Media Megaforum

Entertainment.
Sayomi at 4:39AM, Feb. 23, 2011
(offline)
What types of comics are best - manga, unique…
Which porgrams do you like - soaps (yuck!), drama, mysetry…
What books are your fave and why?

I'm just curious.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
DarkGesen at 6:01AM, Feb. 23, 2011
(online)
Well, what type of comics are best is more of a matter of opinion to be fair. I don't think there is a “best type” of comics.
To be honest, I don't really watch TV either. XP
My favourite types of comics (and books in general) is manga.
My favourite mangas are One Piece and Black Cat.

You didn't actually answer the questions yourself(!)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
PIT_FACE at 6:32AM, Feb. 23, 2011
(online)
public survey eh? i never pass up the opportunity to splooge upon my interests.

comic wise, i like alotta em, ussually though, if it has bold art and balls out action, i'll dig it, a touch o dark humor never hurts either. aint a big fan of melodrama.
tv wise, i dont know, whatever's interestin, i dont watch alotta tv, mostly whatever's on Hulu now. national geographic, cartoons, sitcoms if they're funny. i really loved Malcolm in the Middle for a long time when it was still on, thought that was brilliant. watched alot of “House” n “Bones” too for a while. Just got done watching the “Dead Like Me” series on hulu which wasnt bad either.

Book wise,barring the comic variety, i've had a big hard on for “The Iliad” for a long time, hell i know i've fan-girled about it more than once on here so ill spare ya.also read “the stranger” by Albert Camus a wihle ago too and really liked the way that was written, i've been wanting to check out more of his stuff. H.P. Lovecraft's a treat too, bein a metalhead, i was bound to get an appreciation for him at some point.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:45PM
Chernobog at 4:36PM, Feb. 23, 2011
(offline)
For comics, I like some newspaper stuff like Beetle Bailey, Hagar, and Andy Capp. I don't across the board love manga for manga's sake, but I follow a few titles if something manages to break the oceans of formulaic stuff. Or at least if it's very creative, ala One Piece's zany but detailed world. I find a lot of stuff I read tends to get discontinued or ends a little too quickly, though.

I don't have any television, but I watch The Simpsons and Seth McFarlane shows. I haven't been wowed by any of them, but I have a soft spot for American Dad. Back when I had cable, I watched a lot of wildlife programs, science, and History channel.

Books… basically just the ‘classics’. Modern writing styles and content make me dry heave, sorry to say. 20,000 Leagues, The Good Earth, (especially) The Stranger, etc. That's my stuff. As such, I really don't read books anymore.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
I Am The 1337 Master at 5:19PM, Feb. 23, 2011
(offline)
Comics:
Strips with strong black and white art and good jokes.

“Programs”:
Adventure Time (because it's awesome)
Portlandia (this is a more recent one)
Monk
…and then a bunch of various children's television shows. Usually a bunch of comedy shows.

Books:
Richard Bachman's The Running Man
L. Frank Baum's The Wizard of Oz
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
and many others that are even less generic than the first and nowhere near as generic as the third.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
Genejoke at 12:14AM, Feb. 24, 2011
(online)
Comics
TWD
X-men and well a lot of marvel stuff
A lot of old british stuff
A lot of webcomics

TV
Current; House supernatural and twd
Looking forward to a game of thrones

Books
Various books by…
Isaac asimov
hp lovecraft
Peter f hamilton
Robert jordan
David gemmell
James barclay
Larry niven

currently reading the Grapes of wrath (very slowly as I don't find much time to read)

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:34PM
ozoneocean at 1:53AM, Feb. 24, 2011
(online)
I watch a number of TV shows online to help me work.
-Re-watching series 1 of Stoked.
-Re-watching Black Books series 2
-6-teen (by the same guys that did the Total Drama Island series and Stoked, love their animation work).
-QI
-The Big Bang Theory
-How I Met Your Mother. (god that's dumb, but that Doogie Houser guy is sot of funny)
-American Dad
-The Whitest Kids U Know
-30 Seconds
-Gavin and Stacey
-Posh Nosh
-The IT Crowd series 2
-Party Down
-30 Rock.

I read a bunch of books on my phone. Recently:
-Major Karnage (free book from Wowio)
-A Hero Of Our Time by Mikhail Lermontov. -Funny little highly ironic book about an absolute areshole. With one of the first ever mentions of the game of Russian Roulette (played with a single shot pistol of all things!)
-Everything ever written by Robert E Howard. I very much prefer him to his fellow contemporaries like Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith… Howard is so much more “human” and vital in style. Mainly the Conan stories though because those really are where he hit a strong note. (except Red Nails, that story was quite badly written and not up to par).
-And right this moment I'm reading Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome. Really quite funny! He does veer off into sentimental, bucolic, Victorian style reveres from time to time, but the funny stuff makes up for that and it's a good insight into the psyche of an ordinary urban man from that time.
His speculations on people in the year 2000 collecting old 19thC crappy kitsch and displaying in their houses and valuing as heirlooms is wonderfully prophetic and funny.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
Dodger at 10:38AM, Feb. 24, 2011
(online)
Comics: I like fusion styles, like manga mixed with american art. I'm also particularly drawn to European comics and they're variety of styles, like W.I.T.C.H. and Blacksad… I think i like the traditional coloring styles they use the most though, lol.

Tv Shows: Cartoons. @_@ My current list is:
-Regular Show (NEVER fails to make me laugh)
-Spongebob
-King of the Hill (I've seen every episode a few times, but I always catch something new every time I watch it.)
-American Dad
-Simpsons
-Symbiotic Titian
-Aqua Teen Hunger Force (also never fails to make me laugh)
-Metalocalypse

I also enjoy PBS show, like Nova, Antiques Road Show, and the old Britcoms they play on Saturday nights. I try to catch Downton Abbey when it's on, but my PBS takes it off and puts it back on with out announcing it. >>

I also like Law and Order SVU and Tosh.0

I watch a lot of tv. >>;;;

Books: I wish I read more, but I haven't had the time since high school. ) :
I do have a particular fondness for anything by JD Sailinger and books about the gilded age.

Koji Takahashi Stops the World, full color, updating Mondays
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 11:00AM, Feb. 24, 2011
(offline)
To Oz:
The Whitest Kids U Know Is completely ingenious.
But Stoked and 6Teen? Really?

To Dodger:
I like the look of Symbiotic sometimes but haven't gotten into it yet.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
Dodger at 3:24PM, Feb. 24, 2011
(online)
I Am The 1337 Master
To Dodger:
I like the look of Symbiotic sometimes but haven't gotten into it yet.

I only get CN while I'm at school so I haven't been able to catch the entire thing, but I'm loving what I've seen so far. : 3
I wish I could torrent it lol.

Koji Takahashi Stops the World, full color, updating Mondays
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM
Dave7 at 5:14PM, Feb. 24, 2011
(online)
Other than the webcomics here on DD, I don't really read that many printed comics (probably because I never have enough money to buy a continually ongoing series), and I don't really have any particulalry favorite style (I'm usually more interested in the story). I do like things in the horror and sci-fi genre, though, like Michael Alan Nelson's “The Fall of Cthulhu,” and the “Cthulhu Tales” series by various authors, which I usually buy as trades after I've saved up enough. Got to be honest though; I'm really NOT a big fan of manga style, although there are a few animes I actually like (Ghost in the Shell and Trigun for the win).

T.V.-wise, I don't really have any favorite type of programs- I'll usually watch either whatever's on Adult Swim or anything else that catches my interest (any good movies on at the time, etc.). I do like “Operation Repo” for some reason I can't explain, though.

As for books, I'm seriously into horror (H.P. Lovecraft is by far my single biggest literary influence) and sci-fi short stories and novels, especially the classics (I just finished reading “Lucifer's Hammer” by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell; gotta love the classics).
Post your concerns about the preview page! Support raw html! http://getsatisfaction.com/drunkduck/topics
]http://getsatisfaction.com/drunkduck/topics

“That is not dead can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons death may die.”
~H.P. Lovecraft

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
blindsk at 7:47PM, Feb. 24, 2011
(online)
Comics:

I'm actually not a fan of printed comics unless it's in book form. I just don't have any interest in reading them on a per-day basis, I'd rather just go buy one of their books that give me a large chunk of their work at once.

But between that and webcomics…webcomics reign supreme. I love how much more free webcomics can be, breaking boundaries that you would normally see in place for the printed ones. For instance, I love the topics that SMBC and ASP can peruse.

TV:

Non-traditional drama. Usually there's something added in to make it rather unique. Dexter is a good example.

Books:

Typically I'm drawn to older authors. Verne, Twain, Stevenson, Sir Doyle, Alcott - all these and more are enjoyable reads for me. Lately I've been reading some rather twisted, gripping ones though, for instance Black Dahlia. Good stuff.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
Mr Kaos at 1:59AM, May 7, 2011
(online)
Comics: i am a bookworm and read ALOT of comics. Marvel, DC, webcomics.
My favourite comic series is Usagi for the moment.

TV: Well. for the most it is only Mythbusters and the most in the discovery channel. not the reality tv though. i hate these.

Books:
Stephen King, Dean R. Koonzt, horror relatered books, Disc world books, fantasy books.

Guilt pleasure: Harry Potter.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved