, as others have said, look at how other people do them, which details they include and which they omit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:37PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved