Media Megaforum

Flushed Away is AMAZING.
Eggbert at 11:32PM, Nov. 4, 2006
(offline)
I had no idea it would be this good.

There's so much STUFF. The attention to detail is mindboggling. Every single object in the underground city is made of some real world object. The buoys on the side of the boat are tennis balls.

The animation! Oh the animation, the stylized movement, the constant clever barrage of ideas. Every single thing moves in a uniqe way, showing off styles of animation that have never been seen in 3D before. There's a scene where the family is having dinner, and the entire house is rocking back and forth, so the mice have to eat food as the bowl slides back and forth in front of them. There are these French Frogs that can walk on EVERYTHING.

And it is FUNNY. Genuine clever jokes! Hilarious sight gags! I haven't seen slapstick of this quality since Looney Toons. And oh god, the running joke with the slugs that sing famous songs in really high pitched slug voices. So good.

I mean, if I had to gripe about something, it would be that Sid, the mouse who flushes the main character, is utterly inconseqential to the story. But that barely matters because everything else is SO GOOD.

Seriously. This movie has restored my faith in animation. This makes Over the Hedge, which was pretty good, look like utter TRASH. And it of course blows away drek like Open Season and Barnyard.

Go see this movie noooooow. Best thing Dreamworks/Aardman have ever done!
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:19PM
Terminal at 6:57AM, Nov. 5, 2006
(online)
Hmm, I would have thought this movie would be crap.

Maybe I'll go see it.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:10PM
Ian Jay at 8:10AM, Nov. 5, 2006
(offline)
Yeah, I could have sworn this movie would suck, too, seeing as it removed the one gimmick Aardman Studios is known for (the whole “clay-mation” thing). Still… now I might reconsider. Maybe. If it comes on TV sometime in the future.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:56PM
skoolmunkee at 8:12AM, Nov. 5, 2006
(online)
Enlighten us UK dwellers, what is this Flushed Away? Sounds like a Pixar thing or something?
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:39PM
ccs1989 at 10:27AM, Nov. 5, 2006
(online)
I might rent it when my Cable Service Provider gets it. I dunno about going to see it in theaters though. I have way to many more movies I want to see (Running With Scissors, Borat, etc.)
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
SpANG at 10:45AM, Nov. 5, 2006
(online)
skoolmunkee
Enlighten us UK dwellers, what is this Flushed Away? Sounds like a Pixar thing or something?
It's a new CGI film by dreamworks, but I think it's the same production company that does Wallace and Grommit.
“To a rational mind, nothing is inexplicable. Only unexplained.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:52PM
strong414bad at 11:03AM, Nov. 5, 2006
(online)
SpANG
It's a new CGI film by dreamworks, but I think it's the same production company that does Wallace and Grommit.
Yeah, it is the same production company. They did CGI instead of claymation because there is a lot of water in the story, which is hard to do with clay.
Why hello there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:59PM
ccs1989 at 12:18PM, Nov. 5, 2006
(online)
Yeah, I hear if you want to do stop motion with water with claymation you have to film the water and then superimpose the clay on it and many times it looks really fake and with all the camera angles they would have to do it would take forever.

Personally I don't really care about if it's 3D or Clay. If it was something like changing 2D into 3D that would matter to me, since I like 2D animation a lot, but 3D seems to sell better.
http://ccs1989.deviantart.com

“If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:38AM
Eggbert at 2:56PM, Nov. 5, 2006
(offline)
I think Corpse Bride kind of proved that stop motion animation is somewhat useless now, with all that 3D animation can do.

Additionally, why have none of gone to this movie yet? Screw any preconceptions you may have! This is a fantastic work of animation!
isukun at 3:26PM, Nov. 5, 2006
(online)
They did CGI instead of claymation because there is a lot of water in the story, which is hard to do with clay.

Actually, just about everything Aardman has made in the last couple of years has been all CG (except Wallace and Gromit). The studio is pretty much abandoning claymation for 3D films. there have been a few shorts they've made in the last year which were all CG. They didn't use water effects or really anything complex.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:03PM
Tundra at 7:58PM, Nov. 6, 2006
(offline)
so, basic synopsis?
http://www.notebookinhand.com Forum for artists, writers, and other creative types.
http://www.drunkduck.com/Notebook
http://www.notnegativenews.com Get positive news here! Improve your day. Share your links.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM
Rich at 8:01PM, Nov. 6, 2006
(online)
Tundra
so, basic synopsis?

I think its about a mouse getting flushed down the shitter or something like that.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:06PM
Eggbert at 8:14PM, Nov. 6, 2006
(offline)
It's about a Mouse who lives a cushy yet lonely life as a little girls's pet and then gets flushed down the toilet and discovers an amazing community of moce lifing in a city made entirely of junk. He tires to get back home but gets caught up in a mafia plot involving a diamond and the World Cup finale and an insane Toad. The mosue slowly realizes that his life above was pointless without friends and blah blah blah.

But screw the story! The point is that's it's hilarious and clever and SO WELL ANIMATED.

Seriously, best animated movie since The Incredibles.

Pixar quality people! See the damn thing!
hpkomic at 10:37PM, Nov. 6, 2006
(online)
This movie was okay.

The characters in the Aardman style do not feel right in CG, at all. Most of the humour was banal and Shrek-esque, the slugs were used to the point of annoyance.

The voice acting was okay, still suffering from the “let's cast a celeb”-syndrome, though Jackman wasn't terrible. The villain was terrible though, the henchmice were cliche'd and did I mention the slugs? My god, I haven't seen a joke that overused since the pie to the face gag.

The story was passable, and for the most part, the animation was pretty stable.

Sadly, this is one of the better CG films to come down the pipeline, but I expected SO much more from Aardman.

Since Dreamworks had more creative imput on this film, I would place the blame on them. The last two Aardman films distributed through Dreamworks were just that, DISTRIBUTED by Dreamworks, not co-developed. They should keep their relationship like that.

Why was Wallace and Gromit so good?

They were working on it for years, they had YEARS to pound out visuals, gags and hammer out plot holes and writing, but with CG, and the process virtually halved, if not more, the same level of quality and attention wasn't included. Here's hoping Aardman goes back to their old method soon.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:50PM
Tundra at 11:54PM, Nov. 6, 2006
(offline)
Who flushes mice??
http://www.notebookinhand.com Forum for artists, writers, and other creative types.
http://www.drunkduck.com/Notebook
http://www.notnegativenews.com Get positive news here! Improve your day. Share your links.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:35PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved