Media Megaforum

FUTURAMA
shaneronzio at 8:30AM, Nov. 25, 2008
(online)
My Daughter loves this show, she had a fit in the middle of a movie store the other day because she absolutely had to see BENDERS GAME.
It is a fun show to watch with her, because I have to be constantly ready with the remote to…MUTE or skip any disturbing weirdness.

Bender kicks ass.

oh…yeah…BENDERS GAME is probably one of the best futurama adventures ever conceived.
Current Project:CROSS WORLDS NEXUS
Updates Monday, Wenzday & FRIDAY
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:33PM
skoolmunkee at 9:48AM, Nov. 25, 2008
(online)
Futurama is one of my favorite tv shows of all time. It's up there with Quantum Leap, XFiles, and Simpsons. Oh and Colombo! Can't forget Colombo. When they announced that the futurama movies were actually going to happen, I was overjoyed…. I live in England and have been importing the movies from the US as they've been coming out, rather than wait the couple extra months for them to arrive here. :) Although Bender's Game isn't here yet…
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:41PM
Hawk at 10:40AM, Nov. 25, 2008
(online)
Wow, skoolmunkee… we have VERY similar tastes.

I love Futurama. It had the misfortune of having smarter, more sophisticated humor than Simpsons or Family guy, and maybe that's why FOX ruined its chances. But these movies have been great so far. I think Bender's Big Score has been my favorite, but Bender's Game was a lot of fun. The first half of it was especially funny. I'm sad that we only have one more movie to look forward to.
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:46PM
kingofsnake at 11:32AM, Nov. 25, 2008
(online)
I actually hated Bender's Game. And I agree Bender's Big Score is the best movie so far. The first time I watched Bender's Game I thought it just wasn't as good as the previous movies, but the second time I decided I actively didn't like it. The story was convoluted. And I could've forgive that if it were as funny as the beast with a billion backs, but I thought most of the jokes were pretty weak too. I think there were only one or two genuinely funny moments, and almost all of the jokes were throw-away gags. Like Fry says one thing and then does the opposite. “Theres so many Killbots chasing us I cant count them all… three I think.” Thats 75% of the jokes in Bender's Game.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:16PM
Mushroomcomix at 8:49PM, Nov. 25, 2008
(offline)
I absolutely love Futurama, when it got canceled I was pissed. I own the series DVDs and the movies. I seriously think they should just cancel the Simpsons and bring this back. The Simpsons are old and hanging on by their skin and should leave before it's to late.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
ozoneocean at 9:45PM, Nov. 25, 2008
(online)
Futurama is one of the few things I miss about TV… It was great until the Fox cable channel here messed it up and just kept repeating certain episodes. And then they got rid of it altogether. That, among a couple of similar moronic programming fuckups on the useless Murdoch controlled pay TV service here made me cancel it. And from then on I quit TV because free to air was even worse.

last edited on July 14, 2011 2:32PM
skoolmunkee at 2:55AM, Nov. 26, 2008
(online)
Hawk
Wow, skoolmunkee… we have VERY similar tastes.

Ah, I think lots of people like the first shows I listed… but Colombo makes my list special! Only the coolest people like Colombo. If you like Columbo also then I can be your friend. :kitty:

Oh and the Hercule Poirot movies with David Suchet. Those DVDs are still too expensive for me though…
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
ozoneocean at 3:41AM, Nov. 26, 2008
(online)
skoolmunkee
Colombo
Honestly, that show deserves its own thread.

I'm not interested in collecting Futurama DVDs but Columbo is definitely on the list.

JoeL_CQB at 11:16AM, Nov. 26, 2008
(online)
I still watch the re-runs on Comedy Central. and I've heard rumors that Matt Groening is trying to get Futurama started again.

A bit of a tangent, Bender's voice actor also does the voice of Marcus Pheonix in Gears of War.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:10PM
skoolmunkee at 12:51PM, Nov. 26, 2008
(online)
Pretty hard to believe John DiMaggio stared out doing “additional voices” in Princess Mononoke (as well as other low profile stuff) before Bender… he hit gold there. I like his beatboxing :kitty:

He had a bit part in a CSI NY once… I had to double check on IMDB just to make sure it was really him.
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
Exzachly at 2:22PM, Nov. 26, 2008
(online)
We're owl exterminators
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:25PM
worstcase at 10:19AM, Nov. 28, 2008
(online)
Hey, Futurama IS coming back. Now I'm excited.
last edited on July 14, 2011 4:51PM
isukun at 4:53PM, Nov. 28, 2008
(online)
Pretty hard to believe John DiMaggio stared out doing “additional voices” in Princess Mononoke (as well as other low profile stuff) before Bender… he hit gold there.

If you're going by imdb, they list movies based on their original release date. In the case of Princess Mononoke, that is the 1997 Japanese release, not the later November 1999 American release. John DiMaggio had already made his debut as Bender eight months before Mononoke hit theaters. I even recall news that he had been chosen for the role as Gonza primarily because of his work on Futurama. He did have other bit roles before that, but a lot of your higher profile voice actors get their start in live action TV and movies. Out of the rest of the Futurama cast, I think Billy West is really the only “career” voice actor of the bunch.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
ozoneocean at 7:40PM, Nov. 28, 2008
(online)
isukun
Billy West
That's the Stimpy guy right?

jalford at 2:50AM, Nov. 29, 2008
(online)
The last movie, Into The Wild Green Yonder, will come out sometime next year.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:06PM
BlkKnight at 8:23AM, Nov. 29, 2008
(online)
ozoneocean
isukun
Billy West
That's the Stimpy guy right?

Yes, he is.
That's “Dr. BlkKnight” to all of you.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:26AM
skoolmunkee at 9:08AM, Nov. 29, 2008
(online)
isukun
Out of the rest of the Futurama cast, I think Billy West is really the only “career” voice actor of the bunch.

Maurice LaMarche and Tress MacNeille were already pretty big. I'd count them as cast members although they aren't one of the core group, they're in pretty much every episode. I really dislike Tress though, she only has the one voice and I got sick of it back in 1994.

It made me really happy to see Dan Castellaneta as Robot Devil in Beast with a Billion Backs. I love all the Futurama side-characters but I have my favorites :kitty:
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
isukun at 8:14PM, Nov. 29, 2008
(online)
When I say “career” voice actors, I'm referring to people who started in that field and remained there (plus I was pretty much just thinking of the core cast more than everybody who ever acted in the series). A lot of your prominent voice actors start out in live action TV and movies and move into voice acting. Of the three you mentioned, only Tress MacNeille actually started out doing voice work. LaMarche got his start on a Canadian cop show and Dan Castellaneta got his start doing bit roles in Hollywood films and still takes a lot of live action parts.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:04PM
skoolmunkee at 3:57AM, Nov. 30, 2008
(online)
I'm just not as specific as you :) I mentioned Dan as an aside though, I don't consider him a regular on Futurama. He's only been in what, 3 episodes?

I should email my sister and find out when she's sending Bender's Game… I want it before Christmas :[
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
ozoneocean at 4:31AM, Nov. 30, 2008
(online)
skoolmunkee
I should email my sister and find out when she's sending Bender's Game… I want it before Christmas :[
Be careful about those import duties and taxes! lol!

harkovast at 3:31PM, Dec. 4, 2008
(online)
Futurama was okay, it got better as it went on, but it didn't truly wow me.
Reasons for the lack of wow?
1)Fry is always bored and disinterested in the future, meaning I don't cheer for him and find myself not caring about the future he is in. I know this is meant to be funny but if the main character cant get excited about the show, why the hell should I?

2) Characters and the background changing to fit cheap gags. Like when bender suddenly became obsessed with being remembered, then never mentions this again. If the characters and world are inconsistent, it makes me not care about so their plight is not funny or dramatic.

3)Too many characters are just borrowed from the simpsons. Leela is a hybrid marge and lisa, while if you combine fry and bender you get 3/4 of a homer. The slobby, useless man and disapproving, highly competent woman is an incredibly tired comedy format.

But then again….The show did have Zap Branigan!
Putting the big Z in a show is a bold move, straight out of Tsung-Zu's The Art of War. Or my own text, Zap Branigan's big book of war!

For more Harkovast related goings on, go to the Harkovast Forum
last edited on July 14, 2011 12:42PM
Mushroomcomix at 3:51PM, Dec. 4, 2008
(offline)
harkovast
2) Characters and the background changing to fit cheap gags. Like when bender suddenly became obsessed with being remembered, then never mentions this again. If the characters and world are inconsistent, it makes me not care about so their plight is not funny or dramatic.

Isn't this true in most every cartoon? They are pretty consistent with their story lines and character types. Remember Fry becoming his own Grandpa? Did that not end up saving the world? The important stuff stays the same in the end…like Fry's obsession with Leela.

I think your point works much better in Family Guy and the Simpsons…didn't the way Homer and Marge got together change like 4 times in the last 4 seasons? And the Characters backgrounds in Family Guy change at least every 3 episodes.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:08PM
nevetsforever at 1:19PM, Feb. 6, 2009
(offline)
harkovast
Futurama was okay, it got better as it went on, but it didn't truly wow me.
Reasons for the lack of wow?
1)Fry is always bored and disinterested in the future, meaning I don't cheer for him and find myself not caring about the future he is in. I know this is meant to be funny but if the main character cant get excited about the show, why the hell should I?

It didn't start out that way, he was very excited about being in the future, but some episodes touch on the fact that he misses things about the past (his girlfriend, his dog, etc).

Otherwise, just like anything else, he gets used to it. Plus, his overwhelming personality trait is probably laziness, followed by stupidity, and those traits, while they actually make a more interesting character in Fry than say, Peter Griffin, tend to lead to boredom.

Show's great. Wish it was never cancelled in the first place, I'm not really into the movies.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:12PM
Product Placement at 7:25PM, Feb. 6, 2009
(online)
nevetsforever
It didn't start out that way, he was very excited about being in the future, but some episodes touch on the fact that he misses things about the past (his girlfriend, his dog, etc).
I freaking loved in the beginning of one of the early episodes, while he was still exited about being in the future, the fact that he noticed that all the cereal mascots had been promoted over the time. Admiral Crunch? Arch Duke Chocula?

Oh and that dog episode was specifically made to make grown men cry.
Those were my two cents.
If you have any other questions, please deposit a quarter.
This space for rent.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:50PM
nevetsforever at 1:34PM, Feb. 7, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement

…it worked so well!
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:12PM
Mushroomcomix at 2:32PM, Feb. 7, 2009
(offline)
That was the saddest cartoon episode I have ever seen, I think it was made specifically to make grown men cry :)

I love the movies, I just picked up all three of them on sale :) I can't wait for the new one to come out.

I have often wondered what happened between the last actual episode where Fry got the robot devils hands to make a concert for Leela, and at the end when it appeared that Fry finally got Leela and the first movie where she is once again not interested in him.
last edited on July 14, 2011 2:09PM
skoolmunkee at 4:10PM, Feb. 7, 2009
(online)
Mushroomcomix
That was the saddest cartoon episode I have ever seen, I think it was made specifically to make grown men cry :)

At least they fixed it in the first movie. :]
  IT'S OLD BATMAN
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:42PM
confusedsoul at 3:42PM, Feb. 12, 2009
(online)
Mushroomcomix

I love the movies, I just picked up all three of them on sale :) I can't wait for the new one to come out.

I have often wondered what happened between the last actual episode where Fry got the robot devils hands to make a concert for Leela, and at the end when it appeared that Fry finally got Leela and the first movie where she is once again not interested in him.

I'm not sure that was the last episode. Most people seem to think it's the Space Wasps.

Futurama does make you feel more for the characters. Case and point- Fry's dog, the space wasp episode and Fry's quest for a lucky clover.
last edited on July 14, 2011 11:44AM
lastcall at 5:32PM, Feb. 12, 2009
(offline)
Mushroomcomix
I absolutely love Futurama, when it got canceled I was pissed.

Yeah FOX has a tendency for cancelling the best shows they have. Among them are:

-Family Guy (now back in production)
-The Tick
-Dark Angel
-Wonderfalls (one of my favorite shows)
-Futurama
-Undeclared
-The Ben Stiller Show
-Boston Public/Ally McBeal
-Arrested Development
-Firefly

..A great quote from Peter Griffin in Season 4, episode 1 (the year Fox brought them back):

Peter: Everybody I've got bad news. We've been cancelled.
Lois: Oh no Peter! How could they do that?
Peter: Well unfortuantely Lois, there's just no more room on the schedule. We just gotta accept the fact that FOX has to make room for terrific shows like Dark Angel, Titus, Undeclared, Action, That 80's Show, Wonder Falls, Fast Lane, Andy Richter Controls The Universe, Skin, Girl's Club, Cracking Up, The Pitts, Firefly, Get Real, Freaky Links, Wanda At Large, Costello, The Lone Gunman, A Minute with Stan Hooper, Normal Ohio, Pasadena, Harsh Realm, Keen Eddy, The Street, American Embassy, Cedric The Entertainer, The Tick, Louie, And Greg The Bunny….
Lois: Is there no hope?
Peter: Well I suppose if ALL those shows go down the tubes we might have a shot.
last edited on July 14, 2011 1:28PM
Ryuthehedgewolf at 5:49PM, Feb. 12, 2009
(offline)
Product Placement

I think that episode was the only episode, of any TV show ever, to almost make me cry.
last edited on July 14, 2011 3:16PM

Forgot Password
©2011 WOWIO, Inc. All Rights Reserved