Drunk Duck Awards

Drunk duck awards.
marine at 1:52AM, June 18, 2006
(offline)
Newcomer goes to whatever manga or sprite comic guy or girl that Spang and Skoo like.

I'd go for Robot Chuck on that one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
skoolmunkee at 8:06AM, June 18, 2006
(online)
marine
Newcomer goes to whatever manga or sprite comic guy or girl that Spang and Skoo like.

So like, no one then.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:38PM
SpANG at 8:11AM, June 18, 2006
(online)
Robot Chuck is very funny.
:D
Although I don't know if it should be defined as a Sprite comic.

I'd say best newcomer in this case should be 2 months or less than 10 pages.

.: SpANG! :.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:51PM
DetectiveFork at 10:16AM, June 18, 2006
(offline)
How about “Best Comic Starring a Crime-Solving Utensil”?

;-)

I do like the thuoght of these awards coming back. Most of the stuff I read is on Druck Dunk, anyway.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
Hawk at 10:44AM, June 18, 2006
(online)
Well, that would mean you'd have to compete with my comic, Officer Saland Tongs.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
PhatScurl at 11:15AM, June 18, 2006
(offline)
I GOT IT!!! I KNOW HOW THIS WILL WORK! (It's not perfect but it'll take most of the pain out of it) Okay, first create a list of the different awards to be given out, and then post it as a bulletin or something on the front page. Each person who would like to enter the awards, may apply their comic for a maximum of 2 categories (or whatever). Then you have a group of 2 or 3 people look over one of categories. They'll be a group of people for each category, and they'll decide who wins the categories.

And if we decide to do a “Best Comic on DD” then all the groups look over the winners of each category, and just decide on the best one.

That i think would be the best way to do it. We would just need a good amount of volunteers.

and allow me to be the first!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
skoolmunkee at 11:56AM, June 18, 2006
(online)
So who is/are the one/s to be in charge of this thing? PlayerOne hasn't bothered to come back to the thread in a while, does anyone else want to start organizing things? I'm not willing to put up a newspost about any awards until I know there's going to be some kind of plan.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
PhatScurl at 12:04PM, June 18, 2006
(offline)
If we use my plan, ill at least attempt to organize it. No promises, though. Im not responsible if nobody volunteers. But by the amount of comments in this topic, i think a lot of people would be interested
Barguest at 12:18PM, June 18, 2006
(offline)
I could do it. I've been on drunkduck for a long time (previously I was Scarab) and I have a lot of free time on my hands. As long as organizing it wouldn't kick my comic out of any running I'd be fine doing it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
Corvin at 4:49PM, June 18, 2006
(offline)
how about including comics under the following criteria:

1) comics older than january 1, 2006 (which automatically takes mine out of the running) or older than one year at least. (did anyone's archives survive the Great Shutdown of 2005? otherwise i can see where this rule would be a problem)

2) comics updated within the past month

3) comics with more than 75-100 pages (that averages out to 1 comic every 3-5 days if using the latter part of b, which demonstrates a decent dedication to one's comic; exceptions would be for comics that update weekly AND regularly)

4) i have no idea… i thought about proposing one category per winner, but that's not really fair.

i propose rule 1 because that would give the awards an “oscar” feel, where we judge our peers based on the work of the past year. if these awards continue, it would also eliminate older comics that have ended, and give newer comics something to work towards if they so choose.

Corvin
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
PhatScurl at 6:09PM, June 18, 2006
(offline)
actually that rule technically eliminates all the new comics from the running. We might do something similar for next year (that is if we actually do awards) but since its been so long since the last one we need to give all comics a chance.
skoolmunkee at 11:38PM, June 18, 2006
(online)
PhatScurl
If we use my plan

Part of the problem here is that lots of people have lots of ideas. Whoever wants to organize this needs to be willing to take a lot of user input on how the thing will be run and then put something together that is fair and most people can agree on. :)

The first thing that probably needs to happen is a discussion about comic eligibility and how comics are nominated and narrowed down and then voted on. I'm sure lots of people have ideas for categories but the hard part will be coming up with a fair process. So whoever wants to run the thing (or several someones) should be willing to work with suggestions to do that.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
AQua_ng at 11:55PM, June 18, 2006
(online)
SpANG!
I'd say best newcomer in this case should be 2 months or less than 10 pages.

Damn. Missed out by 12 days and 22 pages.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
SpANG at 9:51AM, June 19, 2006
(online)
Tater Salad
I think SpANG was joking… That's an incredibly stupid way to limit newcomers.
  • 1. It was a SUGGESTION. A base from which new ideas can form. YOU DON"T HAVE TO BE INSULTING in EVERY response. Don't worry, people will still know who you are.

2. Where exactly, in YOUR opinion do you think we should cut off the ‘newcomer’ threshold? 6 months? 8 months? Hell, how ‘bout a year? What exactly defines a newcomer in your opinion? Go ahead, tell me. I’ll let you know why you are wrong. :wink:

In my opinion, NO, Aqua is NOT a newcomer. Sorry if that doesn't sit well.

PhatScurl at 10:00AM, June 19, 2006
(offline)
a page limit ill agree with, but a date about when your comic had to have been up, that's just kinda pointless. 20 pages sounds like a good limit
AQua_ng at 12:52AM, June 20, 2006
(online)
SpANG!
In my opinion, NO, Aqua is NOT a newcomer. Sorry if that doesn't sit well.

You're just jealous that the voices are only talking to me and not you. :-D

But seriously, I'm cool with that. I'll just go for Best Strip, Most Humourous, and Most original and maybe best pushing of stereotypes

Most original: Art or writing? Or hair?

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM
ozoneocean at 1:08AM, June 20, 2006
(online)
I would only enter my work in Best Sprite comic, Best Manga, Best Furry, Best Superhero, Best WTF, Best Newcomer, and Biggest loser ^^

That's all. :P

I'd like to be part of the awards, but not actually in them.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
skoolmunkee at 2:32AM, June 20, 2006
(online)
Kennedy0
Is this thing ever actually going to happen?

Considering no one has really volunteered to be in charge or organizing/etc. yet, and people are just telling each other their ideas without much collaboration/agreement going on… I can only hope so. :)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
SpANG at 5:55AM, June 20, 2006
(online)
I wouldn't worry about stealing an idea. I posted the idea a day before this thread was made. Others have talked about it too. I really didn't think that PlayerOne was ripping me off (it wasn't even my idea, when you get right down to it), he was just expanding on it. :wink:

KAM at 2:54PM, June 20, 2006
(online)
Eligibility -
On the one hand you could say that eligibility extends back to whatever the cutoff date was for the previous award.
On the other hand some comics have vanished since the Duck died & came back.
Suggestion: Start with January of this year to a month before the awards are given out. In that month we have the nomination & voting period.

Newcomer -
Well how do you define newcomer? Someone who just came to the Duck (but may have been doing comics for years) or someone who is just starting out period?
The KAMics - my cartoons
KAM's Fanart - fanart
KAMics Kast - cast pages
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
KAM at 3:16PM, June 20, 2006
(online)
Possible Categories -

Best Drama
Best Dramatic Art
Best Dramatic Writing

Best Comedy
Best Comedic Art
Best Comedic Writing
- Note: This could be problematic since some comedies have continuing storylines & characters, while others are random. Possibly could be broken up to reflect this. (Long-form vs. Short-form? Continuing vs. Random?)

By Art I mean something which is actually drawn either on paper/canvas/etc. or on the computer or a combination.

3D art programs such as Poser can be problematic. I understand that a lot of work does go into creating the models, but then I believe once the model is finished it can simply be manipulated so then it becomes a matter of composition rather than drawing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Photographic comics where the author sets up something to be photographed could be called art, but I would rather see a category called Best Composition to deal with photo comics & possibly 3D Comics.
Clearly a topic for discussion.

Comics made from computer game sprites or photos the author found should not be eligible for Art awards.
The KAMics - my cartoons
KAM's Fanart - fanart
KAMics Kast - cast pages
lefarce at 1:01PM, June 25, 2006
(online)
“Most Insecure Comic Author”.

Haha, I think I would take the award for that.

Anyway, I think I know how this could all work out…. stay with me here…

First, we come up with a list of categories, obviously. Not a ton but not a few. Something like 15 or 20 (at the most).

Some categories will be under a self nomination policy, where you can nominate yourself in categories like “Most Insecure Author”.

Others, such as “Best DD comic” will be under a community nomination policy. This would be where majority rules, and the top 5-10 comics that get nominated the most will make it to the judging round.

Alternatively, we could just have a teams of 3 judges read DD comics in their designated categories for a week, and chose 5 that they like and want to take to the next round. This would put 15 in each. They would then talk between each other to narrow it down to 5. Users would then be able to post about them here and give their opinion on the last 5 to help influence the judges. Then, by taking their opinions and the publics, they'll chose a single comic to win that category.

Personally I like the second method, as it lets users put in their two cents, but restricts it so crap comics don't win based on popularity.

The winners could then be announced in a comic. We just make a new account called “the_drunkies” or something, and each page will be a comic by one of the judges or volunteer, and will be a makeshift award ceremony, announcing the winner of each category at the end of each page.

I think this would work really well. Though I'm iffy on the last part about making an account, as multiple people would have to have the password… unless they all just give their comics to one user (the one who is running this) who will then post them up.

If everyone likes this method, and there are no objections, I could run this thing. I would like it if at least two more people could sign on to help, as that’s allot of work for one man.

The submition rules would be…

Must have over 20 pages.
Must be a user for at least 3 months, except if there is a newcomer category.
Must show that you have steady updates.
Your comic can be nominated if you are a judge, just not in the catigory that your judging.

Users would sign up in a thread for the judging.
There will also be a thread for self nominations and community nominations*.
And another thread to sign up for doing the award comics.

The rules are simple, and follow some of the review sections rules. I say if you have enough pages to review, why not be able to enter the DD awards?

So again, if there are no objections, and you like what you see, I can host this all… assuming you haven't yet found anyone (I tried to read every post, but there are so many :shock: )

*Assuming the first method of nomination is used, though I think the second would work better.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:30PM
kaminari at 2:29PM, June 25, 2006
(online)
I think this is a great idea.. Kinda like the best anime cel contest I enjoy every year only the items to enter are much cheaper.

I think I agree that first, this needs to have a real planner..
Perhaps the admins could have an open call for a small lot of volunteers for planning the event. The admins could select who they deem fit to plan this based on a short description of how involved and full of ideas on this project the person feels he or she is. The volunteers would take suggestions for a short period of time and plan the event based on those ideas and their own.
Then they could present the idea for the nomination process, the awards, and the categories, etc. to admins and also on the forums to see how everyone feels about it, and then take a week or so to tweak it based on the feedback.

I personally feel that voting should be left up to a panel of judges that could be selected by the volunteers from either the admin or someone not willing to enter their own work into the contest. Any judge or voter is going to be biased in some way so its really hard to avoid it, but I feel this is the best way to avoid an artist getting 50 friends or themselves to vote 1000 times on their comic leaving someone who isnt insanely popular but has an awesome comic left on the tail end of the votes.
(and there are a lot of awesome comics that arent well known out there.)

Its like a small cel of normal Kirara (IY) walking with half its tail cut off at the top winning over a cel of bubbly eyed Lime (SMJ) crying over her melty gel-like ice cream for cutest cel. (And that Lime cel was so cute it made your insides crawl)

but… the voulnteers would come up with the voting process ultimately.

So, ummm… thats what I suggest.. Im sorry if I repeated something someone else suggested or sound kinda silly..

dont hurt me too much…

*ducks*

EDIT…
I see that something similar to this idea was just put into motion after I posted this ^_^

I am FS2 champion! w00t!!
sandy at 8:19PM, July 27, 2006
(online)
What about for character design and originality? Just a thought.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
PhatScurl at 12:26PM, July 28, 2006
(offline)
character design would be very difficult to judge just from the sheer numbers of style, and i believe i already have originality up
subcultured at 12:36AM, Aug. 23, 2006
(online)
this all sounds really cool :D
J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:00PM
essarr at 10:38AM, Aug. 24, 2006
(offline)
Okay. I agree that the newcomer should be something like within 3 months and less than a certain number of pages. Because then why would newcomer be considered a newcomer if their comic has been up for about a year, right? =P

As for the main organization and whatnot of DDA (DrunkDuck Awards lol), it is pretty obvious we still need some time to put into this. We've no need to rush this to get this started no matter how exciting it is lol.

As for the “Best Comic” to be decided overall the main category winners, it would not be as easy as it seems to win the Best DD Comic on overall the award categories. I think maybe the judges would have to cut it down to the top 3 comics from all of the category winners for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place (to be nice? lol) And from there have people vote from the three.
Also, maybe instead of “Best” Why not “Most favoured”? Or something hahah. I don't know I'm just spouting ideas.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
lothar at 2:13AM, Aug. 26, 2006
(online)
i already have lots of awards on my comic
like this one
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
skoolmunkee at 3:56AM, Aug. 26, 2006
(online)
You won a cook-off in Chile? :3
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
qswtbt at 9:21PM, April 9, 2007
(offline)
exsuze me I have a question will there be a prize for best new story/strip?
lost
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:57PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved