Media Megaforum

Favorite video game music? Or remixes of them?
Lonnehart at 5:14AM, May 23, 2011
(online)
I figure this is more about music than video game since you are listening to music WITHOUT playing any games.

Mine so far is…

Youtube Video (why is it called that? there's only music): Magical Sound Shower (Euro Remix)

My favorite music from one of my favorite racing games. But why is this called the “euro” remix? It sounds more… carribean… O_O

Oh, well… even though the remix sounds nice, The Original still sounds better. :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:39PM
Abt_Nihil at 12:53PM, May 23, 2011
(offline)
I couldn't pick just one favorite, but I'll name a few game soundtracks which have stayed fresh in my mind for years, if not decades, and accompany them with examples (just click on the links):

Mega Man II & III (NES)
Turtles In Time (SNES)
Various music from the Zelda games (if I had to choose one, it would probably be the epilogue/end credits music from A Link To The Past on the SNES)
Mario Galaxy (Wii)
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
Rockeign at 4:07PM, May 23, 2011
(offline)
One game that had music that's one of my favorites to this day is the OST of Street Fighter III: Third Strike. It was a Hip-Hop centric soundtrack where they even hired a rapper from Canada named Infinite to help out with. It had tons of instant classics like Third Strike, Moving On and a few character specific themes that're still with the characters in the 4th installment.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game also had awesome music. It was made in the style of the old school 8 bit games so the music has that awesome classic quality to it too. My favorites from that game is Cheap Shop, Bollywood and Rox 3000 among many others.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:08PM
mlai at 4:23AM, May 24, 2011
(online)
If you like to listen to video game music, you must fav this Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SupraDarky

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:07PM
ozoneocean at 4:39AM, May 24, 2011
(online)
Final Liberation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joWDZfBYOos

It had a beautiful poppy, gothic/epic metal, orchestral soundtrack. Very Awesome… reminded me of early Liabach (without the freaky vocals).
Well worth trying to download. The music was way better than the game itself, which was a buggy turn based strategy epic titan warhammer 40k thing.

Listen to the whole thing here:

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:38PM
JustNoPoint at 5:50AM, May 24, 2011
(online)
Abt_Nihil
Awesome taste!

This may be relevant to your interest :P
MegaMan 2 with lyrics
MegaMan2 rap
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Abt_Nihil at 1:14PM, May 24, 2011
(offline)
Awesome taste!

This may be relevant to your interest :P
MegaMan 2 with lyrics
MegaMan2 rap

Thanks! I loved those (except that listening to the 7 minutes of rapping ended up being a bit annoying :P).
I think I should mention I made a remix myself (taken from a remix album I'm currently working on):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi0X9xS4vRk
last edited on Sept. 11, 2011 6:06PM
Product Placement at 8:27PM, May 24, 2011
(online)
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:53PM
blindsk at 1:08AM, May 25, 2011
(online)
Oh man…too many to list. Honestly, my favorite soundtracks are ones I have a hard time listening to outside of the game, because they just flow well with it. But there are a few exceptions…

Definitely have a lot of respect for Koji Kondo and Yasunori Mitsuda - they're seemingly the first, to me, that turned video music into a real art. Not to mention they've probably produced the most famous music.

But if I had to feature a particular artist that I absolutely love, it would have to be the genius talents of Danny Baranowsky with his work in Super Meat Boy. The guy used to be a popular critic over on OC remix, a place that's a well-known hub for turning out some really good remixes (I'm sure Abt_Nihil knows what I'm talking about seeing that he's doing some remix work ;)).

I just love his frantic style. Here are a few of my favorites (actually, I like them all and even bought the full soundtrack…):

Hell World - Just…crazy.
Rapture Dark World - Sounds like Smooth Criminal.
Hospital World - Darker style.
The End - Epic theme.
Cotten World - Fun song, very bouncy.

And I can't forget that this one will always be a favorite of mine.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:25AM
AzuJOD at 1:53AM, May 25, 2011
(online)
Favourite video game music? Where do I start!?

Well, I think the Super Smash Bros. series has some of the best music. It's like a remix of the best of Nintendo's music. Case in point:

There's three remix of the Gourmet Race music from the Kirby series (The N64 version, orchestral Melee version, The heavy metal Brawl version!)
How about the Rocking remix of the Victory Road music from Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
Ooh, what about a remix of the Ridley Battle music from Metroid.
Two more: Earthbound/Mother series tunes Bein' Friends and Pollyanna

There's also original music,like the main theme from Brawl itself, complete with latin chanting, and the Metal character battle theme from Melee

And while I'm at it, here's the Complete History Of The Soviet Union, Arranged To The Melody Of Tetris!
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:15AM
Amelius at 11:16AM, May 25, 2011
(online)
As far as entire soundtracks go, I'd list my favorites in this order:
Odin Sphere (I love every single track. ALL OF IT!)
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
GuiltyGear X2
GrimGrimoire
Shadow of the Colossus (except one track with eagles screeching over the end of it)
Silent Hill 2 (including the “noise music” )
Super Metroid
Oboro Muramasa: The Demon Blade (would be higher on the list if half of the 60 tracks weren't just alternate versions, not that they are bad though!)
Faxanadu
Ico
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country
Little Nemo:The Dream Master
Tetris (the original NES one)

As far as remixes go, I really am fond of this remix of Shadow of the Colossus' “Wander on the Offensive”

As for game-related music however, I've recently become rather fond of the Megaman tribute band Protomen.

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM
isukun at 7:30PM, May 25, 2011
(online)
Snakeman's stage music has always been one of my favorites. I like some of the Castlevania music, but mostly just songs from the original. There were some decent remixes in the Dracula X games (Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night). I've also been liking a number of the songs from the Scott Pilgrim game. I also still like the music from Guardian Heroes. And whether or not you care for the game, there was definitely some good music in FF7 (although I've always liked the FF theme).

Something about the old school chip tune music just works better for me. Maybe they just had to make more compelling music to make up for the limitations of the medium, but a lot of it translates incredibly well to traditional instruments. Seems everything these days relies too heavily on dramatic sounding choruses or generic rock with very little real variety.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:05PM
itsjustaar at 1:40AM, May 26, 2011
(offline)
The opening to, and main theme at the beginning to Metal Gear gets me pumping. I've heard versions which sounded as if it game from a true film, a techno dance beat set to the dialer sound effect, among others. Whichever version you listen to, I think it's great in any style.
“Keeping Up with Thursday” - Updated Every 3 Days!
“ZombieToons Must Die” - hiatus. D:
Futon at 12:08PM, May 26, 2011
(online)
I'm seriously surprised no one's mentioned any of the Ys games yet. To Make The End Of Battle is a definite gem, especially in context with the corresponding scene on the game. I think it was the first Ys, not really sure, it's been a long time.

Guilty Gear and BlazBlue have some kickass soundtrack's too.

#56 in Comic Book/Story #73 Overall
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:32PM
Abt_Nihil at 4:12AM, May 27, 2011
(offline)
Oh, I forgot: I absolutely have to mention Parodius!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:45AM
itsjustaar at 5:26AM, May 27, 2011
(offline)
Looking back at this again, I forgot to mention my absolute love of the Dragon Warrior/Quest music! OCRemix hasn't done enough of it, but I will say the Symphonic versions of each of the games is epic and worth a run-in with at least once.

OCR, the ol' VGMix, Dwelling of Duels…. I love those places. Real talented folk. They've got an Anime Remix sister site too, but it hasn't seen much action in a good while. I pitched the idea of having a cartoon/animation-theme song album there, since they've done some of those too.
“Keeping Up with Thursday” - Updated Every 3 Days!
“ZombieToons Must Die” - hiatus. D:
Air Raid Robertson at 6:55PM, May 28, 2011
(online)
Yeah, I'm going to be the one to mention Video Games Live. I'm a sucker for orchestral music in any context, including video games.

Here's a link to a Sonic suite…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9u5nj3chGs

And here's one for Mario…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMW002oD8Do&feature=related
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
ewef at 12:40PM, July 18, 2011
(online)
I've been asked why, since I don't play the games, that I am so enamored by the Final Fantasy series. The reason is that despite the lackluster gameplay, they are a masterpiece of art, storytelling, and especially music. My current favorite track is To Zanarkand, the opening track from FFX. You can find it here.
“I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect.”
- Oscar Wilde.
Byth1 at 3:30AM, July 24, 2011
(online)
I have to say the Megaman X2 Zero song(Ironically from the one SNES megaman game I haven't played):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h_bx0PLxWg
Updated every friday!
Updated every monday!
PIT_FACE at 7:16AM, Aug. 1, 2011
(online)
ill have to cast my vote into the ring too with the Megaman 3 intro. i listen to this and i can kick the shit outa ANY mad robot scientist. 

http://youtu.be/TiQgYfyUdDs
last edited on Aug. 1, 2011 7:17AM
therealtj at 8:11AM, Aug. 1, 2011
(online)
La-Mulana has an amazing soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUTHBCpiU8Y
The game is filled with music just like that. It almost makes how painful the game is tollerable. 

“The only moral it is possible to draw from this story is that one should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush, but unfortunately there are times when it is unavoidable.”
-Douglas Adams, The Restaurant At the End of the Universe

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved