Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Epic discussion: Post counts.
vgman at 5:16PM, July 26, 2007
(offline)
personaly ive never tried to spam. ive always tried to say somthing funny or relevent to the subject. post counts not really that big of a deal but if i ever get board i somtimes go to the biggest name listed and read their comic(s). thats about all it dose and if the post count didnt change name size id just pull a randome name out of the hat.

strong414bad
I find I can post in a discussion and have something important to say, yet still find my post is completely ignored by the people. Is it because of my tiny post count? Or am I just really boring?

man i thought only i felt like that. well slightly moded. i thought people didnt like me or thought i was stupid. (maby they do i dont know i cant read minds…. yet) any way ozone made a good move in moving this thread to GD. personaly i never go to TD for “intelligent,respectful discussion”
RIP TD :cry2:
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:40PM
Ozoneocean at 5:48PM, July 26, 2007
(online)
Hahahahaha! I have the biggest post count on the site as well as an Admin title and people still seem to ignore me in threads sometimes. It just happens to everybody in this forum no matter what.

In fact, it's a bad thing if people pay attention to what I post only because of the admin title (unless it's about something official), or because of the post count… The strength of your post should be what counts, as others have said.

As to why people seem to ignore you sometimes, I don't know. That's just how it is. Rest assured that if no one remarks on your post in their post, probably most people that came to the thread (and remember more people READ a thread than ever post in it) probably DID still read your post. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:27PM
Bekefel at 6:36PM, July 26, 2007
(offline)
You did this so people could see me acting a fool didn't you!

Fun aside, this was the most intelligent thing ever to step forth from the Drawer in a long time, and we owe it all to Aqua. Which is something I never thought I would say.

Fun aside for real this time, I don't respect anyone because of a high post count at all. I have seen people with a low post count, but they make great threads and have some good ideas and viewpoints on things, such as Fitz with that Lucid Dreams thread. Thats pretty intellectual stuff! Then you get someone like Cthulhu* who has a very high post count, but alot of it is spam. Sure he does sometimes say things that are actually relevant and beneficial to the conversation, but I think I can safely say most of his posts are Forum Game answers and just utter randomness! Not to single him out though, just using him as an example.

If I see someone make some kind of intellectual observation that it is actually pretty clever and actually has some good thought put into it, I will respect them. Although I also respect marine and all he ever says is “also cocks” but thats beside the point! Ozone has in excess of 7000 posts and as far as I can tell, virtually none of that is spam. He also puts his thoughts and opinions into most peoples threads, therefore he deserves to be respected. But the same would not apply to someone else with 7000 posts who only ever leaves irrelevant or pointless posts, with no intellect what so ever.

I rarely look at post count, I just think of how much that person has contributed to the forums with something good! Its the strength of the post that counts, quality over quantity as they say. There are people on this site, and I admit this, that I do sometimes ignore. Because I know what they say isn't going to be anything helpful to the thread. But thats a small minority of people.

(Usually who can't spell and have animated sprite avatars. …Kain…cough.)

One other thing, is that first impressions are everything around here. If you come into the forums shouting “w00t lol forums” and just leave dumb posts, people are going to remember you that way and perhaps not value your opinion as much if you actually tried to contribute later. The simple answer is never to act like a fool, something which I know I am guilty of on many accounts. Just remember, Bekefel does occasionally leave intelligent input!

And as someone who actually hangs around in the Top Drawer, not everyone there is as dumb and uncontributing as you think! Well…most of us aren't. Well…a few of us aren't. Why do I even go there? lol!

(I reply to you Ozone. :()
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:16AM
vgman at 7:07PM, July 26, 2007
(offline)
Bekefel
(Usually who can't spell and have animated sprite avatars. …Kain…cough.)

is spelling REALLY that big of a deal. i cant spell but if you where to ask my english teachers they will tell you that while i have horrible spelling and penmenship they will tell you that my vocabulary skills are advanced and my oral presentations are always excelent (thank god you TYPE over the internet or no one would ever understand me). most of my freinds cant spell either but that dosent bug me at all. and when im playing games or reading posts in threads i normaly read over the errors without giveing it a second thought. there are some major errors that stop me but for the most part even if a word is misspelled so long as you can make out what it is its really not that big of a deal is it?

the whole thing of “the strength of your post should be what counts” is a good idea so i ask you to consider this:
ive always thought that its not what you say or how you say it (in this case spell it) but what you mean by saying it.
RIP TD :cry2:
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:40PM
Cthulhu at 7:13PM, July 26, 2007
(online)
Bekefel
Then you get someone like Cthulhu* who has a very high post count, but alot of it is spam. Sure he does sometimes say things that are actually relevant and beneficial to the conversation, but I think I can safely say most of his posts are Forum Game answers and just utter randomness!
Hypocrite.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:57AM
strong414bad at 8:15PM, July 26, 2007
(online)
vgman
is spelling REALLY that big of a deal. i cant spell but if you where to ask my english teachers they will tell you that while i have horrible spelling and penmenship they will tell you that my vocabulary skills are advanced and my oral presentations are always excelent (thank god you TYPE over the internet or no one would ever understand me). most of my freinds cant spell either but that dosent bug me at all. and when im playing games or reading posts in threads i normaly read over the errors without giveing it a second thought. there are some major errors that stop me but for the most part even if a word is misspelled so long as you can make out what it is its really not that big of a deal is it?

the whole thing of “the strength of your post should be what counts” is a good idea so i ask you to consider this:
ive always thought that its not what you say or how you say it (in this case spell it) but what you mean by saying it.

Generally, good spelling does two things.

1. It shows people that you're somewhat intelligent.
2. It shows people that you put enough time into your posts to make sure there are no typos.

Sure, the content of the post matters the most, but bad spelling means that there's a better chance of the post being low-quality, which means I may not read it.

No offense.
Why hello there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:59PM
Cthulhu at 8:18PM, July 26, 2007
(online)
If spelling is a big thing, then I should be “respected”. But I'm not. End of story. Spelling doesn't matter.
silentkitty at 8:30PM, July 26, 2007
(offline)
To be honest, spelling is important to me when I'm reading a post. It's not to say I'll completely disregard a post because of a few typos or mistakes, but when I can hardly read it because every word is spelled wrong or shortened into internet shorthand, I will probably skim or skip it entirely.

On the other hand, I won't pay more attention to someone because they spell everything correctly. I'll just pay less if it seems like they don't even bother to try.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:37PM
Terminal at 8:35PM, July 26, 2007
(online)
Cthulhu
If spelling is a big thing, then I should be “respected”. But I'm not. End of story. Spelling doesn't matter.

yes it does whearas a post with great meaing could be igrnoed by various types of people!!! just cause the spelling isnt so great. everyones perception of the internet is this if sum poster types something with horrid grammar then they are more likley to be ignored cuz ppl with automatically assume thta they are idiots not matter whut they have to say. tis steretype is shuned into ur heads cause of all the ppl that write in a bad grammar and whose posts are of every low qualaity.

its the simple concept of presentation
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:11PM
SteveMyers22 at 11:20PM, July 26, 2007
(offline)
AQua_ng
Does a high post count mean that you are respected in the forums?

Post count means nothing to me. Never has. I'm wordy. And chatty. And sometimes post happy. So I sometimes get high post counts in forums I frequent. But if I don't care about my own post count, why would I care about someone else's?

– Steve Myers, Creator of The Adventures of Superchum on Drunk Duck, and at Superchum.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:58PM
Hapoppo at 7:06AM, July 27, 2007
(online)
Like SK, I never really look at post counts unless my attention is deliberately drawn to it. I think it's just fine where it is, though - it can serve its purpose for someone to say in their 1,000th post, “Hey, lookit me! I made 1,000 posts!”, but it's not so overglorified that it endorses spamming.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:42PM
Bekefel at 7:21AM, July 27, 2007
(offline)
Termy
yes it does whearas a post with great meaing could be igrnoed by various types of people!!! just cause the spelling isnt so great. everyones perception of the internet is this if sum poster types something with horrid grammar then they are more likley to be ignored cuz ppl with automatically assume thta they are idiots not matter whut they have to say. tis steretype is shuned into ur heads cause of all the ppl that write in a bad grammar and whose posts are of every low qualaity.

its the simple concept of presentation

GTFO.

SK
To be honest, spelling is important to me when I'm reading a post. It's not to say I'll completely disregard a post because of a few typos or mistakes, but when I can hardly read it because every word is spelled wrong or shortened into internet shorthand, I will probably skim or skip it entirely.

On the other hand, I won't pay more attention to someone because they spell everything correctly. I'll just pay less if it seems like they don't even bother to try.

I have to agree, generally those with intelligence would spell things correctly and use punctuation and things. Put it this was, would you value me more if I said:

I wholeheartedly agree with that opinion stated by Silent Kitty, I would pay more attention to people if they typed properly and actually looked like they put some effort into their post on the matter.

Or:

i relli agree with wat sk is sayding!!! i wud pay more attetion to ppl if dey typed proply and tryed with ther posts

Obvious really.

Cthulhu
Hypocrite.

Old Bekefel is gone, this is new Bekefel. Pleased to meet you.
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:16AM
notlikelytocare at 8:04AM, July 27, 2007
(online)
Bekefel
Did this thread really give you a change of heart? wow. I have no idea what to say about that.

but on another note, do you want to try what we were discussing earlier? If so I'll start the thread, and see if theres any way in hell it will work.
My avatar is tiny because I'm compensating.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:17PM
joeychips at 8:19AM, July 27, 2007
(online)
I rarely look at post count or when someone joined. The numbers are to small for me to read without zooming up the page size and then everything else is way too big. That said, I don't have much interest in those numbers. I joined Drunk Duck to be part of a refreshing community.
Joe Chiappetta
www.SillyDaddy.net
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
Black_Kitty at 8:20AM, July 27, 2007
(online)
I confess to not reading the whole thread but I just want to give my two cents about spelling.

I'm a horrific speller. However the Internet revolves around written communication. You certainly can't hear this post, you're actually reading it. So I try my best to be reasonable in my spelling and grammar. There are online dictionaries and I've installed a spellchecker so that the computer can check my post for spelling errors.

I wouldn't completely disregard a post if it has a typo or some spelling errors in it but too many spelling/grammar errors really make a post hard for me to read. (This is why I dislike L33T so much.) It can also have a tendency to age you. Most people associate poor spelling and grammar to younger posters.

Sure a meaning of the post is important but you're doing a great disservice to yourself if you can't be bothered to press the shift key more often or check your post for spelling errors.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:24AM
Cthulhu at 8:40AM, July 27, 2007
(online)
notlikelytocare
Bekefel
Did this thread really give you a change of heart? wow. I have no idea what to say about that.
I already, in this very thrend
Now that I've reached my goal (yay.) I'm going to be more serious and… *never spam again.

Except in the spam thrend. But it's allowed there, so isn't spamming there the right thing to do? Is it spamming to create a topic, and be on topic?

* For realz.
Beke, you idea-stealer.
TheMidge28 at 9:33AM, July 27, 2007
(online)
Expressing oneself through text over the internet has got to be very hard…in way a throw back to letters being written and mailed and then waiting for return coorespondence….in an age where image is important it takes a lot to put yourself out there and the only thing to tell or show people who you are is the written/typed word. Not many people put a lot of thought into it. Type away… Stop. Think what your typing. Ask yourself, "How will someone read this?"

You don't have your funny voice or facial expressions to make someone laugh or understand where you are coming from. All you have is words. Good Luck.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:20PM
AQua_ng at 10:48AM, July 27, 2007
(offline)
While I agree with your statement about the difficulty of expressing oneself through text, I'm afraid you might not be seeing the slightly bugger pictures. The Internet has enabled us to not express ourselves through words, but with pictures, videos, sound and even through the subtle use of italics.

But of course, this is the Internet, where knowledge and intelligence gets locked up in a cage while we revert to using capital letters to get our point across.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:56AM
TheMidge28 at 10:54AM, July 27, 2007
(online)
AQua_ng
While I agree with your statement about the difficulty of expressing oneself through text, I'm afraid you might not be seeing the slightly bugger pictures. The Internet has enabled us to not express ourselves through words, but with pictures, videos, sound and even through the subtle use of italics.

But of course, this is the Internet, where knowledge and intelligence gets locked up in a cage while we revert to using capital letters to get our point across.

I guess I meant toward posting in the forums; i.e. answering and asking questions, the dialogue,… where it is primarily a textual format.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:20PM
marine at 10:57AM, July 27, 2007
(offline)
I feel like Bill O'Riley must feel. I say so much and yell at people about topics I don't know anything about but still have opinions on…

I'm just going to do what I do and keep doing it. People will listen. Who cares.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:52PM
TnTComic at 11:56AM, July 27, 2007
(offline)
Postcounts, spelling, avatars… eh. Doesn't matter to me. But I do get a bit annoyed at people with overly elaborate signatures.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:31PM
Insane Angelic at 3:02PM, July 27, 2007
(offline)
Hm….. Post counts doesn't really matters to me. But usually when I see a high post count I go, “Wow! this guy/girl must been here for like - random number- years!” and then I went about my normal buiness.

I never gave it much thought…
When I visit a place I liked so much, I usually have a high post count- or post lot in a single day…
I rarely spams since I don't find enjoyment in it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:00PM
maritalbliss at 6:57PM, July 28, 2007
(online)
AQua_ng
Serious business now guys, serious faces on.

Does a high post count mean that you are respected in the forums? I was wondering, if post counts were taken away from viewing, will it all be better? Is it quality or quantity that matter?

In my opinion, a high post count has some part to play on how other people see you as a user at a first galnce. However, when they see you just posting utter garbage, that high post count may count against you.

What did you think?

Great questions. I think yes and no. I mean sometimes…if I answer something and someone is snarky to me, I'm all like—who is that??? They have six posts, oh…hells noooo. Which is silly, but alas…true nonetheless. I much prefer the quality over quantity, which seems to exist for the most part in these here forums…Overall, people are pretty good about reading ahead and makin' sure their topics are unique…At least I think so.

A bit off topic, but relevant.

These are some things I have found to be true:
1. If I don't contribute to discussions and posts that I start—they last longer.
2. I get annoyed by frivolous posters and usually won't visit their comic.
3. If someone is rude for the sake of just startin' trouble instead of allowing someone to have a different opinion…If they have a lot of posts, I'll check out their profile; if they only have a few, I dismiss them as jerks.

On the spelling…If you have a ton of miscellaneous misspellings; I'm not gonna' read ‘yo comic. That’s just the way it is. I can forgive easily misspelled, or when it's obvious the person was typing fast; but, blatant laziness or ignorance is unacceptable to what I deem worthy of my time. (Just my opinion: Smiles and joyjoy hugs.)

As for people not respondin' to certain threads…I think it's just luck of the draw. Sometimes, I'll start a topic and before you know it–4 pages and 50ish responses. Then I'll spend 15 minutes composin' a post and nothin'. You can hear the crickets chirpin'. I don't take it personally and I don't think anyone else should either.

(Now, Fern has me wonderin'. I've been really busy the last few weeks and really have only had time to welcome newbies…Has there been a lot of spam lately?)

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:53PM
Poke Alster at 9:22AM, Oct. 29, 2007
(offline)
Post counts do matter as people think more of you
however joined date does not
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
ShadowDion at 11:38AM, Oct. 29, 2007
(offline)
hmmm,
I would like to say that post count doesn't matter to me, and that I don't look at it but that isn't really true. honestly, i have found that when i first started posting that i generally understood who was respected, liked or disliked and from that made my own opinions. but I don't think post count had much to it. so i guess I will say that I don't really give anymore respect, per se, or feel they are pathetic because they have posted as much (or as little) as they do.
I wouldn't want it removed though, as I find it to be an interesting fact. I think there is some hierarchy established, and the more posts one has, the better that person is know, whether it is understand that they are oversensitive, riddiculous, thoughtful, etc. I think there is some repesct given to those with
good posts, whether they be poigiantly funny, accurate, or interesting.
so i think subconsciously, post counts are considered, but really in the end, respect comes from the quality of posts, not necessarily the quanity.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
Rutger at 1:47PM, Oct. 29, 2007
(offline)
Ozone once described me as ‘a maniac on speed and Red Bull’, concerning my post count and the speed it was rising. Sure enough, I've been here for a fairly short while and I've crossed the 1000 line yesterday, but most of the time I try to contribute to the discussion.

As for the spelling bit, I for one usually try to clean up my posts before hitting the send button. People who don't usually come off as blatant fucktards, especially when both interpunction and grammar are being shot to Hell. Add to that the air of the person thinking him- or herself to be amazingly awesome, it's just annoying. Some of you might know who I'm using as an example here.

K.A.L.A.-dan! rutGAR desu!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:13PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon