Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

featured
jagular at 8:20AM, Nov. 24, 2007
(online)
just wondering, how can you get your comic featured?
If anything bad happens,I'm blaming Global Warming.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
CharleyHorse at 8:40AM, Nov. 24, 2007
(offline)
Hello jagular, here's the link that will give you all the information on getting featured:http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?tid=25367&cid=227

I think that the general rules are that the artist has to stick as faithfully as possible to his or her announced upload schedule, make it obvious through the quality of either the art work or the storytelling process that some real and sincere effort has been put into the ongoing project, have a relatively respectable backlog of strips or pages , and don't use copyrighted material.

There's probably more do-s and don't-s, but that's what struck my eye when I skimmed over the information. I hope this helps.

CharleyHorse
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:40AM
mlai at 9:16AM, Nov. 24, 2007
(online)
CharleyHorse
…and don't use copyrighted material.
Specifically, what is said is that sprite comics that use copyrighted material will not be featured. This is because those types of sprites aren't drawn by the authors themselves.

It never mentions that fan comics will not be featured, any hidden bias against fan comics notwithstanding. Because if a blanket bias against all "copyrighted materials" is present, even something like Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen would never be featured. And that would be just stupid.

No matter how good L.E.G. is, at its heart it's a fan comic.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
kyupol at 9:17AM, Nov. 24, 2007
(online)
CharleyHorse
I think that the general rules are that the artist has to stick as faithfully as possible to his or her announced upload schedule, make it obvious through the quality of either the art work or the storytelling process that some real and sincere effort has been put into the ongoing project, have a relatively respectable backlog of strips or pages , and don't use copyrighted material.

Not necessarily. I've seen ‘featured comics’ that don't even deserve to be there.

Though treat it like a lottery thingy. Its not you get to win it but if you do so, be glad about it.

Other things might affect it like admin/mod bias. (The most poorly drawn, poorly written comic has more chance to be featured than anything I do lol)

Not all comics that follow those so-called ‘guidelines’ will be featured. Deal with it.
NOW UPDATING!!!
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:25PM
angry_black_guy at 10:57AM, Nov. 24, 2007
(offline)
It never mentions that fan comics will not be featured, any hidden bias against fan comics notwithstanding. Because if a blanket bias against all “copyrighted materials” is present, even something like Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen would never be featured. And that would be just stupid.

Yeah, but all the characters in LEG are open domain just like the characters in Fables (which is a fantastic comic book series… read it!). Originally, Moore wanted Bond to be the father/grandfather of James Bond but because it's a copyrighted character he couldn't write it; only hint at it.

While there's some questionable featured comics, for the most part I approve of the choices. Ocean's topic explains things pretty well but I'd like to add some general tips:

1: The more unique your comic is, the higher chance it has to go up. There's been quite a few experimental comics that pop up which have made me smile.

2: Art isn't a totally deciding factor. The admin's do a good job selecting comics that have effort put in all categories from story, lettering, and art. I've seen dull looking comics with snappy writing but at the same time, rather boring comics with attractive art. Most of the featured comics strike a balance but sometimes an unbalanced comic leaks in.

3: If you update frequently, you're almost guaranteed to get in. Frequently is generally once or twice a week. If you deviate from that or use a lot of filler like character art or posters, then you hurt your chances.

4: If you post on the forums or are popular, you have a higher chance of getting featured. There's hundreds of comics here, the admins obviously can't look at every single one. A lot of the featured comics are often recommended off-handed in various topics and simply mentioning something in a topic that one of the admins hasn't heard of will usually cause them to scramble to read it just to see if its featured material.

Just look at some of the topics in the comic discussion like “What's your favorite dd comic” or “what do you have favorited?” I remember posting my favorites list in a topic and the next three features happened to be on my list.

So basically, just be dedicated to your work and spread the word. You can't be popular if no ones heard of you and no one will like your comic if you didn't put work into it.

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:52AM
mlai at 11:56AM, Nov. 24, 2007
(online)
Someone
Yeah, but all the characters in LEG are open domain just like the characters in Fables (which is a fantastic comic book series… read it!). Originally, Moore wanted Bond to be the father/grandfather of James Bond but because it's a copyrighted character he couldn't write it; only hint at it.
Heheh, I knew somebody would mention this fine point. But the point stands that Alan Moore did not “create” these characters, even if they're open domain. Unlike Fables which I assume uses faery tale characters, which often have unknown (original) creators and are caricatures allowing character expansion, LXG uses in-depth characters from known original authors/books, so that makes LXG categorically a (very good) “fan comic.”

I could see a problem with fan comics if they're seeking profit, and DD fears an eventual C&D from the copyrights. But that's worrymongering if they're just free webcomics; if DD was gonna get sued, Capcom and Sega would have sued it years ago, lol.

FIGHT current chapter: Filling In The Gaps
FIGHT_2 current chapter: Light Years of Gold
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:06PM
skoolmunkee at 3:15AM, Nov. 26, 2007
(online)
Just to clarify a few things, then I'll lock this, as there's already a thread about it. :)

1) We now avoid any copyrighted material. We tried featuring a comic with Wolverine (Weapon X) and there was some kind of kerfuffle, and we've been told not to do that now.

2) Everyone's tastes are different and with 5 admins (and some ‘recommenders’) the point is to get a variety of comics that stand out to us in some way. :) I disagree with some of the choices myself, but if every comic had to be approved by everyone, we wouldn't get anywhere.

Everything else is more or less right. :)
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:40PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved