Media Megaforum

Epically acclaimed things you just don't get.
bravo1102 at 8:11AM, Jan. 3, 2011
(online)
Faliat's point about lost in Translation brings me to the epic fil family I don't get and who are always acclaimed as being so awesomely epic.

The Coppolas. Francis Ford and Sophia are awful directors. Francis Ford Coppola can't tell a story and only ever made a handful of decent movies the rest being self-indulgent pieces of garbage. The making of Apoloclypse Now is an epic the movie itself is crap. Francis Ford Coppola needs a good producer to keep tight rein on him. There just aren't enough Roger Corman's or Irving Thalberg's to go around these days. Maybe one of them could have saved the world from Sophia Coppola's latest film which will only find an audience among New York art house types and everyone else will fall asleep as nothing happens.

I'm gonna blow $12 to watch a conversation I could be having with my siblings and mother for free? At least get a better dinner than overpriced stale popcorn and watered down Coke.

Coppola did such great work with Roger Corman.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:34AM
elektro at 9:30AM, Jan. 3, 2011
(online)
Freegurt
Rocky Horror Picture Show. Just…what the hell? I really tried to watch it, but I kept getting bored and wanted to do something more exciting the whole time. I couldn't find any plot in it and when I tried to make sense of it, I just ended up falling asleep. I didn't think the songs were catchy enough to warrant me listening.

All in all, I thought it was boring and made no sense.

I only saw this movie once, and as much as I didn't really like it (I thought it was nonsensical and stupid), I will say that this is not one of those movies that you watch by yourself. This is one of those movies that's so much better at a midnight screening in a crappy theater with about 50 other people in the audience. Most of the screenings at said theaters are to mock the movie, much like the midnight screenings of such movie “classics” like Plan 9, The Room, and Troll 2.

In other words, I think everyone who sees this film knows it's a bad movie, but the fun is the experience in the theater, not the film itself.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
ozoneocean at 9:55AM, Jan. 3, 2011
(online)
elektro
In other words, I think everyone who sees this film knows it's a bad movie, but the fun is the experience in the theater, not the film itself.
Not quite. The film definitely is not bad, it was crafted to be exactly the way it is. It's a cult film, supposed to be experienced with other people playing along, because it's the film adaption of a musical stage-play where the audience would naturally participate. That's what they're doing, not mocking it.
You'd have to be pretty dim to mock it since it's not serious to begin with.

————-

One thing I don't get is all the admiration for Dame Judy Dench. She's a decent actor, buts must of the time she's just doing herself in every role, it's nothing exceptional.
And she looks like a wicked old she-cat that whizzed under your bed, left a dead rat on your doormat and ate her own kittens.
Plus, in a radio adaption of The Importance of Being Earnest playing Lady Bracknell, she did not do the famous "A handbag?" line with the customary supercilious emphasis. Any actor who thenk's they're too big to do that properly is a complete and utter cock

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
bravo1102 at 9:56AM, Jan. 3, 2011
(online)
elektro
Freegurt
Rocky Horror Picture Show. Just…what the hell? I really tried to watch it, but I kept getting bored and wanted to do something more exciting the whole time. I couldn't find any plot in it and when I tried to make sense of it, I just ended up falling asleep. I didn't think the songs were catchy enough to warrant me listening.

The show is a decent campy musical. If you're not into camp you won't like it and won't get it. That being said once you get past the people dressing up and the whole atmosphere of a midnight showing it's the soundtrack and all about the soundtrack. It also has special appeal to that 1970s-80s generation. Those of us who remember when classic rock meant Bill Haley and the Comets and Meatloaf was that new guy on the radio.

Ha-patootie I really love that rock n roll!

elektro at 10:38AM, Jan. 3, 2011
(online)
Maybe I should clarify what I meant when I say “bad” movie. To me, there are different degrees of “bad” movie. There's either the incompetently made, godawfully boring, or just downright stupid film with no redeeming qualities (stuff like the evil _____ Movies come to mind there), or the film that is so hilariously over-the-top and campy that there is no way to take it seriously. Rocky Horror is definitely the latter.

However, despite the massive audience participation that goes on at one of these screenings (which, admittedly, I've never been to but wouldn't mind going to if someone invited me), the movie itself is a very love-it-or-hate-it film. Some people will love it because of its campiness, others will hate it for the same reasons. I would be in the middle, as I didn't find the movie all that interesting, and I'm not a big fan of musicals to begin with. Of course, I've never seen it live, so if that ever occurs, my opinion would change.

And just so people don't think that I don't understand camp, one of my favorite films of all time is Army of Darkness, which is a very, very campy film.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
mlai at 8:36PM, Jan. 3, 2011
(online)
Disclaimer: I've never read the comic Wanted.

However, just the basic premise and plot summary as can be read on Wiki, is **already** 10x better than the movie. Considering the movie's plot is nothing more than its shallow and idiotic hackjob premise, me not having read the comic does not affect anything. Maybe the comic's art sucks, I dunno.

How does having a guy getting reamed up the ass, make Wanted a bad comic in itself?

As for Jolie… I do get that she can act. I don't get why she's (still) a sex symbol.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
lefarce at 9:27PM, Jan. 3, 2011
(online)
mlai
How does having a guy getting reamed up the ass, make Wanted a bad comic in itself?

I may not have been too clear about this, but the dude getting rammed up the ass is you, for buying the book. It even more or less states that at the very end. It is Millars belief that you're pathetic, and an idiot for giving him money, and that he enjoys “fuck(ing) you up the ass.”

If I'm going to sit down, with a gun to my head, and pick which piece of dogshit I like better… probably going with the one that doesn't dance around and tell me to get fucked. I'm aware how stupid that reasoning is.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
bravo1102 at 6:22AM, Jan. 4, 2011
(online)
mlai
As for Jolie… I do get that she can act. I don't get why she's (still) a sex symbol.

I think it might go back to her steamy and kinky relationship with Billy Bob Thornton. Or maybe it's because she looks like an edgy somewhat dangerous Audrey Hepburn with tatoos?

But when it comes to sex symbols there is no logic or formula. Theda Bara and Jean Harlow weren't that OMG hawt. Marilyn Monroe looked absolutely frumpy and dumpy in some of her roles and I never understood the facination with her until I saw Gentlemen Prefer Blondes Then there was Betty Grable. Huh? That picture isn't that interesting compared to others I've seen and then I screened a couple of her movies and I got it. It wasn't just those legs. It's what she could do with those legs.

Don't know if I'd compare Sam Raimi camp to Rocky Horror. Raimi is doing parody and is more satirical than Rocky Horror. Raimi uses classic routines from the Three Stooges and some great one-liners. Would never see Frank-N-furter warn the people about his boomstick and be waving around a shotgun. Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun. Sam Raimi is like John Carpenter They Live, or Return of the living Dead and Rocky horror is like Le Cage aux Folles or To Wong Foo

Ain't the same kind of camp. ;)
lefarce at 11:54AM, Jan. 4, 2011
(online)
Joli is really irritating to me, and I cannot put my finger on why. Oddly, I liked her a lot in Hackers, which is saying a lot considering what kind of movie that was.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
ozoneocean at 3:06PM, Jan. 4, 2011
(online)
lefarce
I liked her a lot in Hackers, which is saying a lot considering what kind of movie that was.
Same. It's the only film I like her in.

The laptops in that movie are hilarious.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved