Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Drunk Duck: reputation
Inkmonkey at 10:18AM, Oct. 11, 2009
(offline)
mr_thin
I heard a rumor that Drunk Duck may cause headaches, nausea, impotence, and vaginal discharge.

That guy at the convention was just trying to do everyone a favor. You've all been warned!!!

Not recommended for women who are nursing, pregnant or may become pregnant.

Warning: Contains nuts.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
elektro at 10:22AM, Oct. 11, 2009
(offline)
Inkmonkey
Warning: Contains nuts.

Well, you're right on this point. *elektro says while forcing a dingo to eat a neighborhood kid while performing the macarena in public…in 2009*
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
patrickdevine at 12:33PM, Oct. 11, 2009
(online)
worstcase
I like DD!

Does that make me a rebel?
No, it's fashionable to be anti-trendy.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
ParkerFarker at 5:09PM, Oct. 11, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
ParkerFarker
how much would Drunk Duck cost to buy? Because it just so happens I am planning on making millions of dollars when I am older.
We all plan to make millions of dollars when we get older lol!

no but see here's the thing, I'm actually going to make millions. I'll just sit around, work in McDonalds for a bit and then become a movie star. You'll see, I'll make millions. Millions.

“We are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.” - Blackadder
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:39PM
elektro at 7:21PM, Oct. 11, 2009
(offline)
ParkerFarker
no but see here's the thing, I'm actually going to make millions. I'll just sit around, work in McDonalds for a bit and then become a movie star. You'll see, I'll make millions. Millions.

So, basically, the Kevin Smith plan?

*likes Kevin Smith movies, for the record*
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
zaymac at 9:06AM, Oct. 12, 2009
(online)
lastcall
So I was at the Baltimore Comic-Con today and a press guy stopped at my table for Last Call and noticed my website had “Drunk Duck” in the URL. He started freaking out and saying I should leave Drunk Duck as soon as I could, that it was a bad place to host my webcomic.

Well, if you want to host you're comic on drunk duck, but don't wanna have the drunkduck.com in your url, you could just spend 6-8 dollars and buy a domain name and then have the domain name direct itself to your site on DD.

Of course this is a sneaky practice, but still. A lot of people can't afford to host their own site, or just don't wanna maintain it. So DD is good in that regard. But I would recommend everyone get their own domain and direct it here if they plan on doing cons and stuff.

More people would probably be likely to visit your site if it were something like www.lastcall.com rather than typing in DrunkDuck.com/YouR_Comic_ETC. People on the internet are lazy, and the less they have to remember and type, the better. :)

That's just my 2 cents.

It's a Grizzly Bear battling Zombies. Do you need to know more?
DOLLAR STORE HAIRCUTA daily webcomic of unfunny.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:55PM
TheFlyingGreenMonkey at 3:31PM, Oct. 12, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
ParkerFarker
how much would Drunk Duck cost to buy? Because it just so happens I am planning on making millions of dollars when I am older.
We all plan to make millions of dollars when we get older lol!
I'm hoping for 50k yearly myself. But the upcomming inflation will make 50k nothing p.p

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:18PM
lastcall at 3:29PM, Oct. 14, 2009
(offline)
zaymac
. A lot of people can't afford to host their own site, or just don't wanna maintain it. So DD is good in that regard. But I would recommend everyone get their own domain and direct it here if they plan on doing cons and stuff.

I totally agree; I love DD for the ease of its hosting )
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
benjin at 2:43AM, Oct. 15, 2009
(online)
Having a domain for your own comic is fine. On the other hand, who will find your comic out in the big multicolored, multilingual, multiculture mixture called internet?
DD is a comic community. People come here to read one or two comics and stumble over others, including yours and mine. Without this community I would not even have those 10 visitors a day I currently have ;)

DD looks very old-fashioned, no new functions in 3 years. But performance is acceptable. (I tried out several other comic portals. They need a minute to load a single page)
I like DD. I don't case who's behind it as long as I have nothing to do with them.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
Rich at 4:23AM, Oct. 15, 2009
(online)
Regardless of all the complaints that can be thrown against DD and Plat, the fact remains that the site generally works as it is supposed to and noone is getting fucked over.

I'd really not concern myself with that guy's complaints if I was you. DD gets the job done, which is plenty for people who don't have the time, energy, and patience to build a site and pay for advertising.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:07PM
Red Slayer at 7:07AM, Oct. 15, 2009
(online)
lastcall
[ (lastcallcomic.com, by the way) ;)
Too long too many clothes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:03PM
mamaya94 at 8:57AM, Nov. 13, 2009
(online)
Yeah…
Drunk duck is the best site for comic community in america &other world.
I personally think Naver the Korean Portal site more comfotable because I've used it for more than 2years and it have regular tech updates.I really hope a portal site buy DD and make things way better.
But still,Drunk Duck is the best because this is the easiest and fastest english comic website by far.Other place is so hard to update and no one really comment it.I feel so lucky I met this site
Main Comic

Finished one
Hanged Doll:Where does your memory begin???
http://www.drunkduck.com/hanged_doll/

Resting one
30 years:30 years of pain and suffering…Time for payback
http://www.drunkduck.com/30_Years/
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:50PM
LowResAtari at 9:03AM, Nov. 13, 2009
(offline)
Ehh, I really never really cared what the reputation of Drunk Duck was. Then again, spriters tended to be rather neutral in all of it anyway because we were off dealing with other drama. For a while the only reason I ever wanted to leave because of the multitude of irritatingly intrusive ads, but I discovered adblockers and got over it.

The only reason I ever “left” is because I had a chance to get onto a bit more exclusive (and in the realm of sprite comics, much more popular) website elsewhere =P
99% of people would've finished this sente
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM
worldwillshout at 7:51AM, Nov. 16, 2009
(offline)
LowResAtari
Ehh, I really never really cared what the reputation of Drunk Duck was. Then again, spriters tended to be rather neutral in all of it anyway because we were off dealing with other drama. For a while the only reason I ever wanted to leave because of the multitude of irritatingly intrusive ads, but I discovered adblockers and got over it.

The only reason I ever “left” is because I had a chance to get onto a bit more exclusive (and in the realm of sprite comics, much more popular) website elsewhere =P

so are you saying that you don't give a damn ‘bout your bad reputation because we’re living in the past it's a new generation?
Cupcakes are the Devil!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
LowResAtari at 11:08AM, Nov. 17, 2009
(offline)
…how the hell do you get all that from what was basically a long-winded version of “I never noticed/cared because my attention was elsewhere”?
99% of people would've finished this sente
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:48PM
Amelius at 2:22PM, Nov. 17, 2009
(offline)
LowResAtari, since he's quoting a Joan Jett song, I don't think worldwillshout intended anything insulting! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM
sakebento at 2:49PM, Nov. 17, 2009
(offline)
I…know nothing of DD's reputation. O_o I was a keenspace-r back in the day when it was still keenspace, and that was a real pain. One of the less convenient things in my life. I joined DD because I have some friends here who all seem healthy and happy with the service. So far, I'm liking it. Plus it gives me much more exposure than I get just keeping a comic on my own domain.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:17PM
lastcall at 3:10PM, Nov. 17, 2009
(offline)
sakebento
I…know nothing of DD's reputation. O_o I was a keenspace-r back in the day when it was still keenspace, and that was a real pain. One of the less convenient things in my life.

Amen to that. The first time I was looking for a place to host Last Call, I tried keenspace/comic genesis–bad idea. The forum dwellers were rude and leetist, I had to fill out a form just to get a webspace (which I never received), and they offered absolutely NO coding/html help. I wasn't getting anywhere with them. Then I found DD, and I am so glad I did. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
worldwillshout at 4:14PM, Nov. 17, 2009
(offline)
LowResAtari
…how the hell do you get all that from what was basically a long-winded version of “I never noticed/cared because my attention was elsewhere”?

Apparently you don't love rock n roll. :nervous:
Cupcakes are the Devil!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 5:23PM, Nov. 17, 2009
(offline)
Anyone notice the bug yesterday? I guess that shows how much Platinum seems to care.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:53PM
Aurora Borealis at 2:58AM, Nov. 18, 2009
(online)
Yay, two pages late for the thread…

Anyway, it's the same way how some people say they'll never make any comics for Image (even though Image has one of the better deals when it comes to the creators keeping the rights to their work) because at some level Todd McFarlane is involved and they hate him.

I could do more examples, but I just woke up and my brain's still asleep.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:08AM
Ozoneocean at 3:26AM, Nov. 18, 2009
(online)
I Am The 1337 Master
Anyone notice the bug yesterday? I guess that shows how much Platinum seems to care.
Plat took care of it fast. Rapid-fire series of e-mails… shoulda seen em. O_O
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:35PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 4:46PM, Nov. 25, 2009
(offline)
Hey, can't I be an inconsiderate jerk for more than 2 posts?

:P

I haven't had any problems with PP but apparantly as its been said before their reputation is terrible. I realize they can't just go and put a ban aid on it and have it all better. I hope some other people who blame them for it all of it release their unjust blames…did that made sense? Sometimes I don't even know…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:53PM
KDog at 1:30PM, Nov. 30, 2009
(online)
Related question-

How long do we think Platinum is going to keep paying for Drunk Duck's upkeep? With the way they have kind of ignored the site, I have this ominous feeling that DD is not long for this world and will go the way of Geocities in a few years. I hope to hell not, but it doesn't look promising to me.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:14PM
skoolmunkee at 5:23PM, Nov. 30, 2009
(offline)
I feel pretty certain they're committed to maintaining it for a while yet. However I think the key will be that DD will need to make up its own cost of upkeep sooner or later. The site is fairly expensive to run and from a business standpoint it isn't ‘worth’ what they're spending. I think the ads are what is keeping the place afloat now.

That said, Plat is aware they've been neglecting the site, that membership has dropped and that admins have been leaving. They're just in a financial bind. They are actually working on something they think will help and will hopefully be released soon.
IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
KDog at 6:54PM, Nov. 30, 2009
(online)
Cool, I look forward to whatever it is! *SUSPENSE*
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:14PM
davechua at 7:00PM, Nov. 30, 2009
(offline)
All this talk about Platinum and Hero by Night reminds me of DC/Warner and Spiegel/Shuster.

Guess creators have gotten screwed as long as comics have been around.
My webcomic: The Buried
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
notlikelytocare at 7:42PM, Nov. 30, 2009
(online)
skoolmunkee
I feel pretty certain they're committed to maintaining it for a while yet. However I think the key will be that DD will need to make up its own cost of upkeep sooner or later. The site is fairly expensive to run and from a business standpoint it isn't ‘worth’ what they're spending. I think the ads are what is keeping the place afloat now.

That said, Plat is aware they've been neglecting the site, that membership has dropped and that admins have been leaving. They're just in a financial bind. They are actually working on something they think will help and will hopefully be released soon.

Yeah, I just cant wait until I have to pay for certain perks.

you know it to be true
My avatar is tiny because I'm compensating.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:19PM
mattboy115 at 12:52AM, Dec. 16, 2009
(online)
elektro
I like Drunk Duck, but I hate Platinum. I wish someone with some money and business sense would buy DD from Platinum already. I'd hate to see this site fade away due to a company with piss-poor management skills.

I think if that were to happen there is the slim chance it could go to somebody who would start charging people to host on the site.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:55PM
SpANG at 3:55AM, Dec. 16, 2009
(online)
I guess I should mention that I stepped down from my Admin position (as of November). Mostly because I'm not around much anymore, but I did have a lot of honest criticism to give PS regarding the Duck when I left and I hope they take it to heart.

Platinum Studios is not the enemy. They are just a company that was a product of poor management and communication. They lost a lot of good and talented people in the process, not just DJ.

However, the few people that are left are committed to try and get in the black again. I've been a part of a few conversations with PS and they are trying to steer more attention towards a great product like DD. Problem now is that they are like 9 people doing the work of what once was like 30.

But I do have to say that when PS was making money, they did their best to promote DD. They spent a FORTUNE on Wizard World conventions alone. That said, Drunk Duck is probably the best asset they have right now. They'd be pretty crazy to sell it or let it die.

I will also say this. Webcomics do not get the reverence that printed work gets and they probably never will; especially to people at a comic convention. It's the nature of the beast, because although there are many great webcomics out there, the shit comics outweigh the good by a staggering amount. Even if you have a good comic, don't expect to get anywhere unless you promote the crap out of it. Drunk Duck (Platinum Studios) does not restrict you to exclusivity to this hosting site, like others. Take advantage of that. Get your own name out there.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:53PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon