Comic Talk and General Discussion *

First it was SARS... then BIRD FLU... now it's SWINE FLU!!!
i was born a unicorn at 12:43PM, April 27, 2009
(offline)
is this really happening?
i was on gaia this morning and
there was a thread about this also :|
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:55PM
Niccea at 12:46PM, April 27, 2009
(offline)
i was born a unicorn
is this really happening?
i was on gaia this morning and
there was a thread about this also :|
Though Gaia isn't the most intelligent rabble on the internet…they do know how to keep up with events.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:13PM
Peipei at 3:24PM, April 27, 2009
(offline)
Gosh x.x. This swine flu thing is making me nervous these days xD. Not sure whether I should be taking it seriously or not, since there were some cases in my state :x.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:41PM
Ozoneocean at 5:43PM, April 27, 2009
(online)
Walrus
No one has died in the US yet. The only reason people died from this disease is because Mexico doesn't have the technology to save these people.
Yeah, those mud huts they live in are pretty primitive aren't they? :)

—————————–
Back to reality.
Yes, it is indeed a serious problem, BUT if the medical personnel and scientists, and the right public authorities can get on top of this fast enough; it won't be. ;)
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:34PM
lefarce at 6:46PM, April 27, 2009
(online)
The main concern is that there is a lack of vaccine to properly combat the virus, thus it's spread to millions of unwashed people seems “likely” to some.

But honestly 1,000,000 poor people dead is no big deal. Hopefully it knocks out some of those quacks that think Zach Effron eating sushi is a big enough deal to flood news outlets. I for one and rooting for the virus, and cosmic justice, to get the job done.

last edited on July 14, 2011 1:33PM
Product Placement at 12:08AM, April 28, 2009
(online)
Hmm… They now say that the flu has killed around 150 in Mexico so far. It was detected in Britain today and Yakov Litzman, the Deputy Minister of Health in Israel wants to name it the Mexican flu. They're predicting up to 3% mortality rate among all those who get infected.

I'm kinda of curious to see how I'd fare against this disease. Influenza don't seem to bite me. Whenever a case of the flue hits the area I live in, I end up being fine while everyone around me has to stay home for a week.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
Ozoneocean at 3:05AM, April 28, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
I'm kinda of curious to see how I'd fare against this disease. Influenza don't seem to bite me. Whenever a case of the flue hits the area I live in, I end up being fine while everyone around me has to stay home for a week.
Well seeing as the very reason viruses of this nature cause such a panic is that healthy, fit, young, strong, people, -ie, the people who wouldn't normally have a problem- get it and die, I'd say you'd most likely be out of luck ;)

I'm not saying you'd die, especially not with good medical care, but I doubt you'd fare well.
Product Placement at 7:55AM, April 28, 2009
(online)
I've heard that as well. That's why I'm curious. And that's also what's so perplexing about it. The Spanish flue was just the same. Why young and healthy? It defies logic in my opinion. They should be the ones with the most resistance against stuff like that.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
lefarce at 12:57AM, April 29, 2009
(online)
I think it's funny that Mexicans have finally gotten so fucking filthy that they're basically kicking off the end of the world.

THANKS A BUNCH MEXICO!

EDIT: no i really mean it, Mexico is worthless. They're a third world country and i'm sure the bean and rice market is reeeeally gonna suffer if they're wiped off the map whooboy

Niccea at 7:10AM, April 29, 2009
(offline)
One death in the US now…a toddler. But, young children's immune systems are not strong yet anyways. I would be more worried if healthy adults started dieing.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:13PM
Hakoshen at 8:24AM, April 29, 2009
(offline)
Niccea
One death in the US now…a toddler. But, young children's immune systems are not strong yet anyways. I would be more worried if healthy adults started dieing.

Yes, we had a morning safety briefing in regards to that, especially given we're in child protection; we don't want to be carriers of the disease killing off all the kids in the state.

It's shaping up to be a problem, yes, but people aren't dropping dead from it left and right like they would have back in the old days. I mean, yellow fever used to be a seasonal pandemic and it took years to handle that problem, and yeah a lot of people died but in the end it was wiped out.
God needed the Devil, the Beatles needed the Rolling Stones, Hakoshen needs me.
I'm the enemy he requires to define him.
Soon or later, he'll bring me back to life again for another epic encounter of shouting about power levels and grimacing.
-Harkovast
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:41PM
Product Placement at 9:02AM, April 29, 2009
(online)
Hmh. Turns out that this child that died was a Mexican visiting relatives in Bronsville, Texas. Apart from that there are still no confirmed cases of fatalities related to the flu outside of Mexico. I'm starting to feel like this illness has some sort of grudge against Mexicans.

I wouldn't be spelling out the doom of Mexico quite yet lefarce. Even if there's a total failure of keeping the illness in check, the death toll of the population will never exceed 2-3%. It's a bad flu to get but not that fatal. Still.. this could mean millions of dead if we face a global pandemic.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Puff_Of_Smoke at 6:28PM, April 29, 2009
(offline)
Y'know what's next? SARS Flu.
I
I have a gun. It's really powerful. Especially against living things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:56PM
Bekefel at 6:29PM, April 29, 2009
(offline)
These confirmed cases in the UK seem to be edging ever closer to where I live.
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
lefarce at 6:44PM, April 29, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
Hmh. Turns out that this child that died was a Mexican visiting relatives in Bronsville, Texas. Apart from that there are still no confirmed cases of fatalities related to the flu outside of Mexico. I'm starting to feel like this illness has some sort of grudge against Mexicans.

I wouldn't be spelling out the doom of Mexico quite yet lefarce. Even if there's a total failure of keeping the illness in check, the death toll of the population will never exceed 2-3%. It's a bad flu to get but not that fatal. Still.. this could mean millions of dead if we face a global pandemic.
\
I'm not being serious about their doom. The thing you need to understand about me is I am only serious maybe 10% of the time.

I DO, however, think that this flu is utter BS being exploited by the media, and I'll admit I'm a bit bias and think that Mexico is filthy as hell. Still though, 2,000 cases out of how many residents? It's still got a low infection rate, the only thing to be concerned over is a lack of medication.

Bekefel at 6:49PM, April 29, 2009
(offline)
The UK has upped it's stock to over 50 million of the anti-flu drug.

Hopefully its just a precaution, not preparation.
Please, please, you give me too little credit.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:20AM
Product Placement at 6:56PM, April 29, 2009
(online)
I agree that this sounds awfully hyped up by the media but I do know that we're due for another pandemic. Diseases change over time as they jump species and mutate. On average, we get 3-4 mayor outbreaks of really bad flues, every century. If this happens to be one of them, I say it's better to be safe then sorry. I'm not at all nervous or panicky since I have full confidence that modern medicine will keep us from the worst of the brunt. If The Black Death would surfaced in today's world, I'd expect to see a MUCH lower casualty rate then a third of the world.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
Kristen Gudsnuk at 9:59PM, April 29, 2009
(offline)
lefarce
Zach Effron

Zac Efron

PS: “not being serious” isn't an excuse for being a douchebag.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:22PM
PIT_FACE at 9:47AM, April 30, 2009
(online)
Kristen Gudsnuk
lefarce
Zach Effron

Zac Efron

ahh, that's just Lefarce, douching is his business.hell, we all gotta be good at SOMETHIN. heh heh heh.

back on topic. well, there's a suspected case of swine flu in the county i live in, McHenry county. they havent released what state the person's in, so i suspect people here are gonna be freaked a little bit. it's times like this im glad i'm a recluse.

though, i wonder if catching it and getting better gives you immunity from it. i mean the majority of people getting this get better right? maby this thing just needs to pass through. i'm not a doctor and im not sure about what i'm saying, but it could very well make sense i think.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:44PM
lefarce at 12:22PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
Kristen Gudsnuk
lefarce
Zach Effron

Zac Efron

I am happy I dont know how to spell that guys name. Mostly because I avoid celebrity news like you would avoid Swine Flu (BADUMTISH)

Saying Mexcio is doomed in jest doesnt seem too d-baggy to me, but hey whatever. Frankly though it IS a dump, and I'm not trying to be funny about that. I dont care if that makes me a horrible person, a dump is a dump is a dump.

Back on point though: Logically the virus has a high chance of spreading, as does any flu. Keeping stocked on medication is the best way to combat it, and more power to the health angencies who are being extra careful. That's not the bad kind of freaking out.

The bad kind could be printing articles on how this will utterly ruin our economy, or how our children are not safe, and oh no it's literally the end of the world. It could be that the local scare tactics in Utah are far worse than everywhere else I've been, but it's getting pretty insane. Is it like this anywhere else, guys?

News will come on and the guy will say “SWINE FLU MAY HAVE HIT ____, HOW YOUR FAMILY IS IN DANGER - TONIGHT AT 10!”

Product Placement at 2:32PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
lefarce
The bad kind could be printing articles on how this will utterly ruin our economy, or how our children are not safe, and oh no it's literally the end of the world. It could be that the local scare tactics in Utah are far worse than everywhere else I've been, but it's getting pretty insane. Is it like this anywhere else, guys?

News will come on and the guy will say “SWINE FLU MAY HAVE HIT ____, HOW YOUR FAMILY IS IN DANGER - TONIGHT AT 10!”
Ok…. that's… a bit excessive.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
lefarce at 2:37PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
Product Placement
lefarce

Ok…. that's… a bit excessive.

That is more or less what he said. I believe it was “Swine Flu in Utah, how your family is in danger, tonight at ten!”

About three days later I see a broadcast from Nevada where they said the Swine Flu will all but cripple our economy due to it lowering tourism, cause as we all know that is the one thing our country depends on.

I tell ya' if we dont get those Asains visiting our country we're doomed! Doomed I say!

Product Placement at 3:02PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
My news medium has mentioned that 2-3 weeks where high number of the workforce is deadly ill will have a negative impact on the already weakened economy but they never go as far as to scream “we're doomed” Honestly I thought that the US news had grown out of stupid crap like that. Trying to scare people into watching your news is a dumb way to gain followers in my opinion.
Those were my two cents.
This space for rent.
lefarce at 3:24PM, April 30, 2009
(online)
Well I will admit that the news in Utah is much more into scaring the shit out of people than anywhere else I've been. I think it's all this sun here that just makes people in the Nevada, Utah, Arizona region borderline retarded. Same theory for Florida.

Just a hunch but I think the theory holds ground.

cartoonprofessor at 7:58PM, April 30, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement
I've heard that as well. That's why I'm curious. And that's also what's so perplexing about it. The Spanish flue was just the same. Why young and healthy? It defies logic in my opinion. They should be the ones with the most resistance against stuff like that.
There are three theories as to why the Spanish flu killed off the young and healthy… can't remember the other two, but one of them was that a healthy person's immune system kicks in so hard that their immune system is actually what kills them!

As far as I can tell from various reports so far, the ‘kill-rate’ of this virus is actually closer to 4%. The spanish flu of ‘19 was only 2%.

I hope this is just bigpharma trying to sell their way out of the recession and so hyping up the media, and not ’the-powers-that-be' attempting to thin down the population a bit.

I read on another forum a post by someone claiming to be mexican… he was saying that it is actually a lot worse than the various govts are making out. He reports hospitals overflowing, doctors and nurses refusing to work from fear, anti-virals not working and huge masses of people with the flu being turned away. He claims a majority of the population is sick and the death rate is actually much higher than claimed.

Stephen King's ‘The Stand’ anybody???

Are there any mexicans on this forum who could enlighten us?
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:36AM
bravo1102 at 7:58AM, May 1, 2009
(offline)
Hakoshen
West Nile anyone?

That's local for me. They went crazy with the pesticide spraying using stuff that you can't be outside when air-sprayed and massive fines for any standing water. I had to be very diligent with my pool cover. That seems to have gotten the incidence down significantly.
The same thing works on malaria and any other insect borne disease. Mosquito netting? Nope, DDT and draining wet lands.

As for H1N1, this too shall pass. It's not deadly enough and medicine has advanced a lot. Remember influenza helped wipe out the American Indians. Genetically American Indian stock is more susceptable to influenza. Mexicans have that ancestry. Oops, non-PC, indicating that a certain group is more susceptable to a disease because of their ancestry…

In 1918 you had a lot of people seriously mal-nourished and bodies under extreme stress due to the First World War. That had some small effect. Disease and war go together. It was not really until WWII that connection was overcome and then you had ethnic genocide.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:33AM
ccs1989 at 11:14AM, May 1, 2009
(online)
I'm getting a cough. I wonder if I'll die?
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:39AM
Ozoneocean at 11:23AM, May 1, 2009
(online)
ccs1989
I'm getting a cough. I wonder if I'll die?
Yes.

Yes, you will ;)
LIZARD_B1TE at 3:26PM, May 1, 2009
(online)
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:38PM
Splash Damage at 11:13AM, May 2, 2009
(online)
To be honest, no one should even be worried about it, at least in the states. The only death in the states has been like, a baby or some little kid who's immune system isn't fully developed yet. Most people won't die from it unless they're really young or really old. One reason why it's become a big joke to everyone in the high schools, including me.

Swine Flu is the new hello, so say swine flu instead of hello.
drunkduck.com/splash_damage
Updating Again.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:54PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved Mastodon