Media Megaforum

Forgiveness/politeness quirk in anime?
Chernobog at 1:35PM, July 5, 2009
(offline)
Why do the heroes/heroines in anime often shout “I'll never forgive you!” for some menial insult or indignation the villain doles out? Considering you've got a guy with a fish/octopus for a head shooting you with death rays or whatever, do you really imagine he cares if they're going to forgive him later? Any thoughts on this? I know Japan has some reputation for social politeness, but still… Also, do you think it's more prone to happen in certain genres more than others?

“Oh terribly sorry, Sailor Moon. I see now that was crossing the line. Please accept my humblest apologies while I drain your life force with these shadow pineapples. Because you're apparently okay with that part.”

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
isukun at 10:24PM, July 5, 2009
(online)
Mostly it's the translation that's to blame. In the Japanese, they're typically using the negative form of “yurusu” which can mean to forgive, allow, permit, etc. It's most often used to express that a character is not going to allow another character to get away with what they have done, but is most often translated as “I won't forgive you”. To not forgive something is considered more extreme in the West, so it's probably not the best way to translate the word in a lot of trasnlated anime.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
Chernobog at 5:02PM, July 6, 2009
(offline)
Interesting. Thank you for the insight, Isukun.

“You tell yourself to just
enjoy the process,” he added. “That whether you succeed or fail, win or
lose, it will be fine. You pretend to be Zen. You adopt detachment, and
ironic humor, while secretly praying for a miracle.”
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:41AM
Sea_Cow at 2:31PM, July 7, 2009
(offline)
What's with anime people in general? The way they act would be really pathetic in real life. I've met some people who act like their favorite anime characters and it's painful to watch.
I am so happy to finally be back home
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:26PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved