Media Megaforum

Fan Fiction Issues
ministrybase at 1:53AM, June 9, 2010
(offline)
Hey

I’m a big fan of Robin Hobb’s epic fantasy. I must admit though, I was shocked to learn of her extremely negative views on fan fiction. Some authors really seem to hate fan-fiction based on their stuff. I mean, it’s their right but what’s your view on fan fiction?

Agree? Disagree?

Personally I think it’s flattering, even if it’s a different interpretation of your characters. It also diversifies them and allows the fans a higher degree of interaction with than just reading one’s work.

When I've found fan art or fan fiction based on Ministry, I've been flattered.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
Faliat at 6:21AM, June 9, 2010
(online)
I think fan fiction is sort of okay. It's really easy to misinterprate characters and their relationships with one another.

Slash fiction is the work of the devil. As it usually amplifies that issue to ridiculous proportions.

If after I started my comic I was getting slash fan art and fiction with the wrong characters I would just scream with rage until my lungs used my diaphragm as a trampoline and jumped out of my mouth.

I'd appreciate that people had an interest in my work enough to do it, but if they're not getting the story and the characters it would be really hard to feel happy about it.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Dark Pascual at 9:08AM, June 9, 2010
(online)
Have to admit that I'll be very flattered if I ever found “Shaman Quest” fanfic (I've had huge ego boosts when somebody sends me a fanart). It means that fans care enough about my work to explore different possibilities and scenarios with the characters, or that they are wondering about certain aspects of the series. Or that I have fanboys/fangirls…which is cool too.

In my opinion, Fan Fiction is a great way to a new writer to start developing some skills, like pacing and dialog, before jump into their own ideas.

But I have to admit that I really hate those fanfics that put the focus just on the romance and throw away all the other elements of a series, specially the “High School Alternate Universe” fics… I mean, Wangst, Mary Sues… if you're lucky, those are so bad that are hilarious…
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
demontales at 9:22AM, June 9, 2010
(online)
I used to write a lot before and I put so much time and effort on characters and they meant so much to me that if someone would dare make a fanfiction and misinterpret them I would cut their head off.

Now, I would still be displeased at first I guess, but I would understand how it can be flattering and wouldn't bother too much if the fanfics are intelligent. However, that is if I was a known writer or comic artist. But I think I will always have a disdain for the concept of fanfiction. Everyone likes to imagine their best book/movie/comic/etc if it would be longer, different, etc. But the story is the story that was written and although it's fun to imagine, I'd personally feel bad about writing it out and showing it.

I just want to add that I don't want anybody feeling offensed. I just don't get it much.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:10PM
Hawk at 10:39AM, June 9, 2010
(online)
Fanfiction has such a bad name because it's so easy to do and there is so much bad fanfiction out there. It potentially requires so little effort because you don't have to draw anything or invent anything new, you just have to sit down to a computer with somebody else's story and characters and start typing out whatever ideas come to your head. With so few barriers for entry, of course you'll get Mary Sues, inappropriate relationships, and generally poor writing.

Because of this, it's hard to recognize when the truly good fanfictions are written. They're drowned out by all the bad ones. And even worse, a technically well-written fanfiction might still get ignored because the author is making a fan-work and not their own original material.

Fanfiction isn't always a flattering homage. They're sometimes personal re-dos by disappointed or angry fans. I know that when Avatar: The Last Airbender finished, hundreds of people took to their own fanfictions to hook characters together that no business being together.

But I think in most cases fanfiction should be flattering. It's like getting fan art, really. And it should give a person insights into how their characters and story are viewed by other people.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
DAJB at 10:44AM, June 9, 2010
(online)
I suppose there are serious issues to this. If the fan fiction is well written, there's a danger that fans may just read the free fanfic and not bother buying the real work that the original author is trying to make a living from.

On the other hand, if the fanfic is badly written (and much of it is!) there's a danger that anyone who first encounters those characters through the fan fiction may be put off the original books because they assume they'll be just as bad. It's a matter of creators trying to protect their livelihood.

I doubt if many of us here at DD are likely to have this kind of a problem in the near future. But we can dream!

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
Genejoke at 3:18PM, June 9, 2010
(online)
well I have nearly completed my 1200 page slash fiction epic based upon shades, It centre on a young Stanley miller grooming the young would be super heroes in all the wrong ways.

Okay maybe not.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:33PM
blindsk at 5:54PM, June 9, 2010
(online)
Hawk
Fanfiction isn't always a flattering homage. They're sometimes personal re-dos by disappointed or angry fans. I know that when Avatar: The Last Airbender finished, hundreds of people took to their own fanfictions to hook characters together that no business being together.

I agree, most of what I've seen falls into this category. I always had the belief that a fan fiction should at the least stay true to character development established by the original author. It's the difference between giving a car a new body paint, or meddling with the engine, ripping stuff out and replacing things. It just won't run the same as it used to and just feels like a different car.

One thing I'm curious about are books such as the Star Wars series or even the Blizzard books - are those considered fan fiction? They're usually written by a variety of authors not originally affiliated with the franchise. Though of course they do need their approval before publishing. Those would be an amazing example of what it means to write a good fan fiction. They make use of the universe just as a backdrop, and add characters of their own in the background to the grand scheme of things that may/may not interact with the original ones.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
DAJB at 2:32AM, June 10, 2010
(online)
Genejoke
well I have nearly completed my 1200 page slash fiction epic based upon shades, It centre on a young Stanley miller grooming the young would be super heroes in all the wrong ways.
Damn! Now, if only you'd had Boo in the lead role, I might even have bought a copy! ;-)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
ozoneocean at 2:58AM, June 10, 2010
(online)
I thought all fan-fiction only existed so characters to constantly have sex with each other.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
isukun at 6:40AM, June 10, 2010
(online)
One thing I'm curious about are books such as the Star Wars series or even the Blizzard books - are those considered fan fiction?

I don't know about the Blizzard books, but I'm pretty sure Lucas gave the Star Wars books some sort of legitimacy and even considered many of them canon.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
Freegurt at 11:21AM, June 11, 2010
(online)
Faliat

Slash fiction is the work of the devil. As it usually amplifies that issue to ridiculous proportions.
If after I started my comic I was getting slash fan art and fiction with the wrong characters I would just scream with rage until my lungs used my diaphragm as a trampoline and jumped out of my mouth.
I'd appreciate that people had an interest in my work enough to do it, but if they're not getting the story and the characters it would be really hard to feel happy about it.

I don't mind slash fiction. I've had one person tell me that if my characters aren't gay, they'll gladly slash my characters. Even my friends suggested that I just make both of them hot for each other since everyone thinks/wants them to be (not surprising, comes with the territory of having two male leads). In fact, I think it's silly that anyone would get angry over a fictional character. The only thing I DON'T want people doing is claiming my characters as their own.

As far as other characters from shows/books and whatnot. Again, I don't mind. Fans are what make the lifeblood of a series, why not let them do their thing and keep them happy? What I don't like is when they make characters OOC. Like from Assassin's Creed, Altair being a babbling idiot who can't do anything right (or suicidal), or Malik a sobbing child because he thinks he's ugly (yes I read fanfiction of AC, I liked it a lot and needed my fix when I finished it).

And then there's the awesomely bad fanfiction. Like My Immortal or Christian Humber Reloaded, or Full Life Consequences. They're so bad they're awesome, and so bad that you can't help but laugh at the fail.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
I Am The 1337 Master at 2:36PM, June 11, 2010
(offline)
…I'm gonna write you all fanfiction…
or I should.

I don't like the stuff written for an erection or just…whatever it is you “grls” do (heh heh he said grls…funny).

I do like funny ones. Especially once I get to my Fairly Oddparents one…

And find the Joker/Venom crossover I wrote with my friend.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:54PM
The Gravekeeper at 11:20PM, June 12, 2010
(offline)
I think some the hate from authors stems from legal issues. Namely, cases where the author lost the rights to some of their own work to a fan.

I'd personally be flattered if someone wrote fan fiction as long as they don't bastardize my characters too much. I can't stop people from writing, of course, I just personally think that if you're not going to use the actual characters from the work then you might as well just write some original fiction. It'll take you right out of the legal gray area that fan fiction resides in and no one will be able to say that you're misrepresenting any characters ('cuz they'd be your characters).

I can't say I'd be particulary interested in reading any fan fiction for my comic, though.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM
Faliat at 7:30AM, June 15, 2010
(online)
I Am The 1337 Master
…I'm gonna write you all fanfiction…
or I should.
You're just saying that ‘cause you can’t touch mine.
You can't fanfic that which has not got a completely established story or characters on the internet… Since my pages are still lying about in my sketchbooks… Damn scanner!

What I mean about not getting the characters is when there's subtle undertones and complexity in the interactions between them. It's often simplified for the sake of getting to plot rather than establishing the fan's opinion of the characters and their interpretation of them. Not just the original author's.

It's basically copy and paste character psyche and it smacks of:

“This is Bob. We all know Bob. Bob is a man. Bob is on TPIGEC (ThisPlanetIsGenericEarthClone)we all know what TPIGEC looks like. It looks like Earth. PLOT BEGINS NAUGH!!!”

There's no extra descriptions since the fan is writing exclusively for other fans that know the locations and appearances of the characters or have their own versions. And then, if someone who hasn't come across the original work but has seen and enjoyed the fanfiction, their views on the subject matter will be tainted by the opinions of the one that got there first.

I read the first few Harry Potter books prior to the release of the first movie. Before they were even made I had already established, in my head, the appearances and voices of the characters. And this therefore affected my viewing of the movies two to three years later. I couldn't see my renditions in the performances by the actors and actresses.
It was a crapload cooler when Hagrid was a magic biker dude, Sirius Black looked like a character rejected from Metalocalypse for being too awesome and refusing to shave his muttonchops and back when Hermione was called “Hermy-Yon”.

It's why I can't really enjoy the movies. My family still buys them but I never really get into them. And it's spoiled my reading of the books since I can't read the newer ones without seeing the actors hamming it up. And you can tell that the books are being written for the movie version rather than writing the books as a stand alone thing. I stopped reading them after The Order of the Phoenix. And I'm glad.

But the point I'm trying to make here is:
My original opinion of Harry Potter was different from everybody elses and vice versa. It always was. It always will be since I've not let it be overwritten. As a result someone who isn't me made a movie. And it pretty much destroyed the imagination of subsequent generations reading the source material by making them all think more alike.

I wonder which of the two mediums will stick around in the public consciousness the longest? Will the CGI date and warrant a movie remake or will people forget those and continue to read the books?
Only time will tell.

Call that jumped up metal rod a knife?
Watch mine go straight through a kevlar table, and if it dunt do the same to a certain gaixan's skull in my immediate vicinity after, I GET A F*****G REFUND! BUKKO, AH?!

- Rekkiy (NerveWire)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved