Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Fire! YARRR!
Kira Dwenna at 9:44AM, Oct. 25, 2006
(online)
I got most of the way through the work on my recent comic, and realized that I had no blithering clue how to draw fire.

I still posted it, using some half-baked attempt at little rippling flames (which you can find in my update here), but I would still like some critical advice and ideas for next time. Does anyone have any helpful hints on drawing the fourth element?

-Kira
Why be a Lesbian if you can't be Serious about it?

“Webcomics should be as fun to write, as they are to draw, as they are to read.”
-Kira
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Corvin at 9:59AM, Oct. 25, 2006
(offline)
this is my version of fire. basically, i watch a campfire for about twenty minutes to get a good idea of what it does.

fire is visble and radiant energy being released in a chemical reaction which means it always has certain properties. it always moves up to the highest point of fuel and consumes high to low. it also is wider at the base where the fresh fuel is rather than at the top where the fuel is more consumed. it is brighter in the middle and fainter around the edges, because the center of a fire is where the chemical reaction is taking place and because you are looking through more energy being released in the middle than along the edges. for this to make sense, think of fire as a transparent sphere or cylinder. if youre looking at it straight on, you see the whole side, but there is less space for light to travel through the closer you get to the edges, so you see more detail on the far side.

also think about the source of the fuel. if you look at the example of my propane torch, relative to what we view as “high” and “low,” the propane torch is wrong, but remember that the propane is under pressure inside the tank, so the fuel is being forced out, so relative to the source, the flame is correct.

anything else to add, people?

Corvin
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:46AM
Rich at 10:51AM, Oct. 25, 2006
(online)
WHAT YOU NEED:

-Photoshop or GIMP
-A tablet or l337 mouse skillz

WHAT YOU DO:

-Make a layer just for the fire.
-Make a small circular orangey shape where the base of your fire will be.
-Add some light orange in the middle of it to give it effect.
-Use the smudge tool to stretch it out. Vary your strokes to make it look more firey. A tablet is preferable because it lets you taper the edges off easier.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
Ferretshark at 10:54AM, Oct. 25, 2006
(offline)
Try this:

http://tutorialoutpost.com/count/5701

or this:

http://tutorialoutpost.com/count/3169

or this:

http://www.martinity.com/html/tutorials/fire/fire.htm

…basically, just look up “Fire tutorial” in Google and you'll get lots of hits. Hope that helps.

Ferretshark
Animator/published illustrator
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:28PM
ShadowsMyst at 12:39PM, Oct. 25, 2006
(online)
The best fire I ever did I painted by hand with a brush and a tablet.

Basically I got a picture of a real fire to sample colors from.

I started by laying down the darkest colors and worked my way up to the light using the blur and smudge tools to blend things. I started with a large soft brush and worked my way up to a small hard brush.

You basically want to stroke in the relative same direction as the fire is ‘blowing’. Thats pretty important. the snudging should also be kept in the same direction as the strokes.

My result was as such.

Maybe I should do a tutorial or something. :P I've been doing them all week for my photoshop class.

last edited on July 14, 2011 3:32PM
Ferretshark at 3:31PM, Oct. 25, 2006
(offline)
Actually, what you've captured in that image is what is known in our film world as “focus pull”, where the camera is focused on either a foreground or background element while the opposite is blurred out. In this case, you have the fire in the background looking blurry while the foreground details are more defined and crisp in resolution. It's not bad, but is it what you were trying to achieve?

Yes, do tutorials on this. It's all about the journey as well, right?

Ferretshark
German Alien at 8:28PM, Oct. 25, 2006
(offline)
Try this link Bert Monroy is a genius and was a recurring tech guest on the now defunct but dearly missed techie show “The Screen Savers” that used to air on the even more dearly missed ZDTV>TECHTV. Ok that's enough for my rant here is the link.

http://www.bertmonroy.com/tutorials/text/16_fire.htm

Bless,

Damascus
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:35PM
Ferretshark at 5:48AM, Oct. 26, 2006
(offline)
That's another good tutorial, Damascus! I bookmarked that myself!

Ferretshark
Kira Dwenna at 1:53PM, Oct. 26, 2006
(online)
Man. I wish I could use half of these tutorials, but I don't have photoshop, currently.

And my comic is in black and white, so that makes it a little bit more difficult. >.<

Corvin - I very much liked your description. I shall have to remember that for future reference.

Rich, Ferretshark, and German Alien- Thanks a lot for all of the links and tips, guys. Again, I really wish I had the ability to utilize photoshop, but I will be saving the suggestions for when that happy day occurs.

ShadowsMyst - Ya know, I've bookmarked a new favorite comic. *grin*

“Webcomics should be as fun to write, as they are to draw, as they are to read.”
-Kira
Ferretshark at 3:40PM, Oct. 26, 2006
(offline)
Kira Dwenna
Man. I wish I could use half of these tutorials, but I don't have photoshop, currently.

And my comic is in black and white, so that makes it a little bit more difficult. >.<

Corvin - I very much liked your description. I shall have to remember that for future reference.

Rich, Ferretshark, and German Alien- Thanks a lot for all of the links and tips, guys. Again, I really wish I had the ability to utilize photoshop, but I will be saving the suggestions for when that happy day occurs.

You're very welcome, Kira. Yeah, once you overcome some of your software issues (as in getting Photoshop), you'll come to appreciate it as a great tool as an artist. If your comic is in b & w (as you've stated) then don't worry about the long-range stuff you want to know. Make that a personal goal of yours.

Until you're ready and have all your equipment in place and are prepared to venture into colorization, just keep working on what you can do to make your b & w comic the best damn comic it can be!
Ferretshark
ShadowsMyst at 11:27AM, Oct. 27, 2006
(online)
Kira Dwenna
\

SQUEEE!! another reader! Darshe will be happy. ^^

I've got another comic called Shifters that I do, that was in black and white and I did fire in there too. It was actually a lot easier to fudge it in B/W than in color. :P

The only sample page I have ATM, is this one, but it was done like 2 years ago, i'm sure I could do better now, but at least its an example.

But it was done in photoshop, and yeah, you'll probably want to aquire that or something like it as soon as possible. Having the right tools for the job makes things a lot easier.

Eunice P at 6:34AM, Oct. 28, 2006
(offline)
Kira Dwenna

I'm more of a black and white artist than a color artist. So, I usually try to achieve all my effects in black and white. I think I've drawn a lot of explosions and fire in my comic. But I'll just give you a sample of my page on drawing fire here in manga style.

Referring to bottom left panel of my page: http://www.drunkduck.com/I_Come_From_Mars/index.php?p=20627
I achieve my fire effects by sketching and shading with vertical straight linings followed by some smokes and spikes

Referring to the bottom left panel of my page:
http://www.drunkduck.com/I_Come_From_Mars/index.php?p=20626
the sketchy background creates the smokey effect and the spikes create the burning effect. The shading on the objects create the highlighting effect.

A bit complicated but it's pretty much common manga techniques in drawing fire effects.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:23PM
Kira Dwenna at 9:40AM, Oct. 31, 2006
(online)
What version of photoshop do all of you use, if I may ask?

Eunice P. - I forgot about those techniques. Looks like I need to pull out my manga again. ^-^

Ferretshark - I bold people's names so it is easy for them to find my response, as I tend to avoid long quotes, and because I respond to many conversations at once in the same post. :P
And yes, indeed! I shall be working hard to get as good as I can! *cheers*

Shadowsmyst - Hmmm…I cannot seem to load the page right now. I'll try again later.
What egotistical maniac would NOT be happy at having a new adoring fan? *blinkblink*

-Kira
Knuckles at 11:47AM, Oct. 31, 2006
(offline)
I use version 7

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
ShadowsMyst at 10:50AM, Nov. 2, 2006
(online)
Kira Dwenna
Shadowsmyst - Hmmm…I cannot seem to load the page right now. I'll try again later.
What egotistical maniac would NOT be happy at having a new adoring fan? *blinkblink*

Er, yeah.. the server's hardware died. Waiting on a fix. Here's the page from the mirror.Linky!

Kira Dwenna at 3:07PM, Nov. 9, 2006
(online)
*self* Kira, check the thread.

*Muse* Kira, check the thread!

*me* ACK! >.<

I like the way that fire is drawn. It's more the smoke than anything else that makes it fire, isn't it?

Thank you very much for letting me look at it! *gleem*

-Kira

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved