Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Feeling cynical.
A Reaver at 11:47AM, Feb. 6, 2011
(online)
No they didnt. I am the first person to do anything ever. Thats why I post about it online. To let the world know how much better I am than them. WORSHIP ME!!!

Shiny new comic.
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
lefarce at 7:56PM, Feb. 6, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
Cynicism is serious F***ing business. Read up on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynics

I don't want to start a whole argument or anything, but I really hate how you self-censor yourself. We all know what you're saying. It's “fucking”. We get it, we know. Just write it all out, please.

there ya go, i'm being cynical now doot doot doot A+ thread would read again 5/5

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:34PM
Ozoneocean at 8:55PM, Feb. 6, 2011
(online)
lefarce
I don't want to start a whole argument or anything, but I really hate how you self-censor yourself.
I hate it to… but ever since I became an admin I feel constrained not to explicitly swear. :(
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:37PM
lefarce at 10:40PM, Feb. 6, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
lefarce
I don't want to start a whole argument or anything, but I really hate how you self-censor yourself.
I hate it to… but ever since I became an admin I feel constrained not to explicitly swear. :(

tbh the reason it bugs me so much is it comes off more like you think everyone else is a dumb childe who won't get what word you're saying. you might want to run asterisks through the whole thing if you feel that obligated

just saying

Ozoneocean at 11:02PM, Feb. 6, 2011
(online)
lefarce
you think everyone else is a dumb childe who won't get what word you're saying
Welcome to my world :(

Naw. But most of the time it seems like people interpret everything I say as if I had that attitude.
lefarce at 11:05PM, Feb. 6, 2011
(online)
ozoneocean
lefarce
you think everyone else is a dumb childe who won't get what word you're saying
Welcome to my world :(

Naw. But most of the time it seems like people interpret everything I say as if I had that attitude.

Ozoneocean at 2:19AM, Feb. 7, 2011
(online)
Ok smartarse. I will now replace certain words with the word “smurf”.

You Smurfhole! ^_^
Ironscarf at 4:58AM, Feb. 8, 2011
(offline)
Did you ever see that directors redubbed version of Repo Man, where everybody became a Melon Farmer? Flip you Melon Farmer? It was flipping hilarious - you should refer to us all as Melon Farmers.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:02PM
DAJB at 11:42AM, Feb. 8, 2011
(online)
A Reaver
Im going back to the notion that therapists are witches who brain wash us into believing we're in the wrong so they can steal our money with placebos and weekly visits
Ummm - I don't think that's got anything to do with cynicism. I'm pretty sure that's just a fact …!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:04PM
AQua_ng at 3:59PM, Feb. 8, 2011
(offline)
Ironscarf
I'm all for cynicism as a world view: everything you hear from above is bullshit and whenever human beings are concerned it's going to go tits ups. Well yes, with this approach you're going to be 100% right 99% of the time - lets do it!

But to use that as an excuse to just sit on your ass or worse still, buy into shagging the system for your own benefit - well if you're going to be an asshole at least take responsibility - don't blame the rest of the world for your lack of backbone you mollusc.
This times ten gajillion. Although I would say arsehole instead of asshole.

Cynicism isn't usually the best way to view things, it's just lowering expectations so you don't make as much as an effort to ‘achieve’. When wrestling a bear you don't quit when you get tired. You quit when the bear gets tired.

Then again, I do notice a lot of my peers showing the same mindset asking me questions like ‘Do you think all of this is worth it?’ or something to that extent, which personally I don't understand since my life is all

Long post short, I find cynicism to be a cowardly mindset.

K.A.L.A-dan! Brigade Captain :D
K.A.L.A.-dan forums!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:59AM
elektro at 11:48PM, Feb. 8, 2011
(offline)
I'll be the first to admit it: I'm a definite cynic. Depending on my mood, it can border on nihilism at times. However, whenever I'm in public or meeting with someone, I try to not show that side of myself.

A good example: whenever I go to a job interview, I try to be respectful, give out a smile, answer their questions honestly and to the best of my ability, and hope to hear back from them at a later date. When I leave, I feel quite hopeful that I might actually land something. However, what can make me cynical is knowing that they will never get back to me even after I try contacting them a couple times, then after the third or fourth time contacting them (and not getting a response each time), they then decide to tell me that they're “still working out the logistics of the position”, when really that's code for “we'll lead you on for another month before we just completely ignore you altogether.” I've had something like this happen quite a few times, including very recently with a VOLUNTEER job. That's right, a job that doesn't even pay gives me the runaround like I'm a damn criminal (although I did finally get it). It's hard not to feel a little cynical after something like that.

Of course, having that cynicism and anger boiling up inside is not good for you. Making cartoons, for me, is a great way to let out all of that constructively without going completely bonkers (although I'm pretty bonkers to begin with). If it weren't for that, my own life would be a lot worse than it is now. Sure, I say it sucks now, but it could be far worse than it is. That's something I do have to remind myself at times.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:21PM
Abt_Nihil at 10:05AM, Feb. 17, 2011
(offline)
elektro: That actually describes my own mindset very well. I may have a cynical outlook and my writings will sound cynical, but I wouldn't let my cynicism influence my actions or my attitude towards other people. Quite simply because being good to others makes the world a better place, no matter how people will react and no matter what happens around you. Your own actions can make the world better. I'm idealistic that way. Even though I believe that realism implies cynicism…

…and most of my gripes with the world resurface in my comics. I consciously allow myself to be cynical that way ^_^
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:44AM
The Hamburglar at 2:10PM, Feb. 18, 2011
(online)
I'm cynical. Whenever I see a couple enjoying each other's company I go up and go “GRUMBLE GRUMBLE QUIT BEING HAPPY!”
NOPE
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:14PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon