Drunk Duck Awards

For the 2010 Awards... should be limit the number of times a given comic can be voted for by one voter?
Aghammer at 12:36PM, Aug. 7, 2009
(offline)
Here is an evil thought that came into my head yesterday… what if I hit up all my friends and relatives on facebook (or myspace, etc), or people that I communicate with on other web sites (deviantart, etc) or all the people in my classes at school… (you get the idea) and I said…

Please do me a BIG favor and go to this site (dd link) and sign up and click this link (awards voting link) and put my comic in every category and submit.

I think it would be relatively easy to get 40-50 or more votes from people for every category (plus the 2 or 3 people that actually read my stuff :))

Kind of an “award bum rush” (not that my relatives and friends are bums… mostly)

I say all that, to ask this…

Should there be a limit to the number of times a voter can vote for a single comic (a limit to the number of categories that comic is placed in)? Given the number of categories (and I have no idea the number for next year) maybe it should be 5 or 8 or whatever.

I see it working like this:

1) The rule is made clear to the voters. (you can list a given comic in only X categories).
2) If the voter adds the comic to higher than X categories, starting from the top of the list, only X categories are used for that comic (the rest are discarded).

Maybe this is too cumbersome or not worthwhile but I thought I'd thrown it out for discussion :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 10:47AM
DAJB at 1:58PM, Aug. 7, 2009
(online)
Obviously people can try to drum up support from readers (I know I do!) and some may, as you suggest, try to get people to register purely for the purpose of voting. I'm not sure how successful that would be (most people hate having to register for things!) and even less sure how you could stop it.

In any event, whilst a flood of votes would possibly get you among the finalists for a category, the final decision is made by a panel of judges, so - if the actual comic wasn't really that good - it still wouldn't win.

If there is a problem here (and, as I say, I'm not convinced there is) I don't believe that restricting the number of categories a comic can be nominated in would solve it. To my mind, if a comic meets the criteria for a category, then readers should be able to vote for it in that category, irrespective of whether it is also nominated in others. Otherwise you could have a situation where the best comics in, say, the Adventure category are all excluded because they are also in, for example, the SciFi category. That would mean the Best Adventure Comic Award would have to be given to a comic which is perhaps only the the third or fourth best.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:03PM
usedbooks at 2:07PM, Aug. 7, 2009
(online)
When people try to flood the votes, I don't think the ballots are counted. A number of ballots were discarded last year for “cheating” like this.

Plus, by choosing winners with judging panels, it counteracts the popularity effect.

People do come up with ways to try to cheat a system, but keep in mind that the system is not automated. Human hands are involved, and that is more effective than trying to come up with all kinds of restrictions on things.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:38PM
Exzachly at 2:20PM, Aug. 7, 2009
(online)
The best way to solve this problem, if it is a problem this go, is to give the panelist power to get rid of comics that clearly don't fit their category and replace them with ones that do.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
Aghammer at 2:33PM, Aug. 7, 2009
(offline)
Actually, I think that's a great solution… maybe if a comic is clearly not in a category, it should be removed and the next comic in line is given to the panel to decide?

Usedbooks, I didn't know that… sounds like the situation is well in hand and excellent point. I'm not a big fan of a lot of rules and agree that the people in charge can deal with it (I certainly trust Amanda, JNP, etc.)

BAJB, I thought about that too… some comics can honestly fit into many categories and I'd hate to punish good comics :)

What do you think of Exzachly's idea?

Exzachly
The best way to solve this problem, if it is a problem this go, is to give the panelist power to get rid of comics that clearly don't fit their category and replace them with ones that do.
JustNoPoint at 3:04PM, Aug. 7, 2009
(online)
Me and Amanda went through them a bit. Did we miss comics? We removed a few comics that didn't qualify for various reasons. Cru The Dwarf in sprite comics comes to mind. Some comics that had not updating for a long long time, etc.

In tie breakers me and Amanda just used judgment calls. Except in the 2 categories we made the polls for. Too many options there.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:12PM
Aghammer at 8:09PM, Aug. 7, 2009
(offline)
Nope, not at all…actually, this seems like a non-issue since you guys were on top of it. I was just thinking there might be a way to work around the system but, as usedbooks pointed out, the committee running the show was on top of looking for poll loading, etc. :) I like letting you guys do the work much better than having additional rules ;)

JustNoPoint
Me and Amanda went through them a bit. Did we miss comics? We removed a few comics that didn't qualify for various reasons. Cru The Dwarf in sprite comics comes to mind. Some comics that had not updating for a long long time, etc.

In tie breakers me and Amanda just used judgment calls. Except in the 2 categories we made the polls for. Too many options there.

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved