Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Drawing Help
Zoom the Hedgehog at 10:47PM, Aug. 22, 2008
(online)
I like drawing and I'm always trying to make comics and stuff. But I can't seem to develop a drawing style except one where every ones head is a circle and have no necks. Can someone help?
nou
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
Tashna at 1:21AM, Aug. 23, 2008
(online)
Study anatomy and practice. It often takes years for an artist to develop their style. Tutorials on drawing or drawing classes might also give you a good start.

It's lovely to see youfall off the stairs, breaking your skull in two.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:07PM
Zoom the Hedgehog at 4:39PM, Aug. 23, 2008
(online)
Years? Perhaps I'll stick with my current style.
nou
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
Tashna at 4:53PM, Aug. 23, 2008
(online)
Well, then you're wasting your chance to improve yourself. Just try improving yourself through tutorials and figure studying (lol, I'm learning to draw army boots atm xD), even if it's just for a month or so. If you think all the work sucks and don't feel like continuing, you can always quit, but, if you see your improvements and want to become even better, it will be the main element of becoming a good artist. Motivation is the key to success, not talent or magic tricks.

It's lovely to see youfall off the stairs, breaking your skull in two.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:07PM
BlkKnight at 10:06PM, Aug. 23, 2008
(online)
Tashna is entirely correct on this one. It's an impossibility to magically become better at drawing something without any form of practice, and drawing does indeed take years to improve. You need to look at anatomy, practice, look at more drawing theory, practice more, and so on. It took about six years for anything under my traditional art style (as opposed to the more simplistic style used in my comic) to look truly presentable.
That's “Dr. BlkKnight” to all of you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
Evil_Snuffkin at 7:18AM, Aug. 24, 2008
(online)
It might also help finding an artist you really like and using their work to improve on your own. Think about the things you enjoy most when reading other comics. Collect a few reference pictures that you think would be relevent to your work. Everyone starts out with only a basic understanding of how to draw so don't let it dishearten you if you're not exactly making Da Vinci pieces at the moment.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:24PM
Crimsonskystudio at 10:15AM, Aug. 25, 2008
(offline)
Its difficult to find your own style straight away.
The best option would be to keep practicing, draw from
life study, and learn about what you are intending to draw

Other than that I think a lot has already been said
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:49AM
demontales at 8:08AM, Aug. 15, 2009
(online)
Sketch sketch sketch sketch!
Try to free your mind and just sketch, you might end up with tons of different looking drawings, but you'll see what comes often, what you like and what you don't.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
Hunchdebunch at 3:55AM, Aug. 16, 2009
(online)
Maybe you could try copying some pictures (of people, animals, etc) and exagerate certain parts of them, like their ears, or noses, or maybe hands and feet, just try different things each time until you find something you like.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 11:01AM, Aug. 16, 2009
(online)
There's quite a few ways you go start out.

1.) Study anatomy. Posemaniacs is a great website for that. Or you could just google search how to draw anatomy or whatever. Depending on what style your going for, I would check out, “How to Draw comics: The marvel way” and practice from there. It's got quite a few helpful tips that I'm learning from. And just from a day of sketching, I've already improved.

2.) Study Perspective. Again, two ways to do this. deviantArt has quite a few useful tutorial on that. Or, the How to Draw Comics: The Marvel Way has that in there too.

3.) Details. Work on getting details right, like, folds in clothes, more detailed backgrounds, all taht.

4.) Work on getting your style. This one takes the longest. When you first begin, have something in mind for what you're trying to achieve, and just keep on going forward.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM
Hyena H_ll at 11:51AM, Aug. 16, 2009
(online)
As far as “style”, it's somethin' that has to happen organically. You just have to draw, draw, draw and it'll come out with practice- the way you “naturally” want to draw.

You can copy, of course- eventually you'll start puttin' your own ideas and stylistic idiosyncrasies in whatever you draw. But this might take longer, and prevent you from developing your own unique, inimitable style.

As far as drawing people- here's somethin' I posted in another thread. The OP was inquirin' on how to draw people that didn't look like squat little South Park guys, basically. May or may not be helpful to ya:

Hyena Hell's “How to Draw People Without Knowing How to Draw People” tutorial:

1. Character design:
Start with basic shapes- circles, ovals, squares and rectangles. Think of a mannequin. Block in the head, rib cage, pelvis (or do the torso as one unit); then arms and legs. Some of the best-designed characters can be drawn with a few simple shapes. If you want to work in a style with an abstracted figure (not realistically/naturally proportioned), you might want to exaggerate some masses and downplay others. Play with proportion- lengthen or shorten the torso, make the head twice the size of the body, reduce the limbs to stubs- just draw until you get something that looks good and can be easily drawn over and over. Don't do nuts with clothes/ costumes. The more accouterments your character has, the harder it will be to draw in various poses. Clothing should be simple shapes or conform to the shape of the figure. Anything you add- like wings, horns, whatever- needs to be very simple as well.

2. Set limitations on your characters “range of motion”:
You mentioned South Park- okay, think of the kids- because they're so squat in their proportions, they don't bend at the waist, or at the elbows or knees. Action figures are a good point of reference here, too- for example, G.I. Joe has 9 points of mobility; Barbie has 5; then there's those old WWF bendy dolls that have completely unrealistic mobility- their arms and legs bend into arcs, with no fixed “joints”. The more you limit the points at which your figure can move, the simpler it will be to draw. You might decide that your character can only move his arms and legs at the shoulder and hip sockets, etc.

3. Look at other artists' work:
Look at cartoonists and comic artists that use simple or abstracted figures. I'm not saying you ought to rip anyone off, but studying and deconstructing how other artists work can help you. Try to draw their characters with as few shapes as possible. Study how they make their characters move, show emotion, etc. Once you start picking up on the “tools” these artist are using to get their point across, you can use them yourself to create your own, original work.

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:52PM
Eddie Jensen at 6:06AM, Aug. 22, 2009
(online)
its untrue that theres not a magic fix to become a great artist, trace art. Do it, the art community will hate you but your friends will think you're awesome.
if I was a teapot I think I'd be orange.

http://t-k-.deviantart.com/
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:18PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved