Media Megaforum

Favorite Magical Girl Series?
RobbyTheRouge at 7:37PM, Nov. 26, 2010
(offline)
Defiantly a fan of the magical girl series, here's some links to internet based Magical Girls series I liked.
Magical Girl ‘Hunters’-a Dark but comical story of the emotionally unstable people who deal with the excess of stupid magical girls, you know, those who can't survive Don't! http://www.improfanfic.com/mgh/

SAilor Nothing-Another great dark magical girl story http://pixelscapes.com/sailornothing/

Angel Moxie-Much more lighthearted then the previous two story's,Starts off slow, then picks up pretty well story wise. http://www.venisproductions.com/angelmoxie/index.php

But my favorite Magical girl series is Mahou Shoujo Ai.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:08PM
Kahlan_Brightblade at 7:36PM, Dec. 9, 2010
(online)
Gosh I haven't though about this in a while,probably becsause I don't look at magical girl anime as much anymore. I have quite a few favorites, including:

Sailor Moon: The first magical girl anime I ever saw. Never liked the title character though, I was more fan of Sailor Mars.Probably her strong will was what appealed to me. I'm sad the dubbed version was not the best version, the japanese one was apparently much better.

Magic Knight Rayearth:Great series

cardcaptor sakura: bad dub for a good seires. I still have my set of clow cards from this series. Its a shame it wasn't the same as its japanese counterpart.The name cardcaptor sakura is much better, and the opening themes were better in my opinon from japan.“Catch you Catch me” is just so catchy!~
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
mlai at 7:52PM, Dec. 9, 2010
(online)
OMG the dubbing for CC Sakura is so horrid! This is a show/movies that you just have to watch with the original Jpnese VA.

Mahou Shoujo Ai:
The opening and closing sequences made me think that this series must be the most overlooked gem ever in all of animation; I had inspirational chills just watching them.

But after watching 8 episodes (16 2-part 15-min episodes), I stopped. The story was slow, I felt zero narrative momentum, and the action choreography is horribly horribly edited/animated. When it comes to action, it's worse than cheap 80's cartoons. That's how bad it was.

If anyone can convince me that he/she knows what I'm complaining about, but it does get better, then I'll pick it up again.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
isukun at 1:17PM, Dec. 10, 2010
(online)
Wasn't that a hentai series, or is there a new version without the tentacles? Either way, that would explain why it's not so great.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
EssayBee at 5:39PM, Dec. 10, 2010
(online)
mlai
OMG the dubbing for CC Sakura is so horrid! This is a show/movies that you just have to watch with the original Jpnese VA.

Yeah. I remember when it was aired on TV years ago. The network wanted to gear it more for boys, so the first episode they aired was Li's first appearance, and some episodes were cut to make Li more prominent (i.e., cut out some Sakura stuff to make Li a bigger part of the story). There was also a mandate from the network that said they couldn't show anything that showed it was Japanese (and hence alien to kids). Any scenes with chopsticks or Japanese foods were cut. Any potentially risque material had to be cut. Some of the episodes had up to 5 minutes cut out of them to make them more “palatable” for American audiences. And the voice cast was just too old sounding. Thankfully Pioneer brought the original, uncut series to DVD, even though it took 3 years for the entire series to come out (1 volume every 2 months).
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:22PM
mlai at 6:36PM, Dec. 10, 2010
(online)
@ Isukun:
Um, no wait… Oh, okay here it is, I thought he/she was talking about Mahou Shoujo Tai. Tai, not Ai.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Tweeny_Witches

For general audiences, folks.

@ EssayBee:
I'll credit Saturday morning for introducing me to CS Sakura for a few episodes, but that's it. Why do the suits even bother with CS Sakura if they're just going to butcher it? It's not as if they have a dumb card game to sell with it.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
isukun at 11:49AM, Dec. 11, 2010
(online)
I thought he/she was talking about Mahou Shoujo Tai.

You mean shoujotai. It's one word. Write it as two and you're either denoting a name or the desire to be something (Mahou Shoujo Ai translating to “Magical Girl Ai”, or Mahoutsukai Tai translating to “I Want to be a Magic User” ). In this context, -tai is a suffix which means squad or team, kind of like in the word sentai (which literally translates to war/battle team). Just to help avoid confusion in the future.

Regarding the topic at hand, I'd probably list Key the Metal Idol among my favorites.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
meemjar at 11:41AM, Dec. 12, 2010
(offline)
I'll prove how old I am. I saw the first Magic girl series of all.

Magical Girl Sally. She was shown exclusively on the French TV station here in Canada under the name ‘Minifee’.
It was like a children version of ‘Bewitched’ as Sally came from a magical world but found she liked the mortal world and chose to stay.
Her parents take an uncomfortable view to her choice as they are afraid she'll giver herself away.
But in spite of some close calls , usually caused by her mischievous younger siblings, she manages to keep her secret and help sove problems for her friends.

A second series I don't know if it counts or not is ‘Knight of the Ribbon’ or ‘Princess Knight’ by Osamu Tezuka, creator of Astroboy. Also only on the French station.
Princess Sapphire was born a girl, raised as boy, and while posing as a Princess by day, would don a Musketeer outfit and fight evil by night.

She's followed around by a trouble-prone sprite named ‘Tink’ or ‘Chopi’ depending on the source.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:58PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved