Media Megaforum

Fave SciFi TV series?
ozoneocean at 10:55PM, March 28, 2010
(online)
Heya.
Recently I've been having a SciFi kick.
I just finished Watching the entire series of LEXX on DVD. I bought it about two years ago and I've eeked it out ever since. -I'd already seen the whole thing on TV a few times before anyway…

Now I've bought a special edition version of LEXX, (nothing special about it except it comes in a tin), I've also bought all of Farscape, and my copy of Starhunter just came in the post this morning. :)

All of those are fairly non-straightforward SciFi series, not as mainstream as something like Star Trek, Stargate SG1, or Babylon 5 for example, but they're all well written and quite funky shows that are a little more “mature”.

What are your fave SciFi series and what kind of stuff are you into?
-I don't mind Star Trek or Stargate etc. They're well made and fun to watch, but it's nice to see something that's a little “gritter” so to speak.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:36PM
DAJB at 11:55PM, March 28, 2010
(online)
Battlestar Galactica (the recent remake) is probably my favourite. Basically an intense political drama that just happened to be set on a spaceship!

I'm also enjoying the prequel series Caprica (like Dallas meets the Godfather but set on another planet).

Oh, and The Hitchhikrer's Guide to the Galaxy. But that goes without saying!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
ozoneocean at 1:01AM, March 29, 2010
(online)
Haha, I'm a moron. All that stuff I do discretely moving posts to the right parts of the forum and informing people about the right place to posts things and I go and post this in the comics forum. Duh…
———————————

DAJB
Battlestar Galactica (the recent remake) is probably my favourite. Basically an intense political drama that just happened to be set on a spaceship!

I'm also enjoying the prequel series Caprica (like Dallas meets the Godfather but set on another planet).

Oh, and The Hitchhikrer's Guide to the Galaxy. But that goes without saying!
I'v not seen the new Battle star, but I did used to enjoy the old one. :)
Their uniforms were so cool and those shiny Cylons looked awesome. :)

I loved the Hitchhikers series, that evoked the book/radio play nicely. I love how it had most of the same actors doing the same parts too! Not all, but most.

Can't forget Dr Who either! -I don't follow the new one, but loved all the older ones. ^_^

EssayBee at 5:33AM, March 29, 2010
(online)
I grew up watching Battlestar Galactica (the original) and Buck Rogers, although they're kinda hard to watch when I see reruns nowadays. I loved the first four or five seasons of X-Files, but once I graduated from college, I stopped watching TV shows for the most part. I loved The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. (not exactly sci-fi, although the running orb storyline was sci-fi). Also used watched the last season or two of Star Trek The Next Generation, and all of the reruns in between. Nowadays, The Clone Wars is one of my favorite shows.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
WiffleBall at 3:25PM, March 29, 2010
(offline)
I don't watch a lot of dramatic stuff on tv, so assuming we're counting anime(Which I officially decree that we are now.), I gotta give my regards to Sgt. Frog and Xam'd Lost Memories.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:49PM
Dave7 at 7:43PM, March 29, 2010
(online)
Mostly Dr. Who, Battlestar Galactica (just loved the final episode), and Stargate SG-1 (was actually kind of disappointed when the series ended; too many things left undone if you ask me). I read way more sci-fi in books than I watch on T.V.
Post your concerns about the preview page! Support raw html! http://getsatisfaction.com/drunkduck/topics
]http://getsatisfaction.com/drunkduck/topics

“That is not dead can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons death may die.”
~H.P. Lovecraft

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:09PM
Dark Pascual at 8:21AM, March 31, 2010
(online)
Just loved Farscape and Firefly… A LOT… (both still among my favorite TV shows).

I liked X Files when I was on Highschool, but I stopped watching once David Duchovny left the show.

If SciFi cartoon shows count, I loved Captain Harlock, Megas XLR, Invader Zim and Duck Dodgers.

BTW, I keep hearing good things about Doctor Who, but never got the chance to watch it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:07PM
Janen at 8:58AM, April 1, 2010
(offline)
The series I really enjoy is Pluton BRB Nero, which is in Spanish though. In it basically the president Maculay Kulkin III(that's how they spell it) sends a ship to find a planet so that humanity can move out of Earth. And also Invader Zim, in which if I were Zim I would have destroyed or reprogrammed that robot.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
ozoneocean at 11:14PM, April 3, 2010
(online)
Janen
The series I really enjoy is Pluton BRB Nero, which is in Spanish though. In it basically the president Maculay Kulkin III(that's how they spell it) sends a ship to find a planet so that humanity can move out of Earth.
That sounds like pure genius!

Anybody remember Blake 7? That was a pretty brilliant old British series. Very dark… Lots of very evil deeds. Makes Star Trek and such look like Sesame street. Some crappy sets though. -from what I remember.

Did somebody mention Buck Rogers or was that just my imagination? That was a groovy show with bimbo and bimbo leads in tight pearl spandex. Sooooo 70's, like SciFi set in studio 54. Still cool though.
——————–

Watching Farscape again after all this time is cool and weird. All the commentaries are fantastic to listen to because all the cast and crew obviously really loved what they were doing and were highly into it. The actors love talking about the intricacies of their craft and know a LOT about all the other technical aspects of the show, which I find is pretty rare. The directors and producers are great to listen to as well.
Rowan Woods, one of the directors, is hilarious to listen to, he sounds exactly like the typical British parody of an arrogant, confident, ultra-Aussie. :)
All the early episodes are WAY higher production quality than I thought they'd be… Very highly polished proffessional series.

Starhunter by contrast is very ropey… It's very much a joint Canadian UK production (like LEXX), but the early episodes are very stilted, with a low production value. Rough sets, rough props, rough acting, rough filming, rogh directing, rough writing. They seem to be doing the best they can on the cheap, but they probably should've worked a bit harder to get better performances- better performances would've made up for the rest (as it traditionally does in SciFi), they didn't though.
It does get better as the episodes move on, and some actors are real standouts like Tanya Allen and he strange character Percy.
-One weird thing is that even though it's set about 100 years in the future when humanity has colonised the solar system, they're still all using conventional firearms (in the early epps at least). In the first few episodes they're carrying around and firing unmodified HK sub-machine-guns! After that those same sub-machine-guns get big black pieces of pipe welded over them. But they're still the same guns and they still actually fire them. -not just the usual effects added after.

Hawk at 3:14PM, April 4, 2010
(online)
I would probably choose Twilight Zone. It sort of established a lot of Sci-Fi ideas and concepts, and some of its stories are still poignant and interesting today. And as a kid I just loved the irony and twists laced into each episode.

ozoneocean
Did somebody mention Buck Rogers or was that just my imagination? That was a groovy show with bimbo and bimbo leads in tight pearl spandex. Sooooo 70's, like SciFi set in studio 54. Still cool though.

I think old Sci-fi is fascinating because it lets us see what earlier time periods thought the future would be like, and it's always a bizarre exaggeration of that time period. It's funny how much like the 70's the future can look when it's designed by the 70's.

It's also funny to see where current technology actually surpasses some of the technology in old sci-fi shows.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:47PM
ozoneocean at 1:44AM, April 5, 2010
(online)
Hawk
And as a kid I just loved the irony and twists laced into each episode.
I liked the Twilight Zone (original series, the remake and the other lookalike series like Astounding Stories etc), but it was extremely variable: on one hand you have a lot of clever twists and irony, stories that are often related to Faust or Djins in the Arabian nights and their wishes with a catch. On the other hand you also had stories that turned out horrible for the protagonist just for the hell of it- no rhyme, reason, irony or humour, just doing it that way because that was the formula. I don't think that was a fault of the show, it was probably an issue with matching episode quotas so they sometimes had to settle for stories that weren't always up to standard. But then variable quality is a problem with ALL scifi always.
Hawk
I think old Sci-fi is fascinating because it lets us see what earlier time periods thought the future would be like, and it's always a bizarre exaggeration of that time period. It's funny how much like the 70's the future can look when it's designed by the 70's.
Futurama played off that brilliantly by making the future like a crappy version of future50's-60's America :)

The Jetsons is funny in it's hyper futuristic GOOD version of 50s-60's America, which it also did with irony- robot maids in maid uniforms and maid personalities, “Sprockets” and “Cogs” being the biggest industries in the world…
And of course a related version of that is The Flintstones, with 60's America in neolithic times. ^_^

Hawk
It's also funny to see where current technology actually surpasses some of the technology in old sci-fi shows.
That can take you out of the fantasy sometimes… when you realise how pathetically primitive a robot like K-9 in Doctor Who is, for example. But it's also funny, and it's all fantasy afterall, so you can usually rationalise it.

Some things in SciFi that don't really make sense but I always let go anyway:

-Aliens that look human in any way at all.
-Alien animals that are based on earth animals.
-Aliens that are based on earth animals.
-Human sized aliens.
-Alien culture based on periods of earth culture.
–Alien planets with earth vegetation and perfectly non-harmful, breathable atmospheres with earth gravity.
-Having earth gravity everywhere- on all spaceships, whether derelict hulks or functioning ones, alien craft etc, on Asteroids and all planets.
-The fact that most “robots” are either remote controlled cars with bits on, or very clumsy roughly made human-like mechanical puppets for no sensible reason apart from that they look “futuristic”.
-The fact that most future societies human or alien follow a modern earth Military hierarchical structure complete with privates, corporals, lieutenants, captains, majors, colonels, commanders, generals, admirals and so on.

lol! It's fantasy afterall, so anything goes really, but it can be fun picking out all the things that wouldn't fit.

Product Placement at 10:07AM, April 5, 2010
(online)
I was a huge, intolerable Stargate nerd. I could talk about that show for hours. I knew everything that was worth (and not worth) knowing about it.
Personally, I feel that Stargate SG1 should have ended after the 7th season. The primary storyline was over at that point and when they introduced an army of evil Moses wannabes as the next enemy, I realized that the show was going downhill. I liked the Atlantis spin of and wished they had played with the Wraith some more and felt let down about the way they ended that storyline. What I've seen from the newest spin of, SG Universe, has not impressed me at all. Here's what I wrote about that one, btw..

I saw allot of the newer Star Trek stuff (Some TNG, DS9, Voyager, even Enterprize). I got interested in it after seeing Star Trek: First Contact (think it was the 8th movie) and a friend of mine who's a huge Trek guy was more then willing to introduce me to the series.

I loved the new Battlestar Gallactica and assume that everyone who's someone has seen it so I won't be…
ozoneocean
I'v not seen the new Battle star
Gasp!

*Thud*

Don't say things like that Oz. You almost gave me a heart attack. Go see it! NAOH!

I've wanted to see Firefly for the longest time but it's one of those “haven't gone around it yet” shows that's passed me by. I know allot of people who are kicking my butt about it.

Anyone seen those first few episodes of the “V” remake? It looks like an interesting show. Strangely enough though, it started a season break after only 4 episodes so the little that's out now is just a big tease, especially if you look at how the fourth episode ends.
Hawk
I actually prefer to have that happen as opposed to the times when the present catches up to the time period that the show is depicting and you realize we're far from achieving what the show promised us.

I would have liked it if was possible to go on a manned trip to Saturn. 2010, you let me down.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:52PM
ImaginaryGirl at 12:08AM, April 19, 2010
(offline)
Hmm. Either Red Dwarf or Doctor Who. And I cannot choose between them. Though Babylon 5 was also good.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:57PM
mlai at 7:51PM, April 19, 2010
(online)
Yeah wtf, it's 2010.

Doesn't that sound so sci-fi to anyone? And yet we don't have self-aware AI, we don't have death robots from the future, we don't have manned missions to Saturn, and we don't have giant black obelisks!

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
ImaginaryGirl at 10:21PM, April 19, 2010
(offline)
Instead we have the Internet!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:57PM
Mitaukano at 10:00AM, April 23, 2010
(online)
mlai
Yeah wtf, it's 2010.

Doesn't that sound so sci-fi to anyone? And yet we don't have self-aware AI, we don't have death robots from the future, we don't have manned missions to Saturn, and we don't have giant black obelisks!

You missed that, it all happened in 2001 *snerk*

ANYWAY, favorite Science fiction show? Oh mah gawd that is too hard for me to pic from. So I'll just say

Firefly -why are you over WHY??

Doctor Who- I like you Matt Smith, you make me feel old but I like you.

Farscape- It had puppets!! PUPPETS!!

Robotech- Not Macross, Macross is different Robotech is different and awesome in it's own way.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
ozoneocean at 8:55AM, April 24, 2010
(online)
Mitaukano
Farscape- It had puppets!! PUPPETS!!
I'm re-watching the second series now on DVD. It is SOOOO awesome.

In the special features for the 1st series, Bill Henson said that one of the reasons it was cancelled was because the SciFi channel had bought Stargate over which was getting better ratings (unsurprising since it was from a bigger network to start with).
That's a shame because compared to Farscape, Stargate was very limited … not as cleverly written or interesting. They did some good things occasionally, and let some level of quirky humour in, but overall it wasn't as good a SciFi show… It was more in that half-Scifi mode of shows like time-tunnel, sliders and X-files- never willing to go all the way and being more dorky because of it. (though nothing beats Babylon 5 for dorky and that did go al the way)
-fun that the two stars Claudia Black and Ben Browder both moved over to Stargate.

——————————
I finished the Starhunter DVD series the other day. That show just got better and better! It was never as good as Farscape, Stargate, etc, but it turned into a good solid show with good, confident actors and entertaining, interesting episodes. I'll have to get the second series where everything changes… Starhunter 2300.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved