Media Megaforum

Fringe...yeah or neh?
TheMidge28 at 2:51PM, Sept. 12, 2008
(online)
So I heard bits of this new show releasing this fall from the JJ Abrams of Lost fame. Being huge Lost fan I looked up more on it. The story sounded interesting enough…

In the new sci-fi FOX drama, Fringe, a research scientist named Peter Bishop and FBI agent Olivia Warren team up to investigate paranormal activity. They seek help from Bishop’s father, Walter, a brilliant (but possibly insane) scientist who is being held in a mental institution. Fringe explores mysteries of the paranormal as well as the relationships between the characters, and is steeped in mythology.

It sounds familiar doesn't it?

X-files?

Well, I watched it and I really enjoyed the pilot. Even though the series may be a retread of the same formula already been done what makes it a bit different is the relationships. The Scientist mentioned in the blurb is a nut job. Think Dr Frankenstein meets Rain Man. And the only one who can reach him or keep him in check is his son who wants nothing to do with him because of their shared sketchy past. The son is a genius like his father but has used his smarts for his own gain with hustling people and the like. The main character the FBI agent… ehhh… I could take her or leave her. She doesn't bring anything new. And she's okay looking. The pilot was a fun ride and there's an arcing story with developing technology far beyond what the world realizes. Which may be interesting.

So did anyone check out this new series?
What did you think?
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
ozoneocean at 9:46PM, Sept. 12, 2008
(online)
You know the unicorn doesn't let me watch that sort of thing… How could you even ask such a question knowing what you do? o_o

—————–

Sounds like Millennium, hmm…

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
TheMidge28 at 5:17AM, Sept. 15, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
You know the unicorn doesn't let me watch that sort of thing… How could you even ask such a question knowing what you do? o_o

—————–

Sounds like Millennium, hmm…

Well, surprisingly the unicorn was over at my place to see the premier.
It sure loves popcorn and melting faces. :(

the premise sounds like a lot of other shows quite honestly.
There's this other show called The Eleventh Hour on BBC that sounds similar.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:25PM
ozoneocean at 5:46AM, Sept. 15, 2008
(online)
TheMidge28
Well, surprisingly the unicorn was over at my place to see the premier.
It sure loves popcorn and melting faces. :(
More like melting faeces ;)

If I get the chance, I'll check it out :)

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
albone at 6:58AM, Sept. 16, 2008
(online)
I read that this is X-files meets Twilight Zone and in that, it failed miserably. The only thing X-files about it is a female FBI agent. Olivia, as a character, was passionate but kind of boring. Why should we care about her? We're told that she has integrity and clearly she loves her man, but it didn't do it for me. That being said, I think I have a new candidate to play Sabrina in the never-happening Rival Angels movie. :P

Peter was probably the best character and really, the least known, which always happens because our minds fill in the blanks with some really cool shit. I'm sure the more we get to know him, the less we'll like him.

Always good to see Denethor/Walter.

The story in the pilot was good. Had a couple of swerves that I didn't see coming as well as a cool couple of twists here and there. Anyone else notice the LOST music before going to commercial? I think I will give this series one more chance to wow me.
You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor!
last edited on July 14, 2011 10:48AM
Hawk at 1:25PM, Sept. 16, 2008
(online)
I watched the first episode and I think I enjoyed it. I mean, it kept me interested until then end, had a pretty impressive budget, and planted plenty of seeds to make me think, “Hmmm… That'll be important later”. I could foresee myself enjoying this show if all goes well.

One character bothered me a little though… I can't remember his name, but he's the guy they picked up in Iraq and the son of that crazy guy. He's not a bad character and the comic relief he provides helps the show, but he needs to provide that comic relief less frequently. I just remember several occasions where he would say something and I would think, “Okay, you just delivered a sassy one-liner five seconds ago. You need to shut up now.”

Hopefully they can keep this show good. As an X-Files fan I watched one of my favorite shows become tarnished by outside influences. Good luck with Fringe, Bad Robot.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
Wills42 at 9:24AM, Sept. 24, 2008
(online)
I liked the cow :D
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:50PM
blntmaker at 11:21AM, Sept. 28, 2008
(online)
I love Dr. Walter Bishop and also…you gotta love that cow and the pictures they post in between commercials (Look closely at what's in them people). Blair Brown with a mechanical arm???? Come on, that begs lots of questions and her character as the tech executive is pretty creepy!

Along with the fact that its like Lost's distant cousin (Same music composer Michael Giacchino with his glissando intros/closes and if you haven't noticed the way they unload a story is similiar…slow camera spans to reveal something shocking) - This show is a keeper. Oh yes, and the way they have that 3D like text of a location hidden in the camera span (Harvard University) - Looks like the text they use in the opening theme of Lost.

What else am I suppose to watch? THE MENTALIST????

Seriously, I'm hooked.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved