Comic Talk, Tips and Tricks

Flashback (is it too early to put them in)
TwilightPrincess90 at 3:06PM, Oct. 21, 2006
(offline)
So basically, my problem is that I always feel it's too early to put anything dramatic in my comic. I have currently finished the basic layout (and by layout I mean a written pages of the plot happening in each book) for the first two books. There are roughly 5 chapters for each book and this bring me to my actual Plea For Help.
I'm wondering, is it too early to put flashbacks in the second book, detailing the beginning of my character's life in Hell? I believe they're are only two and they last a good number of pages. I would be appreciative of any help seeing how I'm braindead when it comes to laying out those dramatic tidbits of plot.
thankyou,
Twilight
Really cool prisma colours- $50
Really cool inking pens- $3
Really cool leather
bound sketchbook- $ 10
Drawing many yaoi filled pages!
PRICELESS!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
Rich at 12:41AM, Oct. 22, 2006
(online)
Put them in. It ain't ever too early to pull some nonlinear storytelling on your readers unsuspecting asses.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
Rimbaum at 11:06AM, Oct. 22, 2006
(offline)
Bah. I'm starting out each of my chapters with a quick, one or two page flashback. Don't be afraid of putting something like that in “too early” unless you don't have a way of making it fit reasonably within the storyline.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:08PM
Knuckles at 6:51PM, Oct. 22, 2006
(offline)
The great thing about Flashbacks is that they can be inserted anywhere at anytime. It adds depth to the story. Just don't overdo it, of course.

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM
Aeon at 9:47AM, Oct. 23, 2006
(online)
I agree. Flashbacks are a great story telling device, and much more interesting than just having characters explain their backstory.

I have a theatre background, and in theatre we often talk about convention. We use it in the sense of consistency. That is, if you're designing lights for a play, and everything in the first act is very realistic, and suddenly, halfway through the second act there's some crazy laser light show action, you're breaking convention. There was nothing in the first act to prepare the audience for a crazy light show in the second act, so it will take them out of the play and make them think ‘where did that come from?’

It's similar in comics, I think. If you plan on using flashbacks as a story telling tool, it may help to start using them fairly early in the story line, so that you don't get to your first flashback in chapter five, and have a lot of readers thrown for a loop because you're using a device they didn't expect you to use.

Does that make sense?
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:46AM
kingofsnake at 12:06PM, Oct. 23, 2006
(online)
Have you developed your characters so their personality, individual traits, and flaws are understood by the reader? If so, flashbacks are good. But if the reader doesn't really have a feel for the characters yet it might do more harm than good.

For example I just rented lucky number slevin. The first time I saw it I enjoyed it quite a bit. The second time, however, it really seemed like Exposition: The Movie

Rule of thumb is you should flash back to something only shortly before it's about to affect the current plot.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:15PM
TwilightPrincess90 at 5:53PM, Oct. 24, 2006
(offline)
Thankyou for the tips:

KingofSnake- Seeing how the flashbacks will be set up in the second book (around the 5-7 chapters) I believe I will have set up my characters enough to understand their personalities so your comment gives me mucho happiness. The way I see it is there are two kinds of flashbacks, one that is mostly there to show how a person got into a situation usually while the other kind which shows off how the character got into their certain mindset, being more emotionally based. Then again I could be wrong, please correct me if I'm wrong. Well anyway, These flashbacks are there more to explain how my character got into hell so it wouldn't exactly affect the current plot so much as further introduce the character on a deeper level.

Aeon- I understand exactly what you mean, I'm currently getting into Talented Theater but your comment worries me. You're totally right about preparing the audience for things and looking at my comic it seems that these flashbacks seem to pop up, although I don't think it will be nearly as crazy as a wacked out light show. ^^

Knuckles- Exactly, overdoing it is bad. I alway fear I overdo things. My plot depth perception, yeah I think I'll call it that, sucks

Rimbaum- I believe it fits reasonably, you're totally correct, thankyou for the help. ^^

Rich- Lol, I like the way you think.

Thankyou all again ^^. Really helpful.

Really cool prisma colours- $50
Really cool inking pens- $3
Really cool leather
bound sketchbook- $ 10
Drawing many yaoi filled pages!
PRICELESS!
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
Knuckles at 6:38PM, Oct. 24, 2006
(offline)
TwilightPrincess90
Knuckles- Exactly, overdoing it is bad. I alway fear I overdo things. My plot depth perception, yeah I think I'll call it that, sucks

Basically just do enough to get your point across.

Myth Xaran (manga) - http://www.drunkduck.com/Myth_Xaran
Exodus Studios (Games & More) - http://www.exodus-studio.com
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:19PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved