Debate and Discussion

Extra-Terrestrial Civilizations...
StaceyMontgomery at 2:49PM, Oct. 31, 2007
(offline)
Thanks Mlai - I was wondering where those numbers came from.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
heymelby at 3:22PM, Oct. 31, 2007
(online)
StaceyMontgomery
Just as when we check the DNA of humans and chimpanzees and… dogs, and discover that they are all closely related. Lots of species are closely related. If Dogs and humans came from separate creations, why would their DNA show them to be cousins?

It's amazing that we can't talk about anything on these message boards without the subject of creationism coming up. I look forward to the day one of you creationists makes a falsifiable statement. That's the day you'll start doing science.

In your first point that i quote above the “cousins” theory was inferred from a fairly crude technique called DNA hybridization where small parts of human DNA are split into single strands and allowed to reform double strands (duplex) with chimp DNA. However, there are various reasons why DNA does or does not hybridize, only one of which is degree of similarity (homology). Consequently, this somewhat arbitrary figure is not used by those working in molecular homology (other parameters, derived from the shape of the curve, are used). Why has the claim been popularised then? One can only guess that it served the purpose of evolutionary indoctrination of the scientifically illiterate.

Random gene shuffling within the species only produces new varieties and breeds. The DNA code barrier is not penetrated. Transformations across the species barrier never occur. New varieties end in new breeds is not evolution; it is only variation within the already existing species.

Whatever we may try to do within a given species, we soon reach limits which we cannot break through. A wall exists on every side of each species. That wall is the DNA coding, which permits wide variety within it (within the gene pool, or the genotype of a species) but no exit through that wall. i.e a cow and a pig cannot have children

And as to your second statement i quote, there is a reason why creationist staments are not falsifiable..they are not false!
Don't be a hater!

Since we are throing around websites here is a good one

http://evolution-facts.org/EncyclopediaTOC.htm

it's huge resourse for anyone looking for hard evidence about science, it's all quoted and referenced with bibliographies for you skeptics
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:48PM
ozoneocean at 3:38PM, Oct. 31, 2007
(online)
Heymelby, I appreciate you've got a thing here for creationism, but it's sort of hijaking this thread a bit. ;)
Maybe you could start a new thread specifically about creationisim? That'd be the best way to go.

Keep this thread for the aliens eh? :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
mlai at 3:43PM, Oct. 31, 2007
(online)
Let's just ignore my statement about bird speciation across distance, shall we?

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
bobhhh at 4:49PM, Oct. 31, 2007
(offline)
kingofsnake
I'm just saying that the hypothesis posed by this paticular forum topic was

“space is so big that it's incredibly unlikely that intelligent civilization hasn't developed somewhere else in the universe.”

and I'm saying that the hypothesis is false, because life evolving AT ALL is such a slim probability that even in the vastness of space the odds are against it, and even if on another planet it bucked the probability and life did evolve theres absolutely NO reason to suspect that another planet's evolution would result in intelligent life, rather than anything else. A highly developed brain is not the forgone conclusion of eons of evolution.

I'm not saying that I know for sure that theres no intelligent alien life, I'm just saying it's 1)unlikely for life to exist at all and 2)even more unlikely that they would be intelligent

Actually the hypothesis is just that, you can quibble with the argument, but you can't disallow the possibility by calling it false without providing evidence to the contrary. Your arguments have just about as much merit as the original hypothesis, and yet I will not declare wholesale that you are wrong.
heymelby
[And as to your second statement i quote, there is a reason why creationist staments are not falsifiable..they are not false!
Don't be a hater!
And we really don't want to devolve into a creation/evolution debate here do we, because then you have lots of splainin' to do Lucy, because creationism has even less factual corroboration than the original hypothesis which is merely a statistical investigation, a discussion of probability.

I'm not going to declare you or anyone wrong in such a subjective discussion, lets just share shall we?
My name is Bob and I approved this signature.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:29AM
CharleyHorse at 4:12PM, Nov. 1, 2007
(offline)
Here's a randomly selected educated guesstimate of the number of stars in our universe. I didn't bookmark the url because it seems that any dozen samplings produce a dozen different numbers sets. I know that none of my astronomy texts come remotely close to agreeing on this subject. Still, it's another way at examining the top post's questions.

Someone
. . there are 70 sextillion stars in the visible universe, or some 70 thousand million million million.

. . . . . . counting the stars in our own Milky Way Galaxy. The figure is typically put at between 100 billion and 300 billion.

Okay, what strikes me as significant are the dual estimates of our home galaxy at between 100 and 300 billion and our universe at 70 sextillion. I should think that even the ‘what are the odds of life itself much less intelligent life?’ naysayers would pause in uneasy contemplation of such numbers.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say; “Yes, Virginia, there is other life in this universe and very likely intelligent life at that.”

So what, though? If out there then we are either still too technologically primitive to detect technological traces or we are arrogantly or blindly assuming that an alien intelligent species would naturally have an interest in casting technologically orientated chaff to the cosmos.

But let's push the ‘what if’ game a step further. By golly we have discovered a relatively nearby, intelligent and equivalently technologically developed life form. So what's next? Well, once the two thirds of our world population naturally given to knee-jerk hysteria got over their terror and phobias, we would probably begin cautiously trying to establish a form of useful communications.

Meanwhile the rabidly xenophobic among our population would begin working a long term and ruthless plan to take over the governments of our world so as to begin pouring zillions of dollars – or whatever - into horrendous weapons of mass destruction and on developing a FTL cheat means of getting said death-loads near enough to the Satan-Spawned alien life form to eradicate them from the universe . . . and would probably manage to do just that except . . .

To commit the woeful logic error of assuming that an intelligent alien species must think just like us - only be ugly and EVIL - Well . . . once the two thirds of THEIR world population naturally given to knee-jerk hysteria got over their terror and phobias . . .

So what if this scenario works and it becomes a horse race to see which species can eradicate the other one first? Are we having fun yet?

last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
bobhhh at 5:15PM, Nov. 1, 2007
(offline)
CharleyHorse
Here's a randomly selected educated guesstimate of the number of stars in our universe. I didn't bookmark the url because it seems that any dozen samplings produce a dozen different numbers sets. I know that none of my astronomy texts come remotely close to agreeing on this subject. Still, it's another way at examining the top post's questions.

Someone
. . there are 70 sextillion stars in the visible universe, or some 70 thousand million million million.

. . . . . . counting the stars in our own Milky Way Galaxy. The figure is typically put at between 100 billion and 300 billion.

Okay, what strikes me as significant are the dual estimates of our home galaxy at between 100 and 300 billion and our universe at 70 sextillion. I should think that even the ‘what are the odds of life itself much less intelligent life?’ naysayers would pause in uneasy contemplation of such numbers.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say; “Yes, Virginia, there is other life in this universe and very likely intelligent life at that.”

So what, though? If out there then we are either still too technologically primitive to detect technological traces or we are arrogantly or blindly assuming that an alien intelligent species would naturally have an interest in casting technologically orientated chaff to the cosmos.

But let's push the ‘what if’ game a step further. By golly we have discovered a relatively nearby, intelligent and equivalently technologically developed life form. So what's next? Well, once the two thirds of our world population naturally given to knee-jerk hysteria got over their terror and phobias, we would probably begin cautiously trying to establish a form of useful communications.

Meanwhile the rabidly xenophobic among our population would begin working a long term and ruthless plan to take over the governments of our world so as to begin pouring zillions of dollars – or whatever - into horrendous weapons of mass destruction and on developing a FTL cheat means of getting said death-loads near enough to the Satan-Spawned alien life form to eradicate them from the universe . . . and would probably manage to do just that except . . .

To commit the woeful logic error of assuming that an intelligent alien species must think just like us - only be ugly and EVIL - Well . . . once the two thirds of THEIR world population naturally given to knee-jerk hysteria got over their terror and phobias . . .

So what if this scenario works and it becomes a horse race to see which species can eradicate the other one first? Are we having fun yet?

Wow..paranoid. Anyway to take your hysteria to the next logical conclusion, What's the diference between what you're descirbing and what's going on now between ourselves?

Only the absence of Wookies and Vulcans from what I can see.

I don't think the point is to go all sci fi about the consequences, I just think the original question is about probability, and I think given the immensity of the cosmos, it's easier to say that somes things are possible than to prove they aren't.
CharleyHorse at 6:17PM, Nov. 1, 2007
(offline)
Absolutely bobhhh! I agree both that my scenario was paranoid in nature, although based on a cynical understanding of recent U.S. history, and that I slapped a fantasy scenario speculation onto the original top-post's speculation. Sorry about that, I just couldn't help myself.

The silliness of my scenario is due to the fact that we can't possibly arrive at an accurate guess as to the nature of first detection, much less first contact and post contacts - if, indeed, any ever do occur. So in reality, anything and everything from best case scenario to worst case scenario is fair game.

I tell you, though, I hold in deep respect all the people involved in the effort to detect alien life, from microbe level to civilizations. It's one example of what the best of humanity can do, if the naysayers will just squeeze a trifling amount of funding from their perennial love affair of warfare and self-centered skulduggery in general.

But then there I go again, getting off topic AND painting with an unfairly broad brush those people unwilling to support the adequate funding of research projects. It's the dramatist in me.

To bring things back around to the topic, however; I am certain that life itself in basic and not so basic forms are relatively abundant throughout the universe, and that intelligent life - for any given definition of intelligent - is also relatively abundant.

bongotezz at 6:36PM, Nov. 3, 2007
(offline)
kingofsnake
aspect of this. the probabilies I presented (whatever they were 1 to 2.68 * 10^268) is the probability that the chemicals and amino acids that compose the essential building blocks of single strand RNA self-replicators would randomly combine into one of the very few correct sequences to form one of these self-replicators.

i think the reason you think this combination is unlikely is because of the numbers you quoted 1 to 2.68 * 10^268. i dont doubt that the numbers might be accurate. i think you're imagining these combinations being tried 1 at a time. in reality with a prmordial soup the size of the Earth's oceans these combinations could have all happened at the same time.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:32AM
bbr at 4:59AM, Nov. 5, 2007
(online)
Do they exist? almost guaranteed
Do they know we exist? very possible
Have we been in contact with any? probably

How likely do you think god / jesus / several biblical characters are not from this planet? its not impossible.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
n_y_japlander at 7:31AM, Nov. 5, 2007
(offline)
Most of us here draw NON real comics…. so why are most of you using carbon based earth for your standard of life?
Look up! If we humans are the only things in all that space…. then why?
Less than 300 years ago, man was sailing the globe. now we are shooting in space, talking on our cell phones, and transmitting 001000100000100001 across space! Where did this technology come from?
Us war hungry humans? Dang, we can't even get along with beings of the same race, let alone invent anything that would help, not harm mand kind.
No sir, this technology came from out side our world…
I'm not one to write big long speeches, nor look up and hyper link any helpfull info to back me up, just try to think outside of what you see…
I do remember hearing about a meteor, that had a fossil of what looked like a potato bug in it. It was from out side our galaxy…

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:19PM
bbr at 7:48AM, Nov. 5, 2007
(online)
n_y_japlander
I do remember hearing about a meteor, that had a fossil of what looked like a potato bug in it. It was from out side our galaxy…

That shape was discarded as just being an odd shape of dirt i believe.
ozoneocean at 9:04AM, Nov. 5, 2007
(online)
n_y_japlander
No sir, this technology came from out side our world…
That's a strange rationale… The tech we have now, on balance, is bad for us. -it needs mining and destruction of environments on a gigantic scale, causing pollution so severe it's believed to be responsible for changing the climate of the entire planet, it makes war easier, it also makes the spread of humanity and the increase in population easier which again, is bad for the human race as a whole…

But none of it was a massive, unprecedented Jump. All our current tech has quite ordinary and clearly traceable, boring routes. It's just that with the better communication and bigger, stabler countries in the 19th and 20th centuries, those factors sped up the development of all tech.

Though I agree about the water, carbon and oxygen thing being limited. We know that silicon forms similar bonds to carbon… And maybe life could exist even within a sun for example?

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:28PM
bbr at 9:17AM, Nov. 5, 2007
(online)
Silicon based life should certainly be possible.
it'd just live in a much different time perception from our own, silicon being a fairly rigid material.

Perhaps a plant of sorts could be silicon based.

Or indeed something as hot as a sun where the silicon could exist in a liquid phase.
bobhhh at 10:41AM, Nov. 5, 2007
(offline)
bbr
Silicon based life should certainly be possible.
it'd just live in a much different time perception from our own, silicon being a fairly rigid material.

Perhaps a plant of sorts could be silicon based.

Or indeed something as hot as a sun where the silicon could exist in a liquid phase.

You mean like the Horta??? :)
bbr at 2:33PM, Nov. 5, 2007
(online)
What on earth is a horta ?
o_O
CharleyHorse at 5:51PM, Nov. 5, 2007
(offline)
The Horta is a fictional silicon-based life form introduced on the original Star Trek television show. I think it was the chemist and science fiction writer, Issac Asimov, who insisted that silicon life was the only rational competitor for carbon-based life forms, at least from the standpoint that such was theoretically possible. Of course Asimov was a bit of a rogue and may have lifted the concept at some sci-fi convention for all I know.
n_y_japlander at 12:54AM, Nov. 6, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
That's a strange rationale… The tech we have now, on balance, is bad for us. -it needs mining and destruction of environments on a gigantic scale, causing pollution so severe it's believed to be responsible for changing the climate of the entire planet, it makes war easier, it also makes the spread of humanity and the increase in population easier which again, is bad for the human race as a whole…

But none of it was a massive, unprecedented Jump. All our current tech has quite ordinary and clearly traceable, boring routes. It's just that with the better communication and bigger, stabler countries in the 19th and 20th centuries, those factors sped up the development of all tech.

Though I agree about the water, carbon and oxygen thing being limited. We know that silicon forms similar bonds to carbon… And maybe life could exist even within a sun for example?

To clear my veiw up…. (using few big words as possible)
It is very dificult for my feeble mind to fathom the huge leap in technology from the transistor tubes to the modern micro processor… then the massive size reduction in the micro processor to what we have today!
I can fathom steam engines, and gas burning engines, but the computer controled ones of today in the very short 121 years (1886 was the 1st gas burning car) boggles the brain.
Not all inventions are doomed tools of hell, but… look at the road that we as men are taking with the technology in our grasp!
Even the helpful inventions (computers, advanced toys, and such) man still finds ways of using them as evil tools… So, I only hope that man is NOT the only intelligent life form…. that would suck!

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:19PM
cartoonprofessor at 4:23AM, Nov. 6, 2007
(online)
If the Universe/Multiverse is so astronomically huge there must be a very high probablity that the forms of life ‘out there’ are myriad and complex.
I have a theory that whenever someone imagines a world, populated with various creatures/societies, that that world actually exists somewhere and we, because of the vedic concept of ‘oneness’ with the universe/multiverse, are merely expressing what we know to be true somewhere in that impossibly vast expanse of ‘usness’.
Of course that means the aliens of Sigourney Weaver fame must likewise exist somewhere, along with Jedi knights, Doom monsters, Reavers, and bad acting.
Or maybe we bring these creatures/worlds into being somewhere with our incredibly powerful thoughts.
If so, stop thinking of horrific creatures and instead think of happy elves and fairies, good of heart and soul. (Uncomfortable squirm in seat).
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
Poke Alster at 10:43AM, Nov. 9, 2007
(offline)
Well something must be out there right? we cant be alone in the world can we?
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
kyupol at 9:25PM, Dec. 28, 2007
(offline)
I just read a whole bunch of articles claiming how aliens were the reason why human beings are on the earth in the first place. As well as stuff that is consistent with both the bible and evolution theory and why the heck are human beings of different race.

Well… to summarize:

- Humans (homo sapiens) started out as products of genetic engineering by this alien race called the Annunaki. They made us because they needed workers to work on their gold mines. They needed gold because they lived in the 10th planet of the solar system which is too far from the sun. Gold kinda stabilized their atmosphere and made it possible for them to exist. something like that.

- Other articles have claimed that there is this war among intelligent civilizations. The reptilians and greys on one side. While the Nordics/Terrans, etc. on the other side.

- The ‘Greys’ are the most common alien. The image conjured up in your head when you hear the word ‘alien’. Reptilians supposedly live underground. And they are the reason why stories of dragons are found in every culture of humans. Because of the continuous wars between the Reptilians and the Humans.

-The Nordics/Terrans on the other hand, are actually HUMANS. There are like 30 classifications of them but they all share the same features we have. They'd either be taller or smaller. One website even claimed that the most ‘peaceful’ variant of this race looked like today's South Asians (India, Pakistan). Explanation for Mahatma Gandhi?

They have HUMAN features but their technology level is at least 3000 years ahead of our present tech level.

- So WE are a variant of the Nordic/Terran type of ‘alien’. And there's this claim about the Greys and Reptilians working hard to prevent us from attaining progress by making us hate each other. The Greys and Reptilians fear our kind because in 200 years, we went from agrarian societies to information technology societies. So if we progress more, we can be an intergalactic threat or something. WE are ‘refugees’. Our ancestors migrated to Earth by spaceship from a star system that starts with an “L”. The other ‘refugees’ are scattered across the universe. So yeah there are ‘aliens’ that look exactly ‘human’

—————————————
NOTE: I WILL POST MY SOURCES LATER ON.
AS USUAL, I TREAT THESE ARTICLES WITH SKEPTICISM. I DO NOT BELIEVE THEM IN ENTIRETY NOR DISMISS THEM ALL AS ‘BULLSHIT’.

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
StaceyMontgomery at 6:58AM, Dec. 29, 2007
(offline)
I happily dismiss all of these ideas as bullshit.

Note the use of the term “nordics/terrans.”

It really tells us everything we need to know.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
TitanOne at 9:40AM, Dec. 29, 2007
(offline)
bobhhh
I think it was Carl Sagan, (I'm not sure here and google wasn't much help) who said something to the effect that considering the odds and the enormity of the cosmos, that it was terrestrial arrogance to assume the earth bore the only beings in existence.

Well, do the math.

Suppose that life itself is only feasible on every thousandth star…that 99.9% of all solar systems are incapable of producing biological life.

Then suppose that intelligent lifeforms capable of building civilizations would only become feasible on 1 out of 1000 of the stars that can support lifeforms.

That would potentially leave us with only 1 out of 1,000,000 odds of encountering intelligent civilizations in our galaxy.

Our galaxy is said to contain as many as a hundred billion stars. If so, that means the above paltry mathematical odds could produce 100,000 intelligent civilizations.

My guess is lots of them are out there, and we haven't “made contact” for one of three possible reasons:

1) The civilizations are too far apart to communicate with each other. In other words, just because they are out there doesn't mean they are in the neighborhood, or anything like “warp drive” or “hyperspeed” will ever be invented in real life. The speed of light may be the fastest speed solid matter can move. If intelligent civilizations are a million stars apart, that's a mighty slow trip.

2) Civilizations more advanced than ours would probably use a form of inter-world communication that we can't pick up on our crude radio instruments at SETI. Humans don't communicate with passenger pigeons or smoke signals anymore, do they?

3) The large amounts of planetary matter, rocks, asteroids, and nebulae in our solar system and throughout vast uncharted reaches of space may make it difficult to read radio emissions.

last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
TitanOne at 10:01AM, Dec. 29, 2007
(offline)
ozoneocean
The tech we have now, on balance, is bad for us. -it needs mining and destruction of environments on a gigantic scale, causing pollution so severe it's believed to be responsible for changing the climate of the entire planet, it makes war easier, it also makes the spread of humanity and the increase in population easier which again, is bad for the human race as a whole…

I reject much of the global warming scenario that's currently in vogue, but there's something else.

Sagan also proposed–in Cosmos–that the technological curve in weapons and destructive technologies is such that very few intelligent civilizations may survive high technology. I think this a strong possibility.

-A thermonuclear war could not wipe out human life on earth, but it could technologically neuter the earth and cause a “crash of civilization” that could reduce us to a tribal, Iron Age existence for decades or centuries–especially if the Bomb was accompanied by EMP weaponry and severe disruptions in flow of petroleum.

-It's also remotely possible, if dabbling continues with DNA technology and biological warfare, that a super-virus may be developed that can wipe out all human life on earth.

-And then there's nanotechnology, which theoretically could do the same thing.

The idea of the sort of world leaders we have today–warmongers, corrupt and greedy–having access to any of the above is very disturbing to me.

It could be because of the nature of avarice and aggression, that it's very difficult for civilizations to advance beyond the early Nuclear Age.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:30PM
donkas at 6:49PM, Dec. 29, 2007
(online)
as far as i can tell, there is only one reason whe haven thad contact with inteigent life so far…

and hes coming for us next
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM
kyupol at 8:16AM, Dec. 30, 2007
(offline)
It gets deeper and deeper.

I just read up a few articles about the ‘GREYS’. Yes they are the most common alien in sightings and theres even halloween costumes and t-shirts of them.

According to a few sources, greys are:

- very physically brittle. If you grab their arm the same way you grab the arm of your buddy or something, and they will easily be crushed. That means in a physical combat with humans, humans will easily tear them apart.

- However, these Greys have a superior evolved brain that can communicate telepathically. Meaning their technology is at least thousands of years more advanced than us. Fight em and we'd probably have our collective asses handed back to us.

- They reproduce by cloning. As their reproductive systems were destroyed by a nuclear war they had with another alien civilization called the ‘Blonds/Nordics’. Which was a stalemate. Anyway, they abduct humans and mutilate cows because they need some of our DNA to help in their cloning process. They dont want their race to be extinct.

- They have no digestive systems. Their nourishment is directly absorbed through the skin. They ‘consume’ human sweat and other body fluids by putting it on their skins for them to absorb.

- ‘Male’ and ‘Female’ among them is all in a MENTAL STATE. According to abductees, some of them ‘feel more male’ and some ‘feel female’. But the males vastly outnumber the females in their societies. Their females are heavily protected and isolated.

- Other articles claim that these Greys evolved from crustaceans. CRABS. MOLLUSKS. They came out of the sea… but were enslaved by this Reptilian race. They later rebelled. Some achieved freedom and some remained slaves. Some Greys wanna have a sort of ego-trip and enslave the human race. But cant because there are other alien races they have to deal with like the Blonds who allegedly help humans.

- The Greys are very good in logic. They ARE geniuses. As part of their ‘logic’, here's the interesting part: They have genetically engineered themselves using advanced cloning technologies in such a way that EMOTIONS WERE DELETED from their genetic makeup. BECAUSE EMOTIONS ARE WEAKNESSES. That is why they have no emotion and have absolute disregard for human or any life in the universe.

As for emotion being weakness, I think the Greys have a point. Because in real life. Like a corporate environment or something, emotion will only work to your detriment (depression making you cease to function properly). Another example of emotion leading to one's detriment: If I ‘think with my dick’, it will get me in trouble with the law.

And as far as emotionlessness = strength is concerned, there is a counter-argument for that coming from their Nordic enemies: Emotion is needed for spirituality. Emotion is needed to attain a higher form of spiritual existence. Emotion is needed to develop an understanding of your fellow man and look after his needs. That is why the Nordics claim these Greys are going to a dead end in their progress.

- They function like a ‘hive mind’. They do things for the good of their society. Its always for the homeland/home planet/queen/etc. etc. etc. There is no property or money or any of that. There is NO individualism.

-Perhaps communism worked for these beings? And humanity wasnt ready for communism yet thats why it caused millions of deaths when applied to us?

NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
an_artist at 11:29AM, Jan. 1, 2008
(offline)
The boring and somewhat depressing truth about ETs is that, the same numbers that work in favor of their existance (that is, the universe being so stupidly big probability tells us life is bound to evolve) also means that we're unlikely to meet any extra-terrestrials any time soon (that is, the universe is so stupidly big probability tells us anything that does evolve is going to be millions of lightyears away - at best).

We're probably a fairly early form of life though. Given that the universe is roughly 14 billion years old, Earth is 4.5 billion years old and life on Earth has existed for about 3.7 billion years, we're pretty early bloomers (because even though those 10 billion years the universe existed before the Earth was formed was a long time, for most of that time the universe was a big mess. Solar systems didn't form until about 8-9 billion years in, so ETs only had 1 billion years to come into existance if they wanted to beat us as the first intelligent life).

But I guess all aliens really need is a measly 1 million years head start to make us look like primitive monkeys in comparison. Hell, in 10 thousand years mankind will probably have advanced to far we'll be unreckonisable.

And the universe still has hundreds of billions of years to go before anything unpleasant happens to it (and anything unfortunate enough to be alive within it at that time - not us, luckily!) so we've got plenty of time for life to evolve and make contact with us even if nothing but mankind does exist yet.

In short, this was a round-about way of saying I wouldn't be overly surprised if we haven't heard from other life yet, even if we still know it (probably) exists somewhere.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:54AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved