Media Megaforum

Favourite Hayao Miyazaki film?
ozoneocean at 5:18PM, March 11, 2006
(online)
I notice there’s quite a love-fest going on here for Hayao Miyazaki… I’m sure there are people around that either hate, or couldn’t care less about his movies, but since most people here seem to like them it would be interesting to know which ones you like most.

So, which one’s your fave?

Out of the ones I’ve seen, Spirited Away is still my favourite.
I quite like My Neighbour Totoro, Porco Rosso was lovely, and so were Whisper of the Heart and The Cat Returns- those are all my second favourites. The others don’t really excite me that much, (although I did really like Nausicaa when I first saw it, but that was a looooong time ago) … And I still haven’t seen Howl’s moving castle so I can’t say about that one.

I don’t get the thing about Princess Mononoke either. I found it a bit dull personally.

Your faves?

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
simonitro at 6:28PM, March 11, 2006
(online)
Haven't watch anything else but Spirited Away is an amazing movie!

Enjoy… Las Vegas-y
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:37PM
ccs1989 at 6:53PM, March 11, 2006
(online)
All of his movies are good ('cept Nausicaa in my opinion) but Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service are my favorites.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
kyupol at 7:40PM, March 11, 2006
(online)
nausicaa and the valley of the wind.

Remember watchin that when I was 5 yrs old… and when I saw those giant insects and fire demons, it scared the shit outta me. :shock:

His storylines are good, but I'm not a fan of the way he draws people. His drawings of animals are the best and most expressive I've seen in all the anime I've watched.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:24PM
marine at 8:17PM, March 11, 2006
(offline)
I've only seen the Princess Mononoke one, and bits of Spirted Away. I thought Princess Mononoke was pretty badass to be honest.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:51PM
SarahN at 10:31PM, March 11, 2006
(online)
Well, after I see Howl's Moving Castle I'll make my decision. Right now I think it's My Neighbor Totoro, because it was an old favorite when I was growing up.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:22PM
Hawk at 11:46PM, March 11, 2006
(online)
As much as I liked Howl, Spirited Away still wins. Princess Monoke had cooler moments, but in the end wasn't as easy to relate to and understand as Spirited Away.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:45PM
ozoneocean at 5:21AM, March 12, 2006
(online)
Hawk
As much as I liked Howl, Spirited Away still wins. Princess Monoke had cooler moments, but in the end wasn't as easy to relate to and understand as Spirited Away.
Easy to relate to? Hmm, that might be it, especially with Chihiro (?) comming from the real world like that.
But I felt Mononoke was covering a lot of those tired old themes of angry nature, wild children, and big destruction…

Wow, A lot of people like Spirited away :-D

I'd like to know about some that I haven't seen yet though, appart from Howl.

So far I've seen My Neighbour Totoro, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Laputa Castle In the Sky, and Kiki's delivery service… are there more? There are aren't there!? :D

Whisper of the Heart, The Cat Returns, and Grave of the fireflys… are all just Studio Ghibli. But still great ^^

This website here lists a lot of things, but I'd like reccomendations

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:23PM
hpkomic at 8:23AM, March 12, 2006
(online)
I saw Howl's Moving Castle the other night, it was pretty good, it's rare an old woman is the hero of any story.

Personally though, I liked Mononoke more. Ashitaka is a great heroic character, and unlike most of Myazaki's films, it's him the story focuses on, a male, rather than a female. It was an interesting approach and one to my knowledge he doesn't do often.

Also, I loved the monsters and the action.

Spirited Away was an adorable movie, I loved it a lot.

Is it just me or does Studio Ghibli do the best slime effects EVER?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
ccs1989 at 2:28PM, March 12, 2006
(online)
I really could NOT get into Castle in the Sky…or Laputa or whatever it's name was. I saw it in English, and that might have been part of it, but the whole thing felt too much like an anime with that bad guy being there. The thing that Miazaki does amazingly in his movies is creating suspense and conflict without there being a relegated ‘bad guy’. But Castle in the Sky had one…and that just made it more run-of-the-mill. :|

I did like Porco Rosso though, even if it's not quite as good as some of the others. Those ariel battles were stupendous.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:37AM
Hawk at 4:47PM, March 12, 2006
(online)
Tater Salad
The dub is quite good, despite them calling Tanukis “Raccoons”, (probably to make it easier to match the flap) and scrotums “Pouches” (So they could keep a PG rating… Despite the quite morbid deaths of a few humans).

Ha Ha! I almost was going to watch Raccoon Wars in English, just to see how they dealt witht the killer scrotums issue. I had seen it in Japanese, and knowing the story behind Tanukis and their nutsacks made the movie hilarious.

Christian Bale was a kickass Howl, and Billy Crystal was pretty good as Calcifer. I would have preferred James Woods, and at first I thought it was Woods. :P

You know, it's funny. I left the theater thinking it was James Woods as well.
isukun at 5:38AM, March 13, 2006
(online)
I almost was going to watch Raccoon Wars in English, just to see how they dealt witht the killer scrotums issue.

I have the English version, but have yet to watch it. I've seen the fansubs several times and i was quite surprised Disney even decided to release it. I am kind of curious how they handle the mass suicides in one part of the film.

With Miyazaki there are different movies that I appreciate for different reasons. I like the more dramatic qualities of Nausicaa, but Castle of Cagliostro and Porco Rosso are just fun movies. Totoro is cute and has some semi-autobiographical elements concerning Miyazaki and his brother when they were growing up.

.: isukun :.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
isukun at 11:00AM, March 13, 2006
(online)
Castle of Cogliostro was a Ghibli film?

No, it wasn't, but the topic was what is your favorite Hayao Miyazaki film, and it is one of his movies.

isukun at 8:57AM, March 15, 2006
(online)
Well, it looks like Miyazaki may finally leave Studio Ghibli. I'll be interested to see how his son does with the new movie based on the Earthsea books, however.

Eggbert at 11:48AM, March 15, 2006
(offline)
I just saw Howl's Moving Castle and man was it good. I think it may be my favorite now.

Has anyone seen My Neighbors the Yamada's? The one with the bizzare sketchy art style? How is that one?
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:19PM
Ian Jay at 1:53PM, March 19, 2006
(offline)
UPDATE! I saw Howl's Moving Castle last night, and while I was certainly entertained, I wouldn't say it's my favorite of Miyazaki's movies.

You see, while the animation was good (it was entertaining just to watch that castle move) and the characters had a lot of heart (the kid was adequately cute, the heroine had the standard amount of pluck, Billy Crystal did an unexpectedly good job as the voice of Calcifer– and was that or was that not the most awesomest small dog you have ever seen?), the plot left something to be desired, especially at the end of the movie. First off, why are we having a war in the first place? I don't need a whole lot of exposition on why there's a fight going on, but it's kind of ridiculous just to pitch us into the action without an explanation. Why did everybody have a beef with Howl when he just wanted to be alone? And what was up with the end– Sophie had to travel back in time to tell Howl's past self to save her (even though he already did by stopping that bomb from hitting her house) and then Sophie tracks down Howl's heart, puts it back in, and everything's suddenly okay again? (The first thing Howl says upon waking: “Sophie, your hair looks like starlight!” That's odd. I would have expected something more along the lines of “Holy crap, I'm not dead!”)

And then Turniphead turns out to be a prince, and Calcifer agrees to stay with Howl and Sophie, and the war is called off, and that just bugs me the most of all. That's too neat of an ending! Especially after everything leading up to it! Why does Solomon even decide to call the war off, anyways? That's like saying, "Oh, I'm gonna change my entire foreign policy because my former student and current archrival is gonna get laid!“ That's stupid. I'm sorry. It's like Miyazaki was running out of time when he was writing the script and just said, ”You know what? Screw it." And don't even get me started on the ham-handed anti-war message.

I didn't think that it was a bad movie, though. It just… could have been written better, is all. It didn't have the same rhythm and snap that Spirited Away had. Sorry.

~IJ
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
PoisonedV at 4:41PM, March 19, 2006
(offline)
Tater Salad
Well, all of his movies are sorta like Seinfeld or Azumanga Daioh. You have characters, then… Stuff happens. They're movies about nothing, really.

AZUMANGA DAOIH ROCKS!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:46PM
Jillers at 5:14PM, March 19, 2006
(offline)
The thing that I like best about Miyazaki movies is that none of them are the same as the next, so for m, perosnally, it's hard to say which one my favorite is. But, I'm gonna' go out on a limb and pick my top three…
Castle in the Sky: Laputa
Pom Poko
My Neighbor Totoro.

Totoro is the only anime I know that has ever made a goth kid squeal in glaee, and hop onto a couch saying “Totoro!”

If it was physically possible - he would have turned chibi… and I don't mean some preteen goth or anything, full fledged black trnch coat wearing, serious faced, cross sportin “I love black” 20 year old goth.

Miyazaki is magic
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
Jillers at 5:22PM, March 19, 2006
(offline)
Huh, good call on that - I just usually associate Studio Ghibli with Miyazaki.. in which case, I'll amend the list.
Laputa, Totoro, and Mononoke Hime.

Though I have yet to see Howl's Moving Castle…

Though, I still heart Pom Poko. =)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:08PM
8bitbluemage at 5:24PM, March 19, 2006
(offline)
I've seen Kiki's Delivery Service, but it was soooo long ago I can't remember it. I do remember that I liked though. I did however see Spirited Away. Man that was a good movie.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
isukun at 7:27AM, March 20, 2006
(online)
I don't need a whole lot of exposition on why there's a fight going on, but it's kind of ridiculous just to pitch us into the action without an explanation.

I didn't think the point of the war was all that important. What bugged me, though, is that it seemed like the war revolved around Howl. Somehow what happened with Howl defined whether or not the war was worth fighting. The rushed ending really seemed to bring that message across to me. Since he didn't really care about either side, I don't see why his personal affairs should even matter.

Why did everybody have a beef with Howl when he just wanted to be alone?

Too many people liked him. At least, the Witch of the Waste and Madame Suliman.

Sophie had to travel back in time to tell Howl's past self to save her (even though he already did by stopping that bomb from hitting her house)

That's odd. I'm kind of glad I didn't watch the dub, then. It doesn't play out like that in the Japanese. Of course, Disney is known for changing some things in their translations or offering more exposition than is necessary for us stupid Americans who apparently can't grasp things without it being spelled out for us.

Ian Jay at 1:34PM, March 20, 2006
(offline)
isukun
That's odd. I'm kind of glad I didn't watch the dub, then. It doesn't play out like that in the Japanese. Of course, Disney is known for changing some things in their translations or offering more exposition than is necessary for us stupid Americans who apparently can't grasp things without it being spelled out for us.

…Yes. But I must be even more stupid than most, 'cause I still didn't know what was going on.

~IJ
Eggbert at 4:39PM, March 20, 2006
(offline)
The prince was the most bizzare thing about the ending. If you actually paid attention at the beggining of the movie, some of the background dialouge said that the opposing kingdom's prince had gone missing. That was the reason for the war. So actually, the war just ending makes sense, since the attacking country thought that the other country had kiddnapped the prince.

The movie didn't do a very good job of pointing this out, however.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:19PM
Hawk at 5:54PM, March 20, 2006
(online)
I think there's a fine line between explaining too much like the audience is dumb and implying so much that the audience doesn't figure it out.

In Spirited Away, I felt like the English dialog was enhanced just enough to make it more understandable without just giving it all away. I may not always agree with voices they pick though… that's why I usually see it in Japanese first anyway.

Most botched voices in Studio Ghibli films:
Gillian Anderson as a wolf - I love Agent Scully, but it was just the wrong matchup.
Whoever did the voice of the girl in the English version of Grave of the Fireflies - Seriously, people. Watch this one in Japanese, or else it will be a happy ending.
isukun at 6:58AM, March 21, 2006
(online)
Gillian Anderson as a wolf - I love Agent Scully, but it was just the wrong matchup.

I couldn't agree with that more. Although I thought Mononoke Hime was kind of an exposition of mismatched voices in the English dub. Gillian Anderson just doesn't have the voice of an old woman. Plus who though Billy Bob Thorton as a Buddhist monk was a good idea?

Ian Jay at 3:44PM, March 22, 2006
(offline)
isukun

I couldn't agree with that more. Although I thought Mononoke Hime was kind of an exposition of mismatched voices in the English dub. Gillian Anderson just doesn't have the voice of an old woman. Plus who though Billy Bob Thorton as a Buddhist monk was a good idea?

Oh, I thought that was just awesome!

And Eggbert, you're right about that prince detail. If they'd have emphasized that a little more, then the movie might have had a little more coherence.

~IJ
jalford at 1:18AM, March 24, 2006
(online)
I gotta go with Castle Of Cagliostro. It's just Lupin at his best, and one of the few times Miyazaki handled another owner's anime franchise. I hope Disney never gets their hands on this one, because I don't need Will Farrell doing Mr. the 3rd.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
isukun at 7:24AM, March 24, 2006
(online)
Being an executive producer doesn't really mean much in terms of making a movie. Producers generally have no creative input in a film. They're more responsible for the financial end of things.

I hope Disney never gets their hands on this one, because I don't need Will Farrell doing Mr. the 3rd.

That would be kind of hard since most of it has been divided up between Manga, Geneon, and Funimation. Everything in the series that was handled by Miyazaki has already been bought by other distributors and nothing in the series is owned by Studio Ghibli. The odds of Disney getting it at this point are pretty nil.

jalford at 2:12PM, March 24, 2006
(online)
Although most of the vocal selections Disney got for their dubs of the movies were horrible. In the first couple of ones, they just got whatever trendy actor/actress who was hot at the moment. They did Castle In The Sky that way, but then it got put on cryogenics for nearly 3 years until Disney got the rest of the Ghibli films licensed.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
Ian Jay at 7:12PM, March 26, 2006
(offline)
My God. It is just crazy enough to work.

~IJ

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved