Media Megaforum

Firefly and Serenity
Frostflowers at 1:15PM, Dec. 27, 2007
(online)
Firefly and Serenity makes me all happy and glowy and warm on the inside. I haven't seen the entire series yet, but I'll get my hands on it somehow. It's pure SciFi/Western fun, with some wonderfulness added in on top.

I was a Buffy fan, too, up till about the middle of the fourth episode - Firefly is like Buffy before it sort of (in my opinion) jumped the shark. Also, less vampires, which is a plus; vampires attract cliches like honey does flies.

… Jayne is my favourite character, just for being, you know, Jayne. Does that make me an odd sort of girl? >.>
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:31PM
Ziffy88 at 2:13PM, Dec. 27, 2007
(offline)
Say Jayne is all that is manly and awesome
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:01PM
LIZARD_B1TE at 6:10PM, Dec. 27, 2007
(online)
Frostflowers
Buffy before it sort of (in my opinion) jumped the shark

If by that, you are referring to the sudden explosion of needless and slightly annoying fanservice every three minutes, then I completely agree with you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:37PM
ozoneocean at 8:56PM, Dec. 27, 2007
(online)
Frostflowers
vampires attract cliches like honey does flies.
But-but-but-but, that's all a vampire is. :)
One of the points of the Buffy things was to reinvent the cliche and make it relevant, that's why it was so successful.

I thought it was way too teen, emo and hip personally… The original film did the tongue in cheek thing a lot better, and the camp was a lot more free too. The series replaced the knowing sauciness with the naive seriousness of the immature T_T

At least to start off with…

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:29PM
Frostflowers at 3:32AM, Dec. 28, 2007
(online)
LIZARD_B1TE
Frostflowers
Buffy before it sort of (in my opinion) jumped the shark

If by that, you are referring to the sudden explosion of needless and slightly annoying fanservice every three minutes, then I completely agree with you.
Yes. That. I mean, I liked Buffy during the first three seasons because it was a lot of campy fun and funny oneliners and they were sort of poking fun at the genre cliches in a way that entertained - I could ignore the Deep!Angsty!Ohhtheirloveissotragic!Buffy/Angel romance because I could laugh along with the other characters.

ozoneocean
But-but-but-but, that's all a vampire is.
One of the points of the Buffy things was to reinvent the cliche and make it relevant, that's why it was so successful.
Yeah, I know, I know - but I don't mean the purely vampire-orientated cliches. The cliches that bothered me were the ones that came along with the vampires - it's one thing to have a vamp with the whole angst of I-don't-want-to-drink-blood-but-I-have-to-to-survive - it's quite another kettle of fish to have THAT vampire, plus “tragic”, angsty teen romance, plus all those other things all bundled up in one plot-point.

I thought it was way too teen, emo and hip personally… The original film did the tongue in cheek thing a lot better, and the camp was a lot more free too. The series replaced the knowing sauciness with the naive seriousness of the immature T_T

At least to start off with…
First three seasons were still campy fun, tongue-in-cheek-ish (anyone care to recall the conversation about animal crackers, wherein Oz explains that the monkey is French, etc., etc.?), but then they got to taking themselves too seriously. It could no longer be just Buffy vs. Vampires, or even Buffy vs. Vampires and Demons - there was talk of the end of the world, and saviours and more Slayers and who knows what else.

…. And besides, I just sort of wanted to kick Riley where it hurts.

But enough Buffy! This thread is about the brilliance of Firefly and Serenity! :)

I think it was interesting how they used a lot of mangled Chinese/Chinese slang in the script - it makes sense that Chinese would be a dominant language in space, seeing as how China has a very large population, and if mankind go into space, it make sense that a large number of the space-travellers would have Chinese ancestry. (I'm only disappointed because there's, as far as I know, no Indian slang. India has at least as large a population as China.)

… /babble.
The Continued Misadventures of Bonebird - a poor bird's quest for the ever-elusive and delicious apples.
Ziffy88 at 10:08AM, Dec. 28, 2007
(offline)
What about Spanish we have a almost two continent were a large group can speak it.

Also it's not the whole Chinese/English but it deals with the story and the characters. These were great characters that alot of people can relate to
Frostflowers at 11:22AM, Dec. 28, 2007
(online)
Ziffy88
What about Spanish we have a almost two continent were a large group can speak it.
Granted, there are many Spanish speakers in the world (though I think the number of mandarin-Chinese-speakers is larger) - and they're spread out over several continents. However, the South American continent is split between both Spanish-speakers and those who speak Portugese.

… /language-babble.

Also it's not the whole Chinese/English but it deals with the story and the characters. These were great characters that alot of people can relate to
Agreed. :) None of them are superpowered, and none of them are a perfect picture of moral goodness, which makes them easier to relate to.
Ziffy88 at 11:48AM, Dec. 28, 2007
(offline)
But the mixture of characters gave the show a unique look I just realized that
donkas at 4:22AM, Dec. 30, 2007
(online)
hopeing and praying for the “hinted at” second movie
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:13PM
valesse at 9:34PM, Dec. 31, 2007
(online)
From the television series to movies and soon to be a MMORPG… theres also a (sadly) limited comic book series called Serenity: Those left behind. When I saw it I nearly died… my also-obsessed friend had been having Firefly marathons with me for the last few days and and and… yeah. They're lovely and each of the three books is like watching a hour long episode.

…Also there's a Firefly class ship in the newer BSG mini series movie… Flying over Rosalin's doctor's office on Caprica when she's told about her condition. Yay CG guys!
Yeaaaah, I'm a nerd. I notice these things.

About Wash's “Leaf-in-the-wind” in Serenity: I've heard it somewhere (I'm not sure if it's true, mind) but Wash's er.. abruptly ended mantra written in on the actor's request because of his irritation with the fact that such a wonderful series wouldn't be going further due to contract issues (*motions toward Fox*). I wonder if anyone knows if thats just a rumor or not?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:39PM
ocelott at 9:09PM, Jan. 6, 2008
(online)
valesse
About Wash's “Leaf-in-the-wind” in Serenity: I've heard it somewhere (I'm not sure if it's true, mind) but Wash's er.. abruptly ended mantra written in on the actor's request because of his irritation with the fact that such a wonderful series wouldn't be going further due to contract issues (*motions toward Fox*). I wonder if anyone knows if thats just a rumor or not?

I don't know, I hadn't heard that one. It wouldn't surprise me, though. I know Alan Tudyk (Wash) referred to the show's wrap party as a “Hurray, we don't work for Fox anymore!” party.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:20PM
Ziffy88 at 10:16PM, Jan. 6, 2008
(offline)
has anyone seen 3:10 to Yuma?

Guess who play a doctor and does something heroic before his demise…here's a hint he's a leaf on the wind

I wonder if that means soon he'll be typecasted to lovable guy that dies after his moment
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
Fenn at 12:53AM, Jan. 7, 2008
(offline)
Ziffy88
I wonder if that means soon he'll be typecasted to lovable guy that dies after his moment
Could be, he's pretty good at it. There's worse things to be typecast as… at least he'd get a lot of work.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:26PM
lastcall at 3:30AM, Jan. 7, 2008
(offline)
Fox always cancels the best shows. They did that with Wonderfalls, too. I distinctly remember watching Firefly for the first time, realizing how incredibly great it was, seeing that it was on Fox, and saying “Well, I give that show about two months.”

Fox only cares about ratings and money; god forbid a show actually is “creative”.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:27PM
Ziffy88 at 8:25AM, Jan. 7, 2008
(offline)
I heartily agree with lastcall!

One show I enjoyed was Keen Eddy it wasn't anything special but it was fun and they just canceled it then raped it's soundtrack when it was released on DVD
last edited on July 14, 2011 5:02PM
albone at 10:11AM, Jan. 7, 2008
(online)
lastcall
Fox always cancels the best shows. They did that with Wonderfalls, too. I distinctly remember watching Firefly for the first time, realizing how incredibly great it was, seeing that it was on Fox, and saying “Well, I give that show about two months.”

Fox only cares about ratings and money; god forbid a show actually is “creative”.

Fox is in the business of making money, not being creative. But hell if I didn't say the same thing that Fox cancels the best shows. They canceled Arrested Development, Drive and Firefly. Stupid Fox. I love Heroes and Lost, but would trade them both to get Firefly back. *cries*
You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved