Media Megaforum

Favorite/Least Favorite Character
ccs1989 at 7:59PM, March 16, 2007
(online)
Here's a fun little mindless forum activity to allow people to rant about things they like and hate. What's your favorite and least favorite character out of any book, movie, TV show, comic book, graphic novella…um, play, opera, musical…etc. etc.?

No restrictions. You can list more than one if you like. Also tell us why you like or dislike these characters. I'll post my choices as soon as I think of them.

Okay…GO.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
fern at 9:42PM, March 16, 2007
(online)
Hmm this is hard, I'm just gunna put whatever comes to mind first.

Fav = Sam from The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Least = That kid who had Heart in Captain Planet.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
Janen at 9:45PM, March 16, 2007
(offline)
Favorite Characters
Main character from Red Badge of Courage-So much internal growth, even in his cowardice he exposes character and justification.
Jack from Lost-Always needing to fix something, he is the definition of an innate hero and leader.“He walks among us but is not one of us.”
Least Favorite Characters
Don Kanoji-This character does not even deserve to be associated with Bleach. Tite Kubo realized this and is why Don Kanoji now works flipping burgers.
The killer from Tell-Tale Heart-That guy just freaks me out, I don't know about you but if anyone spied on me during the night I would be scared out of my boxer shorts.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:07PM
Neilsama at 10:07PM, March 16, 2007
(online)
Favorite character in a book: Osymandias (Watchmen). United the world in peace by committing an act of genocide, and then had the moral high ground when the heroes caught up with him.

Favorite character on TV: Worf. I've always had a thing for serious and prideful characters who are frequently humiliated, often at the amusement of the other characters.

Favorite character in a movie: HAN FREAKIN' SOLO! Han was a bachelor, a vagabond, and a mercinary. He cruises the galaxy in a piece of shit with a companion that is basically a huge a dog. And he the look, the swagger, and the greatest lines, and in the end, HE got the girl instead of the hero! (Of course, the was that little thing about them being siblings, but I'm not one to split hairs.)

Least favorite character in a book: Easily, I would have to say Ian Malcolm in the first Jurassic Park book. When he would talk, he would talk for several paragraphs. I remember groaning every time he had some long-winded gobbledygook, and I after so many instances, I simply look for the end quotes and skip over whatever he said.

Least favorite character on TV: Lwaxana Troi. I don't have to explain.

Least favorite character in a movie: Pretty much any character played by Martin Lawrence. Characters that are zany for no reason are not funny.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:10PM
isukun at 10:23PM, March 16, 2007
(online)
Recently, probably David Addison from Moonlightingwould be one of my favorite characters. Also Max from Sam and Max (more for the comic rendition “Death from above, AIEEE!” ) and Steve Zissou from the Life Aquatic. There are several other from a wide variety of genres and formats, though.

Characters I hate tend to be the annoying trendy characters from sitcoms like Irkel. In terms of movies, a lot of Jim Carey's early parts and just about any character played by Will Ferrell I hate. I've also been rereading the Narnia book lately and rekindling my hatred for the protagonists after the Pevensies leave the series. Eustice and Jill were just stupidly petty characters.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
ccs1989 at 8:38AM, March 17, 2007
(online)
Alright, Favorite Characters:

Guts from Berserk: Total badass with a huge sword used to cut open demons. The thing with Guts is unlike many manga characters he doesn't bitch and whine or have emo moments. When he remembers bad stuff, the author makes you believe that he's not just being whiney. This is mostly facilitated through a 10 Volume flashback in which his entire past is related to the reader. Anyway by Volume 20 it's gotten to the point where whenever Guts is on the page you get a sense of reassurance.

Rorcharch from Watchmen: Fantastic character design, and a warped personality. Would hate to be around this guy in real life, but as a fictional character he's awesome.

The Joker- Sometimes a bad character in the wrong hands, but when voiced by Mark Hamill ascends to a level of awesomeness that can only be comprehended by watching “Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker”. Probably my favorite villain of all time.

Least Favorite Characters:

Shinji (Evangelion)- The anti-Guts. Whines, whines, whines, and then whines some more. And yet somehow he ends up saving the world. He just really annoys me.

Sakura from Naruto- Completely and utterly useless character, needed because an anime/manga property will sell if there's some kind of female character as a main character. But I'm not crazy about Naruto anyway, so I could really care less.

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
tea_green at 1:46PM, March 17, 2007
(online)
Favorite Characters

TV - The Todd from Scrubs: He's just so stupidly perverse and arrogant.

Books - Dolph and Edward from the Anita Blake series: I think that Dolph is cool cause in a world where there's all these vampires and stuff, he's a normal cop who manages to hold his own. Same for Edward only he's more badass because of his ruthless personality, his past with a secret government force, and his ability to maintain a normal life for the most part.

Cartoon - Slappy Squirrel: That crotchty ol' toon managed to get the best out of everyone, even in her golden years.

Anime - Saya from Blood: She's a stone cold killer but looks like a lil' girl, plus I like the way she was drawn.

Movie - James Bond: He's soo cool and he can dress and he always has such cool gadgets and cars.

Least Favorite

TV - JD from Scrubs: He just seems to ruin everything he touches.

Books - Anita Blake: She's such a Mary Sue, it ain't even funny.

Cartoon - Montanta Max: Just an annoying little brat. So was Elmyra but I can stomach her better than him.

Anime - Naruto: Someone with the most ill concieved catchphrase ever plus what kind of ninja runs around in an orange jumpsuit.

Movie - Any stereotypical black female characters: Y'know, the ones who come in and teach people rhythem will goin' “oh no you didn't!” or something like that…like on Soul Plane.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:08PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 2:22PM, March 17, 2007
(online)
Neilsama
Least favorite character in a book: Easily, I would have to say Ian Malcolm in the first Jurassic Park book. When he would talk, he would talk for several paragraphs. I remember groaning every time he had some long-winded gobbledygook, and I after so many instances, I simply look for the end quotes and skip over whatever he said.

Wha…? Are you serious?
Ian was my favorite character in that book. That guy was awesome!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:36PM
ozoneocean at 3:04PM, March 17, 2007
(online)
Fave characters:

Film; Withnail from Withnail and I. Such a glorious, spiteful, cynical, pathetic, loser bastard in a wonderful coat.

TV; Blackadder, from Blackadder 2. He's nasty and always on top of everything. A mean winner.

Comics; Corto Maltese. He's a quiet and perfectly able heroic fellow.

Books; Dirk Gently from the Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul and the Holistic Detective agency. He's fat and slobby and work-shy, but marvellously intuitive and able nevertheless.

Least fave characters:

Book; Rand (?) or whatever the hero's name is in those books by Robert Jordan. He's the closest to Shinji you can find in a book… such as despicable loser in those pastiches of Dune and the lord of the Rings.

TV; Bernard Wooly in Yes Minister. He just gets in the way… And always pipes in with some STUPID pedantic line about mixed-up cliches. He really dilutes that series, blunting the force of Jim Hacker and Sir Humphry.

Comics; Booger from TankGirl, because he gets to sleep with TankGirl!

Film: Tom Cruise's character in A Few Good Men because he comes of as a silly little kid pretending to be a lawyer.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
Phantom Penguin at 3:52PM, March 17, 2007
(offline)
Fave

Film: Yuri Orlov from Lord of War. He looses his entire family because of his work. But keeps on doing it.
Tie for Film: Oh-die-su from Oldboy. He waits for years to get his revenge and only regrets doing it.
Comic: The Punisher. Hes well trained and intelligent. He does what everyone wishes the police would do. He is evil fighting evil.

I couldnt think of a book.

least]

Film:
Dessert from Suicide Club: they are annoying as hell and get hundreds of school girls to kill themselves over music.

Comic:goober from tankgirl. Enough said

TV: Shinji. whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine. gay love scene. whine whine whine.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:42PM
Priceman at 12:29AM, March 18, 2007
(online)
Here goes:

Favorite character from:

Book: Anite Blake, Vampire Hunter. She's cool as hell, apparently super hot, and has powers and abilities that make her a threat to even ancient evils of supreme power. You can't get that kind of combination anywhere else.

Anime: Hollow Ichigo. When Ichigo's hollow side takes over, it's always badass. He basically kicks the ass of anyone in his way, and laughs like a maniac while doing it. It's great.

TV: Al Bundy. Al Bundy from “Married with Children” will always be my favorite sitcom character. He basically doesn't give a damn about anything, but when his family is threatened or insulted, he won't hesitate to kick ass for them. And his insults are legendary. Like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-qRJM5750A

Movie: The Boondocks Saints. One of the best movies ever. God fearing brothers, killing modern day criminals in order to protect the innocent; can't beat it.

Cartoon: Invader Zim and Gir. 'Nuff said.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:47PM
Crazy Dutchman at 2:46PM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
Favorite character ever: Marvin (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)!!!!
Least favorite character ever: Harry Potter (barf!)

TV: The storyteller from The Storyteller :)
Also George (Seinfeld), Edie (Six Feet Under)

Cartoon: Gaz from Invader Zim, but Zim and Gir are great too ^^
Other cartoon favorites: Bender (Futurama), Duckman

Anime: Gema from Digi-Charat…. can't help it!

Movie: Hard to say.. I don't want to spent too much time thinking about it right now because there are alot of lovable movie-characters. As a NBC-fan I would definatly say Jack Skellington, but I'm also a big fan of Jules Winnfield and ‘The Wolf’ from Pulp Fiction. And in the past I've been totally in love with Allison from the Breakfast Club..

Book: Next to Marvin I also adore Alice…. THE Alice, with her beautiful adventures in Wonderland :)

Comic: Batman ofcourse ;) Next to him: Squee!

Least favorites:

TV: I don't know.. I don't really watch series I don't like and none of the series I like has a character I can't stand. I don't like ‘Friends’ and that Joey-guy that seems to be so popular is totally not funny so he's my least favorite I can think of.

Cartoon: The Avatar. He sucks.

Anime: Altough the Naruto-series is quite fun sometimes I just can't get sympathy for Naruto himself
tea_green
Anime - Naruto: Someone with the most ill concieved catchphrase ever plus what kind of ninja runs around in an orange jumpsuit.
Yay! I'm not the only one! I fully agree with you!

Movie: That kid from Problem Child. No comment whatsoever.

Book: HP like I already said.

Comic: Very hard to say…… er, I never really liked Daredevil that much.

I'll try to remember characters I totally dislike, right now I find it very hard to name one.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
Jillers at 6:46PM, March 18, 2007
(offline)
Hmmm…. well, I'm sure I'll add em as I think of ‘em but so far:

TV:

+ House - House. Somehow, in the writing, they manage to make this rude, sarcastic, aloof, angry doctor likeable (to me at least). He has some of the best one liners.

- House - Cameron. She’s way too mice and sappy. Also, there's a “hands off my man” feel about her. She's in love with House, sleeps with Chase, wants to save the world, and harps on the idea that she's morally superior than everyone else.

+ Firefly - Wash. “We gotta go to the crappy planet where I'm a hero.” He's witty, dry sense of humor, but still a happy person, unlike House. He's quirky, and I like it.

- Firefly - Inara. If she's so much better than Mal, how come she loves him? Again, it's a hands off my man thing, but I also hate the whole pretense she has. Like she's as awesome as the rest of the crew. The show wouldn't have lost anything if Inara wasn't there, IMO.

…I'm kinda drawing blanks on everything else, so when I think of some character I have an undying hatred for in these other categories, I'll post 'em
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
ozoneocean at 12:05AM, March 19, 2007
(online)
I know some awsome characters that I like in a TV show:
LEXX.
I love Kai. he's invincible, cool, has funky hair and an amazing walk.
I love Xev (and Zev). She's just dreamy… Exotic, hidden talents, tough, sexy…
And I love Stanley Tweedle. He's hilariously flawed but good intentioned and endlessly loveable because of it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:26PM
simonitro at 1:19PM, March 19, 2007
(online)
Favorites:

Movies:

- Jack Sparrow
- Eddie ‘Hudson Hawk’ Hawkins
- Leeloo (Fifth Element)

Cartoon:

- Ed, Edd, n Eddy
- Bender
- Coop (Megas XLR) He looks like me
- Kim Possible: She's cute!
- Liono

Anime/Manga:

- Edward Elric
- Eikichi Onizuka
- Grendizer
- Ryo Saeba
- Natsuki Sassaharra

Comic:

- Batman
- Slam Bradley
- Obelix (Asterix is boring)

Wrestling:

- The Undertaker
- Triple H
- Shawn Michaels
- JBL

Villains:

- The Joker (Scariest villain ever)
- Penguin
- Ernst Stavro Blofeld
- Mumra
- Doctor Eggman

Hates:

Movies:

- Frodo (from LOTR): The reason why I hated some of the movie. I wanted him to die :cry:
- Neo (From Craptrix)
- Gollum: Another LOTR annoying character… good thing he died!

Cartoon:

- Mickey Mouse
- Felix The Cat
- Fred Flinstone
- Top Cat
- Huckleberry Hound
- Snugglep***
- Yogi Bear
- Jerry Mouse
- Lilo and Stitch
The list goes on…

Anime/Manga:

- Shinji Ikari: Too wimpy
- Gluttony (FMA)
- Envy (Used to like him after I figured out that he's a male)
- Ryu & Ken

Comic:

- Superman
- Dilturd (I meant Dullbert)
- Snoopy
- Charlie Brown
Any lame gag comic characters

Wrestling:

- Sulk Hogan
- RVD
- Sting

Villains:

- Bowser (Super Mario): He fails being a villain
- Rat King (TMNT)

Enjoy… Las Vegas-y
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:37PM
subcultured at 1:21PM, March 19, 2007
(online)
is carlos mencia a character?

J
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:01PM
kaminari at 4:12PM, March 19, 2007
(online)
Of the top of my head (and there's probably more, better ones if I really thought about it)

but Favorite:
Alex from A Clockwork Orange

Least Favorite:
Miaka from Fushigi Yuugi

How could all those guys like her so much? She was a friggen obnoxious moron that made me want to vomit in terror!!

I am FS2 champion! w00t!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:13PM
suzi at 7:43PM, March 19, 2007
(online)
It's kind of tough to make myself say this since I read this book for school, but I'd say one of my all time favorite characters ever is Jack Burden from All The King's Men (the book, I didn't see the movie that came out last year). It's been a while since I read it, but he was…I don't know. So intensely likable to me. Mixed up and backwards and sentimental, awkward, intelligent and secretly poetic and always so innocent under all the corruption around him. Seeing the plot through his eyes was just … incredible.

That book made me want to write.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
mechanical_lullaby at 8:59AM, March 20, 2007
(online)
Favorite from a

Movie Jessica Rabbit. No contest. Sex sells. Also Darth Vader. He was the only good villain to ever come from StarWars.
Book from Good Omens it would have to be Crowley and Azeriphel both of them. Especially from a book.

Least favorite from a
Movieany villians who don't have the guff to do it themselves i.e. leave the heros in some flawed death machine
Book alot of the characters in Lirael. They're pretty standard characters. Kind of dull. I know people will probably hate me for this, but I dislike a lot of the heros and villains in Harry Potter. They're marysue ish and kind of bland, but that comes from kids books I guess. I do like that Rowling made the book so that as the kids got older, they got much longer with higher vocabulary. At the same time it can be an awkward read sometimes.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:56PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 12:11PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
Anyone who has read HVH knows my favorite Disney movie character…

“Mufasa, Mufasa, MUFASA!”
kingofsnake at 12:20PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
Thats coincidental because Simba is my least favorite movie character

Favorite movie character: Rocco - The Boondock Saints. Close on his tails would probably Inspector Tequila from Hardboiled.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
mlai at 1:11PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
No categories, off the top of my head…

Loves:
Solid Snake of Metal Gear.
Heathcliff of Wuthering Heights.
Hugh Jackman as (realistic, uncostumed, and un-X'ed) Wolverine in roadhouse scene and trailer truck scene.
Yagami Light of Death Note.

Commonalities: Badass, dark, gruff, and deep. Yagami because he's the coolest villain ever.

Hates:
Urkel - Reminds me of someone who irked me in elementary school.
Shinji of Evangelion - I'll pay money for 5 minutes to beat him up with.
Every single hospital employee in Gray's Anatomy. - That show drives me nuts. Maybe if we neuter and splay every single employee in that cesspool, we'll have an actual functioning hospital.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:05PM
ccs1989 at 1:24PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
Crazy Dutchman
Cartoon: The Avatar. He sucks.

Don't make me Internet-Punch you.
Haha, but seriously, I can see how Aang is kind of annoying. He's happy-go-lucky in a world where people are dying, and only he has the power to stop it. At the same time however he's trying to master all the elements while maintaining a clarity that doesn't become cynical. Also…it's a kids show, on Nickleodeon for Gods sakes, so I forgive them for making the main character like this. At least he's not like Shinji, aka emo all the time. He fights when he has to and doesn't whine. But there ARE parts of episodes where I want to punch him.

Avatar Roku is infinitely more badass, and has the coolest voice ever.

"suzi
It's kind of tough to make myself say this since I read this book for school, but I'd say one of my all time favorite characters ever is Jack Burden from All The King's Men (the book, I didn't see the movie that came out last year). It's been a while since I read it, but he was…I don't know. So intensely likable to me. Mixed up and backwards and sentimental, awkward, intelligent and secretly poetic and always so innocent under all the corruption around him. Seeing the plot through his eyes was just … incredible.

Yeah, All the King's Men is a good book. If it weren't for Watchmen then it would probably be my favorite novel ever. Problem is they didn't really develope Wilie Stark all that much because of the time spent developing Jack's character. But I like how cynical he is, and his idea of the “great sleep” and the twitch being somehow a symbol of God.

They f-ed up the movie though.

suzi at 6:52PM, March 20, 2007
(online)
ccs1989
Yeah, All the King's Men is a good book. If it weren't for Watchmen then it would probably be my favorite novel ever. Problem is they didn't really develope Wilie Stark all that much because of the time spent developing Jack's character. But I like how cynical he is, and his idea of the “great sleep” and the twitch being somehow a symbol of God.

They f-ed up the movie though.

Oh man, I forgot about the Twitch.

Yeah, I had wanted to see the movie until I found out that Jude Law was playing Jack … he's just … too handsome? It didn't sound right. Also, I was pretty sure they would screw up the plot by focusing on the politics, which I feel wasn't -actually- the purpose of the book. It was a story of corruption, yes, but profoundly based in human nature, communication, family and relationships, not political intrigue. And that's what Hollywood would pick up on. So I'm assuming you saw it? Is that what they did?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:05PM
Crazy Dutchman at 7:59AM, March 21, 2007
(offline)
ccs1989
Don't make me Internet-Punch you.
Haha, but seriously, I can see how Aang is kind of annoying. He's happy-go-lucky in a world where people are dying, and only he has the power to stop it. At the same time however he's trying to master all the elements while maintaining a clarity that doesn't become cynical. Also…it's a kids show, on Nickleodeon for Gods sakes, so I forgive them for making the main character like this. At least he's not like Shinji, aka emo all the time. He fights when he has to and doesn't whine. But there ARE parts of episodes where I want to punch him.

Avatar Roku is infinitely more badass, and has the coolest voice ever.

Well, maybe it's the horrible Dutch voice-over that makes him so irritating. I don't like the series at all, and that's mostly because I don't like any of the characters (the ones I've seen, I only watched a few episodes). I find the story to be pretty lame and in most cases the humor is kind of misplaced… or maybe that's because I just can't take the whole show seriously in the first place. It looks fine with the drawings and animation and all but next to that there's nothing for me to like about it.
But I know for sure there are a lot worse cartoon-characters, I just can't think of any.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:48AM
ccs1989 at 12:46PM, March 21, 2007
(online)
That's too bad. The English version is six ways of awesome. I guess it's kind of the same with anime. Original Japanese is good, but dubbed anime sucks.

Suzi- As for the movie, it was alright, but not great. The thing is they don't do it in a way that really emotionally impacts the viewer at the end. Also they focus too much on Willie and not enough on Jack.

LIZARD_B1TE at 2:08PM, March 21, 2007
(online)
kingofsnake
Thats coincidental because Simba is my least favorite movie character

That's because his name isn't nearly as fun to say as “Mufasa”!
kingofsnake at 6:30PM, March 21, 2007
(online)
Shakaka - Ace Ventura 2
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
fern at 7:16PM, March 21, 2007
(online)
subcultured
is carlos mencia a character?

sub really loathes that guy…

yay!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
isukun at 11:34AM, March 22, 2007
(online)
Well, maybe it's the horrible Dutch voice-over that makes him so irritating.

It's probably just the series in general. There are a lot of people in the US who don't understand the obsession some have with Avatar.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved