Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Fear of Failing
daniel_the_drummer at 4:18PM, June 23, 2007
(offline)
I have a huge fear of failing when it comes to my biggest dream, which is creating comics. I have hundreds of ideas and i am a really good story teller and artist, but i just cant bring myself to put my stuff online. I am worried that if some of my stuff sucks that it will be held against my name for ever and that i'll constantly be judged for it. Any one got any tips for getting this fear? Any advice at all would be a great help.

Thanks,
Dan
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:05PM
StaceyMontgomery at 5:28PM, June 23, 2007
(offline)
Use a psuedonym for now. Do all your comics under an obvious internet name. That way, if you're ashamed of them, you can pretend they never happened.

Though, to be honest, old stuff doesnt get held against you. If you learn and get better, people will compliment you for learning and improving!

But the trick with fears like that is that it's hard to get rid of them with logic, so for now, just focus on the real part - making the comics. Just make the comics. Make them under a fake name. Make them and don't show anybody. Make them and deny you made them. make them and burn them. ANYTHING so long as it involves you making comics. And dont spend time thinking about whether they are good, or your reputation, or any of that crap. Make the best damn comics you can, and then come back and make much better ones.

And keep doing it until you win.

And if you work really, really hard, people will tell you that you were a “natural” all along.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:55PM
daniel_the_drummer at 5:35PM, June 23, 2007
(offline)
Thank you very, very much! I just spend to much time thinking about making comics instead of actually making comics. I have got an awful lot of college and animation work to do tomorrow, but i am gonna try my damndest to upload my first piece of work, no matter what it is.
dueeast at 5:40PM, June 23, 2007
(online)
I hate fear. Fear paralyzes and it tortures silently.

Fear of failure is the worst. I do sympathize but I can encourage, too.

Art is about risk. Every single person is going to have some kind of different view about any topic imaginable. Your comic might be new and it might be elementary or it might be great already (and you may be exhibiting a typical artist trait of being too hard on yourself). Some people will love your comic and some will hate it and some will be in-between.

The best tip I can offer for getting over the fear is to tackle it head on by believing in yourself, taking a chance and putting your comics online. You have nothing to lose and experience to gain. Don't put it online for other people, put it online for yourself. Even when you're afraid, put the comics online anyway. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

I wish you well!

last edited on July 14, 2011 12:17PM
daniel_the_drummer at 5:43PM, June 23, 2007
(offline)
Thank you for your kind and very inspiring words. Everyone is so nice on this site. A great community on here. Thanks again.
junkyb at 6:07PM, June 23, 2007
(offline)
Hoy! I know how you feel. Art is a hobby to me, because I don't have the tough skin for the criticism and competitiveness of the job market. But as you mentioned, I have yet to meet a jerk on this site; every one is nurturing, helpful, and at the same time honest with criticism. Hosting your work here can help you grow as an artist :)

Hope to see your stuff soon! :)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:11PM
daniel_the_drummer at 6:16PM, June 23, 2007
(offline)
Thanks alot. Hopefully i'll be uploading some stuff real soon, i've got a lot of ideas and am very excited about bringing them to light. I'm gonna check out your stuff now.

Dan
arteestx at 8:54PM, June 23, 2007
(online)
For me, the biggest fear is not being judged by other people, but rather by myself. I am my own worst critic and that has definitely held me back. But if you enjoy what you're doing artistically, if you find satisfaction in the attempt, then you got to go for it and give it a try. Do it for yourself, try to meet your own expectations. You'll probably find that others out there are not the ones that are going to judge you or hold anything against you. The most judgemental, unforgiving person is probably going to be yourself.

Accept that your resulting art is not going to be everything you want it to be. If you're a perfectionist like me, you're going to disappoint yourself, and that's ok. Do your best, follow your artistic bliss personally, push yourself, and then learn from the experience for the next time! But the only way to learn and grow and become better is by trying. Good luck!

Xolta is not intended for anyone under 18 years old.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:02AM
bryan at 10:41PM, June 23, 2007
(offline)
A wise green muppet once said: “Do or do not. There is no try.”

Muppet or not… what I think yoda is refering to is that ya just need to do it. Stop fearing it (it's a path to the dark side! :P), and just do it.

Of course, he could also have been refering to lifting an X-Wing out of a swamp with some mystical energy field that can effect everything.

:P
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:35AM
Darth Mongoose at 2:05AM, June 24, 2007
(online)
You say you're a very good artist and story writer, but you're afraid of being judged, but people aren't going to judge your badly if you make very good comics, right?
I think the real fear you have is of discovering you're not as great as you like to think. It's nothing to be ashamed of, I was like that when I first started putting stuff online. My friends at school all thought I was great, but I was afraid that showing my work to a wider audience, they wouldn't be impressed, and my fragile ego would be crushed.
In the end though, it was exactly what I needed, to have stuff I do badly pointed out. I developed an attitude of ‘oh that person thinks I can’t draw backgrounds? Well then, I'll just have to work on backgrounds and make the next page have environmental detail that'll wow the pants off ‘em!’ Addressing your weaknesses is the best way to improve.

People won't remember bad stuff forever. People don't go out of their way to read and remember bad comics. Anybody remember the terrible comic I made when I was in my teens called ‘Stereo’ed'? Um, nope. Barely anybody read it! Even if they DO remember, you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that most people, rather than saying ‘oh god, you made that crappy comic a few years back, I’m not reading anything you make!' will usually say ‘wow! You sure have come on since that crappy comic you made a few years back! Well done!’

In the end, even the least talented among us has something to be proud of, and that's that they're MAKING A COMIC. Anybody can say ‘oh, I could make a good comic’, but not just anybody can sit down and devote time and effort on a regular basis and actually make the thing. Don't expect readers flooding in after three pages. Sometimes it takes years and loads of pages to get readers (I barely had any until I reached around 70 pages, then suddenly my faves climbed steadily from about 15 to over 100 in a mere few months!). I think so long as you do your best, people will notice your effort and enjoy your comic.
Good luck!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:08PM
daniel_the_drummer at 2:06AM, June 24, 2007
(offline)
Cheers, guys. Just checked out your comics, great stuff!
FAL at 6:30AM, June 24, 2007
(offline)
As the slogan Nike used some time ago: Just do it.

Reading your words I'm sure I'll enjoy your work, because I think when an artist is really enthusiastic about what he's doing it really shows no matter the quality of the drawings.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
daniel_the_drummer at 6:41AM, June 24, 2007
(offline)
Wow! Thanks Fal. I am goin to try to get some stuff up on here asap, i just got one week of college left and then i'm going to spain for a week where i plan to write the first few pages of the project i've decided to upload on here. I do plan to upload a teaser or something, though, before i go. I'm not going to say what the project is just yet. But o quote Dr. Bob Kelso (Scrubs ‘Thanks for the kind words gang!’.

Dan
djeffcoate at 9:32AM, June 24, 2007
(online)
Hey Dan, thanks for the cameo ideas, three of the ones mentioned are already in series 2, which i've nearly finished. on a point thats more relevent to this topic, you got no reason to worry about failing…i've seen ya work, its awesome. Your gonna go as far as ya want.

Dai (",)
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:12PM
daniel_the_drummer at 3:00PM, June 24, 2007
(offline)
Cheers Dai. I've been working on preliminary sketches for the first project i'm uploading onto the site today (i should've been doing college work), but to your disappointment, it is not the certain project (which is not to be named on this site, yet). You know the one i'm talking about.

Dan
D0m at 3:02PM, June 24, 2007
(online)
daniel_the_drummer
I have a huge fear of failing when it comes to my biggest dream, which is creating comics. I have hundreds of ideas and i am a really good story teller and artist, but i just cant bring myself to put my stuff online. I am worried that if some of my stuff sucks that it will be held against my name for ever and that i'll constantly be judged for it. Any one got any tips for getting this fear? Any advice at all would be a great help.

Thanks,
Dan

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that you know our advice before we even say it.

Draw the thing already. :-)

DD is a very nice community- people will support you, and the greatest artists you'll see here are down-to-earth and just like you in the end.

My first comic, Nadya, began as a simple idea and an impulse to prove that I -can- make comics. Now I wake up every morning thinking about the damn thing, and I love it. I'm 11 pages in and don't plan on stopping anytime soon. Sketch your ideas, write your scripts and crank those pages out.

Nadya- a tale about what happens to SOME of us when we die.

Currently: Nadya is awake and asking more relevant questions.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:02PM
daniel_the_drummer at 3:12PM, June 24, 2007
(offline)
Thanks, pal. Very supportive of you. I was actually working on preliminary sketches earlier today and hope to be posting stuff regularly like you guys.

Cheers, Dan
patrickdevine at 9:52PM, July 2, 2007
(online)
Well here's an observation that might be encouraging: You've already got more than a few of us interested enough to want to read your comic and none of us even know anything about it! I think you're at a really great starting point and I can't wait! Apart from that what can I say that hasn't been said already? I think everyone's afraid of failure at some point.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
legomegacy at 5:32AM, July 3, 2007
(online)
Hi.
I am fairly new here as well. I have gotten one comment thatwould seem rude, but you know what I got ten others that weren't. Those ten push me foward. I guess I am writing beacuse I know what it feels like to be a first timer and alls I know is that the more people who actually spoke to me online the better I felt. You have my support. Do it!!!
Good luck. I know it is scary!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved