Debate and Discussion

Earth Hour
BffSatan at 1:20AM, March 27, 2009
(online)
I am not participating, and I have a good reason. I care about the environment.

This whole thing is stupid, people seem to actually think that Earth Hour will change everything and now the environment will be ok because they gave up one hour of electricity. It's silly really, all year long people are leaving appliances on when they aren't being used, one hour with the lights of won't help and now the people involved think, “hey, I've done my one hour of good for the year, now off to club some seals.”
As a matter of fact Earth Hour is only going to produce more CO2 than a normal hour. The first thing people have to understand is where their power actually comes from, machienes have to make it and the people controlling theese machienes have no idea how much power will be used in this time so if they turned the power production down it would put hospitals at risk. The power not used in Earth Hour is wasted. Even if they did know, all the energy not used during Earth Hour would be less then the energy wasted getting the power consumption back to normal. It actually uses a lot of power to get a power plant running normaly after it's been running slow.
During Earth Hour most people will be using candles for light, now this is the really stupid part. Candles produce more CO2 then a light bulb and less light. I don't know why people don't get that, it's logical that power plants are designed to produce electricity efficently while candles are technology that have been around for centuries and have changed very little, a huge amount of CO2 is produced by burning them.
But maybe people will turn their other appliances off. Unfortunately not, I've heard plenty of people say that they just watched TV the whole time last year, they will do it agian.
I think we should just get rid of Earth Hour, replace it with a buy energy saving lights day and get people to turn televisions and computers off when they aren't in use. That way something positive actually happens and it won't just be all media hype.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
humorman at 1:56AM, March 27, 2009
(offline)
I think the problem here is that there are too many people like you that are pessimistic about the world. You use this as an excuse to not help mother earth. The reason why it's good to use candles is because it's closer to nature. Light bulbs aren't natural, and that's why they're bad. I think we all need to plant a single tree in a desert. In a hundred years, those trees will be a forest and we will be able to solve world hunger.

That is what Earth Hour is about.

Billy vs. Tree – The epic struggle of boy versus tree.
Sonic Colores – It looks like it's going to be a good game because I love how the way it makes me grow.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:51PM
ozoneocean at 4:29AM, March 27, 2009
(online)
It's hype yes, and doesn't achieve anything in its own right, but as humorman facetiously points out; people who are pessimistic and using things like this an excuse NOT to do anything are part of the problem.

Now of course humorman is just trolling, it's what he does, he'd love someone to tell him how insane it would be to plant trees in the desert. He would be laughing his arse of at anyone silly enough to respond… and so will I, but that doesn't mean there can't be a grain of truth somewhere in there. :)

————-
The true point of things like Earth hour are to get people aware of the issue of wasteful energy usage. It's not practical; it's symbolic. ;)
Once people start thinking about saving energy, thinking about how they can spend their time without using power, that's the real victory, the true purpose behind the whole thing.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
bravo1102 at 5:06AM, March 27, 2009
(online)
This event may be lost on those of us who live through periodic power outages. I spend a few hours in the dark every summer quite against my will. The guy who smashed into a transformer during my doctor's appointment last fall and blacked out all of Central NJ was a bigger event than Earth Hour.

Maybe the enviornmentalists should take advantage of these blackouts to instruct people in what life without power is really all about and how after a while you don't miss the electricity. The experience of building a model by candle light was wonderful and you find out that landline phones and gas heat are wonderful things. Welcome to the 19th Century or even rural America into the 1960's. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
Orin J Master at 10:09AM, March 27, 2009
(online)
hey look a meaning less symbolic geasture! surely that makes up for not improving the way you do things in the rest of your life, right?

fuck, even self-improvement has to be an event with some people….
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
Faliat at 12:35PM, March 27, 2009
(online)
humorman
I think we all need to plant a single tree in a desert. In a hundred years, those trees will be a forest and we will be able to solve world hunger.
THAT'S bad for the environment. If the trees don't die off they'll replace the ecosystem already there and the animals adapted to that old ecosystem won't survive and go extinct. If they do die off, that's a lot of dead wood going to go up in flames and kill off some of the remaining vegetation that the local animals are dependant on for food.

And the whole thing about burning candles is kinda what got us into this mess in the first place. For years our ancestors started fires and used candles for light. Putting thousands of years worth of CO2 into the air.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
kyupol at 1:29PM, March 27, 2009
(online)
Global warming is a pseudo-science to begin with.

In grade school, we are taught that humans and animals breath oxygen while plants breathe carbon dioxide.

The media says that CO2 is bad. And CO2 is just the name of Carbon Dioxide!!!

Also its not human industry but its the SUN and its cycles:
http://www.livescience.com/environment/070312_solarsys_warming.html

Boycott Earth Hour.

Enough with this nonsense.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
ozoneocean at 9:02PM, March 27, 2009
(online)
kyupol
Global warming is a pseudo-science to begin with.
No it's not but a lot of what you believe is ;)
Faliat
response to humorman
He was trolling man… you fell for it. :(
Orin J Master
hey look a meaning less symbolic geasture!
that's an oxymoron. Being symbolic indicate that it does indeed have a meaning.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:33PM
lothar at 1:20AM, March 28, 2009
(online)
it will be usefull as a symbol if it actually gets people thinking and doing something to conserve energy for more than 1 hour a year.

but i fear that it will be more of a placebo than anythingthing else . these kind of actions are all over the place now. just look at the whole recycling trend .for example ; single use plastic bottles are a problem , it takes resources and energy to produce them AND it takes more energy to recycle them . people should be reusing the same bottles rather than using them once and tossing them in the recycle can. so because you recycled it you get to feel all warm and fuzzy ‘cause you’re saving the world , but you'de be saving the world more if you washed the thing off and refilled it .
i drink tap water and ride a bicycle every day

as if Earth“day” wasn't insulting enuf
now it's 1 hour
what's next ? “Earth minute” where everybody holds their breath for one minute in order to reduce CO2 levels !!!!!!!!!
Earth hour is a joke , it's just a way for people to feel better without actually having to think
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:45PM
Product Placement at 7:12AM, March 28, 2009
(online)
The purpose of this Earth day/hour isn't just to reduce pollution by shutting down power for one hour. It's meant to encourage us to think about our own energy consumption and what we can do to reduce carbon emission. At least, that's what the TV tells me during Earth day.

But do you guys want to know what's really stupid?

99% of all the energy production where I live is green. Despite that, our government has been promoting and following this Earth day/hour thing. “Listen everyone! We have to do our part and reduce our consumption of energy that isn't contributing to our CO2 production at all.”

How about they use this Earth day to instead promote green energy production instead? Iceland could become the poster child for this movement when it comes to green energy. We have a huge knowledge base and experts in fields of Geothermal energy. This would be an excellent contribution to Earth day and it would promote our country in a positive way. Wouldn't that be more useful then flipping off our light switch?
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
bravo1102 at 7:58AM, March 28, 2009
(online)
Product placement! You can never go with what is proven to work! You have to create a movement and spend lots of money to create something new and novel that seems to always beckon to us from the next decade but we seem never to arrive there.

Imagine what they could do with Hawai'ian and Alaskan vulcanism?

As far as global warming: of course it exists! It's called summer. ;) (I couldn't resist the one-liner :)

Product Placement at 10:45AM, March 28, 2009
(online)
bravo1102
Product placement! You can never go with what is proven to work! You have to create a movement and spend lots of money to create something new and novel that seems to always beckon to us from the next decade but we seem never to arrive there.
Why not? It's not something mundane that bores people when you talk about it. Providing a working example should shake people more with the words, “We got it to work. Why can't you?”. Surely a taunt like that would encourage people to want to see change. Very few countries even have geothermal projects where there's there's potential for such.
Professor Wikipedia
Although geothermal power plants, concentrated in the West, provide the third largest domestic source of renewable electricity after hydroelectricity and biomass, they currently produce less than one percent of total U.S. electricity supply. However, a geothermal resource assessment shows that nine western states together have the potential to provide over 20 percent of national electricity needs.
It's a no-brainer, really. No fuel required, pollution free, minimal disruption to the land.

bravo1102
Imagine what they could do with Hawai'ian and Alaskan vulcanism?
Probably the same as where I live. It's also a highly Volcanic place. We have an eruption on a 5 year schedule on average.

But you don't need to plant one next to an active volcano to make it work. Geothermal heat exist everywhere. It's just closer to the surface at these aforementioned places. The biggest technical problem is whether or not water exists down there to begin with. Highly volcanic areas are at an advantage there since you don't need to drill that deep to get to tappable energy source and the ground water lever normally exists at that dept. Where there's plenty of heat but no water, no steam can be generated. It's possible to use hot dry rock for geothermal energy by introducing water down there via boreholes but this technique has limited life time since it cools down the area around it and there are concerns that introducing water where none existed before might affect the terrain above.

If you have heat, and plenty of ground water, I say full steam ahead. No pun intended.

Then of course you can trow in a dash of solar energy, a hint of wind. It all ads up.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
Orin J Master at 11:27AM, March 29, 2009
(online)
ozoneocean
Being symbolic indicate that it does indeed have a meaning.

please, don't be obtuse. symbols created under a false understanding have no actual meaning and are just paper tigers. this was a poorly considered idea by people that think that changing the world should be something you can put on a T-shirt rather than something you subtly apply to your life.

it is symbolic in that it is supposed to symbolise change. but as it doesn't advocate or conduct any actual change the symbol means nothing. same process as manufatcured rappers.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:22PM
Faliat at 9:19AM, April 1, 2009
(online)
I actually wonder whether global warming is because of pollution, the possibility we might be coming out of an ice age or the cooling caused by a volcanic eruption millenia ago might be wearing off. There's so many OTHER things it could be.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't cut down on pollution, though. It's bad for us anyway!

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
kyupol at 9:22AM, April 1, 2009
(online)
More proof that global warming is a hoax.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech-mainmenu-30/environment/942

Over the past several years, it appeared that our society was doomed to succumb to what Weather Channel founder John Coleman has described as “the greatest scam in history”: anthropogenic (human-caused) global warming (AGW). For two decades there has been an incessant drumbeat of propaganda attributing every weather-related event to an increase in carbon dioxide caused by the burning of fossil fuels. With the election of a president who is solidly in the global-warming-alarmist camp — and with many high-level appointees who are bona fide climate-change alarmists — coupled with a Democratic legislature anxious to please their environmentalist and media benefactors, the passage of legislation causing some form of economy-crippling energy taxation seemed to be a foregone conclusion.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:26PM
bravo1102 at 10:10AM, April 1, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
bravo1102
Why not? It's not something mundane that bores people when you talk about it. Providing a working example should shake people more with the words, “We got it to work. Why can't you?”. Surely a taunt like that would encourage people to want to see change. Very few countries even have geothermal projects where there's there's potential for such.

I was being facetious because I agree with you. But everyone would rather go with wind farms and solar power technologies whose effectiveness is always over the horizon as opposed to Geothermal which as you say is proven to work.

It could all be so simple but instead people listen to the latest annoncement from the media they agree with and go with that regardless of any evidence to the contrary.
Backstaber at 10:20AM, April 1, 2009
(offline)

:p
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
ifelldownthestairs at 7:24PM, April 1, 2009
(online)
i think it's funny that to some people, an hour without electricity is the GREATEST SACRIFICE they can make to the earth.

“jesus man.. the trash can is right there… did you really have to throw that on the floor?”

“IT'S OKAY! yesterday i didn't use electricity for an hour. i'm part of the solution.”

like that day where people boycotted gas. that was so annoying, i wanted to get gas, drive around unnecessarily, and then go get more gas. it's not even close to as obnoxious as deciding not to buy gas for ONE DAY. what difference would that make? you want to make a difference? buy a fucking bike.

same thing here. out of all the people who went along with their stupid little earth hour, how many do you suppose actually changed their lives based on that? i really imagine the percentage to be quite tiny; the people who are mindful of these sorts of things already were, and still are.

let me just ask this: do you think think that if there was a “vegetarian day” and everyone stopped eating meat for a day, some people would say “OH MY GOD i was so wrong! meat is murder! this must be stopped! i'm going to the vegan store right this second.”

not the best analogy, but my point is you don't change people with mindless little stunts like this. you have to educate the masses and let them decide for themselves once they have the information: “do i care about resources? or am i an asshole?”

chances are most would decide that they are in fact assholes, and would proceed to blast their ac with the door and all the windows in their house open, but at least they wouldn't bother people with dumb text messages about stupid shit like this.
you know why birds don't write their memoirs? because birds don't lead epic lives, that's why. who'd want to read what a bird does? nobody. that's who.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
c_arnold at 1:49PM, April 4, 2009
(offline)
It was silly, and though I'll give the organizers an “A” for effort thinking it was well intended, it wasn't the way to go about raising concern for our planet. There obviously weren't enough people interested to care where I live to join in. Let's be honest, the reason Earth hour has been laughed at is because it offers nothing tangible to those who would chose to participate.

By the way, what the hell happened to Earth Day?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
kitsunesan at 1:05PM, April 6, 2009
(online)
the earth hour, interesting concept, really, I dont think it really works, for various reason stated by others, above…but something that it did, was making people, think a little, just a little, about the enviroment, of course, thy will be like hypocrites the next day, and will be consuming energy like monster..but, hey, it is a little step, for ignorant like them..or us…or wathever…

Second, what the hell, is with hoaxes and conspiracys , about what the global warming really is…I mean, first we wre informed, that Global warming would kill us all…YAY for that…then years later, they say, NO Global Warming doesnt exist..while others go like CO2 isnt the cause, The global warming is happening because , some countries (EHEM) are doing climate weapon thingy, and leaving chemtrails..or wathever…jeez…

I am in Peru, and well yes, normally summer would have ended by now, but NOO we still have this awfull sun, …Meaning that our whole cycle is changing…
SO, is it true…all this global warning thing…well yes, maybe, can we save the planet…well yes, ..doing things that really matters, like, stopping using the computer for 24 hours a day, because some people is so lazy to unplug the danm computer…or the dvd, or the tv…jeez..or chewing gum like crazy and then spitting them on the plants…and so on,…
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:17PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved