Debate and Discussion

essential liberty
Aurora Moon at 7:34PM, March 22, 2006
(offline)
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~Ben Franklin~

What are “essential liberties”? or what do you consider to be “your” essential liberties?

freedom? how much freedom should you have, what “type” of freedoms (speech, religion, etc) and freedom from whom?

the persuit of happiness? is that an essential liberty? what if killing made you happy?

any others?
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM
Jillers at 8:34AM, March 23, 2006
(offline)
It may just be my personal opinion, but, I think everyone puts too much empashis on the “Freedom” rights, and not enough on the fact that no one's allowed to bias us against using the freedoms.

Amendment IX:
“The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.”

It's also my opinion that people take the word freedom too damn literal - so they cna sy what they want, when they want, who they want to. Which… you can… but with that there comes the responsibility to choose whether or not you say anything at all. Really, the fact that we have these freedoms means that we are given the right to choose.
We are given the right to choose to not be a certain religion.
We are given the right to choose to not speak out against the president.
We are given the right to choose to not own a gun.
We are givent eh right to choose.

And choosing, I think, is the most important of freedoms - being able to choose is the most basic of human liberties really.

I don't even want to touch that last one - because to me it's one of those arguments that go around and around.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
marine at 10:49AM, March 23, 2006
(offline)
I have the freedom to do anything I want, but I have to realize that no matter what I do there are consequances for my actions. Thusly, I am free to become an astronaught, a messaih, a great cartoonist, a superhero, or just be a crackhead.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
Aurora Moon at 10:37PM, March 23, 2006
(offline)
it's certainly true that with certain freedom of things that responsiblity comes along with it.

like people have the right to be an total asshole, but they also have the responsiblity to expect being beat up for being an asshole, lol.

just like how you may be expected to be arrested for yelling “fire” in an crowded building, because when people panic and stamade, a lot of people get hurt.

so basically there are certain things you can't do, not simply because of common deceny, but also for safety of others.

But I wasn't talking about the type of freedoms where you could do anything you wanted.

I was speaking more gerenally about rights and laws, per see. which right do you have that is the most important to you? which law do you deem more important to your life as a whole?
I'm on hitatus while I redo one of my webcomics. Be sure to check it out when I'n done! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:09AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved