Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

finding the right font
raocow at 6:33PM, Jan. 26, 2008
(offline)
So as of now I've been starting my comic using hand-lettering but already I'm questioning the wisedome of such an idea - partly because I think it may create a legibility problem and partly because of wrist strain and ‘writing’ using a tablet.

Thing is, and I have had this problem in the past, is that I have problem finding a font that would fit naturaly within the art style of my comic thing.

I know the question is vague, but would anyone have any suggestion of some sort? I could maybe just take a hyper-formal font and play on it's jarring-ness (not Times New Roman or anything, but maybe… I dunno, Lucida?] but I'm not certain if that is something that is recommanded, really.

Gah.

Any help or leads or opinion appreciated!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:01PM
Skullbie at 6:54PM, Jan. 26, 2008
(online)
A while ago a kind user sent me a pq on fonts when I was using comic sans;
He/she suggested using Lafayette comic pro or ACME secret agent. And then using another font for my smaller text. (in my case, manga temple)

I would suggest typing over hand lettering ANY day.

It's consistent and hand-lettering is a HUGE
turn-off for some.
It also gives more freedom too should you know
how to use it.

The main dialouge text is better off being rounded and plain, nothing mechanical looking. And varied fonts make it easy for readers to put up with text heavy pages-but make sure your sound effects arn't TOO varied. (that's what i've found anyways)
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:44PM
mundy at 7:47AM, Jan. 27, 2008
(offline)
I'm pretty obsessed with fonts and my best piece of advice is you don't have to use a “comic book” font if it doesn't work. The best website I ever found was dafont.com where there's often fonts that you can use without paying unless you decide to print stuff and sell it using that font. It's also separated into categories so you could have a look through some of the handwriting fonts or distorted ones if you feel so inclined. The comics section also has some strange additions to it which aren't regular comic fonts. The best thing though is to find a selection and then test them out on an old page to see whether it fits or not artistically speaking.
Anyway www.dafont.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
Mirre at 9:08AM, Jan. 27, 2008
(offline)
I think you should choose fonts after the genre and style of the comic. if it's a comic with some comedy in it, I use Comic Sans. But now when I'm working on a darker comic I use Tahoma. It's important to have a font that is awailable to read at the very least :P
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:02PM
Fenn at 12:07PM, Jan. 27, 2008
(offline)
mundy
Anyway www.dafont.com
Fixed the link there. Also, www.blambot.com is good for free fonts that work well in a variety of situations.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
raocow at 12:12PM, Jan. 27, 2008
(offline)
Alrighty, thanks a lot for the hindsight everyone.

For some reason I was under the impression that handwritting was prefered, but it's obviously not the case. Well, at least according to this limited sample, heh.

Right-o, I'll be checking both sites, thank you very much all for your time!
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:01PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved