Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

File Size
Scribe_Drizz at 4:58PM, Dec. 4, 2009
(online)
Hi. About a week ago, I answered a post in the Community section. Someone wanted help with proofreading and I have some free time. I've never helped anyone with a comic before and I wanted to try using Inkscape to get a feel for the tools. She doesn't seem to mind that I'm inexperienced, but I'm concerned about file size.

When she sends me a jpg, it's about 500x800 and 100K. When I import it into Inkscape, it look so tiny. I make it bigger. I use the same font she uses (at sizes 14-16) and I haven't used any special effects. When I export the file, it's a png about 700x1000 and 1M. She hasn't complained yet, but am I doing her a disservice?

She hasn't uploaded any of the pages I've sent her yet. Is it better to zoom in and work within the size she sent me? What's a good size for a comic page to be?

TIA,
S_D
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM
skoolmunkee at 1:58AM, Dec. 5, 2009
(online)
They may be visually different sizes because of their DPI. A comic with lower DPI appears smaller than a comic with higher DPI, even if they have the same ‘print’ size. (or maybe I have that backwards). I've never used Inkscape so I can't advise much beyond that.

As for the raw file size though, it's probably because she's sending you the pages in jpg format (which is compressed) and you are sending them back as pngs, which tend to be uncompressed. If the purpose is so you can show her the changes and she can remake them herself, then you don't need to send her anything so high quality.

however if she's sending you the files, you make the edits, and what you send her is the ‘final’ version, she should be sending YOU something higher quality. Then you should keep a high quality ‘finished’ version, and then prepare a lower quality jpg or something for posting on the web.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:43PM
El Cid at 6:12AM, Dec. 5, 2009
(online)
For a screen resolution jpeg, 500x800 is fine, but it's probably not going to print all that well, if she ever decides to go that route. An optimal printable equivalent would be something like 2100x3300 (that's like a 7x11 inch print, 300 dpi, if I calculated that right, which I might not have). Just my personal opinion here, but even if she doesn't plan on ever printing her work, it's better that she do her comic too big and shrink it when she posts online than do it too small, because that will limit her options down the road.

If you're enlarging the image, and she's shrinking it back down when she gets it back from you, then you're losing image quality in the process, though probably not very much. If she's just sending you a “low res” version for proofreading purposes and then doing the actual corrections herself on her originals, then you're not doing any harm. In any case, you might want to ask her and find out what exactly her production process is, so you can modify what you're doing accordingly.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:20PM
Scribe_Drizz at 7:06AM, Dec. 5, 2009
(online)
Thank you, both. I'll ask her more questions the next time we chat.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:24PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved