Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Drawing out Dreams
Soryko at 12:17PM, Nov. 3, 2009
(online)
O3o
Hey Gaiz.
So, I was wondering how..in your comic…one would make it look like a dream. ~w~
For example, for flashbacks I've been making the panel edges super dark and large.
Is their some commonly accepted way of doing dream sequences? xD
Remember that you are unique! Just like everyone else! ^w^
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:50PM
ozoneocean at 12:00AM, Nov. 4, 2009
(online)
I dunno.
The thing you're doing with the flashbacks sounds good- making things look different from the rest of the story in some way.. For a dream maybe you could use bright colours, or faded colours or make everything but the main action look just a little blurry?

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
BffSatan at 3:50AM, Nov. 4, 2009
(online)
SEPIA TONE!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:21AM
Hunchdebunch at 6:48AM, Nov. 4, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
I dunno.
The thing you're doing with the flashbacks sounds good- making things look different from the rest of the story in some way.. For a dream maybe you could use bright colours, or faded colours or make everything but the main action look just a little blurry?

I like this idea, I may have to use it one day, when I make a dream sequence :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
Soryko at 10:18AM, Nov. 4, 2009
(online)
Hmm alright. owo
I might go with the sepia tone thing. xD
I dunno though.
Thanks guys. =]
ThePriestess at 11:30PM, Nov. 5, 2009
(offline)
Perhaps show some of the strange things that can happen in dreams, like people floating, feet not touching the ground, strange things in the background, anachronistic technology, or any kind of crazy stuff like that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
Aurora Borealis at 5:16AM, Nov. 6, 2009
(online)
brainstorming here… you could draw things slightly differently, if for example normal pages are inked, do these in pencils only or obscure details. Dream visions usually are somewhat incomplete, often with surroundings changing rapidly.

You could try no panel borders and just have panels/characters overlapping BUT that requires a lot of attention to what you put where (and leadingthe eye with word balloons) otherwise you risk confusing the reader.

Another thing could more sketchy,unfinished artwork (kind of like the pencil idea) maybe with parts of panels or coloring missing. Or just different coloring, bizarre unnatural selections… although that one might be misunderstood as a drug trip sequence I guess.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Soryko at 11:03PM, Nov. 6, 2009
(online)
Cool ideas. =D
I like the making things sketchy one…
I might try that too. xD
kyupol at 6:55PM, Nov. 18, 2009
(online)
gaussian blur and sepia tone like what others have mentioned.

Notice how this page looks more “fuzzy”

than this one here:

Or you can use smudge stick:
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
mamaya94 at 4:57AM, Nov. 22, 2009
(online)
In Pink Lady,All the Dream And thinking have black background.
In normal situation,it's white
Main Comic

Finished one
Hanged Doll:Where does your memory begin???
http://www.drunkduck.com/hanged_doll/

Resting one
30 years:30 years of pain and suffering…Time for payback
http://www.drunkduck.com/30_Years/
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
benjin at 7:19AM, Nov. 23, 2009
(online)
I'd make dream or flashback scenes unreal mainly by changing colors.
For example making the sky yellow and the sun blue.
If I have a black/white comic, I'll switch to blue/white or something like that. In a detailed 3D Comic I would additionally play around with object sizes. Sizing by importance. Important or dangerous things go bigger, unimportant or fierce go smaller (the boy with the gun is small, but the gun is BIG) For this I maybe would change the drawing style from realistic to cartoon or use a fisheye lense rendering…

You can do anything subtile or bold. You could even start a dream scene like any other scene so that nobody notices and end it with a waking up character in his bed. You can declare a precognition scene by just continuing with the last ‘real’ image before the precognition.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
Metruis at 12:05AM, Nov. 25, 2009
(online)
Oh, there are a lot of options for flashbacks and dream sequences. And since my comic relies heavily on (spoiler warning) almost everything being dream sequences, let me tell you, I have a lot of ways of handling this. So I made a mini tutorial because I like visuals.

Woo hoo. Yeah, there's no commonly accepted way of doing dream sequences, it all depends on the feel you want for the dream. Changing over to having no backgrounds, but just white or black space, is a common one. I like glowing panel borders instead of hard lines, myself, and making jagged panels overlaying each other. Feathers, bubbles, and clouds are really good, so is blur. Killing borders or changing the colors of borders, bubbles, tags, and lines is always a good, but subtle way of handling it. If I want something subtle, I often go with the ‘zoom into the eye’ method, or have the character wake up at the end.

Sepia tone is sort of a given for flashbacks so I'd avoid it for dream sequences and go with blue if you wanted a more monotone feel. Desaturating or heavily saturating things often works well.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:59PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved